Yamato 1/60 Non-Canon Color VF-1's

CF18

I can careless about the tinting on the colorless vf-1. The fact that it's not tinted gives the cusomizers who want to heavily detail the canopy can show off their work. If you think about it, this is basically a hybrid toy/model kit, so it's gonna have some elements of a model, like unfinished parts, especially a canopy, where some customizers are gonna go all out. I wonder if Yamato will have a custom contest for this thing? That would be quite awesome, although, I know it wouldn't apply to us outside of Japan. I have a total of 4 of these on preorder, so when they come, I've got a list of customs to do.

No.

Re: the VF-1: I know it's "undecorated" but the lack of paint on the the diecast parts and lack of tinting/canopy detailing is disappointing. At the very least the canopy tinting is something that no modeler is going to be able to replicate with any sort of ease, even if they can paint the rest of it.

But if they put the coating on, you couldn't paint the canopy without removing it anyways. You can scrape the coating off with your nail, there's no way it's going to stand up to masking tape, and if you can't mask it you can't paint the frame.)

priming the metal parts would have been nice though.

I can careless about the tinting on the colorless vf-1. The fact that it's not tinted gives the cusomizers who want to heavily detail the canopy can show off their work.

But if they put the coating on, you couldn't paint the canopy without removing it anyways. You can scrape the coating off with your nail, there's no way it's going to stand up to masking tape, and if you can't mask it you can't paint the frame.)

priming the metal parts would have been nice though.

I guess nobody will paint the canopy in any solid color. It doesn't make sense at all to have that canopy clear without the rainbow coating like the others do. I know you can paint the canopy frame anycolor you want without scrapping the rainbow coating off because the rainbow coating is undernealth not on top where you will paint the canopy frame.

Maybe someone else will tint the canopy in yellow or pink, who knows.

I guess nobody will paint the canopy in any solid color. It doesn't make sense at all to have that canopy clear without the rainbow coating like the others do. I know you can paint the canopy frame anycolor you want without scrapping the rainbow coating off because the rainbow coating is undernealth not on top where you will paint the canopy frame.

Maybe someone else will tint the canopy in yellow or pink, who knows.

if you use spray paint or an airbrush, you need to mask the inside too, or you'll get over spray.

Actually.. in terms of transformation, it's probably better that they didn't paint the metal. I know many people have done customs already, and they would probably know better than I would..

My thought is that if they really did pre-paint the metal parts, especially the chest plate, it could get rather nasty to keep the plane (or is it a model now?) transforming without problems. The tolerances on this design are so tight, I doubt things would work correctly with too many coats of paint.

Yes, this is a disadvantage to people who want to decorate a white valk. But if you're not going to leave anything white, those extra layers of paint could have been a problem for customizers.

Also, for the cockpit canopy.. I could care less about the coating, but there's also a good reason to leave the frame unpainted. Real aircraft often have different colors on the insides of their canopy frames, matching with the interior colors, while the exteriors match the exterior of the aircraft. With the canopy left entirely clear, you can do a base coat for the canopy frame interior, then do the outer coat over it, and have different colors inside and out. It's much easier than actually painting the frame on the smooth inside of the canopy glass. :)

That's really no excuse for things like landing gear (which we haven't seen, and might be painted after all), but leaving the paint application entirely up to the owner has its advantages. They wanted to leave everything up to the owner, so what they've done is offer maximum flexibility, even if it does look a bit incomplete.

Personally, I might be tempted to get at least one of these, maybe a few. I've always wanted to just do up a few VF-1s in pure late '70s navy markings (US insignia and all, just as a what-if), and while decals might get tricky on transforming ones, I'd rather do them on complete valks than hasegawa kits (don't really have the patience to build so many when I just want to decorate them :lol:).

Really, forget this whole "angel birds" mashup, I wanna see VF-1s in actual Blue Angels and Thunderbirds markings. B))

Edited by Chronocidal

When I heard about the v2 Yamato 1/60, I was sure they'd eventually do the Low-Viz... I was hoping they would do the 1A and 1J... if/when they do, I'll get a whole team (4: 1xJ, and 3xA). Include gold/tinted canopy please... VF-1 "Have Glass."

Actually you do want the metal parts painted as if they don't have some kind of protection they will start to rust. They should be primed not painted. All it takes is one oily finger and your sanding rust off of all your diecast iron parts before prime and paint.

Edited by logos

Just fyi, those are all photoshop jobs.

The poses are identical to the VF-1S Roy publicity photos, and you can see where details are missing where they shopped over the yellow and black.

Either that, or this valk comes with a single piece chest/canopy shield, because the seam between them is gone. :lol:

Looks like the canopy is painted black. Hobby search has it up for pre order....have to admit it looks kinda cool in stock white. Like is just begging for a Minmay guard decal sheet or something. :lol:

The pictures here don't do justification. It's a paint over sample plus some CG work.

If you see the nosecone, it has the black marking stripe on gerwalk mode but "disappear" in other mode.

We still don't know how it might look like, what is painted or what is not.

1st off - can we lock this thread and create a new one specifically for the new blank VF-1S? and the other valks in this thread with correct titles? haha =P

2nd - If they were gonna do a complete blank valk, why did they add the tampo kites and intake decals? Instead of a blank slate valk, it has markings that you'd need to take off or mask if you wanted to paint the valk.

I think that's just silly

2nd - If they were gonna do a complete blank valk, why did they add the tampo kites and intake decals? Instead of a blank slate valk, it has markings that you'd need to take off or mask if you wanted to paint the valk.

