All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

There were some really good games this year, but I'm still giving it to Bioshock infinite.

Anyways, I came to a brilliant logical conclusion recently. I'll need to get an Xbox One because if and when GTA Online comes to next-gen consoles, I'll need to still be on XBL so my existing characters/bank account/vehicles/properties will port over and I won't have to start from scratch. :mellow:

Guest davidwhangchoi

i just played killer instinct and fortza 5 on xbox one, they wouldn't let me use the ui but i got a sneak peak when my friend quit out of a game by accident. it looks really good. i may pick up a xbox one as well.

plus titanfall is attractive.

I did enjoy Tomb Raider a lot, not quite my favorite game this year but definitely top 3.

Tomb Raider... it wasn't a bad game, but it was too brief, with too few challenges, or hidden treasures to find. Once finished there's no reason to go back and play it again. I liked Tomb Raider Underworld a good deal more to be honest.

I don't really have a favorite game of the year right now, there were som decent ones, but nothing stand out to me.

I did enjoy Tomb Raider a lot, not quite my favorite game this year but definitely top 3.

Well, I'm pretty early in both games (just after the museum in TLoU and at my second stint of "shoot arrows at wolves" in TR. But I'm not particularly enamored with either yet. TLoU seems to be a pretty interesting story, but the gameplay is tedious. TR is a better game mechanically, but so far the story hasn't grabbed me and Lara seems really irritating.

Bioshock Infinite, on the the other hand, was solid gameplay set in a world I loved exploring and a story that was both engaging and a total mind-frak.

Guest davidwhangchoi

gloriouspcgamingmasterrace.png?w=248

Forza 5, Titanfall, and halo 5. And then there's Watch Dogs and Destiny which make me want to get a Next gen console in general.

i'm really digging the controller and the short flash i saw of the use of kinect with the ui, i think the xbox one has a lot of potential with it's exclusives and it's interface. perhaps it will take over my cable box/dvr. me and my friends felt that good about it seeing it today... it got me curious about it. (i just need it to hit 399 someway)

I'm with you on that one David. I'll pay $400 plus tax for one but that's it. I most likely won't get my next gen console until Destiny releases. That way all the kinks will be ironed out, hopefully a price drop will occur, and there will be enough games out to justify it's purchase.

Everyone waiting for a price drop should look into the past history in console price changes. Historically speaking, drops are usually only seen in the first year if the system is doing poorly. 2-3 years for a price drop is more realistic.

Guest davidwhangchoi

agree on the price drop pattern. i think there's a chance, if all the ps4's are sold out for the holidays, people may panic and pay for the xbox one at 499 just for the holiday season. my guess is after the christmas rush is when we'll see a clearer indication of sales at this price point. (i remember the ps3/wii release, people went crazy for the ps3 then the wii after there were no more 599/499usd ps3's avail that holiday but the ps3 didn't sell great once the panic died at that price point.)

the one thing i did notice is the xbox one is pretty hot putting my hand on top of the ventilation (very similar to my old scientific atlanta explorer cable box that needed much vent to dissipate heat.) so i think i understand why it needs to lie flat just by design with all the tv innards coupled w. the game components.)

yeah, i think i'm almost definitely picking it up as soon as a price drop hits. (i usually get all consoles at one point)

Edited by davidwhangchoi

agree on the price drop pattern. i think there's a chance, if all the ps4's are sold out for the holidays, people may panic and pay for the xbox one at 499 just for the holiday season. my guess is after the christmas rush is when we'll see a clearer indication of sales at this price point. (i remember the ps3/wii release, people went crazy for the ps3 then the wii after there were no more 599/499usd ps3's avail that holiday but the ps3 didn't sell great once the panic died at that price point.)

the one thing i did notice is the xbox one is pretty hot putting my hand on top of the ventilation (very similar to my old scientific atlanta explorer cable box that needed much vent to dissipate heat.) so i think i understand why it needs to lie flat just by design with all the tv innards coupled w. the game components.)

yeah, i think i'm almost definitely picking it up as soon as a price drop hits. (i usually get all consoles at one point)

My best friend sold his PS4, 3 games (1 was free), and a 2nd controller for $950 on eBay. Made ~270 profit.

