The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

That's because you don't live in Asia, my friend--or more specifically, Malaysia.

Man, why do I gotta live in stupid America? Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it's so boring!

In all seriousness, when I was in Beijing last spring, we passed a street filled with shops on our way back from the Forbidden City. A lot of it seemed like your typical boring stuff, but amid all the clothing stores and cheap electronics was a Bandai store. I really wanted to go, but my in-laws aren't really into that sort of stuff and they wanted to keep taking me to see the historical stuff. I figure when I finish grad school I'm going to invest more time in learning Chinese (especially reading) and the Beijing bus routes so that next time I'm there, I can go to the Bandai store by myself.

Is anyone else bugged about the trailer stands for MP10? They should pull toward the rear so the cab could connect with the legs down and have enough clearance to rise and lower with the cab attached.

Is anyone else bugged about the trailer stands for MP10? They should pull toward the rear so the cab could connect with the legs down and have enough clearance to rise and lower with the cab attached.

I wasn't until you pointed it out... :(

I don't even know about what your talking about because I don't have one. :(

Man, why do I gotta live in stupid America? Sometimes it's great, but sometimes it's so boring!

LOL! That sounds just like me in the anime statue thread! I guess unless you live in Japan, there's bound to be one thing or other you're missing out on.

In all seriousness, when I was in Beijing last spring, we passed a street filled with shops on our way back from the Forbidden City. A lot of it seemed like your typical boring stuff, but amid all the clothing stores and cheap electronics was a Bandai store. I really wanted to go, but my in-laws aren't really into that sort of stuff and they wanted to keep taking me to see the historical stuff. I figure when I finish grad school I'm going to invest more time in learning Chinese (especially reading) and the Beijing bus routes so that next time I'm there, I can go to the Bandai store by myself.

It's been over a decade since I last visited Beijing, but basically,, it's, "have bicycle, will travel." Traffic's not quite as bad as Vietnam, but there were more bicycles and cars on the streets back then. Might be pretty different these days.

I wouldn't try the public transportation, though. From what I've read, some passengers have been known to take a leak right where they stood (this occured in Xiamen, though, not Beijing). Then again, I'm not sure if the sources are all that reliable, seeing as it came from sankaku complex (practically the biggest clubhouse for weaboos in the net).

Not really bugged about it, as my MP-10 spends most of his time in bot mode, and the trailer is usually in "maintenance bay" mode.

It's been over a decade since I last visited Beijing, but basically,, it's, "have bicycle, will travel." Traffic's not quite as bad as Vietnam, but there were more bicycles and cars on the streets back then. Might be pretty different these days.

I wouldn't try the public transportation, though. From what I've read, some passengers have been known to take a leak right where they stood (this occured in Xiamen, though, not Beijing). Then again, I'm not sure if the sources are all that reliable, seeing as it came from sankaku complex (practically the biggest clubhouse for weaboos in the net).

Yeah, I'm guessing it's changed a lot, because there were very few bicycles, and cars everywhere. The most impressive thing about that is that aside from lights (of which there are few), road signs and rules are treated as more like a guideline than law. Cars constantly change lanes and cut each other off, never using turn signals and always with inches to spare, and everybody is honking all the time. The mind blowing thing about it is that in three weeks, I didn't see a single accident!

I wouldn't drive in Beijing, and riding a bike is like asking to be killed. But the public transportation is actually pretty great. The attitude there isn't just Chinese national pride; Beijingers see themselves as a shining example of the best China has to offer. They see their city as the best in China, they think they're better than non-Beijingers, and that pride motivates most of them to set an example. The city was clean, the buses were clean (and cheap), and everyone is on their best behavior. The few times anyone was even remotely rude, everyone else would gang up on him with lines like, "Shut up! Act like a Beijinger!" My only complaint is that, with all the traffic, buses going into the city (my in-laws live in the 4th Ring) don't go particularly fast, so it can take awhile to get from point A to point B. Well, that and the fact that a healthy 30-something like myself will rarely get to sit on the bus.

Yeah, I'm guessing it's changed a lot, because there were very few bicycles, and cars everywhere. The most impressive thing about that is that aside from lights (of which there are few), road signs and rules are treated as more like a guideline than law. Cars constantly change lanes and cut each other off, never using turn signals and always with inches to spare, and everybody is honking all the time. The mind blowing thing about it is that in three weeks, I didn't see a single accident!

I wouldn't drive in Beijing, and riding a bike is like asking to be killed. But the public transportation is actually pretty great. The attitude there isn't just Chinese national pride; Beijingers see themselves as a shining example of the best China has to offer. They see their city as the best in China, they think they're better than non-Beijingers, and that pride motivates most of them to set an example. The city was clean, the buses were clean (and cheap), and everyone is on their best behavior. The few times anyone was even remotely rude, everyone else would gang up on him with lines like, "Shut up! Act like a Beijinger!" My only complaint is that, with all the traffic, buses going into the city (my in-laws live in the 4th Ring) don't go particularly fast, so it can take awhile to get from point A to point B. Well, that and the fact that a healthy 30-something like myself will rarely get to sit on the bus.

