The GX-64 won't have any weathering, which in my opinion is a plus. Also, it's 100% accurate to the anime since it uses their CGI files. The aircraft are in scale with the GX-64 version, unlike the GX-57 which in my opinion had the aircraft a little too big of a scale to be in scale with that Yamato.

This is just my opinion, but I think the Yamato 2199 design is a better overall sculpt than the GX-57 which was much better in my opinion than the BPX-01. Not to mention that you'll be able to get the GX-64 for much less than the over inflated Ebay prices for the GX-57.

-Kyp

Ok, so let me get this straight. The 'BPX was the original release, the '57 was the reissue of the 'BPX, and the '64 is the '2199 model, correct?

Apparently, the GX-64 Yamato will also be released here in the U.S. under the "Starblazers" moniker :

I honestly didn't do anything but immediately pre-order, but now after reading the description, I've got some questions. Is this thing gonna say "Argo" anywhere on the ship itself? If it does, then that's an insta-cancel.

^^Good question. The photographs of the ship look clean and anime accurate to me. I found some larger images of the Yamato version here: http://robotjapan.proboards.com/thread/21518

I would be surprised if Bandai adds ship markings just for the U.S. release. They may print the "Argo/Starblazers" names on the box or they may put the names on the stand, but the ship?

In other news, all the usual import stores have finished taking pre-orders on the Yamato version. I guess that limits the options now?

Quick question, for someone looking to upgrade from their beloved BPX-01, what's the difference between the GX-57 and the GX-64?

And I would be soooo down for an in-scale version of the dimensional "submarine" that stalks the Yamato.

Here's my comparison...

Edited by UN Spacy

I honestly didn't do anything but immediately pre-order, but now after reading the description, I've got some questions. Is this thing gonna say "Argo" anywhere on the ship itself? If it does, then that's an insta-cancel.

No, it won't say that on the ship itself, it never did in the original series, and I see no reason why it would now. I AM hoping that it will have the name on the stand itself, that will be a first, and will differentiate it from the Japan version, which is the main reason I got this one too.

^^Good question. The photographs of the ship look clean and anime accurate to me. I found some larger images of the Yamato version here: http://robotjapan.proboards.com/thread/21518

I would be surprised if Bandai adds ship markings just for the U.S. release. They may print the "Argo/Starblazers" names on the box or they may put the names on the stand, but the ship?

In other news, all the usual import stores have finished taking pre-orders on the Yamato version. I guess that limits the options now?

I'm not surprised, with the popularity of the reboot series, this thing was guaranteed to sell out and will be VERY sought after, even more so than the previous versions. And rightfully so, who wouldn't want a 100% anime accurate version? :p

But, I have a feeling that the Starblazers version will end up being worth more since this will be the first time ever that something like this is being marketed strictly for the U.S., and may be in more limited numbers than it's Japanese counter part. At least, that was my reasoning when I preordered from BBTS. ;) Well, that, and my OCD... :lol:

*EDIT* NY still has it's preorder up.

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

This has been discussed before. International buyers will require a proxy like Cats Hand or IPJ

and it does not harm to continue to remind that process to those on the fence about such purchases. Ive never purchased anything overseas so some insight and lessons are always appreciated in the community at large, mate.

Most of the stuff i've gotten from these japan only stores has been bought through PIJ. 2 ways of buying; Yahoo auctions, where they bid on your behalf, or store purchase. The downside is you have to pay a comission (normally 20%) and the shipping from the seller to PIJ and then from PIJ to you. Despite all these fees, you get your stuff and i have no complaints so far. Feel free to explore

http://www.private-import-japan.com/index.php?query=%E3%83%A4%E3%83%9E%E3%83%88+2199&store=0&item_status=0&aucminprice=&aucmaxprice=&category=0&keyregist=&sort=end&order=d

There are other services , like Buyee, which is available at the Yahoo auction site and has only a 10% comission. I have subscribed it but haven't yet used it.

http://buyee.jp/item/search?query=%E3%83%A4%E3%83%9E%E3%83%882199

These 2 links are set for "ヤマト 2199" search. You can use "Yamato 2199" but using the japanese text gets you more hits.

Edited by westfall

Having seen the finale, i can say, without a sliver of doubt in my mind, that Episode 26 is trully the ending such an amazing séries deserves. When You have a nearly 39 year old man crying like a baby while watching an anime, that means they did something right.

This nearly 39 year old man started crying like a baby when Yuki first walked on the scene..