Guest davidwhangchoi

duke, that's insane...i didn't open mine yet.... maybe i should do that too... jk, i prob keep it.

link between worlds is getting awesome reviews... i have the zelda 3ds xl pre ordered but i heard the blk xl will be 150 on blk friday so it will be cheaper to get that w/ a hard copy of the game than the 219 bundle.

either way i'm excited for an overhead view type zelda no more freaking wii swing your arms for 40 hrs nonsense.

polygon review: 9.5

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/15/5109688/the-legend-of-zelda-a-link-between-worlds-review-as-a-picture

When I started building dedicated PCs (gaming, home theater, and so on), I got out of consoles. My last console was the Wii, oddly enough, and now I can emulate all of the games I bought for it and still play them on my TV. I can even use the wiimote, if I wish to. I do the same emulation thing with a small library of PS2 favorites that I picked up. The rest of my gaming is dedicated to the PC.

The only time I get any console gaming in is when I visit with friends. For me, this is the right mix, because I have a tremendous gaming backlog already (Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, and so on). If I added the entire last generation or started fresh with this generation, I would be collecting games instead of playing them.

When I started building dedicated PCs (gaming, home theater, and so on), I got out of consoles. My last console was the Wii, oddly enough, and now I can emulate all of the games I bought for it and still play them on my TV. I can even use the wiimote, if I wish to. I do the same emulation thing with a small library of PS2 favorites that I picked up. The rest of my gaming is dedicated to the PC.

The only time I get any console gaming in is when I visit with friends. For me, this is the right mix, because I have a tremendous gaming backlog already (Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Dragon Age, and so on). If I added the entire last generation or started fresh with this generation, I would be collecting games instead of playing them.

That's basically me, except that enough games come out on console that I really want to play that I still wind up buying a console for a few games. For the PS3, for example, that's pretty much just Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, and God of War, plus a few sports games EA won't release on Origin (really just golf and hockey). For the Wii U, it was New Super Mario Bros U, and next week Super Mario 3D World.

Ok I know this is pointless posting during the PS4 release and not talking about the PS4 but I need to release some steam (no pun intended). I recently finished GTA V and thought I should give GTA IV a try since I never finished it. So I installed it and started the game....

...but no. I need do connect do Rockstar Social Club which I didn't know my email address and password because I used it like four years ago the last time. After a bit of trying I managed to log into the Social Club tried to run the game again and then...

...I need to log into Games for Windows Live (WTF). Same deal as before no idea about the email address nor the password. I assumed it was the same as the stupid sign in before because I signed in for that (is it allowed to swear on the board?) at the same time as I did for the Rockstar crap. So after a bit of trial and error I managed to log in into my awesome Windows Live account and thought I might be able to play the game...

.... but I can't because it still wants to update this account / reinstall GTA IV / accept the new ToS in a random order some steps several times and after like 45 minutes that felt like 450 I finally...

... decided to leave this crap alone.

Seriously I paid for this game. I think it would be easier to play GTA IV when I downloaded it from a torrent that scraped all this nonsense from the game.

Now I'm thinking if I should give my SNES a shot because there I only need to pop the cartridge into the system and switch it on....

!"§$!§"!°&!§"!°"§%&!"§$&&/$§%

Thanks for reading. :)

PS: Yeah I know there might be some fix that I can look up on the Internet but I'm really not in the mood at the moment.

Ok I know this is pointless posting during the PS4 release and not talking about the PS4 but I need to release some steam (no pun intended). I recently finished GTA V and thought I should give GTA IV a try since I never finished it. So I installed it and started the game....