Wow, sounds like a completely different Beijing than the one I last saw. If anything, they're starting to sound more like the Shanghainese.

Have the public toilets improved any? I still shudder at the thought of what I saw the last time. Hell, in one restaurant I went to (and a rather classy one, I might add), the doors in the cubicles were missing! Good thing I only had to take a leak. Can't imagine taking a dump in full view of everyone else.

I suppose those that have been reported eating in subway trains and busses in Hong Kong (where eating and drinking is not allowed) and peeing in public transports must be from other provinces.

yeah.. that's not like the beijing I experienced either. When I was there the air quality was somewhere between "people breathe this?" and "I'm pretty sure the air here is trying to kill me." and tourist sites like the summer palace were filled with left over plastic wrappers and grocery bags from where people were having picnics... just anywhere that there was grass and shade. Actually seeing any of the exhibits involved muscling people out of the way since the concept of waiting in line hadn't made its way over there at the time... and don't get me started on the people walking around and randomly coughing and spitting phlegm all over the street.

The two stands at the front does not bother me a bit, but the two giant blue stands does bugged the hell out of me and I yanked it off as soon as I open the box.

post-7962-0-79447100-1357454132_thumb.jpg

yeah.. that's not like the beijing I experienced either. When I was there the air quality was somewhere between "people breathe this?" and "I'm pretty sure the air here is trying to kill me." and tourist sites like the summer palace were filled with left over plastic wrappers and grocery bags from where people were having picnics... just anywhere that there was grass and shade. Actually seeing any of the exhibits involved muscling people out of the way since the concept of waiting in line hadn't made its way over there at the time... and don't get me started on the people walking around and randomly coughing and spitting phlegm all over the street.

I had a similar experience at the Forbidden City and the Great Wall. It was a nightmare trying to take pictures, as everyone just walks in front of whatever you're aiming at.

The two stands at the front does not bother me a bit, but the two giant blue stands does bugged the hell out of me and I yanked it off as soon as I open the box.

What would bug me is Hotrod being so much taller than Red Alert and Sideswipe...

Nevermind that, When I was in Toisan trying having dim sum while people clean their noses (you know holding one nostril while blowing with the other) next your table and talking with semi masticated food while spitting everywhere. And yeah they all drive benz's

Anyway I digress. Best Place to buy collectables in china is hong kong. Tim sum Choi has some spots and better than that place near central

so you purposely broke the toy by ripping off one of the main features of the trailer (self deploying supports for the trailer sides in base mode).

What would bug me is Hotrod being so much taller than Red Alert and Sideswipe...

yeah Rodimus is definitely more in scale with MP-01 than MP-10.

Have the public toilets improved any? I still shudder at the thought of what I saw the last time. Hell, in one restaurant I went to (and a rather classy one, I might add), the doors in the cubicles were missing! Good thing I only had to take a leak. Can't imagine taking a dump in full view of everyone else.

I can't say for sure, as I avoid public toilets as much as possible. I only recall using the restroom at a Da Ya Li way out around the 6th Ring, and at one of the parks (either Purple Zizhuyuan or Beihai), and while they gross I'd say they're no worse than the public restrooms here in the greater Pittsburgh area.

yeah.. that's not like the beijing I experienced either

When were you there? As I understand it, A LOT of these changes are in the past few years. The Olympics were sort of Beijing's world debut, and a lot of the civic pride I experienced seems to have its roots in the idea that Beijing is now the face that China shows to the world. There are signs up now advertising the "Beijing Spirit" (Patriotism, Innovation, Inclusiveness, Virtue) that my wife tells me are pretty new.

Actually seeing any of the exhibits involved muscling people out of the way since the concept of waiting in line hadn't made its way over there at the time...
Yeah, that part is still the same. An irritation at tourist sites, but a necessary skill if you plan on getting on or off a bus in Beijing.

Getting back on topic...

But they're part of the original toy's gimmick! I was thinking it was freaking awesome that the trailer had those!

Hot Rod, perhaps... but Rodimus Prime?

I wasn't until you pointed it out... :(

lol sorry

Hot Rod, perhaps... but Rodimus Prime?

It was a nice idea but just with leg telescoping and face switching is not nearly enough. He should significantly increase no less than 1/4-1/3 in bulk as well as height. Best to leave it to two separate toys or at the very least have the Rodimus Prime use it's Space Winnebago Trailer to form the bulk as an exoskeleton (and/or use it as a the "attack platform" with regular Hot Rod).

I would like to base part half as thick maybe (and thus the "foot" would telescope out twice as much), but overall I like it. Part of the original design homage and provides support.

