New Star Trek series in the works?

If it

a) continues where we left of in 24th century

b) time jumps further in to the future

c) is completely new and detached from what we have come to see, but still retains those Roddenberry values that define star trek

then I'll be really excited.

But should it turn out to be

a) some type of prequel again or

b) a semi-detached, retro re-imagined version of star trek

then I have absolutely no interest.

And cannot stress this enough: Aesthetically pleasing starship designs!!! Do not give us crap like JJ's wretched version...

I was thinking more along the lines of a starfleet outdated rear line ship made into a dumping ground crewed by the fed's rejects. An anti-TNG if you will.

But we did get a young uncoventional captain who gathers together misfits & lets's them run amok for lucky win success. Spock even filled the Yamamoto role, as did Pike the Admiral Hanner role.

Edited by Keith

I was thinking more along the lines of a starfleet outdated rear line ship made into a dumping ground crewed by the fed's rejects. An anti-TNG if you will.

I've had similar thoughts, for a Trek series. I'd like to see it set on a run down Enterprise E, that's long past its days as pride of the fleet. Give it a crew of misfits that Starfleet doesn't really know what to do with, and stick them on border patrol. Kind of Trek, with a Firefly attitude. They could even run into the occasional bit of TOS flavored weird poo.

Hell to the yes! I loved those books!

I never read them. I'll find them for the Kobo ereader I purchased from the corpse of Borders today.

What I have read, and enjoyed, were most of Peter David's New Frontier series.

TNG...pure win, epic in every way. I'm also watching it again in Netflix...series finale, time trek example #1

DS9...never really got into it, ST for me was about being on a ship, going where no man has gone before...Dominion War helped, but still not my fave, maybe watching it on Netflix will help.

Voyager, liked the series allot, contrary to some on this thread, I did like the crew allot. Plenty of Borg action and the premise of being in the Delta Quadrant is truly going where no one has gone before, however, series finale, time trek example # 2 and practically a copy of All good things...except Janeway wasn't sinile in the future.

Enterprise,started decent but took the plunge not soon after. This show failed as soon as they #1 introduced the Borg, #2 Temporal Cold War, time trek example #3, and lastly failed to even delve into the Romulan-Terran war. Series finale was also time related and by this point we've had a pair of motion pictures related to time travel, Generations & First Contact...dude ENOUGH ALREADY with the flux capacitor in the warp core!!!!

Basically, I love the Terran Empire alternate reality, but please, no more time travel in the new series!

And cannot stress this enough: Aesthetically pleasing starship designs!!! Do not give us crap like JJ's wretched version...

I take it that *this* is the sort of ship you would like to see.....

au600-endworldcollide.jpg

:p :P

Enterprise was one of the worst examples of Trek to date imo. Half of it seemed like the allowed fanfic to sneak in as actual script, and it basically shat all over everything that existed in canon prior.

As for Abrams Enterprise, I found that design to be rather awesome truthfully. But I also love the Prime continuity designs. Part of me wants to see the show take place in the time frame of Trek Online...just to destroy any illusions about the games canon (which I dislike overall). But farther in the future would probably be the best bet for making the show interesting enough to draw in new viewers.

one of the things i liked about the recent movie was that the crew was thrown together.

voyager was likeable a times for the same reasons. i like the concept of a worn out ship on the border , what is cool with this concept is some of existing established aliens are usually found in run down old ships and would make for more even battles.

we know the feds still use old ships as we see them all the time so the production can reuse models.

what i thought would be cool concept though would be a strike carrier type federation ship

Edited by buddhafabio

I don't hate Abram's Enterprise. I mean, when you see it, it's instantly recognizable as the Enterprise. And the original Enterprise does have a sort of "this is what we thought was futuristic in the '60s" look. I just don't like how what passes for "futuristic" in the late 2000's is something that looks like Apple designed it. So it's not my favorite Enterprise, either. I think the warp nacelles are the biggest turn off for me (well, that and the fact that it's supposed to be closer in size to a Galaxy-class than the Constitution-class of the original series and movies).

Regarding the shows, I love TNG. Good stories, great cast playing great characters. DS9 started off slow, but it got really good, with some really classic moments ("In the Pale Moonlight" might be my all-time favorite episode of any Trek series). TOS is a little too '60s campy for me most of the time, but there are some really good episodes (like "Balance of Terror") too, and I like the TOS movies. Enterprise does a lot of stuff wrong, but Scott Bakula was awesome in it, and was surprisingly entertaining if you gave it a chance. Voyager, though, was awful. Boring characters (Chakotay, Kim), another Vulcan (Tuvok), another Klingon (B'Elanna). But hey, the captain was woman this time! And why is it that, for a good chunk of the series, their main adversaries are silly-looking technologically inferior enemies? Face it, Voyager was flat out boring until the Borg became the main enemy. And even then, Voyager took what had been an occasional, terrifying, and powerful enemy and turned them into ho-hum villains of the week.

