Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

However, I do like how some of the pro modellers in Japan have been adapting the VF-11B style booster packs into the VF-19A designs. It'd be interesting to see the same applied to the S/F

This is what I was thinking of doing, except with the P because the S/F doesn't have an easy attachment point like the P does (or hopefully will) with those shoulder speakers. Leg packs are another thing entirely. I'm not sure what to do about those.

Edited by Mommar

As far as i can tell the only issue he could have is that the Strike Cannon is on the left instead of right side. Or maybe the fact this thing is posed with both the Super/Strike Pack and Stands, neither of which you can find for sale anymore,.

Finally, after more than a year released, got a Yamato Fire Valkyrie from HKCollectibles.

What a deal! Cheapest price I've seen (US$168).

I got a shipping discount somehow (guess they are trying to hook me up with the store) and the total I paid was US$186 reaching my house in only 5 days! (Regular air mail from HK to South America)

It's been a while since I bought a new valk and this Fire Valk is bomba!. Beautiful craftmanship, it shines really nice. This is a nice preview of how the next YF-19 will look.

Even if you are not a fan of Macross 7, you must get this one before is gone. I think this is the second reissue and won't be there anymore when it sells out.

My budget is short for more valks this year, but I will definitely buy the other VF-19s when they get on sale next year.

Edited by takatoys

How likely is it that the VF-19P will be in matte finish? Is that an impossibility with this mold? I really don't like the toy-esque shininess of the other VF-19 releases.

I recall during the initial forum discussions regarding the VF-19 kai that it was stated that the actual molds in which the plastic is poured are designed to only acomodate a "shiny" finish.

So if they're still using the same mold, which I'm sure they are, albeit with a little re-tooling, then the end result will stay shined.

Sorry man, I like the matte finishes too :(

How likely is it that the VF-19P will be in matte finish? Is that an impossibility with this mold? I really don't like the toy-esque shininess of the other VF-19 releases.

I recall during the initial forum discussions regarding the VF-19 kai that it was stated that the actual molds in which the plastic is poured are designed to only acomodate a "shiny" finish.

So if they're still using the same mold, which I'm sure they are, albeit with a little re-tooling, then the end result will stay shined.

Sorry man, I like the matte finishes too :(

Finely sandy textured surfaces yield a flat/matte look. The specific type of texture determines how matte.

Polished surfaces yield a glossy look. The finer the polish the glossier the surface.

When you're in the process of designing a mold tool you have to make a decision on what surface treatment to give the surfaces of the cavities into which the molten plastic are injected. Yamato decided from the onset that the toy would be shiny so they had the tool makers polish all the surfaces that are outward facing on the toy to a mirror finish; this means that there is no way to produce the parts in anything other than high gloss. In order for the P to be made matte would require redoing all the highly polished areas with an acid etch or other process that would give these surfaces the irregular sandy texture that would cause light to scatter instead of reflecting.

There is no way that Yamato would make a whole new set of tools to produce the P version, and changing the existing tools in any way would 1) prevent them from ever issuing reissues of the Kay, S or F variants in their glossy incarnations if just the texture is changed, and 2) eliminate the possibility of making those models entirely if the molds are retooled to P component specs. What Yamato will do, what they have done for the S and F, is to have new molds made for the specific versions... no molds are changed as most of the parts are shared, and just the parts needed for the new toys are tooled for the new production; and since the shared parts come out glossy from their mold(s), the new tools must also be polished to the same standard so that they match.

Long story short, to answer your question, It is an impossibility to go back and forth between gloss and matte on the same injection mold tools... the finish is cut into the steel.

I know a lot of us actually prefer the matte finis on our Yamato valks, but these valks were meant to have a glossy finish to begin with. I also read that Kawamori-san said they must be in a gloss finish. If you watch the show really closely you will see that the VF-19 variants are actually glossy. I find it easier to tell in one of the later episodes the one where max de-folds close to the surface. Was the episode called Operation Stargazer? If you watch Emerald forces canyon run and look closely at the color you can see the reflection effect in the animation. I was kinda bummed initially when I found out they were gloss, but I am really impressed by the 19's that are in my collection and really can't complain.

Huzzah! ^_^

Actually I was a little shocked with the total for this one too. Probably due to seeing the shipping lumped in, but it almost hit $300. Fortunately, this was intended to be a birthday present to myself for months, so I've got enough set aside. But I might wait on getting a VF-17D and VF-19P after all, now that the news about the VE-1 and strike pack re-releases hit.

So much awesome, so little money. :p

Paid for mine this morning also, the price was a bit higher than I expected with shipping incl, but I can't complain I guess. C'mon America, lets get our sh!t together and fix our broken economy, so my toys will be cheaper. :) PayPal give us a better exchange rate also, that would help a bit too.

Edited by Loop

Finally, after more than a year released, got a Yamato Fire Valkyrie from HKCollectibles.

What a deal! Cheapest price I've seen (US$168).

Hasn’t it previously been on sale at HLJ? How much was it off then? In short, should I wait for the inevitable next HLJ Macross Sale?