The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

MP-10 back in stock at TRU (no local pickup but free shipping), so not going to miss out again. Now if only they would get MP-11. Takara are too expensive. Makes m e weep to think we should be able to get the VF-17 for $110-125, too instead of over $300. Hell, VF-4 could be under $100 at proper distribution/volume. I'll go back to hoping Bandai buys HG again.

Someone refresh me on the Soundwave... it can store 3 tapes internally right? How does that work? Or is just conjecture at this point? For the tapes, themselves do the guns, etc still need to be stored separately? Seems like it would have to looking at the pics but that was my biggest beef with the tapes. Always lost Ravage or Lazerbeak accessories and they look gay without them.

Someone refresh me on the Soundwave... it can store 3 tapes internally right? How does that work? Or is just conjecture at this point? For the tapes, themselves do the guns, etc still need to be stored separately?
He can store 3 tapes. When one is ejected, there's a button or something that prepares the next one to eject. The weapons appear (on the birds, at least) to be integrated into the transformation.

Gun-hand (sort of like Hot Rods repair tool/saw). IIRC there's an audio port so folks are thinking there's some functionality there. I think Sideswipe looks great. I'll consider a Hasbro version but dollar has been beat down too much to consider importing it.

Thanks for the vid. I have been googling it but keep getting basic articles on tfsource, seibertron, twf2005 etc but none with that video or an explanation of how storage was going. If the tapes have the weapons built in that would definitely make me inclined to hunt for a US release version.

Is there anything new or interesting with his transformation? The lack of originality or "masterpiece-ness" is why I passed on Sideswipe, and the only gimmick I see with Soundwave are his tapes.

It's a highly articulated, G1 accurate Soundwave that's bigger than a bandai DX valk; what more do you need?

Storing it's cassettes internally is enough for me ... to consider the Hasbro release. Not enough to import it at 2-3x what it should normally cost, though.

I've still yet to see any Indication even that MP-10 has made it to my local TRU's. The Hayward one has gotten quite a few thundercrakers though. I still love my MP Thundercracker but I'm ridiculously excited for MP Soundwave, he's definitely going to be worth the import price IMO.

Personally though I'm kind of glad I haven't seen MP-10 in person, It's keeping me from spending a hundred dollars I shouldn't spend right now. :p Personally though I'd rather just see some deluxes/voyagers I actually want. I feel really bad because I found Hotspot and Dreadwing at TRU while they where having a sale, but I just wasn't in the mood to actually spend money on toys at the time. Now it's 2 weeks later, I'd be ready and willing to pick up either and they're all gon.

MP10 was in the bay area. I picked one up about a week ago at the fremont TRU for 119, luckily i had a 20% off coupon.

MP10 was in the bay area. I picked one up about a week ago at the fremont TRU for 119, luckily i had a 20% off coupon.

The one at pacific commons? Admittedly I don't get out their nearly as often but I've had no luck there either.

The one at pacific commons? Admittedly I don't get out their nearly as often but I've had no luck there either.

yeah, that one. I bought the last one there. But chances are good that if that location got it, the other stores in our area got it as well.

That's my take as well. I'm not importing any more MP's.

I'd consider another Megatron scaled to match MP10 and with better legs and proportions (IOW more like a Toyworld Hegemon) since I don't think we'll ever get a domestic release of something like that. I might not be able to resist a Galvatron and/or Skyfire if it wasn't insanely priced, either.

Speaking of Megatron, is there any chance the new mobile game will get toys? Because their version of Megs is something I've been wanting in a new Megatron.

I don't know how the transformation that's implied there would actually work in real life, but if it can be done It would be pretty cool (especially as an MP.)

That Megatron works pretty good. I like the idea of a more conventional era Galvatron predecessor artillery piece but they seem determined to make him a tank. If/when there's another Masterpiece, hard to see it being anything other than a P38 which means probably no Hasbro version... unless perhaps it's a triple changer.

