The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

And now for something a little different. Takara Tomy's YouTube channel has episodes of Transformers, for those who have never seen the Japanese dub. Be warned that the videos may or may not work in the U.S. (viewers in Asia can see these episodes just fine).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL5EQmn7O24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1U9saSojQQ

Would you believe that at a Target this close to Christmas, with the Transformers shelves picked almost completely clean I happened to find a lone Rumble Frenzy on a peg next to a couple bumblebees and a knockout? This dude is so awesome, he's like a little blue munchkin of doom and I love him.

You mean Prime Deluxe Rumble? He was the only Deluxe-class Transformer at a Kmart sort of near me. I passed. I couldn't see any reason to get non-show character who bears so little resemblance to his G1 counterpart, despite the fact that my Prime Autobots must outnumber the Decepticons 2-1.

I find it ironic that (as always, despite people's predictions/claims) I only ever see random, scattered FOC Combaticons. Similar things happened with G2, and RiD----no matter how evenly-packed a case assortment is, no matter how many claims of "people only buy the whole team"----you never see entire teams "arrived and bought" or "all there fresh from the case"----it's mix and match. Somebody bought Onslaught and Swindle and Blast-Off at one store, and somebody bought everybody but Swindle at another, and everybody but Vortex at another...

I find it ironic that (as always, despite people's predictions/claims) I only ever see random, scattered FOC Combaticons. Similar things happened with G2, and RiD----no matter how evenly-packed a case assortment is, no matter how many claims of "people only buy the whole team"----you never see entire teams "arrived and bought" or "all there fresh from the case"----it's mix and match. Somebody bought Onslaught and Swindle and Blast-Off at one store, and somebody bought everybody but Swindle at another, and everybody but Vortex at another...

Usually I'm in the same situation; find one at this store, another at that. However, there were one of each of all the FOC Combaticons at my local Walmart last week. While I'm not overly crazy about them, I struggled with my impulse to scoop them up right there and then, having never owned a complete combiner set in over 20 years of collecting. The $15 price tag per fig grounded me, and I left the store empty-handed. If these things were still selling at $10 a piece, I most likely would have bought them all.

I've only seen retail Combaticons once at a TRU, but there was a complete set there. No idea if all of them where bought by the same person but they were all gone in a couple days (passed on them because I don't need 5 deluxes at once and I'm not really liking the FoC toys so far).

You mean Prime Deluxe Rumble? He was the only Deluxe-class Transformer at a Kmart sort of near me. I passed. I couldn't see any reason to get non-show character who bears so little resemblance to his G1 counterpart, despite the fact that my Prime Autobots must outnumber the Decepticons 2-1.

You should get him because he's awesome and quite possibly the coolest looking toy in the Prime RID line thus far.

8289151548_1313686931_c.jpg

Transformers prime Frenzy by Mike - drowning in plastic, on Flickr

I really need to buy up a bunch of reprolabels for my prime toys. knockout and ratchet desperately need them, and rumble looks even more awesome with them.

http://reprolabels.com/Prime/p7.php

That pic does move Rumble a bit further up the want-o-meter.

I found a single set of Combaticons in my local TRU. I had a hunch I'd never see them again, so I bought them. True the $15 per price tag sucks, but the last time I'd been to that store, Deluxes cost quite a bit more.

Still haven't opened them. Fiddling with combiners takes up far more time than a typical figure. And I don't have much to spare lately. I moved nearly two months ago, but have yet to assemble the Matty Voltron for the display case.

You should get him because he's awesome and quite possibly the coolest looking toy in the Prime RID line thus far.

Maybe if he turns up at one of my regular stores. I surely wasn't paying the $19 Kmart wanted.

Between two Targets, two Walmarts, and a Kmart, I've only seen Combaticons at one of the Walmarts. Found a solitary Vortex one day. Went back a few days later and found a solitary Blast Off. At this point, I'm thinking I'll just order the other three on Amazon. Seems like Hasbro's distribution crapped the bed around the original WfC and RTS lines (I never saw Perceptor at regular retail, only at Marshall's), and ever since toy hunting for Transformers just isn't fun anymore. Combine that the price increases and the quality reduction, and I think I might quit entirely soon.

