ADV's English dub of Macross

I recently watched through it all and I don't think it is a very good dub. Having Mari Iijima do Minmay again seems like a neat idea, but i dont think she sounds natural enough speaking English and it almost becomes a completely different interpretation of the character.

Also, hearing it in English makes me realize how over the top Roy is. He's almost like a Japanese stereotype of Americans as obnoxious loudmouths. i like better how they calmed him down in robotech.

From what I watched of that dub, which was admittedly mostly Mari parts, she actually did pretty good. Her portrayal, though decidedly older now, was pretty damn close, and while her English is slightly awkward, she still outshines both the new cast, and the old dub cast.

Also, don't blame bad dub acting for Roy's outlandishness, he's supposed to be bigger than life, that's part of his charm.

the ADV dub isnt too bad, Mari is of course the stand out with her reprisal of minmay the one and only :D loved that she voiced her again. but in my honest opinion i prefered the english Misa hayaes voice from 'robotech' then the one they used in the ADV dub.

Still,props for doing an english dub Macross in the first place.

When first released, I listened to sample episodes of the ADV dub. It seemed at the same level of quality as the vast majority of anime dubbing; awful. I was disappointed, but not in the least surprised.

When first released, I listened to sample episodes of the ADV dub. It seemed at the same level of quality as the vast majority of anime dubbing; awful. I was disappointed, but not in the least surprised.

I agree. Particularly younger characters get absolutely terrible voices.

Also, don't blame bad dub acting for Roy's outlandishness, he's supposed to be bigger than life, that's part of his charm.

I'm sorry the script and the actor both made Roy sound like a jarhead Marine, not a Navy pilot with a lot of combat experience. Pilots are a cocky, arrogant bunch, but nothing like Roy was portrayed in the ADV dub!

ADV made him into a characature, rather than a serious squadron commander.

Yeah, the ADV dub was a waste of money, even on the three discs I bought before I became totally disgusted with the release. Had ADV shown the same respect for the material that they had on Evangelion, it could have been the definitive English dub of Macross, but of course they didn't. <_<:angry:

It's MAC-CROSS!! Not Muh-cross!

its definitely not MAC-CROSS -- it's not MAC as in Big MAC, that is, if you want to pronounce it similar to the way the japanese do.

just like a lot of english speakers pronounce GUN-DAMN :wacko:

I'm curious how they pronounced Macross, any audio clips of it on the net?

Edited by Shun

robotech did only two things right. Only two.

-the voice actors/direction

-having a new song for the climactic battle scene

but the ADV dub kills me. They're all so annoying and over the top. I HATE Misa and Roy.

I noticed that the Captain of Macross Quarter pronounces it like I do, so I figure I'm right, or at least close. (there's a slight variation though--sometimes he says it more like "crose" than "cross")

Somewhere between Mah-cross and Mah-crose. IMHO, Mac-cross isn't that far off, and at least once Captain Wilder is very close to that. It's a whole lot better than ADV's "Muh cross!"

I swear Japanese has another vowel sound of "a" that English doesn't. I think it's properly between "Ma" and "Mah"---but I can't make that sound.

::edit:: 18:40 into final ep of Frontier. Or 18:05 into ep 7. Probably also when Battle 25 fires its main gun.

If the original source for the name is MacBeth---shouldn't it be more like Mc or Mac?

So far I've only watched the first ep and couldn't stand the Muh-cross thing either. Every one else is similar to Robotech VA, but just not the same. One of my buddies did the voice for one of the Trio of Zentradi. Can't remember which one though.

sorry guys, but the RT dub is the best english dub period.

*snicker*

I refuse to watch a new English dub of Macross, or even Southern Cross or Mospeada. It would be too much of a mindfart.

Which of course is why you should watch them in Japanese, the way God intended. ^_^

sorry guys, but the RT dub is the best english dub period. I refuse to watch a new English dub of Macross, or even Southern Cross or Mospeada. It would be too much of a mindfart.

Correction the English dub of DYRL? or Clash of the Bionoids is the best.

I feel sorry for you, guys. Macross italian dub was excellent (not a masterpiece if compared to other productions, but still excellent). We generally have very high standards when it comes to dubs, as we have a long tradition/industry of top notch adaptations.

Mmh correct if I'm wrong but there are no dubs of Southern Cross and Mospeada? ADV released them just with subs?

No dubs. The only dub of Mospeada aside from Robotech is a one episode pilot that Harmony Gold did before Robotech along the lines of their three episode Macross dub.

Is that a line of dialogue from a dubious dub or what?

Is that from Clash when the Meltrandi invade britai's ship? Been a while since I watched it on VHS.

I need to get it on dvd.

I'm curious how they pronounced Macross, any audio clips of it on the net?

They pronounce it like the sport lacrosse. Just replace the L with an M.

An abbreviated first syllable and emphasis on the latter one.

I only bought the ADV release for two reasons. One: Mari Iijima reprising her role as Minmay; Two: Due to the cracking in some of the hubs in the AnimEigo set, I wanted the ADV set as the watched set to preserve the AnimEigo set.

I prefer the rt actors. Monica Rial's misa is ear grating.

Actually anything she does is ear grating imo. Mari as

english minmay is cool and all but there was just zero

chemistry with hikky. Yes, I have the animego set

and have watched it all in jp. I do appreciate a good

Dub tho.

Edited by Negotiator