The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Isn't MP Bumblebee supposed to have only one side mirror (Left Side)?

D%27oh.gif

I just checked the box art, and it does only have one side mirror. I saw two side mirrors on the runner, and thought it must be one for each side. Sh!t, I hope I didn't do any damage forcing the pin in.

Edited by GU-11

yup only one side mirror is accurate. most cars (in europe and japan) didn't have the passengar side mirror unti the late 70s or so i think. i made the same mistake. i took the extra one off and tried inserting it and quickly realized it was not only not fitting but th wrong orientation (it was meant for the other side....aka an extra for the driver side one). i think proceeded to quickly lose in somehow! lol.

Lesson learned: don't touch a damn thing until you do some research online and know what the heck you're doing. Hah, sounds like the perfect setup for a "what she said" joke!

I transformed BB a couple of times and (knocks on wood) he seems fine, thankfully. There is this small gap in the left car hood, but I think that's just poor QC, like the switched-around forearms. I wonder if I can wrap a cloth around it and lightly hammer it tight with a rubber mallet.

Edited by GU-11

:o Haven't received mine yet. I'm sure if it has that flaw, I'll learn to live with it. I mean, if the choices are that or the mallet.

Good point. I probably should leave well enough alone. Besides, I doubt I'll ever leave him in alt mode, considering how out of scale it is, relative to the other MP alts.

Guest davidwhangchoi

MP Magnus, Forgot to pay for my PO with NY and they had just canceled my PO. Oh well, I'll just wait till the release to order it again.

how much was the pre-order at NY?

Same here.

Just opened Wheeljack. He's definitely a high point in the MP line.

yeah, i hope he's released the yen is still weak against the dollar.

is there any confirmation on the speculation a while back on reprint of mp-10 takara?

Does anyone know if a company mad decals of the Botcon 2011 Stunticon insignia?

This one here:

I look at the Reprolabels site but didn't find anything.

If you send Reprolabels an email they may be able to custom make them for you (probably for a high price).

I'm surprised, and just a little bummed, that Takara haven't so much as teased what the next MP is going to be. My hope would be for Megatron, although I have a feeling that was in the pipeline until they saw Apollyon, at which point they returned to the drawing board. I hate to sell Takara short, but I think Apollyon is going to be a tough act to follow, at least aesthetically. In the meantime, waiting...

At this point, I need a very positive review to convince me to keep my preorder for MP Magnus. Don't like the colors (both the pattern/details and actual hue), trailer doesn't look good to me (I rank vehicle-mode appearance and functionality VERY high for Magnus), and robot mode looks awful from sides and rear. And of course--butt flap, visible from every angle.

(and I'm a huge G1 Magnus fan----really, a slightly tweaked KFC one would be just about perfect, but it's got a couple of deal-killers as-is. But overall, I like it more than Takara's I think)

And of course---so many of the Takra's issues, seem like they could have been fixed with having just a few more panels/hinges to flip around/reposition/hide/compress things. But likely "that would have increased the parts/cost by 10%, and wasn't in the budget". :(

They can paint it all they want to try to hide it, but his shins don't touch his knees, and I'm STILL curious as to why there's that gap there, considering they're on hinges and pivot at the base. (seeing as how they're also the ramps to the trailer)

Which makes me wonder if they even listen to consumer feedback on their prototypes.

MP-03, early proto vs final. 'nuff said.

::edit:: Just cancelled my MP UM preorder at HLJ. Also noticed somehow I had forgotten to order a 0D, so rectified that. 0D may cost a lot more, but I also think I'll enjoy it a lot more.

Somehow I feel like MP Ultra Magnus is MP-05 all over again. From an interview we know that Kobayashi Yuki had little time to design Megatron (I think it was something like 12 days). The toy turned out to be not very good. Now with Ultra Magnus they stated again that Kobayashi had to take over because Hasui couldn't do a MP-10 with armor in budget/time so Kobayashi had to take over and design an all in one transformation. I assume the deadline for MP-22 wasn't extended so to me it seems like an overhasty design job.

And to be honest the toy looks the part. There are questionable design choices all over the toy where they could have came up with more intricate solutions that work and look better. Granted no one has the toy in hand so this might change once it's released but I fear for an MP-05 debacle all over again.

This comes from a huge Ultra Magnus fan.

Edited by Scyla

Hisashi Yuki designed MP-5 Megatron. Star Saber will be his second MP.

MP Ultra Magnus folds up the way he does because that's how he transforms in the cartoon.

Thanks I corrected that.

I actually don't have a problem with the transformation itself. I love how it transforms especially since Ultra Magnus never was a white Prime with trailer armor.

However I feel that the toy as a whole is not very refined. Like it needed one or two more passes over the design.

While the transformation is cool stuff like the butt flap or the gaps in the shins (with the strange tree color paint job) look like the could be easily done better. Why not have a panel like on Labors lower legs in the shins to hide the gap somewhat or a piece that slides forward from the lower leg to close the gap like on the elbow joints of Maketoys Utopia. Or have a sliding joint and hinges in the butt flap to collapse the whole thing on itself?

That are some solutions I came up with geeking out over a toy so I assume toy designers could come up with a much better solution.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there was a deadline until the toy had to be finished and they need a new idea because Hasui couldn't design a prime with armor. The result is lacking.

At least that is the theory I came up with lying in bed this morning thinking about Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. ^_^

Jenius is right, it is very hard to get a toy right the first time. However I think Takara did a great job with MP-10 onwards (minus MP-11) and now I'm spoiled with my Masterpiece toys. Plus Star Saber looks awesome. All my issues stem the stuff like paint issues, etc. where the designer have no control over.

I still like the toy because it will be the best Ultra Magnus collectors toy will ever get and I doubt Takara will give it a second attempt. Maybe an independent toy manufacturer can come up with an add-on set to fix the issues.