I find it ironic that (as always, despite people's predictions/claims) I only ever see random, scattered FOC Combaticons. Similar things happened with G2, and RiD----no matter how evenly-packed a case assortment is, no matter how many claims of "people only buy the whole team"----you never see entire teams "arrived and bought" or "all there fresh from the case"----it's mix and match.

Guilty as charged... I got the G2 set from Amazon, and it just didn't look right to me as-is, so I bought a retail Onslaught and Blast-Off to help offset the weird coloring. I call him G1.6 Bruticus now. I'm leaning toward buying the rest of the "standard" set now, however, so the Decepticon logos match up. The regular retail version also seems like it got to focus more on detail paint apps due to not splashing purple camo print all over everything.

The G2 set seems like knock-off quality plastic, and the QC is terrible. My Swindle's head pivot pin (for his transformation) actually got driven in at an angle, and I had to drill/punch it back out to get his head to align properly during transformation. Previously, it was like he was trying to look down at his elbow when the head tipped forward. Fortunately, I picked up some very small drill bits and punches for just such an occasion.

Between two Targets, two Walmarts, and a Kmart, I've only seen Combaticons at one of the Walmarts. Found a solitary Vortex one day. Went back a few days later and found a solitary Blast Off. At this point, I'm thinking I'll just order the other three on Amazon. Seems like Hasbro's distribution crapped the bed around the original WfC and RTS lines (I never saw Perceptor at regular retail, only at Marshall's), and ever since toy hunting for Transformers just isn't fun anymore. Combine that the price increases and the quality reduction, and I think I might quit entirely soon.

I'm actually glad that at I missed a lot of the RTS stuff at regular retailers, I was eventually able to get Perceptor, jazz and tracks for like $7 each at Ross down the line. the only thing I never got that I really wanted was Grapple, although I think I prefer hot spot as that mold anyways, his colors are so crazy and he's got an amazingly evil looking head.

Hollow spaces are fugly and not wanted. The video makes him look like a lightweight Generations toy, which I don't want. Pass.

Complaining about the hollow spaces on FoC toys is getting old. I mean, one figures like Swindle, where his forearms are hollow for no better reason than to save plastic, sure, I get it. But having some hollow spaces on the back Grimlock's legs in bot mode and some of his underside in dino mode due to his transformation isn't that big a deal. I mean, he's a Voyager, not a Masterpiece, and tons better than Classics Deluxe Grimlock (who I intend to replace with FoC Grimlock on my Classics shelf).

Complaining about the hollow spaces on FoC toys is getting old. I mean, one figures like Swindle, where his forearms are hollow for no better reason than to save plastic, sure, I get it. But having some hollow spaces on the back Grimlock's legs in bot mode and some of his underside in dino mode due to his transformation isn't that big a deal. I mean, he's a Voyager, not a Masterpiece, and tons better than Classics Deluxe Grimlock (who I intend to replace with FoC Grimlock on my Classics shelf).

This.

Considering the steady decrease in plastic and complexity we're seeing in almost all Hasbro TF's, Grimlock is one of the best Hasbro offerings this year.

As for MP Soundwave, I can't wait for him to arrive. Depending on how good his leg articulation is, I might just display him crouched on top of my stereo receiver, and maybe customize a faux cable leading from his chest into the headphone jack.

Grimlock's entire torso is hollow from the back with only his dino head to kindasortamaybe fill it in. That's almost as bad as completely hollow legs like on FoC Prime to me. I like Transformers as much as anyone on these boards, but I'm just a bit pickier on what I'll actually buy.

eh, he's less hollow looking in dino mode, more articulated in robot mode and way the hell bigger overall than Animated Grimlock, so that's good enough for me. (and the light up face is pretty cool too).

I don't know why but there's something oddly appealing to about the new beast hunter deluxes:

I already have the original Wheeljack and Soundwave molds, but the remolds look just crazy enough to work for me, and I never did pick up any form of Prime Bumblebee. also Soundwave has ravage ^_^

I can't help but think if FOC Grimlock's legs/tail had more than a 1-step transformation, if that wouldn't have made them look better in BOTH modes..

