All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

Titanfall was only supposed to be exclusive at game launch (which is why we saw PS4 dev kits in their behind the scenes video), but MS dumped a ton of cash on EA recently to keep it exclusive, unbeknownst to Respawn. However, future Titanfall releases will come to the PS4.

So was MS so afraid of PS4's launch hype that they had to cockblock just to keep people from defecting to Sony? And as I understand it, Titanfall won't even be out at Xbone's launch.

So was MS so afraid of PS4's launch hype that they had to cockblock just to keep people from defecting to Sony? And as I understand it, Titanfall won't even be out at Xbone's launch.

Likely. I'll get it for PC if the game is well received (as I did with Mass Effect), but I know not everyone has that option.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i had to thumb up that comment. 100% was thinking the same.

http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-titanfall-2-to-be-a-microsoft-exclusive-1454392369

tl;dr--Titanfall was only supposed to be exclusive at game launch (which is why we saw PS4 dev kits in their behind the scenes video), but MS dumped a ton of cash on EA recently to keep it exclusive, unbeknownst to Respawn. However, future Titanfall releases will come to the PS4.

So a multiplayer-centric game, of which I have no interest in because I don't give rat's arse about multiplayer, is going to be exclusive to the console I wasn't planning on buying anyway, but if for some reason I changed my mind I could still get the PC version, which would be my platform of choice even if their was a PS4 version. I guess this sucks for those of you who didn't want an Xbone but did want Titanfall, but this news has absolutely no impact on me.

At least MS isn't in charge of production. Otherwise, they would have pulled the Halo 2-for-PC crap (i.e., They released Halo 2 as a Windows Vista-only game to drive Vista sales. While it was quickly hacked to work on XP, this turned off a lot of people). If they even dare pull something like that to drive Windows 8/8.1 sales, there will be hell to pay. (Probably worst than what happened with Mass Effect)

Guest davidwhangchoi

Respawn has been genuinely apologetic about this, practically throwing EA under the bus. I wonder if they're having Activision flashbacks.

that's a good point... Vince seemed very independent and revealing he didn't know seems like EA doesn't communicate business decisions with Respawn...

EA doesn't have such great PR after the sims launch nightmare.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Respawn has been genuinely apologetic about this, practically throwing EA under the bus.

I don't blame them. EA probably said it in passing, "Oh yeah, we won't be distributing a version for the PS4 because Microsoft paid us a ton of money to withhold a PS4-version." But at the same time, if Respawn decided to distribute it themselves, I'm sure MS would have gone to them with a wad of cash asking them to hold off on a PS4-version.

I don't blame them. EA probably said it in passing, "Oh yeah, we won't be distributing a version for the PS4 because Microsoft paid us a ton of money to withhold a PS4-version." But at the same time, if Respawn decided to distribute it themselves, I'm sure MS would have gone to them with a wad of cash asking them to hold off on a PS4-version.

The kicker is they were already deep in development of the PS4 version,

The PlayPad Pro I ordered from Amazon came today.

Console mode works pretty much as advertised. I had no trouble browsing games on my computer downstairs from the TV upstairs, the game started just fine, and I was able to play.

I tried Arkham Origins, which I've basically finished, and Arkham City, which I had to start over on. Both games are supported by Nvidia's GeForce Experience app, and both were set to use the GeForce Optimized settings.

I won't say that you won't notice the lag, because I seemed to notice it. During a cutscene near the beginning of Arkham City, where Batman and Catwoman are talking, her lips and her voice were slightly out of sync. And, jumping off a rooftop, it seemed like Batman's response was a little off... like not exactly when you'd hit a button, but still fast enough to occur before you depressed it.

Despite my perception, I completed the fight outside the courthouse without taking a hit, and the fight inside the courthouse. On Arkham Origins, I did a crime in progress. In both games, combat seemed to flow as smoothly as it would when I'd play it directly on my PC. I was countering without any issues, my combo meter was going up, and I effortlessly executed takedowns. Noticeable or not, any lag wasn't affecting gameplay.

The biggest wrinkle is actually Nyko's PlayPad Pro controller. Despite the fact that the button placement and size are almost identical to an Xbox 360 controller (the face buttons are closer together, and may be a little smaller, but that's about it), it feels smaller. The handles are angled slightly more inward, and the controller is much lighter. Still, I'm not going to complain too much about a controller I bought for $20 feeling a little different and cheaper than a 360 pad.

I am going to complain, though. See, in Arkham City, whenever I'd push a direction the left stick, the game would respond as if I were simultaneously pressing the corresponding direction the the d-pad. I thought maybe it was an Arkham City thing, since Console Mode posts on tech blogs didn't have this issue with Origins. However, I try it on Origins, and sure enough, the same thing is happening. A quick Google search tells me this issue is widespread, but supposedly Nyko made a firmware fix for the controller. I say supposedly, because I don't know of anyone who's been able to apply it.

Nyko directs you to an Android app, designed specifically for the Shield with the latest update (which I have), although they claim it should work with any Android 4.3 device. Well, I can safely say that it doesn't. Myself, and everyone else, seems to report back that the app returns an error saying it can't connect to the controller, despite the controller showing in the bluetooth menu and input from the controller being detected by the Shield. Nyko has a different app for other devices with Android 4.2 and up, and it gives back the same error. As of yet, I've had no resolution for this issue.

TL:DR; Console Mode works pretty good, but Nvidia needs to make their own controller.

Guest davidwhangchoi

The PlayPad Pro I ordered from Amazon came today.

