Predators in 2010

Vermillion21

I give it t 6/10. Entertaining, yes, but too much for me to complain about. I didn't like the ending, either, but everyone in the theater seemed to be somewhat satisfied. Not worth seeing in the theater, unless you're really bored. Wait for it to come out on DVD or get it on Netflix/OnDemand.

lol that's why I think there should be laws and regulations that prohibit the use of firearms while hunting game lulz... you're not a real bi-testicular hombre until you've tried to take down a rhino with your bare hands with MMA submission maneuvers.

Firearms = easy mode

Sounds like something Agent One would do. :D

In any case, was the movie worth it? OR should I just wait for it to come out in HBO or something? :ph34r:

Just saw it last night, it was enjoyable. Topher Grace plays a great psycho. I like the way they have two factions of Predators, the normal kind we are used to dealing with and the Predator "Cannibals" that were not only more feral, but if you looked at the face, even seemed more primitive.

Still want to see this, but haven't gotten a chance. Though I have seen some of the sideshow and hot toys products coming out for it and I really like some of the stuff. The "Falconer" helmet and the Berserker Predator look awesome. So at least some of the new designs are good, hopefully I'll be able to catch it before it vanishes from theaters.

I just got back from seeing this. What makes this film so enjoyable is that it does not try and take itself too seriously, nor does it attempt to tell some sort of compelling story to then fall flat on its face. It's just a simple sci-fi action flick, and that's it.

The other enjoyable thing was the 80's tackiness, from some of the music tracks to the intro title.

I had some doubts about Adrien Brody playing a commando, as he is no arnie, but he did a convincing job, and damm that AA-12 automatic shotgun is pure carnage.

I rate this logarithmically better than the 2 AvP films, slightly better the second, but the original is still supreme.

Edited by Ghost Train

I rate this logarithmically better than the 2 AvP films, slightly better the second, but the original is still supreme.

Agreed

The thing that I found strange about this movie is how it started. The beginning seemed like an after thought (if that's possible) with how it just cuts into him falling with not even as much as a fade-in, or any kind of intro.

I just saw it today and it was a pretty cool action flick. I like how the chick talked about Arnold's encounter with the Predator. I was surprised about what happened at the end with the chick and Eric Foreman (lol) but I guess it makes sense. Why would they bring a doctor along??

Why was that Predator tied up? Was he not worthy and as punishment he was tied up?

I just saw it today and it was a pretty cool action flick. I like how the chick talked about Arnold's encounter with the Predator. I was surprised about what happened at the end with the chick and Eric Foreman (lol) but I guess it makes sense. Why would they bring a doctor along??

Why was that Predator tied up? Was he not worthy and as punishment he was tied up?

It's mentioned in the film that the two Predator factions were having some sort of turf war - though this is from a human's perspective, and no one would really know why the Pred was captured.

I didn't read the spoilers so I thought the doctor was just there to keep everyone alive, so as to increase the difficulty for the hunting predators. So for me, it was a bit of a ahaaaa moment.

From what I gather that predator was tied up because he isn't worthy of being killed by the others, and to have him tied up and humiliated as such is a worse punishment than death.

I didn't read the spoilers so I thought the doctor was just there to keep everyone alive, so as to increase the difficulty for the hunting predators. So for me, it was a bit of a ahaaaa moment.

That's what I thought too. Lol. I missed a part of the scene where Lawrence Fishbornre lead them to his hide out when I went to the bathroom.

Finally got to see it and enjoyed it. It's ok as an action flick and Adrien Brody was surprisingly convincing in his role. But it lacks the fear factor one felt in the original Predator.

From what I gather that predator was tied up because he isn't worthy of being killed by the others, and to have him tied up and humiliated as such is a worse punishment than death.

I think he was actually a trap as he was the humans only way home, which is why they rigged his ship to explode. Really there was no reason to keep him alive other than to use him as bait.

