The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

As far as IDW designs goes, if HasTak makes that killer looking Megatron that has a stealth bomber alt mode, I'm all for it.

Yes! And it would work well, because a lot of the IDW designs are already based on Classics/Universe/Generations, at least since All Hail Megatron.

I've never really cared for the original classics prime and megatron molds and I've always wanted to see hasbro/takara take another stab at voyager size molds for them. I've not been thrilled with generations lately though so I'm not going to get too excited.

I'm hoping that the next Generations iterations of Prime and Megs are Voyager sized as they're just too small in Deluxe size though I did love the WFC versions. I'm pretty sure Hasbro will squash all this excitement that's building within us by next month's NY Toyfair.

ok, i'm not a TF expert so i thought i'd ask here.

during the holidays i saw at a local store what looked like a customized (metalized and weathered) Devastator for $700. upon inquiry, i was told that it wasn't Devastator but in fact "Hercules" made by a company called TFC. the toy looked awesome, particularly with the customization, but for some reason i got turned off because it wasn't an officially licensed Transformers toy and my opinion of knock-offs is quite poor to say the least. that probably stems from some of my cheap uncles giving me KOs and passing them off as originals. the plastic felt cheap and they either loosened or broke within days. perhaps the only KOs i have a positive opinion of are the mini dinobots, which i think are labeled WST. i collected them but no other KOs since.

so i'm on business travel now, and yesterday i came across a Maketoys "Giant Type 61" and i liked the look of it even more than the Hercules. i almost bought it there and then but that KO impression kicked in again and i also thought i'd check the internet to get a reference price.

i guess my question is for those who've had more experience with KOs is: has their build quality improved ie. they don't fall to pieces or collapse from loose joints? i've googled for reviews on the Giant Type 61 and they were all positive, but none specifically talked about robustness. either that's because this toy hasn't been out long enough, or it isn't even an issue now compared to years ago. i was impressed with the sculpt and detail of the Giant, and honestly the official Encore Devastator looked dinky by comparison.

my next question is where's the best place to get it. HLJ, Amiami and HobbySearch don't seem to list it. i've found TFSource but i have no experience with them. also, i don't know if it's better to buy locally since the Singapore online shops (La Tendo, TFH, etc.) i checked don't seem to carry them either.

appreciate views/leads. thanks

They are not KO's, in a strict sense. A KO is a direct copy of an existing design, usually reverse-engineered, or possibly using a stolen/discarded mold. Joon's 1/55 VF-1 is a KO of the Takatoku/Bandai.

"Hercules" and "Giant" were designed from the ground up as new, quality toys. But not by Hasbro. They "just happen" to be combining green and purple construction-vehicle robots.

Think of Yamato/Toycom early days--a small company just getting started, making a transforming toy. Not perfect, but they're learning. Only, there's licensing issues, too. (imagine that!)

Basically, it all comes down to---do you really care about Hasbro's IP infringement enough to deny yourself the gigantic toy Devastator that Hasbro themselves will never, ever make?

(and have you seen the Predakings that are coming? Holy-moly)

As for buying them---BBTS is of course highly rated, and they are the best at helping with any QC issues. (it's sad that many of these "Third party" manufacturers have better support than Takara or Hasbro with replacing missing pieces etc)

Want Hercules? Watch Peaugh's reviews of the set:

(that's Exgraver, the first released figure). He reviews each figure individually, then the set as a whole.