...but no. I need do connect do Rockstar Social Club which I didn't know my email address and password because I used it like four years ago the last time. After a bit of trying I managed to log into the Social Club tried to run the game again and then...

...I need to log into Games for Windows Live (WTF). Same deal as before no idea about the email address nor the password. I assumed it was the same as the stupid sign in before because I signed in for that (is it allowed to swear on the board?) at the same time as I did for the Rockstar crap. So after a bit of trial and error I managed to log in into my awesome Windows Live account and thought I might be able to play the game...

.... but I can't because it still wants to update this account / reinstall GTA IV / accept the new ToS in a random order some steps several times and after like 45 minutes that felt like 450 I finally...

... decided to leave this crap alone.

Seriously I paid for this game. I think it would be easier to play GTA IV when I downloaded it from a torrent that scraped all this nonsense from the game.

Now I'm thinking if I should give my SNES a shot because there I only need to pop the cartridge into the system and switch it on....

!"§$!§"!°&!§"!°"§%&!"§$&&/$§%

Thanks for reading. :)

PS: Yeah I know there might be some fix that I can look up on the Internet but I'm really not in the mood at the moment.

You could wait and see for awhile. I doubt the Rockstar Social Club is going anywhere, but Microsoft is canning GFWL. Some developers are switching their games over to Steam. It's already been done for Arkham Asylum, Arkham City, and Bioshock 2, and DiRT 3 is being ported now. I'm hoping more games make the switch, because I have a few more like Bulletstorm, Dawn of War II, and a handful of Capcom games that Steam just had on sale like a month ago.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I thought it was awesome, too--until I realized that was another clan member not online to play, LOL.

are you playing cod on ps3 as well or just got a ps4 copy exclusively?

Guest davidwhangchoi

PS4 exclusively

boo i haven't opened my ps4 yet but when i do it'll be good to play some cod with some ps4 peeps, since there's not that many of my friends that have a ps4 yet.

can you add me to the MW members on PSN? my tag is "dwc"

This was first discovered by Kotaku. Sounds like Eurogamer is reporting it as well. No response from Astrogaming (or any other headset makers) yet.

NeoGAF: No Dolby 5.1 support with Xbone optical port? (surround headphone users beware!)

Do you use a surround-sound headset when you console game? MS says GFU. To quote Lando Calrissian: "This deal is getting worse all the time"

Do you use a surround-sound headset when you console game?

No.

I can't even think of how I would. My consoles are hooked up to a receiver, which in turn goes to the TV. It's like 20' from where I usually sit on the sofa to the receiver.

Hey, I'm all for options, and for those of you who wanted this one, I'm sorry you can't have it. It's impossible for me to muster any outrage over it, though.

As the hardware and software reviews are starting to come in, I'm starting to see the PS4 vs Xbone as awesome console with no games vs. crap console with games I'd want to play. If it weren't for the fact that I've grown to REALLY hate Metro, Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 would almost tempt me into the Microsoft camp.

As the hardware and software reviews are starting to come in, I'm starting to see the PS4 vs Xbone as awesome console with no games vs. crap console with games I'd want to play. If it weren't for the fact that I've grown to REALLY hate Metro, Forza 5 and Dead Rising 3 would almost tempt me into the Microsoft camp.

So basically the last seven years of console gaming all over again.

BTW, I still like Metro, so there you go.

So basically the last seven years of console gaming all over again.

Not exactly. At the start of the last console generation, I liked the Xbox 360 hardware. The controller was and still is miles better than the Sixaxis or Dual Shock 3. I liked the original 360 Dashboard, with the blades, and I've only every thought of the XMB as functional at best. Despite Sony's claim of having the most powerful hardware, the PS3 was a pain to develop for and lacked RAM, leading to the 360 version of multiplatform games often turning out to be the superior version (not counting PC). MS had better hardware and games, Sony just had an obscene price tag.

