If you've seen episodes 19 and 20 you know each carrier had a type of fighter. That's what's coming here. The first carrier to come out is the Lambea (purple) which carried the DMB87 Precision Bomber

gamirasu_air06.jpg

Hadn't noticed it while watching, but damned if someone didn't manage to turn the Chance Vought F4U Corsair into a futuristic plane.

Personally, I think it is more of a nod to the German Stuka dive bomber. Especially, since most of the Garmila Military design is German inspired/influenced.

Chris

Yeah, and I think the serial numbers are giveaway clues too:

DWG227 -> Ho 227

DDG110 -> Bf 110

DWG262 -> Me 262

DWG109 -> Bf 109

DMB87 "Snooka"-> Ju 87 "Stuka"

DBG88 -> Ju 88

Can't place the FWG97 torpedo bomber though...

Volume 7 has shipped. :)

Gotta wait a few more days for mine, getting the GAMILLAS book due end of the month too ;)

DWG227 -> Ho 227

DDG110 -> Bf 110

DWG262 -> Me 262

DWG109 -> Bf 109

DMB87 "Snooka"-> Ju 87 "Stuka"

DBG88 -> Ju 88

Can't place the FWG97 torpedo bomber though...

Type 99 Space Fighter Attack Craft Cosmo Falcon →Navy Type 99 Carrier Bomber Model 11
Type 0 Model 52 Space Carrier Fighter Cosmo Zero →Navy Type 0 Carrier Fighter Model 52

...And thus ends the voyage .... Until the movie drops next year.

I sure hope the movie, if there is one (guaranteed to happen, I know), will not be the end of the Yamato remake journey; Voyage to Iscandar may be over, but there is still Comet Empire and Bolar Wars that I'd like to see come to fruition.

FInally was able to see the last episodes (Thanks FedEx) and boy, what an amazing series and great retelling this has been. Please spread the word and when it starts coming out in the West spread the word so that more people can see this wonderful show.

Manly tear moments

The death of the Captain and Kodai's breakdown when he's carrying Yuki's body. Wow. But the most moving one was when Mamoru Kodai's message was played on the PA system of the Yamato.

4 things.

The only small detail I would have liked to see done differently is for the battle for Garmilas to have lasted more than an episode. It felt rather short to be honest.

Have the Iscandrians all died out and the 2 sisters are all that\s left of them?

Did I misunderstand something or is it implied that Starsha Iscandar is pregnant with Mamoru Kodai's child?

And speaking of impregnation, I do hope that Kato is court martialed when he arrives on Earth for knocking up everyone's favorite busty nurse. And no, marrying her doesn't excuse that level of co-fraternization when on a mission!

I think they were leaving the possibility open for

The New Voyage, & Be Forever Yamato. The one thing I miss from the original is the "Victory taste's like ashes" speech, while looking down over the ruins of Gamilus. Obviously it wouldn't work with this version of events, but was still missed.

Now hurry up with the ssequel so I can see a beautiful new update of the Andromeda.

I think they were leaving the possibility open for

The New Voyage, & Be Forever Yamato. The one thing I miss from the original is the "Victory taste's like ashes" speech, while looking down over the ruins of Gamilus. Obviously it wouldn't work with this version of events, but was still missed.

Now hurry up with the ssequel so I can see a beautiful new update of the Andromeda.

This!

AGREED..

Some thoughts on 'ep 24:

1. Starsha's obviously blond, but is she really that dumb? How the hell else did she expect the people of Earth to reach her without abusing her 'tech when the war-mongering Gamilans that she knows on a personal level are standing in the way?

2. KIlling off Mamoru was a bad decision, IMO. I think seeing the Kodai brothers reunited and then shockingly see him choose to stay with Starsha on Iscandar (as in the original series) would have been far more dramatic than just having him die from alien experimentation. I gotta' hand it to him though: being able to knock up an interstellar hottie right before you die is literally "going where no man has gone before..."

3. Melda and Akira swimming together. I just kept thinking "hug, kiss, hold hands, scissor, please do SOMETHING."

4. Why is the Yamato flying around with a giant butt-plug in its majestic nose? Doing so ruined a very poignant and memorable scene: lifting off of serene and beautiful Iscandar for its voyage home. If that was Starsha's idea well....I have an idea where she can put that plug...

Edited by myk

AGREED..

Some thoughts on 'ep 24:

1. Starsha's obviously blond, but is she really that dumb? How the hell else did she expect the people of Earth to reach her without abusing her 'tech when the war-mongering Gamilans that she knows on a personal level are standing in the way?

2. KIlling off Mamoru was a bad decision, IMO. I think seeing the Kodai brothers reunited and then shockingly see him choose to stay with Starsha on Iscandar (as in the original series) would have been far more dramatic than just having him die from alien experimentation. I gotta' hand it to him though: being able to knock up an interstellar hottie right before you die is literally "going where no man has gone before..."

3. Melda and Akira swimming together. I just kept thinking "hug, kiss, hold hands, scissor, please do SOMETHING."

4. Why is the Yamato flying around with a giant butt-plug in its majestic nose? Doing so ruined a very poignant and memorable scene: lifting off of serene and beautiful Iscandar for its voyage home. If that was Starsha's idea well....I have an idea where she can put that plug...

Wholeheartedly agree with your points, specially no.3 and 4!

I havent seen the original in so many years that I forgot that Mamoru had survived. But damnnnn those Kodai brother have the looks and manly appeal. Mamoru (Nimi and Starsha) and Kodai could have had his pick between Yuki, Akira and arguably Melda too.

So, whose inbox do I have to bombard demanding those sequels??!!

And speaking of impregnation, I do hope that Kato is court martialed when he arrives on Earth for knocking up everyone's favorite busty nurse. And no, marrying her doesn't excuse that level of co-fraternization when on a mission!

We don't know what the Cosmo Navy's rules are for inter-service fraternization. Fans of the Honor Harrington series will know that the Royal Manticoran Navy allows for fraternization, providing the parties involved are not part of the same chain of command. I don't think Kato and Harada are part of the same chain of command.

AGREED..

Some thoughts on 'ep 24:

I agree with all points, 100%. As for point #4 : I watched it without subs, but from what I was able to gather from facial expressions and verbal context, it would seem that it was her condition for giving them the tech needed for saving Earth. They had to dismantle and make the Wave Motion Gun inoperable and basically swear not to use that tech again. Which if they do continue the series, I'd be willing to bet that that promise will end up being null and void due to the EDF already having reversed engineered said tech to build Andromeda... ;)

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

I agree with all points, 100%. As for point #4 : I watched it without subs, but from what I was able to gather from facial expressions and verbal context, it would seem that it was her condition for giving them the tech needed for saving Earth. They had to dismantle and make the Wave Motion Gun inoperable and basically swear not to use that tech again. Which if they do continue the series, I'd be willing to bet that that promise will end up being null and void due to the EDF already having reversed engineered said tech to build Andromeda... ;)

-Kyp

True, but who's to say tha they wouldn't need the gun on the way back? I'm almost certain they used it once more on the way home in the original series...

Phew! Just finished watching the last two episodes and I have to say that I'm literally blown away-what an awesome way to end one of the greatest reboots of all time, be it animated, live action or whatever. The story was very moving and emotional towards the end, but not in a Return of the Jedi sort of way where everything's forcefully mushy and overly-sentimental. I DO HAVE one MAJOR problem with the way they handled Desslar though. You see, in the original series...

One of the great lessons the writers tried to convey to the viewers is that no matter what side you're on, Terran or Gamilan, Allied, or Axis, or whatever conflict you may find yourself on; you may find that although you and your enemy are sworn to destroy one another, you find that the two of you-your people, are not so different from one another and are probably fighting for the same reasons. What I truly loved about the original series resolution of the Desslar character is just that: he had Kodai and Yuki dead to rights after he ambushed and boarded the Yamato and could have murdered them, but he suddenly realized that they were no different than he or his people. He suddenly felt a deep sense of respect and admiration for his opponent; an opponent that defied all odds to save themselves, much like he would have done if he were in their position. Ultimately, he wishes them well (I think he tells them to take care of one another), spares their lives and lets them go in peace.

In the 2199 resolution, Desslar is introduced as a genocidal megalomaniac, and for all intents and purposes he dies that way, with no lesson learned whatsoever. IMO this is a tragic waste of an incredible opportunity for a major character epiphany. Truly sad.

Also, the whole wave-gun butt-plug is just bugging the hell out of me. I get the whole "Yamato has evolved into a machine of peace" thing the writers are shoving down our throats, but I still don't like it.

I love the bit of comedy that Shima utters when he sees Yuki: "Well, I guess this stuff does happen..." LOL!

I enjoyed the irony that saw Wave Motion 'tech being silenced and the final conflict between Desslar and the Cosmo Navy being settled with "barbaric" cannon shells.

If you didn't absolutely love these last two episodes along with the rest of the series and possibly shed a few tears watching it, then you're just a freaking stone, IMO. Even if they don't do a second series, I can seek comfort knowing that this version of the Quest for Iscandar story raised the bar for the franchise, much like Nolan and Bale did for Batman.

BE FOREVER YAMATO!

Edited by myk

i'm probably going to get lynched for saying this, but i think the live action movie had a more impactful ending than 2199.

i can't put my finger on it, maybe it was the director or maybe it was the screenplay, but the last episode just felt a bit anticlimactic in some ways. there was a lot of emotional moments for sure, but there was no more struggle, no more tension, no more fighting against their fates, just the drama of coping with it. the important characters no longer had a say on whether their ending would be a a tragedy or whether they could still could do something, a sacrifice if necessary, to fight for their happy ever after.

the one character who still had a say on things was Mamoru. i think his "sacrifice" was severely underplayed. he was shown as almost being nonchalant about saving Yuki, like he didn't stand to lose anything or that he might be endangering the final payoff of the Yamato mission. they could've shown him to at least have some longing left for Niimi instead of just popping up randomly like a playful ghost, or at least he could've been shown deliberating on whether he can save Yuki and not compromise the mission against the risk that he will fail on both. heck, he could've even appeared to Susumu in a dream and asked him "Would you give up the earth for Yuki?". anything at all just to give some "weight" to the sacrifice Mamoru was contemplating. instead he goes like "oh, so want your girlfriend back. no problem little brother." then winks at the audience "don't worry, Okita is the backup." one would think the scriptwriters could have at least kept Mamoru from verbalizing his plan there and then, and thereby have some tension/uncertainty until Okita's "moment".

Edited by Major Focker

i didn't say that i agreed with how they ended the movie, just stating that it was written to sustain the tension through to the end and have a climactic punchline.

indeed 2199 ended as it should, but how they meandered through the last episode could've been done better -- even without any additional body count.

Edited by Major Focker

i'm probably going to get lynched for saying this, but i think the live action movie had a more impactful ending than 2199.

i can't put my finger on it, maybe it was the director or maybe it was the screenplay, but the last episode just felt a bit anticlimactic in some ways. there was a lot of emotional moments for sure, but there was no more struggle, no more tension, no more fighting against their fates, just the drama of coping with it. the important characters no longer had a say on whether their ending would be a a tragedy or whether they could still could do something, a sacrifice if necessary, to fight for their happy ever after.

the one character who still had a say on things was Mamoru. i think his "sacrifice" was severely underplayed. he was shown as almost being nonchalant about saving Yuki, like he didn't stand to lose anything or that he might be endangering the final payoff of the Yamato mission. they could've shown him to at least have some longing left for Niimi instead of just popping up randomly like a playful ghost, or at least he could've been shown deliberating on whether he can save Yuki and not compromise the mission against the risk that he will fail on both. heck, he could've even appeared to Susumu in a dream and asked him "Would you give up the earth for Yuki?". anything at all just to give some "weight" to the sacrifice Mamoru was contemplating. instead he goes like "oh, so want your girlfriend back. no problem little brother." then winks at the audience "don't worry, Okita is the backup." one would think the scriptwriters could have at least kept Mamoru from verbalizing his plan there and then, and thereby have some tension/uncertainty until Okita's "moment".

I see what you're saying and I do agree that...

Mamoru's part in the finale seemed rushed and almost an afterthought. As a disembodied consciousness, I don't see why Mamoru would be inclined to help his brother out in that particular way, but...whatever.

Again I would agree that the final two episodes felt a little bit rushed, and there are some loose ends that I feel they didn't handle appropriately, but I can't seem to recall off-hand any story finale's that didn't feel anti-climactic, so I'll take it...

As for the live action movie, I'd like to check out this seemingly contraversial ending but in all honesty I couldn't bring myself to get halfway throught it...

Edited by myk

Phew! Just finished watching the last two episodes and I have to say that I'm literally blown away-what an awesome way to end one of the greatest reboots of all time, be it animated, live action or whatever. The story was very moving and emotional towards the end, but not in a Return of the Jedi sort of way where everything's forcefully mushy and overly-sentimental. I DO HAVE one MAJOR problem with the way they handled Desslar though. You see, in the original series...

One of the great lessons the writers tried to convey to the viewers is that no matter what side you're on, Terran or Gamilan, Allied, or Axis, or whatever conflict you may find yourself on; you may find that although you and your enemy are sworn to destroy one another, you find that the two of you-your people, are not so different from one another and are probably fighting for the same reasons. What I truly loved about the original series resolution of the Desslar character is just that: he had Kodai and Yuki dead to rights after he ambushed and boarded the Yamato and could have murdered them, but he suddenly realized that they were no different than he or his people. He suddenly felt a deep sense of respect and admiration for his opponent; an opponent that defied all odds to save themselves, much like he would have done if he were in their position. Ultimately, he wishes them well (I think he tells them to take care of one another), spares their lives and lets them go in peace.

Actually,

this doesn't happen until just before the end of Yamato 2 when Kodai confronts Desslar aboard Desslar's own ship. It's when Yuki rushes to Kodai's side after he passes out from his earlier injuries that Desslar realizes that Terrans and Gamilas are similar. It's then when Desslar decides to abandon his quest for revenge against the Yamato and leaves the two, but not before revealing Gatlantis' weak spot.

Actually,

this doesn't happen until just before the end of Yamato 2 when Kodai confronts Desslar aboard Desslar's own ship. It's when Yuki rushes to Kodai's side after he passes out from his earlier injuries that Desslar realizes that Terrans and Gamilas are similar. It's then when Desslar decides to abandon his quest for revenge against the Yamato and leaves the two, but not before revealing Gatlantis' weak spot.

Lol, oops-NVM me then!

I should be done with the final two episode by this weekend. :)

On a related note Megahouse Yuria Misaki should be shipping soon. I might pass on nurse figure though...I'm more interested in Melda and Nimi.

HLJ finally has the Garmilas Earth Materials Book for preorder.

http://www.hlj.com/product/MAG00193/Boo

Plus the Banpresto 1/12 scale Yuki and Yamamoto.

http://www.hlj.com/product/BNP48765-A/Fig

http://www.hlj.com/product/BNP48765-B/Fig

Thanks for the heads up. Just got to watch the final episodes last night. What a fantastic series this was!

Chris

My comparison is with the original animated series, but I agree with all these points. Although there is a lot to like in 2199, the impact is not as strong. Maybe that is the nostalgia talking? Maybe there were too many changes? I don't know. I cannot put my finger on it, whatever it is.

I did miss seeing both Kodia brothers reunited at the end, even momentarily. 2199 would not have lost anything to keep that part of the story in. I'm kind of curious about that change. And I may be wrong, because I haven't seen the original series in a year or so, but Okita's final scenes on the Yamato (before he goes Deus Ex Machina) seem completely unchanged. That was one of my top five emotional scenes, old and new.

I don't know what to think about the final events on Gamilus. On the one hand, having the Yamato defend the planet was a pretty cool change. On the other hand, it seems the characters were acting too restrained for two cultures at war with each other. Of course, I'm not well versed in this sort of thing... It just seemed like everything about Gamilus in the original series was more extreme, even the defense of it which lead to the Yamato having to touch down in the acidic oceans. I also wanted to see more done with the rebel faction in 2199.