And yes, many threads/reviews will mention some issues with the figures. They were fixed for the 2nd release (which is most all you'll find nowadays) and owners of original versions were provided with replacement parts. (unlike most "official" VF-0 owners who still have cumbled piles of shoulder-bits)

ok, i'm not a TF expert so i thought i'd ask here.

during the holidays i saw at a local store what looked like a customized (metalized and weathered) Devastator for $700. upon inquiry, i was told that it wasn't Devastator but in fact "Hercules" made by a company called TFC. the toy looked awesome, particularly with the customization, but for some reason i got turned off because it wasn't an officially licensed Transformers toy and my opinion of knock-offs is quite poor to say the least. that probably stems from some of my cheap uncles giving me KOs and passing them off as originals. the plastic felt cheap and they either loosened or broke within days. perhaps the only KOs i have a positive opinion of are the mini dinobots, which i think are labeled WST. i collected them but no other KOs since.

so i'm on business travel now, and yesterday i came across a Maketoys "Giant Type 61" and i liked the look of it even more than the Hercules. i almost bought it there and then but that KO impression kicked in again and i also thought i'd check the internet to get a reference price.

i guess my question is for those who've had more experience with KOs is: has their build quality improved ie. they don't fall to pieces or collapse from loose joints? i've googled for reviews on the Giant Type 61 and they were all positive, but none specifically talked about robustness. either that's because this toy hasn't been out long enough, or it isn't even an issue now compared to years ago. i was impressed with the sculpt and detail of the Giant, and honestly the official Encore Devastator looked dinky by comparison.

my next question is where's the best place to get it. HLJ, Amiami and HobbySearch don't seem to list it. i've found TFSource but i have no experience with them. also, i don't know if it's better to buy locally since the Singapore online shops (La Tendo, TFH, etc.) i checked don't seem to carry them either.

appreciate views/leads. thanks

I can attest for Maketoys Giant and I would say he is quite sturdy enough for an adult collector, but maybe not for an eight year old. The plastic quality has an excellent matte finish, and feels very hard, not brittle and not crumbly. In fact, giant's plastic feels a lot better than the main line toys hasbro is putting out. Giant is filled with satisfying clicky joints to bear the weight of his limbs and there's no slack in between the clicks. However, when transforming each constructicon follow the directions carefully, as there are some parts that could be prone to breakage if handled incorrectly. So far, I've put my giant through some man-handling and I don't see a single stress mark. Although if you do buy him don't use the little grey bar that connects not-hook's two halves together to make the chest or that could cause stress marks on the opposite hinge. Anywho he comes in a nice box and he makes a kickass devastator.

Oh yeah--the green version of Giant has several improvements over the yellow one--most notably the crane's crane. (it can now be mounted on the back in bot mode, instead of being a gigantic piece of arm-kibble)

Also, we even have a dedicated thread for third-party/unofficial Transformers: http://www.macrosswo...showtopic=36937

And just to tempt you with stuff you may not be aware of:

stunticons.jpg

fp-bruticus-pose.jpg

319653_431543836911562_1988056375_n.jpg

6.jpg

Heh heh, we can only hope they actually are colored that well in reality. That's a fan photoshopping of the resin grey prototypes. (done by NECIO, the guy who does all the awesome Uranos/aerialbot colorings)

He also did "Wildrider" as Dead End, and I think the mold works even better that way:

stunticons2.jpg

I've mentioned it several times in various threads/forums, and give NECIO *huge* props for doing it correctly---Breakdown is NOT white. He's kind of ivory-cream-orangey-pearl. Subtle, but NOT WHITE. And his rendering gets the G1 toy color perfectly. I'll be very disappointed if FP makes him simply "white". (Hasbro did, the last time they made a toy of him--I don't think anyone at Hasbro HQ actually owns a G1 Breakdown to know what color he is---it doesn't show up in photos well)

(Breakdown is my fave Stunticon and one of my all-time fave TFs--and yes, probably just because he was a Countach--but he's NOT white, and I am very picky about that---kind of like Skywarp's purple or Hot Rod's red---just a few shades in either direction can make it look "wrong" and not that character's iconic color scheme)

Overlapping with the 3rd-party thread, but FP Not-Menasor is the only 3rd-party combiner I'm currently 100% committed too. I can't imagine I'll be disappointed from what we've seen so far, and the comments of people who've seen Notormaster.