Got my Hasbro MP10 in. I appreciate the new design, but am a bit... disappointed. Not by the smaller size or even the colors/paint as I feared (though I do like the fire truck red and deeper blues more than the G1 cartoon colors, it's far more minor), but more by the lack of the detail gimmicks I love so much in 20th Anniversary Prime/Takara MP1. I can definitely live with the lighter weight and minimal use of diecast and like the simpler transformation much better as well as how much tighter and better proportioned both the robot and truck forms are in the MP10, but it's missing the premium fine detail quality that the MP1 design evoked. I love the hell out of the moving mouthplate for some reason and don't see any reason that couldn't have been brought over. Definitely appreciate the neck/head more otherwise... except for the eyes. While I like the Hasbro painted eyes better than the Takaras they should have used that metallic gloss eyes paint from the 20th Anniversary. I miss the hydraulic joints and working suspension and I miss Formula Desert Dogs!

I like the new matrix chamber and metallic matrix more though do miss the light up feature (though not as much it's pull apart. I love the trailer, of course, and Roller and it's various options. I am happy there's no gimped smokestacks, too.

I think my dream Masterpiece Optimus would stay the same size of the MP10 with the same small amount of die cast, be in MP1/Takara paint scheme without battle damage (perhaps some optional removable panels ala Hot Toys). Would have full articulated individual fingers and thumbs like the MP1 but retain the grip tabs from the MP10 and perhaps have some sort of lock for the thumb. Would keep the simpler transformation and non moving matrix chamber from the MP10 but have an LED in there and the switch on the back pack under the Ion Blaster storage (which would definitely be retained from MP10... with the exception of the green insert back in the barrel! Wrist communicators can probably stay gone though they seem easy enough to incorporate or not. Moving mouth plate with a neck base plate that secures that locks. Leg Transformation still from the MP10 though the wheel covers should overlap to act as a lock on the bottom in truck mode and should retain a moving lock on the top to join up in the center of the trailer hitch (which would click/lock in with the straight tabs as guides). And put the color inserts in the toes/heels/tail lights. LEDs could be nice but not absolutely required.

Edited by Uxi

• 2 weeks later...

Between my house and where I work, I basically have two Targets and two Walmarts. There is one TRU around, but it's near the mall and traffic around there isn't worth the aggravation this time of year.

Anyway, both of the Targets have a FoC Optimus and a Shockwave or two, and two or three pegs of Prime Bumblebee. Surprisingly, both Targets had Powerizer/Voyager Prime Starscream and Optimus. I imagine Starscream would be quite a find if I didn't already find him and Bulkhead at TRU a few months back.

Of the Walmarts, the one had pretty much nothing but DotM Voyager Optimus. The other has several Prime Optimuses (Optimi?), a few Prime Bumblebees, a lone FoC Optimus, and amazingly enough FoC Vortex and FoC Blast Off.

Let's be clear: the SDCC Bruticus would have been the way to go, and I would have bought on at the Hasbro Toy Shop like I have past SDCC exclusives had it ever been available. While not perfect, it was similar to the game. Blast Off and Vortex's G2 colors look better than the regular retail toys, I think. Problem is, a red Swindle and a yellow Onslaught just don't work for me, so with SDCC Bruticus off the table, retail it is.

And... there's not a lot to say about them, really. I'll get Hasbro some credit for making a combiner figure that don't need extra kibble parts (unlike the original G1/G2/RiD combiners) but actually have individual limbs with hands (unlike the Energon combiners). On the other hand, Deluxe prices have crept up to $15, while they've gone down in quality a lot. My Vortex is missing the Decepticon insignia on his chest. They're both similar in size to FoC Optimus or Shockwave. Both of them have a number of hollow spots, especially Vortex's lower legs and Blast Off's arms. I understand if Hasbro has to charge more because of inflation/rising petroleum costs, but if they're going to jack up the price and cut the quality, I'm probably going to buy a lot fewer Transformers.

I hear ya.

Saw the Fruiticons at Target yesterday. At $15.49 each (not incl sales-tax).

They're just not worth that. Seriously.

I'll just wait for a damn sale at about $10 each.

As much as I'm complaining, I'll get the other three if I see them, and I do want Voyager FoC Grimlock and Deluxe FoC Starscream whenever they're released. But I'm skipping Soundwave, Blaster, and probably Kickback from the FoC line, and I'm probably already done with Prime (unless Dreadwing turns out awesome).