At some point during the last seven years, PS3s became affordable, the combination of blu-ray, DivX, mp4, and Netflix (without an XBL sub) made in the centerpiece of my entertainment center, and most of the best MS exclusives went mulitplatform or at the very least PC, while Sony started to develop a string of good 1st party games like Uncharted, inFAMOUS, God of War, etc. I went from playing 360 everyday to going months without turning it on, while my PS3 was getting daily use (although not always for gaming). When I wanted a game that wasn't on PC, I began to prefer the PS3 version.

This time, the PS4 is both less expensive and better hardware. Multiplatform games like CoD and Battlefield 4 are already looking better on it. Sony's just suffering from a weak launch lineup because a lot of high-profile games like inFAMOUS and Watch_Dogs were delayed. I think Sony's going to continue to have better 1st party software.

While I give MS credit for trying to do something new, the mandatory Kinect is jacking the price up, their disastrous E3 showing seems to have forced them to make some OS revisions in a short time, resulting in a product that's launching unfinished, and unless Microsoft keeps throwing money around exclusives like Dead Rising and Titanfall are attempts at Microsoft to buy momentum, not the norm. MS has a better launch lineup, but unless you're really into Halo, I think Sony has better 1st party games, and there will be fewer third party exclusives as time goes on.

All that being said, I plan on buying a PS4, and soon. It's cheaper, it seems like a safer choice in the long run, it's got remote play to the Vita I already own, and I definitely want inFAMOUS when it comes out in March. I don't think the Xbone or the Kinect is worth the extra Benjamin, and I loathe Metro with every fiber of my human interface and usability design-trained body. I want to play Forza 5 (and the inevitable sequels), I want to play Dead Rising 3, and I'm sure there will be other Xbone games I want to play down the road. If future updates improve the functionality and the price comes down, I'd be happy to make room for it in my entertainment center.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm looking to get an xone but doing the "wait till price cut" plan... while i'm waiting for........ a game to play on the ps4 :wacko:

me and my friend call each other daily and ask "did you open yours yet?" lol i'm still playing cod ghost on the ps3. i should upgrade and migrate over prob thanksgiving weekend.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

updated post w/ full review link:

full review of xbox one hardware and games:

http://www.polygon.com/a/xbox-one-review#

controllers take standard AA batt

they played it constantly for a week and a half and still have not fully depleted the charge (rechargable AA)

compared to Sony's 7-8 hour controller battery power, this is a huge advantage.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

updated post w/ full review link:

full review of xbox one hardware and games:

http://www.polygon.com/a/xbox-one-review#

controllers take standard AA batt

they played it constantly for a week and a half and still have not fully depleted the charge (rechargable AA)

compared to Sony's 7-8 hour controller battery power, this is a huge advantage.

Not that huge. If I played videogames that long in a single day anyway, my wife would divorce me! And unlike the PS3, the PS4 can charge the controllers while it's on standby. So play awhile, and plug the controller in to charge overnight. Better than buying AAs all the time (which I already do anyway).

I don't know if I've got a gadget addiction or what, but I'm kind of starting to want to buy both. The PS4 because I like the hardware better, the Xbone to play Forza.

I actually bought my first set of eneloops recently, and I've been using them with the 360 controller for Windows. I've been pretty happy with them, but I'm not ready to go all eneloop yet. I have A LOT of devices that take AAs... I go through probably 2 36 packs a year, and if a lot of things run out at once I've been known to open a pack and immediately put 8-12 into use.

Guest davidwhangchoi

this is what i got at cosco last year

http://costcocouple.com/sanyo-eneloop-rechargeable-battery-combo-pack/

the deal's dead or yymv but you can prob find a good deal if you wait.

since it's color coded i never get batteries mixed up (if depleted ones accidentally fall out and mix with fully charged batteries)

great for gaming and throwing in remotes, camera stuff that is always in use but don't really leave the house or are valuables that always need batteries .