(I remain optimistic for the Ferocicons, but am not liking leg mode really, nor most of the alt modes that well)

(TFC Uranos is dead to me---Silverbolt's kibble, gatling guns, and torso-mode chest shield killed it, and Harrier and Falcon's alt modes fired a few extra rounds into it) (If I made a Superion, you can be damn sure he'd have a big-ass cannon mounted on his arm, like the G1 animation did---a very unique weapon for a combiner--and should have been easy to do)

man, you guys are poison! but thanks for weighing in, david and superhobo.

i guess i have to re-evaluate my opinion about KOs, or more accurately, 3rd party companies. admittedly, i was having a hard time reconciling my old perception of KOs with what i was seeing of the not-Devastators. and to david's point, i go first on quality, then IP ownership, then the balancer being availability and/or likelihood of the IP owner making it themselves. in that order. same as my outlook on GK models.

so just like that, i am now the owner of a Green Giant, albeit i won't have it in hand until i get back next week. i found one on Singapore ebay for SGD520 (USD425) and was about to buy it when i thought of going through the other search results just for due diligence. i refreshed the page, and lo and behold, a new entry just popped in with that nice sun indicator, and pleasantly, for SGD450 (basically, same USD equivalent as BBTS/TFS preorder price). needless to say, i forgot about due diligence and just nabbed it right away :D

edit: btw, are there already KOs (as in really knock-offs) of the Green Giant? god, i hope not...

Edited by Major Focker

edit: btw, are there already KOs (as in really knock-offs) of the Green Giant? god, i hope not...

There's been rumors of one coming but if it existed we'd know. KO's of 3rd-party items do exist.

oh, BTW, I hope not-wildrider is in fact not-wild rider and not not-dead end because I want not-dead end to have a Porsche alt mode.

From what's been seen/rumored, asides from Motormaster, it may be an all-Lambo team. (though I am probably the most vocal TF fan around that doesn't like the so-called "Ankonian" since it was NOT designed by Lambo in any way, shape, or form, and isn't even a real car---it's a 1/3 scale model that has some very nice photos taken of it--it's no more real than the Millenium Falcon----there's simply a very detailed model of it that was photographed to look real)

I mean, I want a Lambo, a Ferrari, a Porsche, and a Kenworth. And screw it, give me Dragstrip's original alt-mode. It's still around, just not used in high-end competition. But there's one out driving around on the race track. There's really nothing else like it, it can't be "updated" without becoming a much less distinctive form.

Ok, based on what others have said in this thread, I picked up TF Prime Rumble.

On the plus side, he really is a pretty awesome toy. He looks good in both modes, and he's got a solid transformation. It's nice to see that Hasbro (and/or Takara) can still make a decent toy when they're not limited by trying to make a toy that looks like the often overly-complicated animation/movie on-screen designs. Plus, he's a Decepticon, which I can always use more of, and a car, which I also enjoy.

On the minus side, he's just not Rumble! I mean, yeah, Hasbro took pains to shift a lot of the car's bulk so that the resulting bot's head comes up to Bumblebee's chest. And yeah, he's got some kibble on his back, and Rumble used to keep his guns there. And sure, he's got some indented red things on his chest where his tape holes would have been. His guns are designed to look like piledrivers. And he's blue! (I do fall into the Rumble is blue, Frenzy is red crowd, as I grew up on the cartoon).

But the thing is, his blue is like a light teal, not the purplish blue of the cartoon. And the decorations on his chest don't remind me so much of tape holes as they do eyes. And while yeah, he's short, he's not actually small. These worst is his head... it's not a bad head, but it's not at all evocative of Rumble. I notice that, with the altered paint job and different head, the Takara version looks a lot more like Rumble. But this guy... I don't know. Maybe I'll name him something else.

In short, great figure, just not Rumble.

