Yamato 1/60 Regult w/ pilot

EXO

Yamato's loss, as this seems to be the one thing that many would buy.

except time and again people aren't buying enough bad guys even when they get made

did you do your part and buy a q-rau?

at full price?

except time and again people aren't buying enough bad guys even when they get made

at full price?

I bought a used one last year. Didn't have the money during the first release. I would bought it then if I did have the money. I can afford one of these Regult Kits but not gonna buy it. I collect Toys. I lack the skills and time to do models. I like Yamato cause they made really neat looking toys to display. I want to open the box and have a fully assembled toy. I don't believe in putting in the hard work to build and paint something myself. Especial not for $400. If I pay that much it better be built for me and filled with Cavier inside.

For the Q-Rau not being a big seller well. Who really wanted that? Come on its a girl's Mecha. Back in the day there was only Princess Leia and couple of Gijoes. Little boys wanted the male hero and those army builders. The Regult is the Cobra Viper and Storm Trooper. The Q-Rau is Princess Leia that not in a dress with a extra blaster. Only collectors who collect them all would seek the Q-Rau. Every Macross Yamato Collector who owned a Valk would by at least one Regult. Doesn't matter if you preferred the VF-1S over VF-1J over the VF-1A. If you only bought one VF-1 you would have wanted at least one common enemy mecha to go along with it. Instead they are going to sell what? 200 or so expensive kits to some serious model collectors?

I got my Q-Raus at full price!

I don't agree that Q-Raus are Princesses Leia. Q-Raus are more menacing; and Millia is a match for our hero Max. A badass ace.

There are only 2 enemy pilots with a name, and Millia is one of them.

While I'd put Miria in Q-Rau well above Leia in dress you can include me in the group that would have much preferred the green TV version over the 2 DYRL variants we got.

EDIT - bought both the Max and Miria Raus... I think both were slightly marked down but I'm sure someone somewhere still made money on them.

Edited by jenius

at full price?

I know that you are not necessarily asking me but I got my Quedluun Rau at full price and two sets of the Milia figures as well. I bought 3 Revoltech Regults as well as a toynami one. Even bought a Bandai Glaug kit reissue.

About freakin time!

11c5k54.jpg

Photo not allowed, Yamato web limited "1/60 Zentradi uniform set 8295 yen", "Regult H.D.P Kit 39900 yen".

thanks to quinjester for finding the image

Doing the freakin HDP Kit again. :(

And 1/60 Zentradi uniform set is Yamato Web Limited too. <_<

@VF5SS

I think you're being unnecessarily critical. Bottom line the Queadluun Raus are shitty toys and that's why "they didn't sell well". Of course I find that argument debatable considering the Max version sold out before I could buy one the first time around. Personally I own both Q raus, the Milia figure set and the two destroids (I'd buy the Phalanx too if they released it since it's the one I actually wanted) so I think I've spoken pretty loudly about what I would buy with my actual money. Now if they made an improved Q Rau with ratchets and all that jazz in the generic colours it would probably sell better because you know maybe it would be a better toy actually but now we'll never see that because they half *ssed the first version and weren't impressed by it.

I hope Yamato makes a lot of money on this Regult kit but it's obviously not marketed to me since I buy almost exclusively complete toys and not kits.

Just when I think Yamato's gonna pull me back in, they do something that makes me say, "Nah, I'm cool for now."

A nicely articulated (yet reasonably priced) 1/60 Regult and pilot toy is one of the few things still on my personal want list.

Edited by Mog

I got my Q-Raus at full price!

I don't agree that Q-Raus are Princesses Leia. Q-Raus are more menacing; and Millia is a match for our hero Max. A badass ace.

There are only 2 enemy pilots with a name, and Millia is one of them.

I have a oouple of Mirias and one Max. I was hoping that I could have one of the Miria's repainted to look like a tv version Rau. Off-topic, what color were the cannon-fodder Raus in the movie? If they weren't red or blue, Yamato could have milked the mold again along with repainting the Miria pilot figure.

@VF5SS

I think you're being unnecessarily critical. Bottom line the Queadluun Raus are shitty toys and that's why "they didn't sell well". Of course I find that argument debatable considering the Max version sold out before I could buy one the first time around. Personally I own both Q raus, the Milia figure set and the two destroids (I'd buy the Phalanx too if they released it since it's the one I actually wanted) so I think I've spoken pretty loudly about what I would buy with my actual money. Now if they made an improved Q Rau with ratchets and all that jazz in the generic colours it would probably sell better because you know maybe it would be a better toy actually but now we'll never see that because they half *ssed the first version and weren't impressed by it.

I hope Yamato makes a lot of money on this Regult kit but it's obviously not marketed to me since I buy almost exclusively complete toys and not kits.

There's some validity in VF5SS claim, I guess as a personal opinion. I bought the both Qraus at full price because of the aversion of companies to make enemy mechs especially at a large scale. I thought about how much it would be if someone was to make a similar resin kit with articulation (which is almost impossible, even now and I figured it would cost about $500. I ended up snapping up some more at a really good price after no one else bought them. And then they went back up to a ridiculous price. I know Yamato recently rereleased them so I don't know how much they are, but I'm pretty sure if I decided to sell my extras later on I would have gotten the ones I bought originally close to free. But I'm pretty sure one day I'll customize them to the TV versions. I think the poseablilty suffers from the lineart not from the toy's design. My only complaint is that they didnt add a poseable figure, even at a slightly higher price.

To be fair, the economy in Japan is not doing great, and as toys are not a commodity you can't live without, what better than become a direct to consumer business? you save costs, only produce as many preorders you get, no extra marketing cost whatsoever... the web is already there and they don't bother selling outside Japan. It would actually be strange things don't go web exclusive. Unfortunately Yamato has a tendency of selling their exclusives at 3-digit price tags, makes me wonder how many humans are willing to pay 400 bucks for a Regult or 2000 bucks for the SDF1, really would like to know.

I got excited until I saw web exclusive kit. These web exclusives from both Bandai and Yamato are becoming tiresome and lame.

My feelings exactly. Though I don't like it, I can understand selling an entire product (like a weathered version or the Regult) as a web exclusive to save costs on distribution or whatever on a low-volume item, but holding back accessories instead of packaging them with the toy like Bandai did with the Fire Valkyrie just bugs me.

The reporter of this blog asked Yamato about a completed toy version of the 1/60 Regult.

リガードの完成品化をうかがうと、1/60スケールだと複数買いしづらい価格になりそうで、サイズや価格などまだまだ検討が必要とのことでした。

The answer was that they think at 1/60 scale the price will become too prohibitive to buy multiple copies and thus they think it's necessary to study further the matter of size and cost.

I suppose what one could infer from this is - for the completed toy version, Yamato might scale it down, do away with certain gimmicks, or something else to bring the cost down.

Maybe I'm unfair to the Q-Rau buy comparing it to Princess Leia. How about Scarlett instead. If you Have Duke or Snake Eyes you are more prone to buying Scarlett. Like wise if you have Max you're more likely to buy Milia. They are just natural parings. The basic Regult is perfect partner for any VF-1. I keep hearing that Bad Guys don't sell. Where is the proof in this? I know it's what people say but is there data to back it up? Bad Guy action figures sell good. If we look at Macross Toy alone is there really enough Bad Guy released to show they don't sell well? Q-Rau one red and one blue. Can you judge it all based on just them?

How can a Regult toy at the 1/60 scale be too price prohibitive? What advanced toy engineering design would be required? What would be so complex to make it price prohibitive. You don't have to spend time and money figuring out how to store the right leg underneath the Regult in fighter mode because the dang thing doesn't transform. It has just mode. That's it. You aren't trying to figure out how to make three different toys out of one unit. It would be a large hollow piece of plastic with some movable parts.

What is their logic?

Yamato CEO: How about a 1/60 Regult Toy to go along with the 1/60 VF-1 line.

Yamato Toy Designers: We can do it for $150.

Yamato CEO: $150? Thats about the same price for a VF-1 with them funky fast packs and armor. That toy also transforms. Can't you do better?

Yamato Toy Designers: We'll if we don't assemble or paint the toy, use some modeling material we can market it as an exclusive model and charge $400 for it.

Yamato CEO: Brilliant!

lol you guys still don't get it

they made the q-rau for as cheap as they could make it and nobody bought them

they made the destroids for as cheap as they could make them and nobody bought them

even the revoltech regult was a crappy seller

nobody buys the secondary mecha unless it's gundam

so now they're going with a sure-fire profit

Bought the red Q ray and Millia figure set at full price. Didn't buy the Blue Max. Same price for the mecha but have to get the CMS figure?

Pre-ordered sale price for all the original tan release destroids.

Bought 3 revoltech regults.

Doesn't matter. I am not Yamato's target audience since I am not Japanese.

I think Yamato is already doing fans a huge favor making such rare mechas available in the standardized scale, although at a high price. Can you really say it would have been better if Yamato had not released the figure at ALL, thus making it impossible to acquire and collect, even if you had the money?

Too much of the 'if I can't have it, no one can' sentiment going around here.

Price gouging or not, options are always better than no options.

Edited by Cent

400 bucks for a toy that only has 2 moving legs and some internal details that I have to put together myself. I appreciate the effort but come on, even the destroids (which are in less demand than a 1/60 regult) were priced around $100. Maybe this is just a test the waters thing and they will go into full scale production later on.

at full price?

Yeah, twice. I have two of the Milia, and one of the Max. You could say I did my part. Then again, do you really classify this as a "bad guy" toy? She's not really known as one of the enemy, kinda like a hybrid. Getting a Regult, there's no question about that. It's the bad guy (hahaha, almost spelled bad buy, but that wouldn't be right)

I think judging the reaction from our fellow members here alone it would be a good gamble on Yamato's part.

Consider this, the only bad guy mechs really released in 1/60 were the Q-Raus.

So just calling it on their not too openly known sales numbers alone does not make it set in stone.

But if you really want to play the numbers/bad guy card, look at the VF-27 and the buzz over the green vers.

Had Bandai sold them in the opposite order how many do you think fans would've scooped up of the green?

I recall the "Purple One" sold out on many e-tailer sites and are still being back ordered.

But had the CF/Green sold in conjunction with the Brera release, I think it could've out sold his 2 to 1.

Instead it is elevated to the web exclusive status and now fans are saddled with trying to find 3rd & 4th party sellers.

(Which in some cases means higher prices and possible scalpers)

Only if Bandai had sold them on the norm, we (and the industry) would have a solid base for bad guy mech sales.

May be we should do one lol.

I'd buy it, even if it was just the 1/100 scaled up to 1/55. Heck, I'd buy it especially if it was done that way. A classic chunky buddy for my classic chunky Valkies!

Wow, this thread made me go from "OMG! FINALLY! THANK YOU, YAMATO!" to "F*&K OFF with your web exclusive bullshit and model kits. I'm out." I have been a loyal fan of this company for years now, and their latest moves have been pretty much a series of kicks to the faces of collectors. I love my Macross collection, but I'm royally fed up with all this "exclusive this" and "model kit" that nonsense. I'm not one to "rrrrrrrrrrrage" normally, but seeing this stuff just really frustrates me to no end. First Bandai screws us over with their constant web exclusives, then Yamato continues to explore this same path. These things are expensive to come by at normal retail, never mind having to use a third party to acquire them at an even more marked up price due to the ridiculous limited nature. I buy Yamato TOYS because I don't want to assemble, paint, etc. model kits. And yeah, I bought my Milia and Max Q-raus at full price. And I would do it again if they made more enemy mecha.

Edited by crasis

I think Yamato is already doing fans a huge favor making such rare mechas available in the standardized scale, although at a high price. Can you really say it would have been better if Yamato had not released the figure at ALL, thus making it impossible to acquire and collect, even if you had the money?

Too much of the 'if I can't have it, no one can' sentiment going around here.

Price gouging or not, options are always better than no options.

Actually I would say it is better (to me and most fans who can't afford it) if Yamato don't make the figure at all. How human psychology perceive happiness is not always on linear scale. I would be very happy if Yamato make a Regult within my budget. But I would be happier if Yamato never make the Regult in the first place if it is priced out of my reach than not able to own one paying a reasonable amount. Given that I believe my budget on Yamato toys is above average and most fans would follow the same human psychology. By applying utilitarianism principle to aggregate the amount of happiness of all Macross fans, it seems not having a way too expensive Regult is better than having one.

Yeah, F*CK YOU YAMATO!!!! :angry: How dare you try to be profitable as a manufacturer of luxury goods during a time of severe global economic depression. After all the years of supporting you by whining on the internet about how much your products suck, This is the thanks we get? BULLSHIT.

$400 for big, detailed, and articulated automotive grade resin kit is ridiculous. This thing should at least come pre-painted and assembled and made of 24k gold, and even then theirs no way it should go for more than 50 bucks. <_<

[/massive sarcasm and hyperbole]