All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

For those playing pokemon, does anyone know if having the japanese version of a pokemon has an negative effects? I traded for a japanese scyther, and I'm a bit worried that a North American megaton (scizorite) won't work on it....

Sorry, Archer. I've so far only traded with myself, and only the starters.

I can keep my eyes open for a North American Scyther for you, though. I'm also playing Pokemon Y, if you want to trade version regular version exclusives (not one-of-a-kinds like Yveltal/Xerneas).

Guest davidwhangchoi

interesting. i getting it on ps3 bc you can upgrade it for 10 bucks more for ps4 through sony without having to trade in the game. (own both copies for 10 bucks more)

i'm getting Ace Attorney 5 today for 3DS. it's a download only title from the nintendo e-shop...

http://www.destructoid.com/review-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies-264032.phtml

interesting. i getting it on ps3 bc you can upgrade it for 10 bucks more for ps4 through sony without having to trade in the game. (own both copies for 10 bucks more)

Stats don't carry over, and it comes out 10 days before the PS4 does.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

Stats don't carry over, and it comes out 10 days before the PS4 does.

thanks for the heads up. looks like i'm going to have to do double the work to level up... most of my friends are not getting a ps4 right away except 2 so i can do this to play with my ps3 friends as well as the 2 on ps4....

here's the Kotaku Review of Dual Destinies... as you can see i love the series

http://kotaku.com/phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies-the-kota-1450775847

i'm getting Ace Attorney 5 today for 3DS. it's a download only title from the nintendo e-shop...

http://www.destructoid.com/review-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-dual-destinies-264032.phtml

Temptingish... I mean, I've only played the first one, and I've currently got Arkham Origins pre-loaded on Steam, on top of the Last of Us waiting for me to bother playing a console game, and I picked up Lego Marvel Superheroes this week, and I've got several games I picked up on Steam sales that I haven't had time to play yet including Tomb Raider, Hitman: Absolution, and DmC, plus I've got 25-ish hours on Pokemon Y (and I'm only at the 2nd gym). So I don't really need another game.

On the other hand, I did like the first one. And I do still have the $30 eShop credit for buying SMTIV and Fire Emblem...

Guest davidwhangchoi

Temptingish... I mean, I've only played the first one,

On the other hand, I did like the first one. And I do still have the $30 eShop credit for buying SMTIV and Fire Emblem...

lucky you have $30... how did you get that. i have fire emblem also. was it a promo?? for buying both games?

also get it if you liked the first one... kotaku says it's the best one in the series

lucky you have $30... how did you get that. i have fire emblem also. was it a promo?? for buying both games?

also get it if you liked the first one... kotaku says it's the best one in the series

Yes, it was a Club Nintendo promo. It was announced before SMTIV was released, and it was basically if you bought and registered both games by 8-31 (including if you'd registered Fire Emblem right when it first came out), you'd get an email with a $30 eShop code.

If you buy Nintendo games/consoles, Club Nintendo's a pretty good deal, BTW. You get "coins" for registering products and taking short surveys on them. The coins can be traded in for gifts. The gifts aren't always the most impressive stuff in the world... I've got a handful of game download codes, a Super Mario Bros. pencil case, and a reversible pouch that I think was meant to be a cover for a DS or 3DS, but I use it for a dice bag. But shipping is free, so it's a nice little bonus for buying games you were going to anyway.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Yes, it was a Club Nintendo promo. It was announced before SMTIV was released, and it was basically if you bought and registered both games by 8-31 (including if you'd registered Fire Emblem right when it first came out), you'd get an email with a $30 eShop code.

If you buy Nintendo games/consoles, Club Nintendo's a pretty good deal, BTW. You get "coins" for registering products and taking short surveys on them. The coins can be traded in for gifts. The gifts aren't always the most impressive stuff in the world... I've got a handful of game download codes, a Super Mario Bros. pencil case, and a reversible pouch that I think was meant to be a cover for a DS or 3DS, but I use it for a dice bag. But shipping is free, so it's a nice little bonus for buying games you were going to anyway.

yah... i used my coins to get zelda dx for gameboy color and playing that on my 3ds right now... must've missed that promo... dang!

Guest davidwhangchoi

ace attorney 5 is great!!! been playing it for the last two nights. i wish others get a chance to play it.

Edited by davidwhangchoi

yah... i used my coins to get zelda dx for gameboy color and playing that on my 3ds right now... must've missed that promo... dang!

Speaking of... on 10-31, you'll be able to buy a charging cradle for the 3DS XL (like the regular 3DS came with) for 500 coins.