In short, great figure, just not Rumble.

because clearly he's frenzy. :p

but seriously, my crazy head-canon is that in the prime continuity, Frenzy and Rumble got tired of the whole living in soundwave's chest as tapes thing and decided to strike out on their own. After years of roaming the galaxy looking for their true calling, they found their way to earth in the early 90's. after a short stint in Japan they soon found themselves in Europe where their unique blend of house, sythpop, and drum-and-bass made them rising stars on the dance club DJ scene. As their success grew, they began to tour the world, all the while secretly advancing their agenda of world robot dominance through the power of epic mega-mixes and sick bass drops.

I also like to think that there's some crazy reverse mass shifting going on where the alt mode is the size of a normal car, but in robot mode they shrink down to be shorter than a person, which is why he hangs out on anime figure shelf. :D

because clearly he's frenzy. :p

but seriously, my crazy head-canon is that in the prime continuity, Frenzy and Rumble got tired of the whole living in soundwave's chest as tapes thing and decided to strike out on their own. After years of roaming the galaxy looking for their true calling, they found their way to earth in the early 90's. after a short stint in Japan they soon found themselves in Europe where their unique blend of house, sythpop, and drum-and-bass made them rising stars on the dance club DJ scene. As their success grew, they began to tour the world, all the while secretly advancing their agenda of world robot dominance through the power of epic mega-mixes and sick bass drops.

I also like to think that there's some crazy reverse mass shifting going on where the alt mode is the size of a normal car, but in robot mode they shrink down to be shorter than a person, which is why he hangs out on anime figure shelf. :D

You're crazy head-canon is actually pretty awesome! Indeed, the only fault I can find is that any universe where Rumble is red is clearly inferior to the ones where Rumble is blue. :p

In other collection-related news, I finally found an Onslaught. Using Vortex as a leg, I have enough Combaticons to make a Bruticus who lost an arm in the war...

I have to say though... after years of waiting for Hasbro to give us a real combiner instead of the crappy Energon combiners or the crappier Power Core Combiners, I have to say I'm sorry I waited this long. I'll give them props for attempting to give fans what they want, and I'll give them a few extra props for making vehicles that turn into robots that turm into giant robot body parts without the need for all the attachment pieces that the original G1 toys had... but maybe they should have stuck to the attachment pieces that the original G1 toys had. Individually, each Combaticon has issues from a general lack of plastic, gimpy shoulders, limited articulation, etc, but Onslaught is the worst. In alt mode, especially without his weapon, it's clear that 40% of his mass is Bruticus' head with Onslaught's little arms tucked over him like kid hunched under his desk for an air raid drill. In bot mod, he almost looks ok from the front, aside from the fact that his weapon doesn't peg onto his back with Bruticus' head tucked up in there. But when you actually start messing with him, you realize his arms are basically shoulders that stretch down to his waist and arms that stop at the elbow (elbows that pop out if you even look at them funny, i might ad). And his back is basically and upside-down back of Bruticus' head folded above Bruticus' abs and waist, with Brutitcus' crotch of a butt. Torso mode is probably the least objectionable, as long as you keep Onslaught's weapon on his back. Otherwise, Bruticus' back is a gaping hole with Onslaught's head peering out at you. Oh, and you ignore the fact that Onlaught's arms are basically tucked up at his sides and grabbing a pair of pegs behind him instead of hiding in any meaningful way.

If it weren't for the fact that I actually really like Optimus and am just happy to have a Shockwave that sorta works on my Classics shelf, I'd say the FoC/Generations line has been nothing but awful.

I like Kup in bot mode, he does a neat thing with the hood of his truck mode that brings it around his head, shoulders and chest, it helps make him seem beefy.

I really don't know why they painted him green and released him as Kup instead of painting him red and releasing him as Ironhide like they originally planned. I mean, the design is clearly a blend of G1 Ironhide and movie Ironhide, and even if they did kill him in the movies he's still been in more recent media than Kup.

Anyway, I found Brawl today. I have strongly mixed feelings about him. I think he looks good as a bot, if you ignore all the junk hanging off his butt, the fact that he's kind of skinny, the fact that his scrawniness is exaggerated next to the other, thicker Combaticons, and the fact that he has a hard time balancing on his tiny feet. His alt-mode looks pretty decent too, aside from the fact that it doesn't roll on any wheels or anything, and again looks kind of little compared to the other Combaticons. He's a pretty good leg, although I think the way his guns stick out is kind of odd, and I wish his arms pegged in place while he's a leg. As an arm... well, I haven't tried him as an arm.

The complete Bruticus is almost worth it. No, he doesn't have the posability of most toys his size, or even most Deluxes. But, impressively enough, he's got decent shoulder movement, some elbow movement, limited hip movement, and he can bend his knees. He's a good head taller than MP-10, and feels pretty solid for a guy made up of five other guys.

Oh, but do yourself a favor and ignore the official directions for building his "sonic cannon." It looks stupid, and it leaves Bruticus' back open (with Onslaught's head peaking out). Instead, leave Onslaught's weapon on his back, peg Brawl's gun into Swindle's like normal, then peg Blast Off's guns on the sides of Swindle's. As for Vortex's swords, I recommend either pegging them into Onslaught's gun on Bruticus' back, or pegging them onto Vortex's guns.

hmm...

The mold itself looks really good and I dig the weird mix of Cybertron Prime and Animated Jetwing Prime; but the lack of paint and ugly head sculpt really put me off.

I'm actually really interested in Deluxe Bulkhead as a possible Prime Brawn though.

I really don't know why they painted him green and released him as Kup instead of painting him red and releasing him as Ironhide like they originally planned. I mean, the design is clearly a blend of G1 Ironhide and movie Ironhide, and even if they did kill him in the movies he's still been in more recent media than Kup.

I actually thought the same thing, but I still like the toy itself.

If you blur your eyes, you can almost see the rear gray parts[wings] of Optimus dissapear... No wait, you can't. I am not a fan of this Beast Hunters thing... sorry. Oh, BTW, get MP10 if you dont have him yet. The best Optimus by far, IMHO.

Noticed my local Tarjey and Wallys seemed to have cleaned out their TF-aisles/pegs.

Like, there's really nothing other than FoC-Prime and Vehicon.

Two to three weeks of TF drought now.

I'd love to actually be able to find some vehicons somewhere.

FYI, before I go into rant mode, I want you to know it's not directed at you, kanedaestes, you're just an innocent poster. The rant is for whoever made the video, and transformers fans who do video reviews in general.

*rant* Why do so many Transformers fans do these elaborate, half-hour long video reviews? Take a few pictures, and tell me some of the highlights. I really don't want to sit and watch someone transform the thing for a half-hour just as they mumble about every little details, especially when they usually conclude with how awesome the toy is. We know it's awesome! It's a Masterpiece, and we're all big enough fanboys to overlook whatever flaws the toy has in the first place. It shouldn't take longer to review a toy than to watch an episode of the show that features the toy's character! *rant off*

Sigh.

In other news, I stopped at Target this morning. They don't have any Voyagers of any type, and Deluxes are limited to Prime Bumblebee and FoC Shockwave. I was set to leave when I noticed something interesting on one of the clearance endcaps. "Special Value" two-packs of DotM Deluxes, marked down to $6.98. I wound up leaving with three packs: Nitro Bumblebee & Thundercracker, Sideswipe & Armored Topspin, and Starscream & Roadbuster, for $21.

The bad: Nitro Bumblebee and Roadbuster. Roadbuster looks OK in alt-mode, but the sort of molded stealth force details on Nitro Bumblebee look kind of cruddy. In bot mode, Roadbuster has probably 60% of his alt mode just hanging off his back, making him very back-heavy, and most of his robot parts are molded gray plastic with little to nothing in in the way of painted detail. I didn't even notice the turbine in his chest until I looked up his movie appearance. His mech tech weapon is ok; a gun that unfolds into a chainsaw. As for Nitro Bumblebee (my first Deluxe Bumblebee since the first movie), he does some stuff so right. Although lacking a lot of paint detail, his legs and arms are shaped fairly movie accurately. I like his chest, too, which has parts of the front end folding over the middle of the front. Where things go wrong is, as is often the case (even with Battle Ops Bee), he's got a lot of car kibble on his back. I could almost forgive this, except that his doors don't really make his bee wings. I do kind of like his mech tech weapon. It's like an engine block that turns into Prime Bee's gun. All in all, though, I'm not a fan of either, and if they were packaged together, I would have passed on them.