I'm thinking something like those little flip-in panels on Animated Arcee's lower legs. A small, simple change, that both fills in a gap and slims it down in a spot.

Related note: If raw plastic cost and number of parts is the main problem Hasbro is having to deal with--then why do we get ever-costlier more complex weapon gimmicks lately? Did Beast Hunter Soundwave need a firing grapple hook with string, that probably costs half as much again as the figure itself? Same for Wheeljack's firing spear. Put that plastic and their paint apps IN THE FIGURE. I miss TF's that had simple 1-piece guns and swords that could easily store in their alt modes. (having a giant honking light-up spring-loaded weapon that's NOT USED IN THE SHOW hanging off the fender via a molded-on post that uglifies the alt-mode is NOT the same)

Final note---BH Soundwave would look better if he had all gold, and not gold paint with lemon yellow plastic. But then he'd crumble apart in 18 months...

Honestly, I've liked every Prime RID toy I've gotten so far. Even one's that have better versions available from the FE line have still been fun toys and even have some qualities I like better. Of course, a Toy being a weird alternate take on the same character that goes about the design in a completely different manner is interesting to me and enough of a reason to re-buy the same character. That's probebly why I've got two primes, two starscreams, two arcees and three megatrons on my prime shelf right now.

:edit:

And after almost two months of owning him I just now noticed that my FE bulkhead has two left heels. <_< strike against the FE line I guess.

Edited by anime52k8

Grimlock's entire torso is hollow from the back with only his dino head to kindasortamaybe fill it in. That's almost as bad as completely hollow legs like on FoC Prime to me. I like Transformers as much as anyone on these boards, but I'm just a bit pickier on what I'll actually buy.

Grimlock's got a hollow torso that his head fits into so he doesn't have a huge dino head for a backpack, and he looks to be better than either Classics Deluxe or Animated Voyager Grimlock. And the back of FoC Prime's legs are hollow so his thighs fit in them for his transformation, making him no worse than WfC Megatron, or Classics/Universe/RTS/Generations Mirage, Prowl, Wheeljack, Tracks, Smokescreen, Silverstreak, Sideswipe, Sunstreaker, or Scourge, and only slightly worse than RTS Jazz and Universe Onslaught.

I'm not saying the FoC has been great. Shockwave's a little small and spindly and has a wretched alt mode. For legs that don't do anything but fold up underneath, Jazz has awful poseability. The three Combaticons I've managed to get my hands on (Swindle, Vortex, and Blast-Off) have been particularly wretched, with scout-quality figures horribly compromised to ensure that they can transform into bot, alt, arm, or leg. And in Swindle's case especially, the hollow plastic complaint is justified with forearms that are clearly hollow for no other reason than to skimp on plastic. And I know they can do much better (Transformers Prime RID Vehicon stands out as a particularly awesome recent Deluxe).

But FoC Prime, for all of his faults, is actually the best FoC figure so far, with solid bot mode that pegs into a solid alt mode. And Grimlock's looking pretty good too, IMHO. I don't expect a Deluxe or Voyager figure to be perfect, just good enough.

Related note: If raw plastic cost and number of parts is the main problem Hasbro is having to deal with--then why do we get ever-costlier more complex weapon gimmicks lately? Did Beast Hunter Soundwave need a firing grapple hook with string, that probably costs half as much again as the figure itself? Same for Wheeljack's firing spear. Put that plastic and their paint apps IN THE FIGURE. I miss TF's that had simple 1-piece guns and swords that could easily store in their alt modes. (having a giant honking light-up spring-loaded weapon that's NOT USED IN THE SHOW hanging off the fender via a molded-on post that uglifies the alt-mode is NOT the same)

I'm guessing Hasbro has some company policy about a compulsory new gimmick for every new line.

But that said, it doesn't explain FOC Jazz's tiny one-piece gun and his over-simplified transformation, and poor ankle articulation.

I'm guessing Hasbro has some company policy about a compulsory new gimmick for every new line.

I think they do. Of course, standard fan response is "TRANSFORMING is the gimmick" (and the only one they should have). RID didn't seem to have a gimmick that I recall---unless you consider "being among the very best lines, strictly on a quality-of-the-transformation basis" a gimmick. :p

I think they do. Of course, standard fan response is "TRANSFORMING is the gimmick" (and the only one they should have). RID didn't seem to have a gimmick that I recall---unless you consider "being among the very best lines, strictly on a quality-of-the-transformation basis" a gimmick. :p

I'll take quality designs as a gimmick over BFG's and automatically transforming parts any day.

I do keep wondering why fans say Hasbro doesn't care about adult collectors. Sure, they dont look to us as a viable source of income, but iF they didn't care about us, Generations would probably have been discontinued with the advent of the movie line, and Takara MP's would have never made it to the US. I doubt kids have any real interest in neo-G1 TF's; they usually only buy what's shown on TV.

I wonder about "number of purchasers vs numbers purchased"---sure, adult fans may be a much smaller percentage than kids, but most kids move on to the "next big thing" every year, while adult fans can easily buy for over a decade. Even if it's a 10 to 1 ratio for kids to adults, that'd make collectors buy just as much product as kids, on a long-term basis.

I'll take quality designs as a gimmick over BFG's and automatically transforming parts any day.

I do keep wondering why fans say Hasbro doesn't care about adult collectors. Sure, they dont look to us as a viable source of income, but iF they didn't care about us, Generations would probably have been discontinued with the advent of the movie line, and Takara MP's would have never made it to the US. I doubt kids have any real interest in neo-G1 TF's; they usually only buy what's shown on TV.

I think the reason fans say Hasbro doesn't care is due to the overabundance of bumblebee on the shelf for each line. Add to that the fact that most of the final final figures from a line never see release or the fact that some pieces (namely MP Prime) are so difficult to find. I agree that Generations is definitely a "thank you" from Hasbro to longtime fans and it's something I appreciate.

I like giant spring loaded missile launching guns with lights and sounds. I think they're fun.

Resolve... weakening... :wacko:

Come to the dark side... We have cookies... and Soundwaves. :p

darth-vader-gloves-3.gif

Edited by anime52k8

I wonder about "number of purchasers vs numbers purchased"---sure, adult fans may be a much smaller percentage than kids, but most kids move on to the "next big thing" every year, while adult fans can easily buy for over a decade. Even if it's a 10 to 1 ratio for kids to adults, that'd make collectors buy just as much product as kids, on a long-term basis.

You have a point there. Kids these days are much more into ipads and PS Vita's and whatnot than physical toys. They'd be more likely to buy a TF video game

than an actual TF. The movies saw a sudden boom in toy sales, but I'm almost certain that was due to a massive surge of adult collectors buying them in an effort to reconnect with their childhood. TBH, I left TF's behind after reaching my teens, and it was only after the 2007 movie that I bought a TF for the first time in well over ten years.

That was how I got into toy collecting in general.

I think the reason fans say Hasbro doesn't care is due to the overabundance of bumblebee on the shelf for each line. Add to that the fact that most of the final final figures from a line never see release or the fact that some pieces (namely MP Prime) are so difficult to find. I agree that Generations is definitely a "thank you" from Hasbro to longtime fans and it's something I appreciate.

I'm only guessing here, the swarm of killer Bee's is more due to Hasbro's increasingly conservative style of marketing. From Hasbro's marketing department to Walmart to TRU, most everyone sees Bee as the ultiate kid appeal character. For fear of shelf-warming, they stock up crazy amounts of the character in the belief that if kids were allowed only one purchase, it would either be OP or Bee. The other characters get sidelined in the process.

Final wave characters not seeing a release is probably because of Hasbro (or rather the departmental stores) trying to save resources for upcoming lines, or cutting their losses after the lackluster sales of earlier waves.

As for TRU's crappy distribution, i've no idea.

RID's Gimmick was that over 50% of the figures released where repaints of G2 and Transmetal 2 toys with the occasional beast machines mold sprinkled in. That and being incredibly over-engineered shell formers.