In other news, Arkham Origins, anyone? The guy they got for Batman's voice isn't Kevin Conroy, it's Roger Craig Smith (Captain America from Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble, Chris Redfield in recent Resident Evil games). He's a little more gravelly than Conroy, but overall he does a pretty good job. The game itself isn't as polished as the Rocksteady-developed Arkham games, including one bug that prevents you from completing a side-mission, and the game seems a little more skewed toward combat than predator. At times, the game can be a little stupid, too. There was one point where I thought I had a bug keeping me from progressing, because there were only two doors. One was locked, and the other was locked with a hacking panel. There was a jammer above it, though, so I knew I couldn't hack it yet. To progress, though, you actually have to try to hack it anyway, then the other door will unlock.

Minor complaints aside, the story is a lot better than the "let's make a prison out of a huge chunk of the city by walling it off and letting the criminals do whatever they want" plot of Arkham City. And while it's not as polished as the previous games, a rough Arkham game is still better than a lot of the other crap out there. Personally, I'm really enjoying it, and gripes aside I'd recommend it if you're a fan of the series.

Looking for recommendations for a PS3 sci-fi game that has a split-screen co-op campaign story mode and/or a split-screen offline multiplayer mode?

What about Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Lost Planet 3, or Crysis 3, do they fit the above criteria?

I'm fairly new to the PS3, just bought mine when Macross 30 came out, but now I want to get some split-screen games to play together with my son.

I've no interest in online multiplayer, just want split-screen for some quality gaming time with my son. Would prefer a game that has a split-screen story mode, so we can play through the story together.

We're currently playing Aliens Colonial Marines together on split-screen campaign mode and really enjoying it (despite the negative reviews).

Graham

Guest davidwhangchoi

Looking for recommendations for a PS3 sci-fi game that has a split-screen co-op campaign story mode and/or a split-screen offline multiplayer mode?

What about Mass Effect 3, Bioshock Infinite, Lost Planet 3, or Crysis 3, do they fit the above criteria?

I'm fairly new to the PS3, just bought mine when Macross 30 came out, but now I want to get some split screen games to play together with my son.

Graham

here's a quick sample list of co-ops for PS3 (doesn't specify local gaming but i think it's local split screen):

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

forgot to answer: the games you listed ME 3, bishock infinite, lost planet 3 and Crysis 3 all do not have split screen co-op

this is a great sci fi 80's style space shooter that's awesome for local co-op

Super Stardust HD on PSN

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Guest davidwhangchoi

I've no interest in online multiplayer, just want split-screen for some quality gaming time with my son. Would prefer a game that has a split-screen story mode, so we can play through the story together.

We're currently playing Aliens Colonial Marines together on split-screen campaign mode and really enjoying it (despite the negative reviews).

Graham

hi Graham, one last post!

this site has a masterlist of Ps3 co-op games you can filter by local or split screen that's very helpful :)

http://co-optimus.com/system/2/playstation-3.html

Speaking of... on 10-31, you'll be able to buy a charging cradle for the 3DS XL (like the regular 3DS came with) for 500 coins.

In other news, Arkham Origins, anyone? The guy they got for Batman's voice isn't Kevin Conroy, it's Roger Craig Smith (Captain America from Ultimate Spider-Man and Avengers Assemble, Chris Redfield in recent Resident Evil games). He's a little more gravelly than Conroy, but overall he does a pretty good job. The game itself isn't as polished as the Rocksteady-developed Arkham games, including one bug that prevents you from completing a side-mission, and the game seems a little more skewed toward combat than predator. At times, the game can be a little stupid, too. There was one point where I thought I had a bug keeping me from progressing, because there were only two doors. One was locked, and the other was locked with a hacking panel. There was a jammer above it, though, so I knew I couldn't hack it yet. To progress, though, you actually have to try to hack it anyway, then the other door will unlock.

Minor complaints aside, the story is a lot better than the "let's make a prison out of a huge chunk of the city by walling it off and letting the criminals do whatever they want" plot of Arkham City. And while it's not as polished as the previous games, a rough Arkham game is still better than a lot of the other crap out there. Personally, I'm really enjoying it, and gripes aside I'd recommend it if you're a fan of the series.

Yeah, I decided to get it. I'm not that far through the game yet but it's a mixed bag IMO. You're right, the situations and level design make brawling the way to go. I think they were trying to impress that Batman is more green and more willing to go at it with his fists (also evident by the fact he's a lot more angry/brutal in cut scenes) but it doesn't make him come off as "green." It makes him come off as a violent ass-hole, and that the game world isn't designed as well. I've noticed they used a huge chunk of Arkham City as well so the newer larger world doesn't really feel all that new. They dressed it up different, but it feels the same. The timing for countering feels different to me too. The story is a lot better then City was, at least up to the point I've made it. They could go off on some fantastical tangent at some point I suppose. I will say the PC version is optimized far better then the last two games were. Playing on a year old gaming laptop (that wasn't top of the line at purchase) with everything turned up (including turning on the DX11 features... I do not have a DX11 card) I average 40fps with occasional dips below 30. With the two DX11 features bumped off it screams at 100+fps. I have heard people complain that Roger Craig Smith's acting is flat and there's no variance in his performance. So far I haven't experienced that. I think he's nice and subtle.

Speaking of Batman I got the Blackgate game for the 3DS. So far it's not very fun. It plays really clunky and slow. Perhaps the Vita version feels tighter? I don't know. I feel the controls are not as intuitive, the timing for attacking/countering is inconsistent and the overall experience is not satisfying (or Metroid-like) at all.

Also Lego Marvel Superheroes is a simplified version of what the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games should have been. Maybe sometime soon someone will make that happen proper.

Edited by Mommar

I played that Lego Marvel demo and it looks like the best Lego game to date. Daughter loved it too. The controller scheme was easy enough for a 5 year old to manage to include the flying characters.

Guest davidwhangchoi

being one of the millions that put quarters into this machine, Street II's original developers share some very interesting things about the game.

• the red fireballs weren't a glitch after all and put in on purpose.
  • a few other things such as defense and damage calculations were messed up...
  • ryu was damaged double when dizzy bc they forgot correct and adjust the amount of damage he received and just left it in the game. (i was always suspicious that the damage meter was really off at random time)

full post:

http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/akira-nishitani-speaks-sf2-director-154210.0.html

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Speaking of Batman I got the Blackgate game for the 3DS. So far it's not very fun. It plays really clunky and slow. Perhaps the Vita version feels tighter? I don't know. I feel the controls are not as intuitive, the timing for attacking/countering is inconsistent and the overall experience is not satisfying (or Metroid-like) at all.

Hmm... the Kotaku review called it one of the best Metroidvania games in a long time, and I was pretty set to pick it up based on the review. Now I'm not so sure...

Also Lego Marvel Superheroes is a simplified version of what the Marvel Ultimate Alliance games should have been. Maybe sometime soon someone will make that happen proper.

Lego games are a mixed bag for me... I LOVED the Lego Star Wars games and Lego Batman 2, was less impressed with Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, the first Lego Batman, and Lego Indiana Jones, didn't play Lego Lord of the Rings, and seriously disliked the Lego Harry Potters. The Marvel fan in me couldn't say not to Lego Marvel Superheroes, though. I'll play it when I finish Arkham Origins.

In other news, Nvidia updated the Shield. I have the HDMI cable to hook it up to a TV, now I just need a good controller for it. In a lot of ways, the Shield is turning out to be the ultimate PC gaming accessory for me. Most of the time, I can game in my office on my 27" speakers and Logitech surround sound system (especially as it gets colder... I tend to bunker down for the winter), but I'm not tied to it anymore, either. If I want to play on the TV, I can. If I want to use it as a portable and play on the can, I can (no pun intended). The only ways the Shield could be better for me are if they made the screen bigger (seriously, it's got a huge bezel) and if they gave it the ability to stream over the internet (which probably isn't feasible, what with input latency and all).

Hmm... the Kotaku review called it one of the best Metroidvania games in a long time, and I was pretty set to pick it up based on the review. Now I'm not so sure...

Lego games are a mixed bag for me... I LOVED the Lego Star Wars games and Lego Batman 2, was less impressed with Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, the first Lego Batman, and Lego Indiana Jones, didn't play Lego Lord of the Rings, and seriously disliked the Lego Harry Potters. The Marvel fan in me couldn't say not to Lego Marvel Superheroes, though. I'll play it when I finish Arkham Origins.

In other news, Nvidia updated the Shield. I have the HDMI cable to hook it up to a TV, now I just need a good controller for it. In a lot of ways, the Shield is turning out to be the ultimate PC gaming accessory for me. Most of the time, I can game in my office on my 27" speakers and Logitech surround sound system (especially as it gets colder... I tend to bunker down for the winter), but I'm not tied to it anymore, either. If I want to play on the TV, I can. If I want to use it as a portable and play on the can, I can (no pun intended). The only ways the Shield could be better for me are if they made the screen bigger (seriously, it's got a huge bezel) and if they gave it the ability to stream over the internet (which probably isn't feasible, what with input latency and all).