Saw some of the toys. Meh, no accessories, decent paint job, good sculpt, almost no articulation.

personally I would have rathered a re-release of the old Predators action figuers.

post-806-128059755039_thumb.jpg

they don't look articulated but they really are, head, hands, feet are ball and socket, shoulders, elbows and knees have the same as the current gijoe/starwars figures- full range of movement, the hips are v cut with a swivel point mid thigh- done only to keep the sculpt accurate. i;m trying to give it new marvel legend style hips.

oh, well if the joints are that well done, and so hidden I didn't see them in the packaging, guess I'll pick one up. Are the masks removable? I'd like to have a bare-faced pred.

I think he was actually a trap as he was the humans only way home, which is why they rigged his ship to explode. Really there was no reason to keep him alive other than to use him as bait.

I don't think the ship was originally rigged to explode, rather, any of the preds with their wrist-comm could order it to self-destruct or program the destination.

Frankly, as someone with some little military experience, I cringed at how these 'Special Ops/Heavy Hitters' did some stuff in the movie. Bunching up together when contact was expected, shooting from the hip (I mean, besides the chick sniper and yakuza with the peashooter, notice how none of them AIMED with their weapon sights during the 'dog' attack? The SMG's, AA12, AK etc were all below chest level), walking out in the open (the rock pool part esp.) etc etc. OK ok its a movie...

BTW, did the Gatling (I cant see, was it a GSh or an XM/M?) and the AA12 do any damage at all in the entire show? I know the pistol rounds were bouncing off the Pred's shield/armour and the Sniper Rifle (what model was it anyway?) could hurt them. I suppose the Pred's shield/armour can resist up to about assault rifle rounds then?

Edited by Retracting Head Ter Ter

• 4 months later...

Thread Necromancy...

Just rented it from Netflix, not bad but certainly not good.

My main quible (in a movie that could be ripped apart any number of ways) was that they are on an alien planet - that had a totally different day/night cycle, and there was no obvious difference between that planet and Earth till they got out of the tree cover?

An even bigger gripe is that a single Predator wiped out Arnorld's team in the first movie (and Arnold's team was badass, not like this group of goons) but in the sequal 3 tougher/meaner predators don't do any better.

But for silly fun the movie it fine.

I don't think the ship was originally rigged to explode, rather, any of the preds with their wrist-comm could order it to self-destruct or program the destination.

Frankly, as someone with some little military experience, I cringed at how these 'Special Ops/Heavy Hitters' did some stuff in the movie. Bunching up together when contact was expected, shooting from the hip (I mean, besides the chick sniper and yakuza with the peashooter, notice how none of them AIMED with their weapon sights during the 'dog' attack? The SMG's, AA12, AK etc were all below chest level), walking out in the open (the rock pool part esp.) etc etc. OK ok its a movie...

BTW, did the Gatling (I cant see, was it a GSh or an XM/M?) and the AA12 do any damage at all in the entire show? I know the pistol rounds were bouncing off the Pred's shield/armour and the Sniper Rifle (what model was it anyway?) could hurt them. I suppose the Pred's shield/armour can resist up to about assault rifle rounds then?

While it's not likely because of impracticality and expense, part of me thinks: it'd be too much like right if the actors playing characters that are supposed to be such "military bada$$es" in movies had to undergo actual training. Hell, send 'em to boot camp. Like Parris f'ing Island, boot camp--even if it's an abbreviated regimen, like 2-3 wks. Who knows? Might eliminate some of that glaring, cringeworthy Hollywood hip-shooting tomfoolery.

While it's not likely because of impracticality and expense, part of me thinks: it'd be too much like right if the actors playing characters that are supposed to be such "military bada$$es" in movies had to undergo actual training. Hell, send 'em to boot camp. Like Parris f'ing Island, boot camp--even if it's an abbreviated regimen, like 2-3 wks. Who knows? Might eliminate some of that glaring, cringeworthy Hollywood hip-shooting tomfoolery.