It isn't just rising oil and gas prices that have hurt Hasbro; plastic prices have gone way up as well. It's getting harder for them to make a profit without totally adjusting their prices, so if you notice a lot of their newer figures have much less plastic in them. Hollow spaces, cavities, and the like.

It isn't just rising oil and gas prices that have hurt Hasbro; plastic prices have gone way up as well. It's getting harder for them to make a profit without totally adjusting their prices, so if you notice a lot of their newer figures have much less plastic in them. Hollow spaces, cavities, and the like.

I was under the impression that the increase in the cost of plastic was due to the increase in petroleum prices, as petroleum is a key ingredient in the plastic.

I find myself hoping for Hasbro/Takara to revist some of the other MP molds like Grimlock again, seeing how I missed him. Rodimus would be nice, too. The idea that I could see 3 or 4 different masterpieces on the shelf side by side would be nice, too, though I guess they're sticking with the 1-2 separately every year thing?

As much as I'm complaining, I'll get the other three if I see them, and I do want Voyager FoC Grimlock and Deluxe FoC Starscream whenever they're released. But I'm skipping Soundwave, Blaster, and probably Kickback from the FoC line, and I'm probably already done with Prime (unless Dreadwing turns out awesome).

fwiw, Blast Off and Onslaught have great Fruiticon-colors. The rest are quite meh to me, especially Brawn's boring green.

On other toys, I'm definitely getting voyager-class Blaster, but I'm not that keen on the Soundwave/SoundBlaster versions, tho.

I'm still on the fence of getting TRU-Thundercracker. It's been shelfwarming the local TRU here for the last month or so.

I was under the impression that the increase in the cost of plastic was due to the increase in petroleum prices, as petroleum is a key ingredient in the plastic.

That's exactly right. But when most people hear "oil prices are going up" they assume it only means gasoline and transportation costs are going up. I work in the plastics industry and it's much harder to make a profit when you raw material costs $1.00 per pound instead of $0.70 per pound.

That's exactly right. But when most people hear "oil prices are going up" they assume it only means gasoline and transportation costs are going up. I work in the plastics industry and it's much harder to make a profit when you raw material costs $1.00 per pound instead of $0.70 per pound.

I know what you mean. That's why I was careful to say "petroleum" and not oil or fuel.

http://www.moviereplicasdirect.com/the-loyal-subjects-x-transformers-mini-figure-16pc-bmb-display.html

these are super cute. hopefully they'll somebody breaks up the cases and sells them as singles because I really don't want to pay $200 for a bunch of duplicate blind box figures.

LoyalSubjectsMinifigs_1355618762.jpg

I thought I'd add my voice to those lamenting the drop in quality of Hasbro/Takara TFs over the past year or two. I've picked up a few Prime figs, and it's not just in plastic volume they're lacking, but the transformations have been greatly simplified, and even their likenesses (Knockout) are questionable. Add to this Deluxes shrunk in size proportional to the hike in price. :(

I'm interested in MP Sideswipe, but then I look at Binaltech Meister (Jazz), who's everpresent on my desk, and the drop in overall quality of even current premium official figures becomes all too apparent. It definitely dampens my enthusiasm for collecting, especially now when they're finally giving G1 the MP treatment, for which I had extraordinarily high hopes based on previous MP and Binaltech lines. That said, I'll definitely get Soundwave and all his cassettes, which are still some of my all-time favorite characters. Love how they redid the cassettes especially.

The one Autobot I've hoped and dreamed to see given MP treatment is Prowl. If they make him, I hope they are as slavish to his original box art in bot mode as possible. He was my first Transformer toy, and that sweet box art sang to me. I was a supremely disappointed 13 yr old as I transformed him to his brickish bot mode. Classics Prowl was ok, but too many liberties were taken in his "re-imagining". And so, I have really high expectations of a MP Prowl toy, and I'm sure it'll fall a bit short, but I'm still holding out hope that they'll get pretty close, plastic tires and hollow limbs notwithstanding.

Would you believe that at a Target this close to Christmas, with the Transformers shelves picked almost completely clean I happened to find a lone Rumble Frenzy on a peg next to a couple bumblebees and a knockout? This dude is so awesome, he's like a little blue munchkin of doom and I love him.