The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I'd love to see Yuki do a separate MP line that isn't always G1 Cartoon focused.

For me, I think that's my main issue with MP UM. And it has NOTHING to do with the White Prime/armor debate.

It's the details. Or lack thereof. Like, compared to MP Sideswipe or Prowl. They have tail lights. And turn signals. And windshield wipers. None of those things were in the cartoon---but the real cars have them, so the MP's do. The real-world alt-modes were used as a basis to "enhance" the look.

But MP UM is the opposite. Look at truck mode from the rear. There is nothing there. Just blank unpainted flatness. Because that's the cartoon ultra-simplified look. The toy looked much better there---tail lights, red accents, ramp details, etc. Sure, it's not a copy of a real truck---but it definitely looked more REALISTIC. Even MP-01 and MP-10 have tail-lights in Prime's feet. MP UM----nothing, despite the G1 toy.

MP UM is TOO toon-istic. Alt-mode was "simplified" to match the cartoon model, eliminating many interesting real-world details etc, which is the opposite of how all the other MP's have been (adding in real-world details, from an F-15's gun vent and canopy decking, to Countach quad-pipe exhaust). But MP Magnus's trailer has been "cube-ified" to the point of barely functioning/resembling a car-carrier at all. All in favor of smooth bland nothingness-legs. (that still don't match the toon model that well IMHO).

Even the little white "wings" are gone. (they actually served a purpose in G1). (and they could/should in an MP, as the upper deck is way too high now, and "floats" above the main deck, and doesn't make a workable angle when lowered----the G1 was much more functional/proportioned)

All this UM talk has made me realize something kind of odd; I can't actually picture what UM looks like. By that I mean, when I here names like Grimlock of jazz or astrotrain, I have a very concise picture of what they should look like in my mind, whether that be the cartoon model or the toy, I still have a clear picture of what that character should look like. When I think about UM, all I get is that he's a vague lump of read, white and blue robot.

Edited by anime52k8

I agree with you David, and I think that makes the UM bot mode crappiness even more egregious. They didn't have a real world truck to constrain their design, and they still cut corners and chose a weak path.

For me, I think that's my main issue with MP UM. And it has NOTHING to do with the White Prime/armor debate.

It's the details. Or lack thereof. Like, compared to MP Sideswipe or Prowl. They have tail lights. And turn signals. And windshield wipers. None of those things were in the cartoon---but the real cars have them, so the MP's do. The real-world alt-modes were used as a basis to "enhance" the look.

But MP UM is the opposite. Look at truck mode from the rear. There is nothing there. Just blank unpainted flatness. Because that's the cartoon ultra-simplified look. The toy looked much better there---tail lights, red accents, ramp details, etc. Sure, it's not a copy of a real truck---but it definitely looked more REALISTIC. Even MP-01 and MP-10 have tail-lights in Prime's feet. MP UM----nothing, despite the G1 toy.

MP UM is TOO toon-istic. Alt-mode was "simplified" to match the cartoon model, eliminating many interesting real-world details etc, which is the opposite of how all the other MP's have been (adding in real-world details, from an F-15's gun vent and canopy decking, to Countach quad-pipe exhaust). But MP Magnus's trailer has been "cube-ified" to the point of barely functioning/resembling a car-carrier at all. All in favor of smooth bland nothingness-legs. (that still don't match the toon model that well IMHO).

Even the little white "wings" are gone. (they actually served a purpose in G1). (and they could/should in an MP, as the upper deck is way too high now, and "floats" above the main deck, and doesn't make a workable angle when lowered----the G1 was much more functional/proportioned)

I think they have to do the tail lights etc. on the car Transformers because they are licensed cars and the license holder demand a certain amount of detail on the cars so that they are recognizable. And even then Takara is sloppy with details. For example the painted on tail lights on the pre Bumble cars. On MP-10 and MP-22 the details are very sparse because there are no license holders.

What gets me is that these toys are for nerds and nerds love consistency so why have toys in the Masterpiece line that have different aesthetics? This is also true with the stat card for Ultra Magnus which looks totally different from all other Takara Masterpiece Transformers. I don't get it.

I love consistency above all else and I thought MP Bumble was a sign what is next from the Masterpiece line. Magnus seems like a step back.

To anime52k8 I have a clear image in my mind what Ultra Magnus looks like. It is a less chubby version of MP-22 with shorter but wider pillars on his shoulders.

Guest davidwhangchoi

oh yeeeah mp-10 re-release here we come. im glad the rumor was true waiting on hlj

from tfw2005

From taghobby.com

MP-10 22000jpy

anime-export always does 30% off so that would be 15400jpy at the current approximate rate of 120jpy = $1usd that would be approximately $128. I just had MP Ultra Magnus shipped from them at a cost of $40 so that would make MP-10 from AE approximately $170 shipped. That's $35 less than bbts ($190+$15shipping).

Excellent deal. Other places like amiami, hlj, and nippon-yasan will have similar deals. I did a quick look at robot kingdom for $155 but the shipping that was quoted was $55 for airmail and $80 for ems, which is worse than BBTS.

i'll never buy it at robot kingdom

Edited by davidwhangchoi

Wow. The MP-10 Takara reissue is great news. A better buy than the KO if you like transforming Optimus back and forth between modes, IMO. The leg fix didn't work on my KO because a number of the screws were overtightened and/or stripped beyond being usable. I also don't like the fitment of the MP-10 KO in truck mode. It's a mess.

MP-21G is nice, but I think I'm going to sit this one out. I already have the battle mask for Bumble.

Kinda crazy you'll be able to get Takara Optimus for less than MP-11 Skywarp...

Not crazy if has-asia knows they cant snatch up easy money on opportunistic re-issues!

But yeah I'd say the seeker mould is worth about $80-100 and prime is worth $160-200 easy. Diecast, more complex articulation and transformation. Weird flux of prices.

I might sell my has-asia 30th prime... it's really tight in the joints and basically the Takara version, but I paid too much for it.

I wonder if the mould is starting to degrade any....

Also, new official Starsaberuuuuuu pics!!

27489366d1420726656-takara-mp-24-star-sa

27489368d1420726656-takara-mp-24-star-sa

27489369d1420726656-takara-mp-24-star-sa

Edited by Gakken85

MP-10 reissue up on HLJ

http://www.hlj.com/product/TKT39840/Sci

Oh Yeah!!! Awesome. What timing. Yesterday i was all sad looking at the price increase the HAS-asia reissue in act has already gone up in price. I had one on preorder but my payment didn't go through due to all the ozma madness going on that month. Was seriously bummed about missing my opportunity to get it. Been trying to buy a mp-10 for years.

I'm glad HLJ opened preorders, i was worried where i was going to get this from. BBTS ass-rapes Canadaians on shipping and custom fees. I was going to order from robot kingdom but someone above says they suck (why?). HLJ to the rescue.

Guest davidwhangchoi

i was worried where i was going to get this from. BBTS ass-rapes Canadaians on shipping and custom fees. I was going to order from robot kingdom but someone above says they suck (why?).

just read the shipping quote on the post. unless you want to get ripped off on shipping...

Also, new official Starsaberuuuuuu pics!!

27489368d1420726656-takara-mp-24-star-sa

No lie, I think the brainmaster gimmick is awesome. It just seems more "Transformer" to me than the headmasters and powermasters did, and I'm glad it made it into the MP version.

Basically, the more I see of Space Brick, the more I like him.

Edited by JB0

I might sell my has-asia 30th prime... it's really tight in the joints and basically the Takara version, but I paid too much for it.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. My TT Asia-release MP-10 is in good shape with no major design flaws and excellent paint apps. I have a pre-order in at HLJ that I'm keeping while I weigh the pros and cons.

It seems that each MP-10 release has been getting better and better, and I will keep my pre-order at HLJ if this reissue continues that trend.

Edited by technoblue