Voyager killed ST, plain and simple. Too much borg, too much Janeway, too much Chakotay. The organ doner aliens were weak, species 1234567 were weak, and the one interesting plot point they did have, i.e. fixing the ship up with borg technology & killing off a substancial number of the crew, they broke with more time travel! 36DD of 9 was too little too late of a last ditch effort to "patch" the show an audience, and that's where I left. I don't know how it ended, and I don't care how it ended. Also, Neelix was ST's Jar Jar, and hell, I almost successfully blocked him out.

Voyager was "cool," but clearly, they saw what B5 was doing, and jumped on the "me too" bandwagon when they tossed in the Dominion War & decided to make Captain Hawk part of some legendary epic battle. The show had potential, but B5 was always a step ahead, and always did it better.

As for NG, one thing, and one thing only needed to be fixed on that show. They should have always used military style uniforms instead of the stupid pajama's. It's hard to take a luxurybattleship crew serious when they're wearing their pajama's every day. If they had gone with a slight update on the ST movie naval uniforms, or if they had been smart enough to think up the later season/NG movie uniforms sooner, that show would have been so much better. Also, too much Q. It's hard to take any threat of the week serious when you know there's Q out there that can either fix or break all of existence. Some truly great cliffhangers though. Data's head in a cave? Awesome. Picard captured by the borg? How many here were hoping that Rike would take over and have to actually kill him (pussy-ass american writing wouldn't allow that though). Enterprise-C? That show had cliffhangers in the bag.

And Enterprise, I never watched a single episode. Voyager left me so disgusted with the franchise, that I didn't go back to it for years. Hell, I only got around to seeing Insurrection & Nemesis like 3-4 years ago. But JJ Trek was f^ckin' awesome. That's the ST I want to see continue in the future....with a real engine room instead of a brewery though.

Edited by Keith

If it

a) continues where we left of in 24th century

b) time jumps further in to the future

c) is completely new and detached from what we have come to see, but still retains those Roddenberry values that define star trek

then I'll be really excited.

But should it turn out to be

a) some type of prequel again or

b) a semi-detached, retro re-imagined version of star trek

then I have absolutely no interest.

I hate what JJ did with the series, if I have to endure more of that crap, I'd rather Star Trek die and stay dead.

-Kyp

I'm sorry, but the latest BSG is what Voyager SHOULD have been.

It was the ST series with the best potential from the get-go, and they royally screwed the pooch with the minimal amount of character development, the recycled stories/plotlines, and the lack of balls to really push the envelope with their unique characteristics.

I mean seriously, where was the Maquis/Starfleet tensions and conflicts? Other than a few episodes in the first season, they became utterly nonexistent.

There were GUEST characters on DS9 with more character development than any of the MAIN cast on Voyager. Harry Kim and Chakotay never really changed much from Season 1 all the way to Season 7. Heck, DS9's Rom had more character development than any of the Voyager cast not named 7 of 9 or the Doctor.

And did the ship ever take any sort of damage or need any sort of long-term overhauls as it was all by its lonesome out in the Delta Quadrant? Other than a few episodes, the ship always looked in top shape. Contrast that with BSG, where the Old Bucket never looked the same after struggling to get to that Algae Planet.

And maybe because it was on the ratings-struggling UPN, but some of those teaser trailers they had for next week's episodes were annoying examples of bait-and-switch tactics (Their first Borg episode comes to mind. <_< ).

Like I said, so much wasted potential. And Voyager utterly squandered it, played it safe, and never took any true risks. It's the series that burned me out on Trek.

I'm probably in a tiny minority on this, but I think it'd be cool if the new series was set within the timeframe of the first ST movies. I always liked the advanced, yet classic TOS look to the ships. The uniforms were spiffy, too

EXACTLY how i have always felt.

the 1980's TOS cast movies were trek at it's finest, IMO, as was TNG.

as far as ST Starship design is concerned, the 80's movies were as good as it ever got.

TNG Enterprise-D is i fine vessel overall, a bit out of proportion, from secondary hull to saucer section,

but a decent ship design on the whole.

after that, however, ST ship design just got exponentially worse as the years went on,

and, to me, the VOYAGER is the quintessential All-Time-Low. it's a hideous, hideous Starship, to my eye.

consequentially, ST stopped being interesting to me after TNG ended. the TNG movies got pretty weak after FIRST CONTACT as well, IMO.

as far as TREK is concerned, i wouldn't half mind being a kid all over again, taking in, for the very first time,

the majestic beauty of what instantly became, and has remained to this day, my personal all-time favorite Starship design, ST or otherwise;

USS_Excelsior_in_Spacedock.jpg

3excel.jpg

48110229_o.jpg

msd.jpg

uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b-sheet-11.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

I'm sorry, but the latest BSG is what Voyager SHOULD have been.

