All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

I think you can compare A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. Yes the one is top down and the other 3D but with the PXS/N64 area there was a switch from 2D-sprite based games to 3D-polygon ones. So Nintendo took a risk and made it in 3D and succeeded where so many game series failed (Castlevania for example). In addition the switch from pixel based to polygon based engines was a unique development.

Also I feel that OOT is a Link to the Past in 3D. Both games have many similarities in their structure and tool-set (most of the equipment from the SNES game is present in the N64 one as well as the deeds you have to fulfill).

I don't know about that. As I said I prefer other Zelda games over OOT (and Chrono Trigger over any FF game) but both games where highly influential on how video games look and feel today. So both games are very good but as always when stuff gets hyped you can dial it down a notch or two.

Influential on how video games in general look and feel now? Highly debatable; the blocky polygonal look had been done before (Virtua Fighter 2, Jumping Flash), and Zelda especially is much too colorful by modern standards.

Influential on their respective franchises, no doubt. But I'm not saying that's a good thing. I'd already stated that I felt that OoT killed some of the magic of the original and ALttP. I've played Zelda games since then, and I've enjoyed them, but I've preferred Link's Awakening and the Oracle games to anything Nintendo's done with Zelda in 3D.

As for Final Fantasy, the only reason I can't say definitively that VII was my least favorite in the series is because I played XIII. Again, I can't deny that Final Fantasy VII was hugely influential on the series after that, but in my book that really wasn't a good thing. Indecipherable plots, minimal mechanical difference between characters such that I wound up using the same three for the majority of the game... I couldn't even bring myself to finish XII or XIII.

Put more succinctly, influential isn't the same as good.

For clarity's (and Archer's) sake, though, I will stress again that I am of the opinion that OoT is a good game. Just not "best game EVARRR!!1!!1!!" or whatever.

For extra clarity's sake, I am saying Final Fantasy VII was mediocre at best.

Guest davidwhangchoi

agree on FF7 (had to share bc i was feeling the same thing) making the FF games lose their magic... (although FF9 went back to it's magic and it's my favorite.) it ticks me off when people of a generation who started gaming FF7 as their first rpg. they;re the ones who think it's the greatest ff ever. i have friends that play cover songs ff7 on the piano, replay all the mini gms. and swear by ff7, it's the greatest ever. i always ask this question:

have you played 4,5,6? they always say i never got a chance... it bothers me when they never played the older ones and they talk like this. (but that's all they know is FF7)

that tetsuya guy is the one who changed everything leaving us w/ 7,8,10,12,13 style which i do not favor over the yoshi amano's. but the guy left and took his cutesy style over to microsoft to make dragon blows...

FF7 was caught up in the sheer amount of handdrawn stuff , 4 cd discs at the time, cgi and misleading commercials on TV, the production values were so high people forgot about the chemistry and story that made FF's identity.

i do like we're getting another top down zelda for 3ds, at least Nintendo hasn't committed zelda fully to 3d completely but still acknowledges a link to the past is important by the upcoming sequel. looking forward to it...

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Ok, I am going to be "that guy" (and yes, I know I do this a lot): the hipster hate on FF7 is a little ridiculous. You cannot ignore the signifigance of the game and its impact on the gaming industry. It may not fit your tastes (which is fine), but to call the product mediocre, overhyped, or even bad is simply ludicrous.

Personally, I've played and completed Final Fantasy 1-12 (excluding 11) and Tactics; I've beaten many of those games multiple times. My first experience with the franchise was the original on the NES. For my money, FF7 was the last in the series that actually felt like a proper Final Fantasy game to me. Sure, 9 came close, but it goes off the rails on the last disc. 10 isn't too far off the mark, but its a clear move away from the traditions of the series. 12 is grand, but has a host of problems and could have been named anything, really.

I put the question forth: have any of you played 2 and 3? The originals, not the remakes? (I emulated them back in the day with english landguage patches. Yeah, I'm that guy, too). You cannot truly understand a bad FF game until you've played the original 2. And 3 is among the very best in the series, absolutely not to be missed. But hey, that's just me. I still consider the original NES FF is my favorite of the franchise.

Guest davidwhangchoi

at least you played all of them so you have credibility...

i'm not bashing it (i guess my intents are not to but perhaps i am actually bashing) but i don't think FF7 was that great of a story. i didn't like the ending. Aeris... i didn't even know she was gone until i beat the game... i thought she was coming back. the scene done so broken that i didn't feel any emotion. the ending with the red dogs was dumb... but i was very excited about it at the time... bc it was the first non Nintendo offering by square and i kept looking at the EGM, GamePro, articles and stared at the pictures all the time.

production wise reminds me of GTA IV amazing world groundbreaking graphics but poor story...

Influential on how video games in general look and feel now? Highly debatable; the blocky polygonal look had been done before (Virtua Fighter 2, Jumping Flash), and Zelda especially is much too colorful by modern standards.

Influential on their respective franchises, no doubt. But I'm not saying that's a good thing. I'd already stated that I felt that OoT killed some of the magic of the original and ALttP. I've played Zelda games since then, and I've enjoyed them, but I've preferred Link's Awakening and the Oracle games to anything Nintendo's done with Zelda in 3D.

As for Final Fantasy, the only reason I can't say definitively that VII was my least favorite in the series is because I played XIII. Again, I can't deny that Final Fantasy VII was hugely influential on the series after that, but in my book that really wasn't a good thing. Indecipherable plots, minimal mechanical difference between characters such that I wound up using the same three for the majority of the game... I couldn't even bring myself to finish XII or XIII.

Put more succinctly, influential isn't the same as good.

For clarity's (and Archer's) sake, though, I will stress again that I am of the opinion that OoT is a good game. Just not "best game EVARRR!!1!!1!!" or whatever.

I mean not the polygon graphics since there where other games before that even on the SNES (like Star Fox) but how 3 dimensional adventure games work. I mean when I play Uncharted it's basically the same. :p

FF7 has those huge set-pieces of "epic" (with lots of cut-scenes) moments with ok gameplay in the middle (most fights during the story line where not that difficult) that can be found in many present games (CoD for example).

You're right. Influential does not equals good but if you're interested in video games you should have played some influential games even if it's only to know what the buzz is about.

I don't say anything about FF7 because nostalgia is a funny thing. I picked it up a few years ago and put like 80 hours in and I still enjoyed it. So that's that. OOT I pick up every once and a while and play it. Even for todays standards it is a fun play and I feel it is a great game.

I also think that the best game of all times is something highly depending on the person playing. So for me it is and will always be Chrono Trigger and for you it might be something different.

FF7 was the first Final Fantasy I played the whole way through and beat way back in 1998. It wasn't first experience with the franchise. That honor went to FF6 which I played at my cousins and liked what I experienced. Having played most of the series, I have to echo some of Duke's thoughts. VII wasn't the best game in the series but it was incredibly influential. I've played it numerous times and still enjoy it. While Tetsuya Nomura was on the team, he wasn't at the helm of the game. When Nomura took over after Sakaguchi left, he took the franchise more in the direction of his Kingdom Hearts series and tried to appeal it more towards anime fans (FF7: Advent Children, Crisis Core).

I agree that VII doesn't warrant the hype. I've met people who rave about it but only were exposed to it through Advent Children. (Mostly younger fans)

It's still a game that I think any RPG fan or gamer in general should atleast play, or try to play. Same with Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid and Xenogears.

FF7s soundtrack is still one of favorites.

Edited by Shadow

FF8 storywise I thought was interesting up until Disc 3 where the whole plot seems to misstep and fall on its face. I didn't care for the junction system nor how magic is treated as a commodity. That said, it's still one of the most memorable games for me. Maybe it was because I was coming off the FF7 high and wanting more. Being in high school at the time also helped me want to relate to the characters more. The music once again was well done and I was just blown away by the CG scene's, especially the battle scene between Balamb and Galbadia Garden.

Edited by Shadow

I have tried, and tried, and tried, to finish FF2. Pure JP, partially translated ROM, and actual US release eventually. Made no difference. Even "cheating" the levelling system---just horrid, horrid gameplay. Got to the Tower Of Mysidia(?) in the US version (furthest I ever got) and that was it--couldn't continue, could find no way to continue that didn't require literally 2400 uses of the "Esuna" spell to get all 4 characters to learn Esuna strong enough (level 6) to cure "Confuse". (because like every other enemy there casts confuse-all every other turn----and so every battle turns into "my party kills itself, very slowly". And I looked and searched and could find no item nor armor that prevented confuse. So basically----impassable.

Combined with the fact that the fighting system itself is very slow and no fun at all.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I've got a North American vita, which isn't region locked, so I'll be playing it on that. I would have gotten it for PS3, but recently, I find myself actually using my vita more and more for gameplay.

The game has no plot, and all menus are subtitled in english, so I've heard its one of the easier games to import. The entirety of the game focuses around building your own "dream" Gundam machine, which is pretty cool.

It corresponds well to the upcoming build fighters anime as well, which I'm sure will drive the games popularity somewhat.

Anyways, I'm desperate for a Gundam game, so this will be my fix :)

ARCHER this news is for you.

http://blog.yahoo.com/_ED274AZGFINLESDVVHRADMVIMU/articles/1287162/index

You cannot ignore the signifigance of the game and its impact on the gaming industry. It may not fit your tastes (which is fine), but to call the product mediocre, overhyped, or even bad is simply ludicrous.

Bull.

I can most certainly call it both over-hyped and mediocre. Things can have an impact and still be mediocre, over-hyped, or even bad. Cases in point, Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga. I'm not arguing that the game made a huge impact; it's often credited as the reason the original PlayStation beat the N64. I'm not denying it's influence; you can hardly play a JRPG anymore that doesn't have a convoluted plot centered around an androgynous dude with spiky hair and a giant sword. What I am saying is that, despite its significance, it's not very good. It's not horrible, either. Just mediocre.

You do make a good point about 2. 2 was bad. 3 was great, though. 4 was the best in the series. You say 7 was the last one that felt like a Final Fantasy for you, but for me it was 6. 6 had a sort of generic story that was fantastically told through the huge cast of characters, many of which were shuffled in an out of the party, which helped you play them all. But using Magicite to teach party members spells was the beginning of the end of the class/job system. By FF7, there weren't enough mechanical differences between the characters for me to care which I was using... I played 90% of FF7 with Cloud, Tifa, and Red XII, 90% of FF8 with Squall, Rinoa, and Selphie, etc.

xenogears was awesome!!!

This is absolute truth.

WOW, thanks for the input guys, but I didn't see this becoming a FF7 sucks thread (!). Also, thanks for the news David, looking forward to a dynasty warriors series on vita.

And in other news for mobile gaming, I think this is FANTASTIC news:

http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-quest-i-viii-heading-to-ios-and-android-263208.phtml

Dragon Quest 1 - 8 coming to iOS and android. I never actually got a chance to beat 8, but got quite far. I'm looking forward to doing so now on mobile!

Honestly, I'm a little surprised a mobile device can handle something like dragon quest 8 though...

WOW, thanks for the input guys, but I didn't see this becoming a FF7 sucks thread (!). Also, thanks for the news David, looking forward to a dynasty warriors series on vita.

And in other news for mobile gaming, I think this is FANTASTIC news:

http://www.destructoid.com/dragon-quest-i-viii-heading-to-ios-and-android-263208.phtml

Dragon Quest 1 - 8 coming to iOS and android. I never actually got a chance to beat 8, but got quite far. I'm looking forward to doing so now on mobile!

Honestly, I'm a little surprised a mobile device can handle something like dragon quest 8 though...

Hmm... I've got mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, Square-Enix's games tend to be pricey, and the Android versions are usually half-arsed ports of the iOS versions.

On the other hand, Dragon Quest 3 is one of my all-time favorite JRPGs.

Bull.

I can most certainly call it both over-hyped and mediocre. Things can have an impact and still be mediocre, over-hyped, or even bad. Cases in point, Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga. I'm not arguing that the game made a huge impact; it's often credited as the reason the original PlayStation beat the N64. I'm not denying it's influence; you can hardly play a JRPG anymore that doesn't have a convoluted plot centered around an androgynous dude with spiky hair and a giant sword. What I am saying is that, despite its significance, it's not very good. It's not horrible, either. Just mediocre.

You do make a good point about 2. 2 was bad. 3 was great, though. 4 was the best in the series. You say 7 was the last one that felt like a Final Fantasy for you, but for me it was 6. 6 had a sort of generic story that was fantastically told through the huge cast of characters, many of which were shuffled in an out of the party, which helped you play them all. But using Magicite to teach party members spells was the beginning of the end of the class/job system. By FF7, there weren't enough mechanical differences between the characters for me to care which I was using... I played 90% of FF7 with Cloud, Tifa, and Red XII, 90% of FF8 with Squall, Rinoa, and Selphie, etc.

This is absolute truth.

FF7 isn't Justin Beiber or Lady Gaga; FF7 is the Beatles or Led Zeppelin. You confuse what is momentarily popular with what has sustained influence. You may not like it (just as some people don't like the Beatles or Led Zeppelin), but it doesn't change how it is universally viewed.

And to your complaints about everyone being the same, well, that's been status quo since the introduction of the Jobs system in FF5. I actually kind of agree with you on this one, but its been the way of things for 20 years.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm ripping a joke straight out of the comments section in polygon:

So that’s how Sony managed to get the PS4 100 dollars cheaper."

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/10/4823796/report-foxconn-chinese-students-forced-to-manufacture-ps4

it's not true bc xbone is manufactured there as well :p

Edited by davidwhangchoi

FF8 storywise I thought was interesting up until Disc 3 where the whole plot seems to misstep and fall on its face. I didn't care for the junction system nor how magic is treated as a commodity. That said, it's still one of the most memorable games for me. Maybe it was because I was coming off the FF7 high and wanting more. Being in high school at the time also helped me want to relate to the characters more. The music once again was well done and I was just blown away by the CG scene's, especially the battle scene between Balamb and Galbadia Garden.

What he said, word for word.

Can anyone give me advice on choosing a good pair of headphones for gaming, and how I can listen to Dolby Digital sound on it?

I've been looking to replace my old home theater system for a while now, and I thought maybe headphones might be a good alternative--saves space, no need to keep the volume down past midnight, and super portable.

I've set my sights on the Philips Fidelio L1. Is this suitable for gaming? My main concern is the ability of headphones to process Dolby Digital surround sound. I hear that some headphones actually have separate surround speakers instead of "simulated" surround sound; those would be preferable.

Edited by GU-11

Can anyone give me advice on choosing a good pair of headphones for gaming, and how I can listen to Dolby Digital sound on it?

I've been looking to replace my old home theater system for a while now, and I thought maybe headphones might be a good alternative--saves space, no need to keep the volume down past midnight, and super portable.

I've set my sights on the Philips Fidelio L1. Is this suitable for gaming? My main concern is the ability of headphones to process Dolby Digital surround sound. I hear that some headphones actually have separate surround speakers instead of "simulated" surround sound; those would be preferable.

Sennheiser with an Astro Mixamp.

Sennheiser with an Astro Mixamp.

Thanks, I'll check that one out.

So, basically all I have to do is connect the PS3 to the TV using an HDMI cable and plug the headphones (via the mixamp) into the TV?

UPDATE:

I just browsed through my TV's user manual and came across this:

Surround: "S-FORCE Front Surround": Available for normal stereo broadcast and 5.1CH broadcast surround audio, and the audio input from connected equipment.

Does that mean if I connect my PS3 to the TV via HDMI cable, activate this S-Force Front Surround, and plug in a pair of headphones, I'll be able to get at least simulated surround sound from the headphones?

Edited by GU-11

Picked up Pokemon X, although I probably won't get a chance to play until later this week. Gonna go with charmander and froakie as starters.

That's basically my plan, except I won't actually pick it up until later today, on my way to my dad's to watch the Penguins/Lightning game, and I won't start playing it until I finish replaying Platinum (I already finished Fire Red, SoulSilver, and Emerald, and White/Black 2 are still too recent for me to want to replay). Could be awhile; I'm only three badges in on Platinum.

Truthfully I'm enjoying the crap out of PokemonX/Y. My only gripe thus far is that within the first 20 minutes of playing I must of encountered a dozen Pikachu's when back in the day it was hard to get one. But that's not really the gripe, the gripe is the call. Pikachu is the only one I've encountered with the call actually being "Pika". That just sets everything off as weird for the other pokemon with actual "animalistic" growls.

Ah, I broke down and bought Pokemon Y, as I'm sure Nintendo expected I would the minute they announced the awesome-sauce Mega Charizard X is the the game with the legendary deer instead of Yveltal, the awesome dark bird thingy.

I think this kind of works out, anyway. X/Y have the best starters since first gen (which is to say, I hate the 2nd gen starters, think Torchic is ok out of the Gen 3s, think the Gen 4s are decent, and loath all of the Gen 5s). I was thinking Froakie because I want Charmander for Mega Charizard X, but I also kind of wanted Fennekin. This way, I can do Fennekin and... I dunno, probably Squirtle in Y, and still get Yveltal in Y. Down the road, I can borrow my dad's 3DS, trade some of the awesome Pokemon from one to the other, then keep that one as my long-term save and replay the game on the other cart whenever I get an urge.