The Kotaku review is based on the Vita version. I am not sure if the gameplay is more tight on the Vita then the 3DS. I can say the controls feel mushy and unsatisfying. I realize the original Metroid had some pretty stiff controls but by Super Metroid that was ironed out and it and Symphony of the Night were buttery smooth. This game is just clunky. I really feel that the strength of the mechanics of the Prime games mixed with the strength of the mechanics in the Arkham games mashed together in 2D does not work. You have to hold your finger over a button to scan the room for additional clues and it's clunky. Every few steps you have to do it again (if you're a completion-ist.) The combat is marred by the fact you don't have as many things you can perform, and the game auto targets for you so if an unarmed guy is in the background and a knife guy is in the foreground and you attempt to cape swipe the knife guy the game may decide to push you towards the background and cape swipe the unarmed guy... then you get stabbed. There's also no swooping in and ducking back out of fights. There's no dropping from the rafters to tie guys up. No booby-trapping things. You can pop up from grates, swoop kick a single guy and get into fist-fights. Plus, it's a 2d side-scroller, give me a jump button. The non-jumping mechanic from the Arkham games makes it so cumbersome to move around the environment (and also limits how interesting the environment can be.)

The only console Lego games I've played are the Star Wars ones and now Marvel Superheroes. I've only played Batman 2 and Lord of the Rings on 3DS. LotR has an awful, awful framerate on the 3DS.

So what's the range that Shield device can operate?

So what's the range that Shield device can operate?

Whatever your Wi-Fi range is. The Shield and the PC have to be on the same network, and you must have an Nvidia GeForce GTX 650+ GPU, a Core i3-2100 or Athlon 2 X4 630 or better CPU, and 4GB of RAM or more. Not sure if the latest update allows for mobile GPUs, but previously it was a desktop-only deal. They also recommend a dual-band router for best streaming performance, although Nvidia is working on a USB adapter that will let you wire it in. Shield supports 720p streaming wirelessly, but a future update will allow it to stream 1080p wired. Windows 7 and 8 are supported, and you have to run their GeForce Experience software on your computer. Honestly, I don't really mind it... it's got a nice feature that automatically picks the best graphics settings for supported games based on your hardware. Also, you can play more games than what Nvidia lists or what shows up in the GeForce experience. Basically, if you can run it in Steam's Big Picture mode, you can can play it on the Shield.

Depending on where you're at in your PC setup, Shield's either a $300 accessory or a total waste of money. For me, it was the former, since my box as an i7, 16GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 660ti. If you have a Radeon card, though, you're looking at having to replace it, and if you use a laptop for gaming you are (or were) SOL.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Shield supports 720p streaming wirelessly, but a future update will allow it to stream 1080p wired.

Depending on where you're at in your PC setup, Shield's either a $300 accessory or a total waste of money. For me, it was the former, since my box as an i7, 16GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 660ti. If you have a Radeon card, though, you're looking at having to replace it, and if you use a laptop for gaming you are (or were) SOL.

mike, can you share how much lag there is in wirelessly streaming 720p when you get your controller?

mike, can you share how much lag there is in wirelessly streaming 720p when you get your controller?

Gladly. I have Amazon Prime, so probably sometime on Wednesday.

I will say that I updated everything today, and I played a little of Arkham Origins on the Shield itself. Streaming seems much better than when I'd do a race or two in Grid 2, then lose the connection. There was a little audio stuttering, but the game play felt smooth. I did a crime in progress and I was able to to get up around x15 before one of the goons found a gun and shot me. The most frustrating thing about playing on the Shield wasn't streaming lag, it's the size of the screen. I don't know if I'm just getting older or what, but playing with the Shield in my lap was kind of difficult because everything just seemed too small. Laying on my stomach and holding the Shield closer to my eyes helped.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i'm thinking getting this though i already have a zelda color 3ds... but it only comes with

a digital copy hmmm.. i prefer a hard copy

Edited by davidwhangchoi

http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-titanfall-2-to-be-a-microsoft-exclusive-1454392369

tl;dr--Titanfall was only supposed to be exclusive at game launch (which is why we saw PS4 dev kits in their behind the scenes video), but MS dumped a ton of cash on EA recently to keep it exclusive, unbeknownst to Respawn. However, future Titanfall releases will come to the PS4.