Console mode works pretty much as advertised. I had no trouble browsing games on my computer downstairs from the TV upstairs, the game started just fine, and I was able to play.

I tried Arkham Origins, which I've basically finished, and Arkham City, which I had to start over on. Both games are supported by Nvidia's GeForce Experience app, and both were set to use the GeForce Optimized settings.

I won't say that you won't notice the lag, because I seemed to notice it. During a cutscene near the beginning of Arkham City, where Batman and Catwoman are talking, her lips and her voice were slightly out of sync. And, jumping off a rooftop, it seemed like Batman's response was a little off... like not exactly when you'd hit a button, but still fast enough to occur before you depressed it.

Despite my perception, I completed the fight outside the courthouse without taking a hit, and the fight inside the courthouse. On Arkham Origins, I did a crime in progress. In both games, combat seemed to flow as smoothly as it would when I'd play it directly on my PC. I was countering without any issues, my combo meter was going up, and I effortlessly executed takedowns. Noticeable or not, any lag wasn't affecting gameplay.

TL:DR; Console Mode works pretty good, but Nvidia needs to make their own controller.

thanks for the review mike, it seems pretty ok and has minimum lag. sounds like the latecy is low enough to play most games except for twitch games like fighting or fps team death matches.

So...

I got Battlefield 4 on launch day and installed it, downloaded the patch and left it at that since I haven't had much time to play it. Then I heard about the issues...

Battlefield 4 is unplayable on the PC - The PC version suffers from crashes and freezes, making it practically unplayable.

So I decided to jump on a empty server to do my key bindings and controls and .... yeah I can't play this crap unless I want to induce a Pikachu-type seizure. I'm pretty sure the latest Nvidia drivers tried to cure graphics issues during beta but Jeebus, the flickering I see is not healthy. I have yet to actual play a round but yeah, this is not good. This should have stayed in beta for at least another month. At least I could somewhat play the beta. I've also heard the servers are suffering some horrible latency issues and crashes.

This is not looking good for DICE's Star Wars game.

Guest davidwhangchoi

new "stuff" found in X and Y by hackers.

warning these are prob saved for special promos by nintendo so if you just want to wait don't look. but it's on kotaku so the cats out of the bag..

Edited by davidwhangchoi

So I bought a Dual Shock 4 today, and for you who don't know it works on the PS3 via USB micro B, a few buttons don't work with the ps3 like the PS button(go figure), track pad/button, share and options buttons(yet they do act as start and select). It works fine on the XMB, and some games support it(GTA 5 doesn't unfortunately) but I was paying Battlefield 4 on it to get ahead on multiplayer when the PS4 hits, but only after a couple of hours my hand started to cramp. I'm wondering if if its because I'm used to the DS3 or because the controller is bigger, but anyway its a nicely built controller, doesn't feel plasticky it has a slick finish on front and a textured on back for gripping, the longer legs on the controller are nice aswell, and the dimples on the analog sticks took some getting use to, overall it nice, I just can't wait till the PS4 drops!

Guest davidwhangchoi

new trailer for link between two worlds. i have the 3ds xl bundle on pre-order. i like blk better wondering if i should just get a black one on sale now for 170 and get the game separately.

new trailer for link between two worlds. i have the 3ds xl bundle on pre-order. i like blk better wondering if i should just get a black one on sale now for 170 and get the game separately.

Depends on whether you want a physical copy of the game. Since Nintendo hasn't been discounting the digital versions, i've prefered the physical, myself.

Just hit level 60 on my DH on Diablo 3.... all of a sudden games feels boring.

Then play something that's not Diablo 3...

Anyway, for those of you tossing around the idea of picking up an Nvidia Shield, I've got two bits of updated information that might be of interest.

1. The controller issue? After a bit of internet research and discussing the matter with a Nyko rep, the issue seems to come down to the controller's firmware. Nyko has updated firmware to fix the issue, but depending on the installed firmware, you may or may not be able to apply the update without sending the controller back to Nyko.

2. The free PSP emulator PPSSPP for Android, which works pretty great on the Shield, was updated. After the update, it CAN play Macross Triangle Frontier! There's a few minor bugs. Most are graphics (Gerwalks are a little bouncy, there's boxes around a Valkyrie's exhaust), but nothing game breaking. Saving will cause the game to freeze, but even that can be worked around by turning Auto Save off in the options, then using PPSSPP's Save State.

EDIT: Gundam Assault Survive seems to work perfectly.

Edited by mikeszekely

Just hit level 60 on my DH on Diablo 3.... all of a sudden games feels boring.

I got to, maybe, level 40 on Diablo 3. The game is great, but it got boring for me before I could even get close to level cap.

I have Torchlight 2 and have thoroughly enjoyed the game thus far. I actually like it better than D3. The classes and abilities are all well-polished, so they play differently than each other. The worlds are a great mix of drab and vivid coloring, so it's not the same dungeony feel throughout the game, like D3 has. Give it a shot!

Just bought Call of Duty Ghosts for the PS3, but it didn't come with a hard copy user manual. Is that normal?

IIRC, all my other six PS3 games have hardcopy user manuals.

Graham

This is because the average 10-30 demographic that these games target are functionally illiterate anyways. Their main form of communication consists of a series of grunting noises punctuated by profanity.

This is because the average 10-30 demographic that these games target are functionally illiterate anyways. Their main form of communication consists of a series of grunting noises punctuated by profanity.

It's because the game controls are listed in-game, and there isn't really anything else going on with it that needs to be put into a manual. I'm not even sure why it even has a single-player campaign anymore.