It was the ST series with the best potential from the get-go, and they royally screwed the pooch with the minimal amount of character development, the recycled stories/plotlines, and the lack of balls to really push the envelope with their unique characteristics.

I mean seriously, where was the Maquis/Starfleet tensions and conflicts? Other than a few episodes in the first season, they became utterly nonexistent.

And did the ship ever take any sort of damage or need any sort of long-term overhauls as it was all by its lonesome out in the Delta Quadrant? Other than a few episodes, the ship always looked in top shape. Contrast that with BSG, where the Old Bucket never looked the same after struggling to get to that Algae Planet.

I agree with everything I quoted above. Those are really great points. I don't really feel the same way about the criticism of the characters, and I still liked Voyager a lot just for it's premise alone. DS9 was the least interesting to me. I found it extremely boring until they started introducing the Defiant. I guess I'm weird.

and, to me, the VOYAGER is the quintessential All-Time-Low. it's a hideous, hideous Starship, to my eye.

Ack! How can you say that? The Voyager was a beauty. So sleek, and forward swept wings for the win!628px-Intrepid_class_top_quarter_aft.jpg

Edited by Vic Mancini

The Intrepid Class is not ugly per se, but it does look like an inverted teaspoon with chicken wings attached.

To me, the least appealing Federation Starship design from the original canon, other than some of the hideous kit-bashed abominations that were used as background filler, is the Galaxy class; it was the only one that took a very long time to grow on me... it just looks "wrong": ungainly, bloated, mis-proportioned.

And of course, the JJ-verse Enterprise was just atrocious! Actually, to my eyes, all the Starship designs in that movie were complete poo.

To me, the best looking Feddie ships are the Refit Enterprise, Excelsior, Reliant, Thunderchild (Akira Class), and to a lesser extent the Sovereign Class.

I would hope that a new series would take place in a Starship designed, inside and out, to be a real military/exploration vessel instead of a luxury liner -- no space stations please -- and move the story of the franchise forward into the future... no more prequels and/or reboots; although, I would not be totally against delving into TMP era.

one of the things i liked about the recent movie was that the crew was thrown together.

voyager was likeable a times for the same reasons. i like the concept of a worn out ship on the border , what is cool with this concept is some of existing established aliens are usually found in run down old ships and would make for more even battles.

we know the feds still use old ships as we see them all the time so the production can reuse models.

what i thought would be cool concept though would be a strike carrier type federation ship

From what I understand the ships being released within the Star Trek Online game are approved by Paramount/CBS so can it be said this is the cannon version of the Enterprise F:

post-2668-0-47668000-1315100420_thumb.jpg

post-2668-0-16900400-1315100571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zor Primus

I refuse to take anything in STO as canon, especially the Ent-F. True the design may be approved by CBS, but that means very little outside of marketing. I doubt any of the people responsible for any of the true canon designs had any input or were even part of the approval process.

I think in general, if it isn't in a show or movie, it isn't canon Trek. You might be able to bring in a term like "soft canon" to STO but nothing more. It's part of the reason I'd love a new show to directly conflict with the games events. While STO is enjoyable in its own way, I feel they crapped all of established canon as much as Enterprise did.

i was annoyed at how enterprise went. there were a few good episodes. but it flopped mostly.

voyager was the same. but some of my favorite epps were " message in a bottle" "the year from hell" was entertaining and the episode where tom paris got busted for saving the floating sphere of liquid.

i didnt not even watch ds9 till the Defiant came along and my brother pointed it out then i watched it.

movies wise i love 2-4. i hate 1 and 5 loved undiscovered country. felt meh with generations loved first contact

felt meh with insurrection and was ok with nemesis,i think Picard should have died instead of Data. (how many ships can one guy lose before starfleet says enough)

i dont love jj star trek as much as wrath of khan but i like it pretty well. i would love it if enterprise had red nacelles but i am ok with it

I'm with kaiotheforsaken. There's some stuff that I like in STO's story (like Data becoming captain of the Enterprise after Picard retires), but a lot of it is forced for the sake of gameplay (Klingons at war with Federation? Again?).

Replacing the Enterprise E leaps over that second category into bullshit for the sake of bullshit. There is no reason the Enterprise E needs replaced already. Not from a commercial standpoint, and not from an in-universe one either.

EDIT: For the record, I actually don't like most of Cryptic's original ship designs. The only exception is the Excalibur-class. And I actively despise this new fan-designed Enterprise.

Edited by mikeszekely

I'm with kaiotheforsaken. There's some stuff that I like in STO's story (like Data becoming captain of the Enterprise after Picard retires), but a lot of it is forced for the sake of gameplay (Klingons at war with Federation? Again?).