I'm thinking the stands at the front not only need to open rearward but should telescope, as well. Almost looks like they thought of that and cheaped out. Or just went that extra mile on the sculpt. Should we be optimists or pessimists? :D

It was a nice idea but just with leg telescoping and face switching is not nearly enough. He should significantly increase no less than 1/4-1/3 in bulk as well as height. Best to leave it to two separate toys or at the very least have the Rodimus Prime use it's Space Winnebago Trailer to form the bulk as an exoskeleton (and/or use it as a the "attack platform" with regular Hot Rod).

How would that even work though? The entire difference between Hotrod and Rodimus prime is a strait 20% drag box enlargement and more lines on his face. The amount of added complexity and parts you'd be adding just to wrap the toy in a shell that looks identical but bigger makes no sense.

I still think works fine the way he is, he just changes scale from mode to mode. He's in scale with MP-01 in Hotrod mode, and MP-10 in Rodimus Prime mode.

Smokescreen is getting is getting a unique mold toy, unfortunately it's all covered in spikes and stuff, which is too bad because I like Smokescreen's actual design.

also, why has bulkhead suddenly become brawn?

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/beast-hunters-deluxe-bulkhead-and-smokescreen-176607/

Uxi "I'm thinking the stands at the front not only need to open rearward but should telescope, as well. Almost looks like they thought of that and cheaped out. Or just went that extra mile on the sculpt. Should we be optimists or pessimists? :D"

I guess you could customize it.

I like one review I read where since Hot Rod and the other Movie bots were designed to be futuristic muscle cars and such and can get away with being that huge to an extent. Also you rarely at least in the movie anyway see them next to many original cars so who knows what his actual scale is supposed to be. As usual I could be wrong. Of all the newer MPs Grimlock is the only one truly out of scale in bot mode.

http://www.tfw2005.c...-photos-176611/

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about Frenzy/Rumble by themselves, but GOD DAMN THEIR WEAPONS STORE ON SOUNDWAVE IN TAPE DECK MODE!!! Also, G1 tape compatibility. ^_^

sort-of-want-WANT-700x505.jpg

:edit:

BTW, Has their been any useful discussion on how MP Soundwave's hips work? I Just noticed something from the official promo pics and I'm not sure if I've made a relevant discovery or if I'm just really late to the party.

Edited by anime52k8

http://www.tfw2005.c...-photos-176611/

I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about Frenzy/Rumble by themselves, but GOD DAMN THEIR WEAPONS STORE ON SOUNDWAVE IN TAPE DECK MODE!!! Also, G1 tape compatibility. ^_^

My willingness to buy MP cassettes is based entirely on their price. I mean, yeah, that's probably the best Frumblezy I've seen that turns into a tape, but he still looks like a freaking Scout.

On the topic of Hot Rod/Rodimus, what does everyone think of that waist-flap they use for him?

I mean it is OK when he is standing straight, but I don't like that when you move the leg forward the whole thing has to open.

I wish they had done the waist/leg setup like it is pictured in his manual, below rather than behind.

Hot Rod/Rodimus waist-flap, I do think TakHas could've done a better job. That piece dose not bothers me much when he's in robot form, but in vehicle mode, that's another story, because it's barely off the ground.

MP Cassettes, I truly admire Laserbeak, the design is a true masterpiece, and Buzzsaw is just a repaint. Rumble and Frenzy are not true to the cartoon version and their feet are flat, but who knows, it might look alright in person. As for Ravage, I like to original 80's design, don’t really like to MP version, yet.

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/transformers-prime-39/in-hand-photos-of-beast-hunters-smokescreen-176634/

good news, all the spikey bits on smokescreen come off so you can have his awesome show accurate alt mode. bad news, he's got hella arm kibble.

still interested though.

http://www.tfw2005.c...escreen-176634/

good news, all the spikey bits on smokescreen come off so you can have his awesome show accurate alt mode. bad news, he's got hella arm kibble.

still interested though.

Yeah. Better than the Knock Out repaint.

I wasn't going to buy any of the Beast Hunters stuff, but the new OP is growing on me, especially with the Star Saber in hand. He sure does look angry though.

Beast Hunter Prime's head looks horrible to me though the rest of figure seems ok despite looking a little chunky. Still only planning to buy deluxe Smokescreen so far. I can't stand how the front package art is the same image for each figure like Beast Machines packages. What makes it more annoying is that, at least for the Voyagers, they have individual character art on the side of the box.

The base body is workable, but the head and all the acid clear green plastic has to go.

Hopefully Takara does this and gives it darker metallic paint trim and then it might turn out great.

Anybody noticed those two yellow plastic thingies just under the windscreens, they look like the vents from the Nu Gundam :)

And have you read THIS!

Hasbro you have my curiosity, make it a voyager and you'll have my attention...

Edited by lechuck

I'm definitely planning on getting Smokescreen. I'll probably end up getting Prime too, but more because he's Prime than out of any love for that particular prime.

And have you read THIS!

Hasbro you have my curiosity, make it a voyager and you'll have my attention...

Now that is interesting... :ohmy: