The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

At this point, I need a very positive review to convince me to keep my preorder for MP Magnus. Don't like the colors (both the pattern/details and actual hue), trailer doesn't look good to me (I rank vehicle-mode appearance and functionality VERY high for Magnus), and robot mode looks awful from sides and rear. And of course--butt flap, visible from every angle.

(and I'm a huge G1 Magnus fan----really, a slightly tweaked KFC one would be just about perfect, but it's got a couple of deal-killers as-is. But overall, I like it more than Takara's I think)

And of course---so many of the Takra's issues, seem like they could have been fixed with having just a few more panels/hinges to flip around/reposition/hide/compress things. But likely "that would have increased the parts/cost by 10%, and wasn't in the budget". :(

They can paint it all they want to try to hide it, but his shins don't touch his knees, and I'm STILL curious as to why there's that gap there, considering they're on hinges and pivot at the base. (seeing as how they're also the ramps to the trailer)

Those lower leg panels and the offending butt flap are what made me give up my preorder. I was really hoping those eyesores would be fixed as the final release date got closer, but no such luck. The way he is now, I could definitely omit him from my lineup. If ever TakaTomy decides to redo him ala Starscream and Prime, I'll probably get him then.

Strange. The release date for Japan and Asia still appears to be Dec 27.

Perhaps HLJ is planning to ship in early January, since this release falls close to the New Year holiday? Whatever the case, if I can ship Ultra Magnus together with the Arcadia I have waiting, then I shouldn't be too fussed about an extra week compared to other sites.

Robotkingdom's transformation pictures really seal the deal for me. I know I was one of the original detractors of MP-22, vocally criticizing the size of it and the decision to steer away from MP-10 in armor, but I love the final result---and there's no denying that he is a true heavyweight at 975g. Even with this, though, MP-22 looks more like Magnus to me than Citizen Stack or even the G1 toy. The other complaints I've read may be valid to some and I hope reviews add some perspective here, but they were not a high priority for me. I'm excited to see this one in person. :)

I'm still on the fence with the lack of painted details. I know it is accurate to the cartoon for Magnus not having tail lights but the huge areas of single color painted plastic looks distracting.

Why can't all collector toys from Takara have the amount of detail and finish like the Alternity cars? :(

Edited by Scyla

I don't know... I think UM always looked blocky in the cartoon as well as the G1 toy. I used to have the G1 UM and this really reminds me of him. I am not a fan of Citizen Stack anyway....[with that said i don't own any of the third party interpretations :( ]

Can they improve it, yeah i think they could, but as it is, i like it. I hate the red bumper BTW.

Edited by vlenhoff

Happy to hear it's got a lot of diecast. And as a detractor, I must say this video makes him look better than any of the promo pictures I've seen.

The Arm proportions and stacks still bug me, but the overall bulk seems to set it off well.

Nice to see the ankle articulation too... though it lacks a waist.

The Buttflap is still amazingly lazy.

Edited by Gakken85

That vid does make Magnus look a lot thinner too. I hope NY doesn't jackup too much after the release date, cause I still need to order this guy. My preorder with NY got canceled. Either way, fat or skinner, I still love Magnus

After three weeks, MP Bee finally arrived, on a Sunday. I was starting to panic, cause my orders usually arrived in two weeks or less. I must say, the paints are pretty good, except for the autobot insignia on his chest. Take a look at the pic with the white arrow, it apprears the autobot insignia had just suck someone's blood! :p

Daniel's arm cannot be pointed downward, and it keep popping off during transformation, but he got die-cast on his chest.

post-7962-0-75577800-1419279482_thumb.jpg

post-7962-0-30454700-1419279504_thumb.jpg

Daniel's arm cannot be pointed downward, and it keep popping off during transformation, but he got die-cast on his chest.

Daniel? I though Bumblebee comes with Spike.

Wow. That was a fantastic review of Ultra Magnus.

And I see now that Daniel got Carly's hips. :p

He looks like he got MP-10 Spike's hips with a skinnier upper body (for whatever reason). Edited by RD Blade

Great review of Ultra Magnus. Really glad I kept my preorder. Nice to see him alongside citizen stack for comparison.

I hope we get more of the minibots in the near future. I want cliffjumper as the next mini!

Guest davidwhangchoi

That nice david. Is it a repro?

I still have my original and all the electronics work. missing the tiny yellow leg triangle though.

Yeah, i was about to reply but RD blade beat me to it. it's labeled under Takara's Encore(reissue) series. it's actually the first time ever released in japan. even though Encore is a reissue of G1's this was never released under the transformers brand over there.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Omega_Supreme_%28G1%29

i always wanted him but couldn't afford him as a kid. my dad said only one big toy for christmas so i chose the devastator (G1) giftset that was out then. by the time next christmas rolled around, he was gone... freakin movie killed off prime and the good toys (omega was still alive in season 3 but his toy was sold out). imagine if they killed off pikachu and all the first gen pokemon in the pokemon movie. i thought that was dumb by hasbro.

Yup, it's a reissue. I forgot Omega was part of the Encore line. Nice grab, David.

thanks RD!

Edited by davidwhangchoi

freakin movie killed off prime and the good toys. imagine if they killed off pikachu and all the first gen pokemon in the pokemon movie. i thought that was dumb by hasbro.

They learned that lesson well. By underestimating how endearing to kids the Marvel and Sunbow writers had made the characters, Hasbro clearly thought of them as interchangeable and/or expendable. Now they release multiple molds for the same characters rather than kill them off in favor of new ones. Even Prime Cliffjumper (who died in the first episode) got three molds in that line. Bets are seriously covered now.