The mediocre: Sideswipe looks ok in alt mode. I mean, seems aside, he's a fairly reasonable representation of the Corvette concept convertible. He's even got seats and a steering wheel, although he lacks floorboards (maybe you stop and go Fred Flintstone style). In bot mode, he's got his swordish-thingies, which is fine, and his tire feet, although they stuck the back of the car on his feet, too. Better balance, but less accurate. It's actually his front end making up his chest. Like the other two cars I've mentioned, he's got a ton of car kibble on his back. Oddly, this includes most of the sides of the car on movable posts as if he had wings. His mech tech weapon is a big gun with a fold out blade... not too bad.

The ok: I'm finding I kind of like Topspin, although I have no idea why they decided to name him Topspin. His alt-mode is kind of so-so. Like Nitro Bee, he's got the stealth force weapons-out thing going on, so he looks less Nascar and more Death Race. I dig that he has no Autobot insignias anywhere on him, allowing me to me to shoehorn him into the Decepticons in my Classics or Prime head-fanon, if I so desire. And I really want him to be a Decepticon. He's got a face that reminds me of Chrome Dome from TMNT, and hands that remind me of Clamps from Futurama's robot mafia, and I love the irony of his mech tech weapon being an even bigger clamp. He's also not as kibble-tastic as the other cars, and the kibble he has is even more forgivable when you figure they're movable shoulder-mounts for the four non-mech tech guns he's carrying.

Starscream and Thundercracker are the toys I was really after. From the top, they both look good, even if no real F-22 would have those paint jobs. From other angles, you can see they've got some junk hanging from the bottom of the plane. Not great, but no worse than the original Voyager Starscream that I have, or even Leader Starscream from the pics I've seen. I'll give that a little pass since they're just Deluxes. The transformation's not bad, and the bot mode is actually pretty good. Sure, he's not as randomly-jagged as his on-screen model, and his shoulder fins aren't quite a match, he might not be as broad, and his crotch is a little big, but on the whole he's pretty similar to Leader-class Starscream, with the sorts of changes you'd expect going from Leader-size down to Deluxe. He's worth my $6.98 by himself, which softens the blow of how crappy Nitro Bee and Roadbuster are. Starscream's weapons are a gun pod with a blade on the other side, and a mech tech gunpod that unfolds into a blade. They can be pegged into each other, which keeps the mech tech blade deployed, into an odd double-bladed weapon. Thundercracker has the same static gunpod/blade, but his mech tech weapon is a repaint of Roadbuster's chainsaw gun.

So that's to figures that suck, one that's mediocre, on that I like despite his flaws, and two good ones, plus a pile of weapons I can always use to arm my Classics guys who either didn't get a real weapon (Bumblebee, Cliffjumper) or need a hand weapon in addition to their shoulder weapons (Hound, Sideswipe). Not bad for $21.

There was one more pack I skipped out on at Target, that had regular DotM Bee and Air Raid. Anyone have either of those? Are either worth $7? Should I go back for them?

Don't have air raid. The regular bee is a fun toy, but I wouldn't recommend it purely for the reason that the cyberfire bumblebee repaint of that figure is a million times cooler a deco for that figure and has light piping that sucks light from another dimension. It's just such an evil paint scheme.

of course I also like deluxe roadbuster (I've got the orange repaint).

anyways, on the subject of internet reviewers, there are people who like long reviews that go into every little detail of the toy. more power to the reviewers that cater to that niche.

personally, I just want my god damn Soundwave. :wacko: