New Star Trek series in the works?

I don't really care for the nacelles on the redesign Enterprise. And I'd move the neck forward.

I really love the nacelles, has that art deco style that really works for me. I completely agree with the neck position though. I feel like they were trying too hard to reference nautical ships by making the prow so prominent.

I was actually surprised with how much I liked the redesign. If I had to chang one thing, it'd be to angle the pylons back a bit more, and lower the saucer a bit to match.

I'd move the engineering hull back, in relation to every other part of the ship. That would help get the nacelle struts out of the shuttlebay, too.

I did hear a while back about a new ST series called Federation. But I also heard it didn't get off the ground so to speak...

It was set during the decline of a jaded and corrupt United Federation of Planets.

Linky

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Federation

Interesting.

Not exactly the direction I would've foreseen the franchise going. BUT, it has some definite pluses: builds on existing canon with actual, genuine progress/change, and plenty of sources of drama.

Interesting.

Not exactly the direction I would've foreseen the franchise going. BUT, it has some definite pluses: builds on existing canon with actual, genuine progress/change, and plenty of sources of drama.

Ha, I want to see the series that bridges the gap between the "white knight" Federation with the evil and corrupt Federation of Blake's 7. That would be cool. Not gonna happen though......

The 2009 Movie Enterprise is the only good looking ship design to come out of Star trek in 25 years. Everything else from TNG and onward has been absolute crap.

Did you just call the Akira class absolute crap?

BLASPHEMY!!! :angry:

The 2009 Movie Enterprise is the only good looking ship design to come out of Star trek in 25 years. Everything else from TNG and onward has been absolute crap.

*Horrible image removed* :p

I'll have to agree to disagree with you there. Until that atrocity reared it's ugly head, the Galaxy class Enterprise was my least favorite design by far.

-Kyp

I enjoy 99% of the ship designs for the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans in Star Trek. I'm just not a fan of the nacelles on Abram's Enterprise, and I don't care for most of the original Cryptic designs, the exceptions being the Excalibur and Cerberus classes. I suppose a lot of that has to do with Cryptic taking pre-existing ships and then... modifying them into other classes, so as to keep the parts interchangeable for customization.

I still frown at the Abrams Enterprise, especially the scale enhancement to engineering and the shuttle bay. Just doesn't make any sense but those nacelles just don't fit the movie-esque saucer one bit.

I enjoy 99% of the ship designs for the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans in Star Trek. I'm just not a fan of the nacelles on Abram's Enterprise, and I don't care for most of the original Cryptic designs, the exceptions being the Excalibur and Cerberus classes. I suppose a lot of that has to do with Cryptic taking pre-existing ships and then... modifying them into other classes, so as to keep the parts interchangeable for customization.

Speaking of video game mish-mashes. Did anyone else play the ancient DOS Star Trek 25th Anniversary PC game? One of the enemy ships in that was literally an upsidedown mixed up Klingon Battle Cruiser.

Personally I'd love to see something along the lines of kelly's heroes/captain tylor(just way toned down) set in the TNG era featuring an old run down Miranda class ship crewed by the federations screw ups, odd balls, and former prisoners thats all but forgotten by the fleet and left to their own devices.

Think of the character possibilites

The captain of the ship could be a scape goat that took the blame for a disaster someone else caused.

The first officer is an alcholholic survivor of wolf 359

Chief of security is a gun nut andorran that deals weapons on the side and is prone to asking orders to set to kill

Chief medical officer is a former drug addict

Chief of engineering a workaholic obsessed with suping up the ship like a personal hotrod and constantly tinkering with it illegaling installing a cloak

Lounge officer an Orion girl with more tactical sense than the rest of the ship but would rather be the den mother of the ship

I'd buy into that :)

Speaking of video game mish-mashes. Did anyone else play the ancient DOS Star Trek 25th Anniversary PC game? One of the enemy ships in that was literally an upsidedown mixed up Klingon Battle Cruiser.

Sorry, Keith. The first Star Trek game I'd played was Starfleet Command 3.

Nothing wrong with that, the Reliant was nothing more then the enterprise with the bottom section removed, and a roll bar added to the bottom, Roddenbury signed off on it upside down and voila, the Reliant we all know and love.

It wouldn't be so bad if there were a bigger spectrum of ships in the ST universe, and things like the Miranda & Akira class varients make enough sense. But when you start just randomly mixing even more generic designs, things enter the stupid realm

Sidenote, I never knew they released a CD version with recorded dialogue. The game was fun in a really basic wing commander kind of way, especially if you turned up the brightness on the screen to see any cloaked ships, why didn't they ever think of that in the show/movies? :)

Data was the captain of the F in the (official)prequel comic for the new movie. The game follows everything set up in in the movie and the comic. Unless there's somewhere where CBS/Paramount or some other controlling source says it's not, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet unless they retcon both new movies, the "present" universe that spawned, the comics and the game, it's canon.

Star Trek has never been the convoluted licensing/creative battle that Star Wars has.

Likening Voyager to the Galactica doesn't really work in the nitty gritty aspect. They had replicators allowing them to make all the materials needed for repairs given they had the raw energy/materials. They had access to all kinds of alien races to get supplies from too. BSG had "real world" situations and applications where Star Trek has movie magic.

Data was the captain of the F in the (official)prequel comic for the new movie. The game follows everything set up in in the movie and the comic. Unless there's somewhere where CBS/Paramount or some other controlling source says it's not, I'd say it's a pretty safe bet unless they retcon both new movies, the "present" universe that spawned, the comics and the game, it's canon.

The "official" prequel comics are considered non-canon, soft at best. Movies, TV shows and apparently the animated TOS series are the only true canon sources in Trek. Just because Paramount licenses out Trek to 3rd parties, doesn't make what said parties produce, canon.

Edit: Also the comic have Worf mortally wounded and presumed on his way to dead. Worf in game makes no mention of the comics. About the only connection between game and comics is that Data is Captain of the Ent-E.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

You've never seen the Luna class then...this is Riker's first command.

post-2668-0-15936900-1315414009_thumb.jpg

post-2668-0-64868100-1315414793_thumb.jpg

You've never seen the Luna class then...this is Riker's first command.

I don't like the way it tapers down in the back, it's as if something's missing. Also, I Don't like the blisters on the top of the saucer (that's part of what I dislike about the akira class).

Then there's fact that every surface has too much going on. That's the main reason i dislike everything from TNG onwards; it's as if the designers suddenly became terrified of having any uninterrupted flat surfaces. Every inch of hull needs to be covered in phaser strips and hatches and windows.

Edited by anime52k8

I hate to be the champion of canon (again), but there is no canon evidence of that being the class of the Titan. Non-canon sources conflict on what class the ship is, with one source even stating it was a Prometheus class.

And I personally think that design is hideous.

I like most canon designs. I think the Sovereign and Akira are awesome ships. But I love old-school Miranda and Constitution class designs too. For the most part I think canon Star Trek has some of the best sci-fi designs anywhere. Half the reason I became so enamored with Trek as a kid was because of the ships.

It is fan made. But according to Memory Alpha the contest was put on by Pocket Books, the company publishing novels based around Riker's command of the Titan. It doesn't say how much Paramount was involved, if at all. The thing was only used for the cover and may have had some descriptions thrown into the book.

It is fan made. But according to Memory Alpha the contest was put on by Pocket Books, the company publishing novels based around Riker's command of the Titan. It doesn't say how much Paramount was involved, if at all. The thing was only used for the cover and may have had some descriptions thrown into the book.

Guess its up in the air on whats canon and whats not until its on the big or little screen.

Guess its up in the air on whats canon and whats not until its on the big or little screen.

So true, it's why I choose to just stick to the movies and shows for Trek for my thoughts on canon. I really do enjoy Trek in other formats though.

On a personal note, I find it more irritating when non-canon sources (or at least debatable sources) use canon characters. For example, Captain Picard goes to the McDonalds planet to try an Earl Grey/Sweet Tea hybrid. If they would have just made it: Some dude goes to the McDonalds planet to try an Earl Grey/Sweet Tea hybrid in a federation starship, it would bother me far less.

On a personal note, I find it more irritating when non-canon sources (or at least debatable sources) use canon characters.

At least for the novels, it used to be that it was required to have a regular character in the novel (I have not read or kept up with ST novels in decades, things might certainly have changed...)

The best example I can think of is the novel that focused on Klingons, the writer had to book-end it with a section about how it was a book being read by the crew of the Enterprise - just so that it had a tenous connection to them. (The novel was used as a basis for the Klingons in FASA's Role Playing game)

the fail for VOY was consistantcy. The ship, crew, the interiors never suffered from lack of proper repair...

But, they could replicate just about anything right? Gawd, been so long since I watched any Trek....

The only thing they couldn't replicate....was a good show!

Ta-dum-tissssshh!

That was a terrible show. I didn't make it past a few episodes in the first season. Please tell me it was on for only 1 season? No? It was on for SIX WHOLE SEASONS? No wonder Star Trek had been driven into the dirt.

Ta-dum-tissssshh!

That was a terrible show. I didn't make it past a few episodes in the first season. Please tell me it was on for only 1 season? No? It was on for SIX WHOLE SEASONS? No wonder Star Trek had been driven into the dirt.

Not six. Seven. Voyager dragged on for seven seasons.