Inglourious Basterds

Or Pearl Harbor (2001), which proved that it's possible to travel from the US to England on a train.

You do realise that since the U.K goverment privatised British Rail this service has now been discontinued

One thing that these films do show is the stupidity of war in general. even if in the likes of Pearl Harbor the Bayformer pads it out smulchy kissing, love triangles and slow-mo's.

Probably old news but i just saw the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQhTVz5IjQ

I'm like :huh:

This is gonna be awesome! ^_^

This looks absolutely vial. Leave it to Quentin Tarantino to take something that could be good and ruin it with stupidity and mediocrity. <_<

You do realise that since the U.K goverment privatised British Rail this service has now been discontinued

One thing that these films do show is the stupidity of war in general. even if in the likes of Pearl Harbor the Bayformer pads it out smulchy kissing, love triangles and slow-mo's.

It's like: MACROSS-1941

Cross of Iron? Stalingrad? Thin Red Line? Flags of Our Fathers? Letters from Iwo Jima? Das Boot?

Totally forgot Thin Red Line. Not quite the same type of film as "All Quiet..." tone wise but still an outstanding film in its own way.

Saving Private Ryan nearly makes it as a horrific portrayal of war but then stuffs it up with the general theme of hope and salvation, which is absolute garbage.

Das Boot was brilliant too. The problem is that when you come out of the cinema after the extended version of the film (209 minutes), you really do feel like you have been stuck at the bottom of the ocean in a submarine for that long. God help anybody who has watched the 293 minute mini-series cut. (4 hours and 53 mins!!!)

Taksraven

My first thought and reaction upon seeing the trailer to this movie:

Brad Pitt is hard up for money.

Pete

PS - Add to your list of excellent WWII movies:

Europa, Europa

Edited by VFTF1

I mean, it probably will be a good escapist war film, but when they have the wankey attitude "You haven't seen WW2 until you see it through Tarentino's eyes" whatever it is they say, it leaves me a bit cold.

Pitt was excellent in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford". Fantastic film.

Taksraven

Is this movie based on a book?

It is not, it is loosely based on a 1978 Italian movie with the english title: Inglorious Bastards... very loosely based.

Wait, what? I've never seen Pearl Harbor...does that actually happen?

Ben Affleck's character volunteers to serve in the RAF (prior to Pearl Harbor), he is in NY at at the time, and his departure scene takes place on a train station :p . I mean it's implied that he gets on a boat at some point in time, but the scene is often used an example of how they tried to over-dramatize things in the flick.

Edited by Ghost Train

• 5 weeks later...

I caught a early showing of this; overall it was great watching a WWII movie with a Tarantino spin. Was it an epic war movie? Far from it. Was it fun watching some campy acting from Brad Pitt as a Nazi-hunting basterd? Yes. As far Tarantino films go, it doesn't have much of impact as his other movies and some scenes dragged on. I also would've like to have seen more scenes that showed has the basterds got their rep, but I still had a good time with it.

Just got back from watching the film.

And I can give it a mild recommendation (Don't go in expecting a "historically accurate" story though).

If you're a fan of Tarantino's well-known style (dialogue-heavy scenes with the occasional flourish of gleefully over-the-top violence), you'll enjoy it enough. If you get annoyed with Tarantino's techniques or are just plain bored now by his style, you'll probably wanna skip the Basterds.

I hate to say it, but I'm starting to see the seams in Quentin's style, especially with Basterds. On more than a few occasions I found myself saying, "Hey, isn't that musical cue from Kill Bill?" or "Isn't she from Kill Bill too?"

Also, a few of the scenes seemed to scream, "I'm a cool little cinematic or pacing technique! LOOK AT ME!!"

And at 2 1/2 hours long, the film definitely could use some editing. Understand, I'm a fan of Tarantino's stuff. But I think having a stronger editor (to reign Quentin in just a bit) would have made the film a lot tighter.

When the film is focusin' on "killin' NAT-Sees!!" :D, you can just see the energy ooze on-screen. But the middle part of the film (with a certain cameo) just really killed the film's pace.

All in all, don't go in expecting to see the greatest Tarantino film. It's okay, but it has its flaws.

P.S.--Is it just me, or did you get the sense that Quentin wrote one of the two female roles for Uma Thurman? :unsure:

So, why'd he make her dye her hair black (or wear a black wig) for Pulp Fiction? :)

Also, just wanted to mention that the main baddie in Basterds was generally pretty f'ng good and engaging. Other than the drawn-out strudel scene, he's one of the more interesting characters in the film.

So, why'd he make her dye her hair black (or wear a black wig) for Pulp Fiction? :)

Also, just wanted to mention that the main baddie in Basterds was generally pretty f'ng good and engaging. Other than the drawn-out strudel scene, he's one of the more interesting characters in the film.

Agreed, the Colonel was definitely one of the strongest, most engaging characters in the film. Besides Brad Pitt and the dude from The Office I barely remember any of the other Basterds.

And having recently watched Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2 they did reuse some of the same music/score.

IMHO Not a bad watch (especially considering what this summer has had to offer) but if you're no fan of Tarantino then you may want to stay far, far away.

-b.

I just got back from watching it and I enjoyed it a lot. The dialog was well written (especially the Colonel's).

I thought it was a fun take on WWII.

And since when is punking Nazi's not fun? Exactly - it always is :D

Edited by Valkyrie23

^^That's the same one I heard too.

P.S.--That horror movie director, Eli Roth, is one of the Basterds.

Also,

the slightly-psycho former Nazi Basterd had a fairly memorable backstory.

:D

Edited by Mog

Yup, Stiglitz could just flat-out kill you on a turn of a dime.

But Mr. Blonde? Mr. Blonde will kill ya WITH FLAIR! :lol:

And only in a Tarantino film can you learn two useless (but still quite interesting) bits of obscure film and international trivia. It may not be a Royale with Cheese, but I can say I learned two interesting bits of knowledge from Basterds. ;)

^^That's the same one I heard too.

P.S.--That horror movie director, Eli Roth, is one of the Basterds.

Also,

the slightly-psycho former Nazi Basterd had a fairly memorable backstory.

:D

True! But

the way he died in that stupid basement shoot-out (guess Brad called it, fightin’ in a basement is DUMB) relegated his character to forgettable to me. He should have gone out in a blaze of glory

And dammit if I didn't keep looking at Eli's name and thinking, I know that guy from somewhere...guess I've forgotten about Hostel too. :lol:

-b.

IB has become my favorite Tarintino film. I really enjoyed the hell out of it. Nice to see the man produce something that wasn't overrun with overly witty and vulgar dialog, with a constant need for violence. I really, really liked this film.