Although Parris Island is certainly a bit much (don't want to kill the actors before the movie starts after all) the idea of a boot camp is not new - a two week camp was used for the "Saving Private Ryan" cast and the "Band of Brothers" cast.

In all fairness, the only people in the group with ACTUAL military experience where Adrian Brody's character, the girl and the Russian.

And of them, the woman was aiming, and the russian had a F*cking mini gun; you couldn't physically hold it above your waist and fire it even if you wanted to.

The others where a Mexican cartel enforcer, a Yakuza, a guerrilla fighter and a pair of serial killers. none of them SHOULD have any military training so it's perfectly reasonable for them to be doing stupid stuff like running around hip firing and such.

Also, the lack of decent tactics and doing stupid stuff like bunching up and what not can be chocked up to poor communication because they where all from different backgrounds and didn't trust each other.

Actually the original is much worse in all these cases. Everyone was running around in the open, spraying ammo from the hip and making no attempts to aim; and all of them where supposed to be highly trained special forces members who have years of experience.

Actually the original is much worse in all these cases. Everyone was running around in the open, spraying ammo from the hip and making no attempts to aim; and all of them where supposed to be highly trained special forces members who have years of experience.

100% true, but they did all that stupid stuff with much more Panache - and the original was most certainly not taking itself too seriously. Besides, as my ex-governer says, "I ain't got time to bleed"

Although Parris Island is certainly a bit much (don't want to kill the actors before the movie starts after all) the idea of a boot camp is not new - a two week camp was used for the "Saving Private Ryan" cast and the "Band of Brothers" cast.

I'm sure they did that for the cast of Black Hawk Down, as well as other military flicks...

An even bigger gripe is that a single Predator wiped out Arnorld's team in the first movie (and Arnold's team was badass, not like this group of goons) but in the sequal 3 tougher/meaner predators don't do any better.

In all fairness though the Predator in the first film was a bit of sneaky mard arse. He spent the majority of the film fully cloaked, up a tree, and just sniped Arnie's team off one by one with his shoulder mounted plasma caster.

Its only as the character has developed that we have seen them introduce their culture and honour system - in comparison to the current Predators the first one was a big shower of sh1t.

In all fairness though the Predator in the first film was a bit of sneaky mard arse. He spent the majority of the film fully cloaked, up a tree, and just sniped Arnie's team off one by one with his shoulder mounted plasma caster.

Its only as the character has developed that we have seen them introduce their culture and honour system - in comparison to the current Predators the first one was a big shower of sh1t.

I seem to recall in the first one the predator not attacking the girl because she was un-armed.

I seem to recall in the first one the predator not attacking the girl because she was un-armed.

And in Predator 2 the lady was not killed since she was pregnant. (*) I forget, who killed the "Doctor" in this movie (shows how great it was, I forgot already...)

(*) I must point out that Predator 2 was one of the worst movies of all time and that I am ashamed to have any knowledge of it, the opening gunfight alone is even worse then the Rambo 3 opening.

And in Predator 2 the lady was not killed since she was pregnant. (*) I forget, who killed the "Doctor" in this movie (shows how great it was, I forgot already...)

(*) I must point out that Predator 2 was one of the worst movies of all time and that I am ashamed to have any knowledge of it, the opening gunfight alone is even worse then the Rambo 3 opening.

King Willie says, not only do I have to kill you, but I have to take your soul.

King Willie says, not only do I have to kill you, but I have to take your soul.

F*cking Voodoo magic man! :lol:

But you know what? I tell you what I believe... Shit happens! :p

Edited by anime52k8

I know but thats not what i was referring to. The Predator in the first film took out a good few people from long range, in the back, and while remaining cloaked - according to the canon that came afterwards then this is considered particulrly cowardly and shameful in Predator society. So that Predator compared to the ones that came after was not badass at all, in fact quite the opposite. Of course this is likely just because they hadnt fleshed out the backstory of the predators culture so while it did spare Anna's life it didnt follow the rest of teh code which was only established in the later films.