All Things Videogame Related: EXTREME VS!!

Keith

While the technophile in me will surely keep an eye out for a PS4 or Xbone, my local stores are still sold out of both. I did pick up Super Mario 3D World, though, so at least until I beat it Nintendo wins the console war.

Actually, it's kind of funny. Since the only other game I bought for the Wii U was New Super Mario Bros. U, and it was around the holidays that I bought and played it, playing a game on the Wii U gives me a real holiday vibe.

While the technophile in me will surely keep an eye out for a PS4 or Xbone, my local stores are still sold out of both. I did pick up Super Mario 3D World, though, so at least until I beat it Nintendo wins the console war.

Actually, it's kind of funny. Since the only other game I bought for the Wii U was New Super Mario Bros. U, and it was around the holidays that I bought and played it, playing a game on the Wii U gives me a real holiday vibe.

I couldn't find a copy of 3D World near my work at all. Target and Walmart were sold out. Best Buy seemingly didn't even bother putting any out, or order any, even though their website says it's available. They did have an XBox One at Best Buy but I figured paying for my car insurance should take priority.

I couldn't find a copy of 3D World near my work at all. Target and Walmart were sold out. Best Buy seemingly didn't even bother putting any out, or order any, even though their website says it's available. They did have an XBox One at Best Buy but I figured paying for my car insurance should take priority.

That's odd. I went to the Target near my house, and I told the clerk I wanted Super Mario 3D World and the new Zelda. He opened the display cases, took them out, and that was the end of it, like it wasn't even a big deal.

Guest davidwhangchoi

just as someone posted for the ps4, xbox one sells 1 mil in 24 hours

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-sells-over-1-million-consoles-in-24-hours/1100-6416349/

here's the kicker the xbox one launched in 11 more countries than the ps4.

ps4 sold 1 mil in us and canada in 24 hours

Edited by davidwhangchoi

just as someone posted for the ps4, xbox one sells 1 mil in 24 hours

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-sells-over-1-million-consoles-in-24-hours/1100-6416349/

here's the kicker the xbox one launched in 11 more countries than the ps4.

ps4 sold 1 mil in us and canada in 24 hours

You can say that the PS4 is more popular because it sold 1 million in 24 hours in just two countries while the Xbone needed 13, but sold out is sold out.

As for your new 3DS, you're in for a treat. I've been playing A Link Between Worlds, and I just got the Master Sword (I don't think that needs a spoiler tag). It's hands down the best Zelda game since A Link to the Past. Easily better than all of the 3D Zeldas, the Capcom ones, and the DS ones.

You can still find Xbones in stock if you look: http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/24/xbox-one-sold-out-but-there-are-still-plenty-right-in-the-heart-of-new-york-including-day-one-editions/

My best friend made around $300 profit when he sold his PS4 on eBay on release day. When more Xbones became available for pre-order this past week, he looked into doing the same thing; potential profit looked to be ~$100 based upon what he was seeing on eBay, so he didn't risk it.

Edited by Duke Togo

Guest davidwhangchoi

You can say that the PS4 is more popular because it sold 1 million in 24 hours in just two countries while the Xbone needed 13, but sold out is sold out.

As for your new 3DS, you're in for a treat. I've been playing A Link Between Worlds, and I just got the Master Sword (I don't think that needs a spoiler tag). It's hands down the best Zelda game since A Link to the Past. Easily better than all of the 3D Zeldas, the Capcom ones, and the DS ones.

omg! there's a master sword??? you ruined it for me!! ;) lol, yeah, i thought that was cheap of ms to spin that 1 mil in 24 hrs.

Too bad I'm not in New York. All I can say is that they're definitely sold out around my area. Too bad. I know I said I don't care about the new consoles because I'm a PC gamer first and foremost, and that Forza 5 isn't a system-seller, but I'm what can I say? I gots the gadget lust. I'd buy either if I if I could find them at this point, and yeah, if I bought an Xbone I'd buy Forza 5 to go with it.

We're a tiny market but signs around Albuquerque all say "Sorry, XBox One is sold out." But then the majority of people in this town just follow whatever the last trend was until somebody tells them they're supposed to like something else. If they haven't gotten the memo about buying a PS4 yet they'll keep trying to buy XBox -whatever's until someone tells them they're supposed to like the other thing.

So, I've started to play Assassin's Creed IV. As a fan of the series, but someone who was seriously disappointed with III, IV brings back all the fun that permeated the first two numbered games.

Edward is just such a likable protagonist (compared to Connor) and the setting really makes graphics and Edward's skills pop. There are cities for AC1/2 style free running, but the outside terrain really lends to AC3 style tree running. That, and ship exploration is SUPER fun as well, and really well fleshed out. Water has never looked this good....

I've never been able to get past Assassin's Creed 1. It just got too repetative and I couldn't clear the last few missions.

You did better than I did. I finished the intro, got to the first big city, did the first assassination, and decided I'd had enough. My experience with it was such that I never bothered with the sequels, even though I had a friend who swore up and down that AC II was the best game he'd ever played, and that I should play it even though I didn't like the first one.

You did better than I did. I finished the intro, got to the first big city, did the first assassination, and decided I'd had enough. My experience with it was such that I never bothered with the sequels, even though I had a friend who swore up and down that AC II was the best game he'd ever played, and that I should play it even though I didn't like the first one.

I definitely agree that AC1 got repetitive, but DEFINITELY give AC2 a shot. It actually caught me off guard in terms of how fun it was, and it kind of ditches the "assassinate, find next target, rinse repeat" ideology, going after a much more creative set of missions. Furthermore, Ezio's story is much more fleshed out than Altair's, and we're given a good reason to want Ezio to win that extends beyond "He is an assassin". Heck, Ezio isn't even an Assassin to begin with like Altair.

I'm sure you can get AC2 for cheap now, and it's honestly one of the best games I've played in the last gen. Give it a shot, regardless of how much you hated the first game.

Edited by Archer

Just started playing Arkham Origins last night. Damn game froze on one of the first mission's cutscenes. Had to reboot twice before the thing played smoothly again.

Otherwise, a really nice game that does justice to the franchise (no pun intended). Fighting system's very similar to Sleeping Dogs, which to me is a good thing. That said, Batman moves rather slowly compared to Wei Shen, so the fights don't feel as smooth or as fast.

This being my first Arkham game, I definitely like the general design of the game, as well as the armored bat-suit. I never liked the "traditional" Spandex suits.

Guest davidwhangchoi

I definitely agree that AC1 got repetitive, but DEFINITELY give AC2 a shot. It actually caught me off guard in terms of how fun it was, and it kind of ditches the "assassinate, find next target, rinse repeat" ideology, going after a much more creative set of missions. Furthermore, Ezio's story is much more fleshed out than Altair's, and we're given a good reason to want Ezio to win that extends beyond "He is an assassin". Heck, Ezio isn't even an Assassin to begin with like Altair.

I'm sure you can get AC2 for cheap now, and it's honestly one of the best games I've played in the last gen. Give it a shot, regardless of how much you hated the first game.

for some reason i can't get into acII, revelations, III.

i think the first game was the worst. i listened to a friend and and he told AC it was amazing. i brought it and felt the same as the opinions above.

i read all the reviews that ac ii, is much improved, i played about 4 hours of it and stopped, it was boring.

i have three now and played about 5 hours and fell asleep. i just use it for bench marking...

my problem is no matter how good i hear each sequel is,

i can't seem to get into the missions... still feels like the first game... i know i shouldn't judge a game till i finish it, but shouldn't the game at least initially draw me in?

i feel like i'm have to force feed myself to get into it and i just don't want to as i got such a backlog of titles plus all the new releases have my attention.

Just started playing Arkham Origins last night. Damn game froze on one of the first mission's cutscenes. Had to reboot twice before the thing played smoothly again.

Otherwise, a really nice game that does justice to the franchise (no pun intended). Fighting system's very similar to Sleeping Dogs, which to me is a good thing. That said, Batman moves rather slowly compared to Wei Shen, so the fights don't feel as smooth or as fast.

This being my first Arkham game, I definitely like the general design of the game, as well as the armored bat-suit. I never liked the "traditional" Spandex suits.

I'd say it's more accurate to say that the fighting system in Sleeping Dogs is very similar to Arkham Asylum. But either way, it's a good thing, as I'm a huge fan of both the Arkham games and Sleeping Dogs.

I'd say it's more accurate to say that the fighting system in Sleeping Dogs is very similar to Arkham Asylum. But either way, it's a good thing, as I'm a huge fan of both the Arkham games and Sleeping Dogs.

Good point. The first two Arkham were released before Sleeping Dogs, after all. I wish they'd speed up Batman's moves, though. It's nothing major, but it would certainly help to make the action more fluid.

Not sure how I feel about the cape-gliding thing, though.

serious question, how could that possibly be easier than running an ethernet cable from you're router to the console? :huh:

Good point. I've never hooked up the PS3 to the internet before, and somehow got the impression that the setup procedure would be rather complicated and messy. Is it, though?

Anyways, if I do hook up the console to the router, how do I go about installing the patch? Do I have to load the game first?

The only thing I did to setup my PS3 was to plug the ethernet cable into the console. The rest was done automatically. Maybe you need some points to approve (it was the first thing I did when I bought my PS3). Normally it should be an easy thing to do but be prepared to update your PS3s firmware after the first connection. That can take a while depending on the patch size and your connection speed.

As for the patch: normally the game checks automatically if a patch is available when you start the game and then forces you to update the game before playing. That can be quite annoying when you bought a new game and then have to wait some time to start actually playing. That are the miracles of this new technology I guess. ^_^

The only thing I did to setup my PS3 was to plug the ethernet cable into the console. The rest was done automatically. Maybe you need some points to approve (it was the first thing I did when I bought my PS3). Normally it should be an easy thing to do but be prepared to update your PS3s firmware after the first connection. That can take a while depending on the patch size and your connection speed.

As for the patch: normally the game checks automatically if a patch is available when you start the game and then forces you to update the game before playing. That can be quite annoying when you bought a new game and then have to wait some time to start actually playing. That are the miracles of this new technology I guess. ^_^

You're a life saver, Scyla! I've been googling for tips on how to install patches for PS3 games, but couldn't find any.

If it's that simple, then I'll have to give it a try. Splinter Cell - Blacklist is driving me up the wall with it's intermittently slowing framerates!

BTW, do these patches take up much space? My meager 40 GB HDD is already packed to the gills with recent game installs.

BTW, do these patches take up much space? My meager 40 GB HDD is already packed to the gills with recent game installs.

Yes.

You could always make a backup of the hard drive, then replace it with a bigger one and restore from the backup. You can probably find a 500GB for between $50-$70, and they're not difficult to install.

Guest davidwhangchoi

You're a life saver, Scyla! I've been googling for tips on how to install patches for PS3 games, but couldn't find any.

If it's that simple, then I'll have to give it a try. Splinter Cell - Blacklist is driving me up the wall with it's intermittently slowing framerates!

assuming that you're new at installing patches and hooking the ps3 up online, i'm going to assume you may be hesitant to replace the hdd,

two solutions i suggest:

one, what mike suggested is the best thing you can do but you do need an external hdd source to back it up. i think since you have 40 gb i'm assuming you have no other media that needs to be backed up, if that's the case, just get a cheap usb stick and just back up yours saves on it bc it won't take much memory. just replace the hdd and redownload everything. since you have 40gb it'll prob take less time to do this than the back it up and transfer process.

two: is the lazy way, is to keep the 40 gb hdd, try installing the patch and see if it fits on the hdd. the ps3 will automatically tell you if your drive is too full before trying to download it so no worries. from there you can install the patch and not worry or if there is too much stuff delete a game install you currently not using and try again.