Replacing the Enterprise E leaps over that second category into bullshit for the sake of bullshit. There is no reason the Enterprise E needs replaced already. Not from a commercial standpoint, and not from an in-universe one either.

already? ST:0 takes place around 2409

The ent D was launched in 2363

the ent E was launched in 2372

Considering that there's only a 9 year gap between the D and E and nearly a 40 year jump to ST:O, having an F variant in game isn't really rushing things.

already? ST:0 takes place around 2409

The ent D was launched in 2363

the ent E was launched in 2372

Considering that there's only a 9 year gap between the D and E and nearly a 40 year jump to ST:O, having an F variant in game isn't really rushing things.

But the D crashed. If Starfleet wanted to keep a ship with the Enterprise name, it'd make sense to name a new-hotness ship Enterprise over another Galaxy... especially since the Galaxy-class seemed a relic of the 2360s, when the galaxy was peaceful and the flagship of Starfleet could afford to be a luxury liner. What happened to the E, though? By the game's timeline, it was in service until at least 2408.

30 years doesn't seem like that long in an organization that was using Mirandas and Excelsiors after nearly a century.

The Excelsior looks like an undersized frisbee clamped onto a pelican's torso with bread sticks for nacelles.

Well, all round primary hulls are frisbee shaped, from the original Connie to the Ambassador class, so that is hardly a demerit to the Excelsior. I always looked at the secondary hull more as a truncated boat's hull bottom attached to a surf board top myself, but a pelican's torso works too... and frisbees and pelicans are at least related to flight; a spoon, not so much. As for the nacelles, they're not bread sticks, they're French baguettes! :p

I think the refit Enterprise and her contemporaries were the best looking starships... they just had a certain presence derived from their neo-Art Deco designs that the rest of ships from all other series and movies failed to reproduce... the Enterprise E tried to achieve that magic and they got really close, but not quite.

And I don't find the Intrepid class ugly; it's got its merits. I like how compact it is (about the overall size of the refit E but with much greater internal volume), and the tilting pylons are an interesting design motif existing only, I believe, on that class of ship; but there is no denying that it is not the prettiest bird in the flock.

For really ugly examples just look at the Nova, Steamrunner, and the Norway classes. :wacko:

Edited by mechaninac

Agreed (with Mike), the Ent-D wouldn't have needed replacing at all had it not been for Generations. Starfleet certainly has a history of using ships that are well over 40 years old.

But I could accept a show that focused on the Ent-F, STO's reasoning for having one is just stupid. Their version of Ent-E's fate is basically "it disappeared and we haven't heard from it since". More shallow stories cooked up by cryptic.

However, I could also accept a 40 year life span on the Sovereign as the flagship. The Sovereign was designed (at least partially) with combating the borg and well..the borg are pretty f'ed in the Prime universe. Unless some new crazy threat showed up (in actual canon) there isn't much reason to replace the Sovereign or even the Galaxy as the feds big guns. True it would be on of the longest time frames an Enterprise has stayed active without being destroyed or replaced, but it still doesn't seem that implausible.

The post dominion war/post Romulus destruction should/could be a very interesting time. Alliances should be stronger than ever, new ones should be forged. Exploration should become the focus of the Federation again. But Cryptic has basically turned it into "the borg are back (again!) and everyone is fighting eachother". The Klingons are a perfect example of an alliance that was swept aside merely to facilitate pvp. The story telling in the game is shallow at best. Which is why I hope we just leave the game...as a game and out of any official canon.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

But the D crashed. If Starfleet wanted to keep a ship with the Enterprise name, it'd make sense to name a new-hotness ship Enterprise over another Galaxy... especially since the Galaxy-class seemed a relic of the 2360s, when the galaxy was peaceful and the flagship of Starfleet could afford to be a luxury liner. What happened to the E, though? By the game's timeline, it was in service until at least 2408.

30 years doesn't seem like that long in an organization that was using Mirandas and Excelsiors after nearly a century.

No idea what happened to the E.

As for the mirandas and other rust buckets flying around in the TNG era, I think the in show explanation was that the Federation was in a long period of peace and ship building just wasn't much of priority. That all changes when the Borg invade and then again with the Dominion war when they lost ships left and right.

I agree that the ent F intro in game is more about marketing than anything else, I'm just saying that 30 years is plenty of time, especially if we ignore the short jump between the D and F, 30-40 years between refreshes was the norm when it came to the Enterprise. 40 years between the B and C and then 30 years till the D.

Ick, Ent-E is far superior to the AGT Enterprise-D imo. They literally just tacked shi*t all over a very nice design. Don't get me wrong, I like the ship in the scope of the episode (and enough to buy the Art Asylum one). But I think the Sovereign is one of the nicest fed ships ever. I'd never want to trade it for the tri-nacelled beast.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken