ADV's English dub of Macross

The one good thing about RT is that they pronounced Macross (M-a-cross) with a short A and not a short u sound. This was also done in the english dub of Macross 2, and Macross Plus. So why didn't ADV research into it, so that they don't piss off the fans. Plus after watching the dub on Hulu, I now understand why every one hates it. If I were the voice director I would have been yelling at them to do it right and watch the Macross Plus and 2 and even (sigh) Robotech so that the won't mess up. Oh buy the way I nerver heard Mari pronounce Macross as "Muhcross" wasn't paying attention. Plus on the downside the songs were not sung in english, I was kind of hoping to hear them sung in english for the first time but I was dissapointied.

The way they said Hikaru bugged me just as much (even if I did just spell his name wrong...)

Many times it was pronounced by the English cast as

HE-CAR-EWW

When I hear the Japanese cast say

HE-KA-ROO

(my phonetic spelling skills are bad, but I think anyone who has heard the dub knows what I mean)

I'm sorry. The dubb is horrible to me. :(

I only got them so I can watch them subbed, as to avoid wear and tear on my animeigo copies.

Exactly the same reason why I got mine. The only good thing about the ADV dub, was that because of oversaturation of Robotech, the ADV DVDs went on sale rather quickly, and I was able to get the entire set for about $12 a pop. Nothing beats the Animeigo set though.

The way they said Hikaru bugged me just as much (even if I did just spell his name wrong...)

Yeah, I know what you mean... between their bizarre pronunciations of half the character names and their odd insistence on pronouncing "Macross" as "Muck-ross" and their generally lackluster voice acting, I couldn't hit the "change audio" button on my DVD player's remote fast enough. I didn't even make it through one episode, though I caught bits and pieces here and there, just long enough to note that the guy voicing Hikaru was probably the only one they'd made a good call on during casting.

Yeah, I know what you mean... between their bizarre pronunciations of half the character names and their odd insistence on pronouncing "Macross" as "Muck-ross" and their generally lackluster voice acting, I couldn't hit the "change audio" button on my DVD player's remote fast enough. I didn't even make it through one episode, though I caught bits and pieces here and there, just long enough to note that the guy voicing Hikaru was probably the only one they'd made a good call on during casting.

Ya, that was the guy on FMA, which I think was the only suitable VA for hikky with Texas's VA talent pool.

You know when I first saw the dub, from the preview disc, from New type. I thought I was pronouncing Macross wrong all these years for a split second. :mellow: Then realized that it was just ADV terrible dubbing. :)