Yamato 1/60 Non-Canon Color VF-1's

CF18

The only reason I would argue FOR the website exclusive on the unfinished pure white valk is because I can't see it ever being a successful toy through standard retail channels. Retailers wouldn't want to stock this model-like toy (outside of the mega model/toy retailers) and as such the orders to Yamato would be tiny. If Yamato gets rid of those retailers and keeps the mark-up themselves then they can theoretically stay profitable while producing roughly HALF the number of units through the exclusive channel.

I see that you now worry for Yamato, not for your wallet. :rolleyes:

As a counter argument, I would have bought more than one if it's the "regular price" merchandize; and only one or even none if it's web exclusive. (For the same yen price, a regular item is 40% cheaper than a web exclusive one in where I live.)

It's not that I'm arguing FOR Yamato, I'm arguing for the existence of the toy. I don't think the toy could sale at the volume necessary for non-exclusive retail sales. Since Yamato couldn't possible sale this blank and not totally assembled toy for the same price as a fully assembled toy (because potential consumers have the option of buying fully assembled toys and would typically choose those over a blank unassembled toy) the web exclusive price would probably be at most 70% of a standard release available at your local supplier. So, to you, in the end, since you're outside of Japan you'd still end up paying about the same price as a traditional release. This means your argument that you would have bought more as a traditional retail item doesn't really make sense (unless you see a large amount of value added by having Yamato finish the toy and use a fancy box). I'm sure the majority of customizers for macross products live within Japan so it's not a big loss to you (since you'd be essentially paying the same price) and it's a bigger benefit to the majority.

Here's the math:

Yamato Exclusive "Customizer Edition" partially assembled all blank valk at Yamato members price $70

Mark up for finders fee: $20-$30

Shipping: $20?

You pay: $110-$120

Yamato Retail "Arctic Edition" fully assembled white VF-1 $90

Shipping: $20?

You pay: $110

So, the "web exclusive" route would be about the same price but wouldn't come in a cool box, would not be fully assembled, would allow Yamato to make much fewer and still have it be a viable product, and would cost the Yamato's major market $25 less then standard releases.

The problem with your logic is that you're GREATLY underestimating how much of a mark up a third party importer is going to charge for these web shop exclusives. an online import retailer is going to charge at least a 100% mark up or more over the webshop price. just look at the bandai exclusives. a Ghost+weapon set sold for about $50 at on bandai's web shop, and cost $95 dollars through OD.

so here's the math in reality:

customizable VF-1 web shop price: $70

importers markup: $70

shipping: $30 (that's what OD charges me for shipping anyways)

total: $170

Retail VF-1: $75-$100

shipping: 30

total: $105-130

At that point I'd rather buy a hikaru VF-1A/J/S on sale, rip it apart myself and save myself $50-$70.

The problem with your logic is that you're GREATLY underestimating how much of a mark up a third party importer is going to charge for these web shop exclusives. an online import retailer is going to charge at least a 100% mark up or more over the webshop price. just look at the bandai exclusives. a Ghost+weapon set sold for about $50 at on bandai's web shop, and cost $95 dollars through OD.

At that point I'd rather buy a hikaru VF-1A/J/S on sale, rip it apart myself and save myself $50-$70.

I believe that is pretty much the case as far as mark-up is concerned.

Additionally, this is also assuming that Yamato will lower the MSRP for this, which I very much doubt.

Instead, I think yamato should retail this through the usual channels, as our best chance for reasonably priced valks is through this, but to make this product work, maybe they can use some marketing spin on it. Instead of a "blank", market/ advertise it as some prototype variant or something (when all us fans know it is actually/ essentially a blank valk... if they can manage to convince us otherwise, even better: See VF-11C....well , not exactly, but pretty much a blank if not for the new toolings on the mould used).

Besides, if Yamato's web shop proves and they decide to go for it in future for everything else just because it is built to order (0 wastage) and they can charge full MSRP for it.... we have everything to lose and if that day should ever come, it will be a dark day for macross fans outside of Japan indeed..

Edit: Maybe this is the way that Yamato is keeping prices down for us out of Japan.... other than outright lowering the MSRP.

Edited by BlueMax

No one would be able to sell my fake valk at a huge mark-up because everyone would do what you're saying you would do. Why would you or anyone pay MORE for this blank valk then you would a completely finished valk? It doesn't make sense. So, the customizers in Japan could get the toy on the cheap and the people who would usually mark-up these web exclusives will quickly find that they can't mark them up very much at all. Inevitably some customizer in Japan who does things for their passion of customizing would help people outside of Japan get these toys for a much more modest mark-up just to cover everyone's costs.

The same thing goes for Yamato's own asking price. Yamato couldn't possibly ask the same MSRP for an unfinished valk that they charge for their polished final product. People would line up in droves to pay full MSRP on finished toys, no one would line up to pay full MSRP on some unfinished toy thrown in a plain brown box. It doesn't make sense. They would HAVE to lower the asking price. I think the $70 mark makes sense because that tends to be the sale price of completed Yamato v2 toys (so honestly, it's probably a little high for what the unfinished toy would cost).

There's no way that you have to worry that Yamato would go to a completely web-based purchase system. It makes no economic sense. Exclusives are good for selling toys that appeal to a tiny fraction of the fanbase (like unfinished toys in a plain brown box). Exclusives are TERRIBLE for selling toys with broad appeal. There's a good reason stores exist and it's not just because they existed before the Internet.

Much I would like your theory to prove correct, but the chances are probably higher that they will ship this valk (if ever as a blank) as a pre-assembled one. if they launch it as a web exclusive, the run will probably be very very small, and by the time it finds its way into foreign hands, the prices would have been marked-up just simply because it is rare.... in other words, it will probably become a true collectors' item... and you would probably score it 5/5 based on collectibility just based on its rarity alone :)

Like I said, I'm all for lower prices and lower MSRP would really be nice, even if I have to assemble it myself, but web exclusives are more likely to work against us than for us.

Well yes, if we move my idea of a partially assembled toy aside, and instead consider an "arctic VF-1S" completely made and finished toy, there's no doubt that would cost a ton more as a web exclusive than as a regular release. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see that really happen. I still think it'd be more likely Yamato will just release a completely finished all white valk as a regular release and make customizers pay full retail.

Hey Jenius,

Looks like your wish came true, partly at least. MSRP @ 7900 Yen compared to 9800 yen for the other standard releases. Web exclusive as well, Build to Order. We'll just have to see how much it costs by the time it reaches our hands....

http://www.yamato-toys.com/items/detail.php?gid=1519

Write up roughly translated:

1 / 60 Perfect Transformation VF-1S unpainted Ver.

Mon 12 Ships 2009

Tentative price 8,295 yen (Price: 7,900 yen)

About Pre-painted things continue at 10 years. Try this, put on the paint "unpainted version" will be released. While recent years have left the model, giving the buyer the freedom to paint and marking it "fun to tinker with things," "making fun" is to express. Minutes has richly painted, of course, we've set a reasonable price, unlike what affordable. Takashi responsibility even if we assume no failure, the Note.

â—† first attempt

Unpainted. Say that it can make their own. Away from the challenges of the current model, as the first bullet "making fun" and we will provide in order to find again.

â—† Makingudekaru

The paint will not be painted as a finished product is able to reproduce the body of each character "decal" included in the new! ! Please customize their favorite aircraft.

â–  Materials: Body / ABS, POM, zinc alloy, etc.

â–  Product Size: When Fighter / total length of about 25cm

â–  Package area: closed box

■ Package size: H280mm × W325mm × D105mm

■ Accessories: Misairupoddo × 4 / 3 type missile sequence × 4 / Ganpoddo / no moving parts right circle wrist × 2set / pilot figure (for the cockpit) / attachment for Makurosusutando (Fighter & sharing Walk Gadgets × 1, for Battroid × 1) / fixed attachment arm for Kokupitto・Kapuseru / Makingusutekka / Makingudekaru / Manual

※ Photo is a sample. Actual product may differ slightly.

© 1982 Bikkuuesuto

Hey Jenius,

Looks like your wish came true, partly at least. MSRP @ 7900 Yen compared to 9800 yen for the other standard releases. Web exclusive as well, Build to Order. We'll just have to see how much it costs by the time it reaches our hands....

Sorry... But where did they say it's web exclusive?

See, if they hadn't even bothered assembling it and put it in a plain brown box it would have definitely been even cheaper. It seems like this is not an exclusive, the advertisement there says Shop Yahoo so it's a winning situation for everyone. Cheaper valk + no "finders fee" mark up = win for everyone who wants one.

Despite the awful photoshop done to the promotion pics, this VF-1S will be mine!!!

Wonder how the final product will actually look like. What color will the canopy frame be (white, black, grey)? Will it have any black markings?

See, if they hadn't even bothered assembling it and put it in a plain brown box it would have definitely been even cheaper. It seems like this is not an exclusive, the advertisement there says Shop Yahoo so it's a winning situation for everyone. Cheaper valk + no "finders fee" mark up = win for everyone who wants one.

What exactly is this "Shop Yahoo" thing help anyone?

http://store.shopping.yahoo.co.jp/yamato-toys/guide.html

We do not accept international orders, and do not deliver overseas.

Edited by CF18

Then I take it all back, worst of all worlds. It's an exclusive AND a finished product... at least they were nice enough to mark it down a little bit. Still, wish they just put it in a plain brown box and didn't assemble it and charged less. c'est le vie

EDIT - I don't know what mark-up OD will charge, and what's reasonable is up to you, but I've used OD on a TON of exclusive items now and I can definitely vouch for them as being extremely trustworthy.

Edited by jenius

Difficult to get or not, the fact that Yamato is willing to do something like this for the fans -- even just in Japan -- is a welcome surprise. Sure it fits their love of milking a mold but, show of hands here folks (and be honest now :p), how many of us actually believed Yamato would bother with a 'blank' proper 1/60 Valk expressly aimed at customizers? I'll note my hand is down, this is a real unexpected delight for me, but I'll freely admit to not having been in the market for Yamato products very long at all, so my understanding of their practices is necessarily limited.

Meanwhile, if OD or anyone else in the community can get a hold of some of these things for distribution to we poor collectors outside of Japan, mark-up or no, I'll be tossing them money with the rest of you. Even unpainted the blank Valk looks pretty badass, so I won't feel like a complete idiot for buying one and being too afraid to take paint to it myself. :lol:

Alright so I've been emailing Joseph Tsai (Tokyo Hunter) and with shipping to me he has given me a quote of 16,500 yen. 13,000 yen is his quoted price without shipping for those not in Nor-Cal. I have of course asked his permission to post this here. Check out his page if you want (here). I have not yet used his service so I can't really review and/or critique it but I've seen him recommended on several occasions on other boards.

Now I'm going to have to decide if I want this just to leave it white and because of the exclusivity of it. Obviously it's not worth all the associated cost just to repaint the damn thing. Not too much time either...