Again, THAT IS NOT THE ACTUAL VALK. It's a (bad) photoshop of the Roy. The blank one is all bare plastic/metal, seen in a picture a page or so back.

1st off - can we lock this thread and create a new one specifically for the new blank VF-1S? and the other valks in this thread with correct titles? haha =P

agreed, but there is already one with improper thread topic though. Hope mod can change the topic:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=31630

Even if it is photo-shoped that looks like a Yamato advertisement to me (in the last pic) and that would suggest that the final production version is more likely to match that than a prototype they are showing off at a convention/show. It's still wait and see I guess but I would lean to it looking more like the Hobby Search version. Otherwise you have an unpainted "niche" piece that you would think they would be selling as one of those stupid web exclusives other than a retail product. This way Yamato can sell the toy as a "white" version as well and if you want to paint it go right ahead thats why they provide all those extra decals you don't really need because they Tampo print half the decals on the it in all the other versions.

Personally I hope it is that way as it would be perfect to weather the sh*t out of.

Edited by logos

Even if it is photo-shoped that looks like a Yamato advertisement to me (in the last pic) and that would suggest that the final production version is more likely to match that than a prototype they are showing off at a convention/show. It's still wait and see I guess but I would lean to it looking more like the Hobby Search version. Otherwise you have an unpainted "niche" piece that you would think they would be selling as one of those stupid web exclusives other than a retail product. This way Yamato can sell the toy as a "white" version as well and if you want to paint it go right ahead thats why they provide all those extra decals you don't really need because they Tampo print half the decals on the it in all the other versions.

Personally I hope it is that way as it would be perfect to weather the sh*t out of.

no.

it's going to look like the pre-production sample and not the crappy photoshop, and the whole point is that it IS an unpainted niche piece.

:edit:

the promo shots are almost always not indicative of the final product, as they are usually made using early resin prototypes or are fast and sloppy shoops of existing products. the pre-production samples at shows are basically early production runs of the final product and are probably 98% what you'll get in the box.

Edited by anime52k8

no.

it's going to look like the pre-production sample and not the crappy photoshop, and the whole point is that it IS an unpainted niche piece.

the promo shots are almost always not indicative of the final product, as they are usually made using early resin prototypes or are fast and sloppy shoops of existing products. the pre-production samples at shows are basically early production runs of the final product and are probably 98% what you'll get in the box.

agreed, but I still hope the metal get primed to paint matched the body, that's the 2% change I hope.

p046.jpg

Even if it is photo-shoped that looks like a Yamato advertisement to me (in the last pic) and that would suggest that the final production version is more likely to match that than a prototype they are showing off at a convention/show.

I wouldn't trust the advertisement. If you examine Yamato boxes, all of them have pics of the painted prototypes not the final/actual product. Think of the SV-51 CF, the feet/claws are tan in the pics of the box but the actual toy has dark grey ones. Gamlin's VF-22 has light grey intake covers in the pics but the toy has intake covers that match the body color of the plane. If you look very closely you can see the YF-21 was used and repainted cause the blues shows on the elbow scratches :lol: The v2 1/60 VF-1S Roy Strike has smaller skull stickers on the strike pack and thicker panel lines.

Every single Yamato box is full of inaccuracies!!! Even the blue slid of the weathered 1/48 Roy has a white blue print of a v1 1/60 VF.

The same happens with the advertisements, they never use a production samle for the pics B))

no.

You sir, have hit the nail on it :lol:

Every single Yamato box is full of inaccuracies!!! Even the blue slid of the weathered 1/48 Roy has a white blue print of a v1 1/60 VF.

The same happens with the advertisements, they never use a production samle for the pics B))

well, this is the reason they always includes the clause "Finished product may not look identical to what they show in the box arts".

It makes sense because you are not able to get production sample picture for advertisement and box art design. It'd be too late when you finally get production sample to do that. And you can't run 1 or even 100 pieces in low volumen from assebly line.

well, this is the reason they always includes the clause "Finished product may not look identical to what they show in the box arts".

It makes sense because you are not able to get production sample picture for advertisement and box art design. It'd be too late when you finally get production sample to do that. And you can't run 1 or even 100 pieces in low volumen from assebly line.

Exactly ^_^

I'm %100 sure we'll get the unpainted canopy/diecast, and that is absolutely great in my book cause it's like getting the early prototypes we see in the magazines!!!

I already have one planned custom and I'll leave another completely stripped.

If its just as what the pics indicate, then I'll paint it in

Gundam

color style :lol: .

Sacrilage! :lol: .......but interesting. ^_^ Make sure to post pics.

Think so too... it is listed seperately from the orginal announced one, and for this one, the price is.... *drum roll* 5800 yen!

Downside, you've gotta self assemble (i think), but that would make alot of sense to customisers who would take apart a valk for painting and other customization as well

Edit: Ok.... crap.... its an online exclusive.

Edited by BlueMax

Think so too... it is listed seperately from the orginal announced one, and for this one, the price is.... *drum roll* 5800 yen!

Downside, you've gotta self assemble (i think), but that would make alot of sense to customisers who would take apart a valk for painting and other customization as well

Edit: Ok.... crap.... its an online exclusive.

Yup, too bad it will be an exclusive <_< looked good for spare parts too.

agreed, but I still hope the metal get primed to paint matched the body, that's the 2% change I hope.

p046.jpg

This looks like the kit, no?

Edited by GGemini