Yamato $2000 DYRL MACROSS

EXO

I say just wait until someone in HK or Singapore buys one and decides to make a 'simpler' recast version of the Yammy SDF-1 at a more affordable cost.. Give it time..It is very likely to happen.

I say just wait until someone in HK or Singapore buys one and decides to make a 'simpler' recast version of the Yammy SDF-1 at a more affordable cost.. Give it time..It is very likely to happen.

This is like waiting for the bootleg of your dream Toyota to come on the market :)

I'm gonna wait for Yamato to make a proper SDF-1 if it's all the same :)

Pete

Fair enough, but i'm still amazed that they were taken by surprise that their factories couldn't produce this figure properly.

I'm also amazed that factories 20 years ago were able to create Fortress Maximus, a 2 foot tall robot that transformed into a space station, and sell it for roughly $1900 less (let's say $1600 for the sake of inflation today). I'm still skeptical, but whatever, let's see what else they come up with.

I'm also amazed that factories 20 years ago were able to create Fortress Maximus, a 2 foot tall robot that transformed into a space station, and sell it for roughly $1900 less (let's say $1600 for the sake of inflation today). I'm still skeptical, but whatever, let's see what else they come up with.

Yeah, and my car is made of Fortress Maximus grade plastic....

Seriously though - the comparisson is kind of off-kilter.

The pictures we've seen do not do justice to what Yamato wanted to do in terms of a finished product - I'm sure of that.

The interior of that leg- Macross city - was going to be PERFECTLY painted. Just like the version 2.0 valkyrie have excellent tampoo printings and markings. We were going to get an anime accurate PAINTED mass produced city inside the Macross.

We were going to get well crafted and well painted 1/2000 scale valkyrie and destroids.

We were going to get Bridge antenna and wires like we saw in DYRL.

Fortress Maximus was just a lumbering big piece of plastic with NO panel lining and scant detail - REALLY scant detail.

The amount of detailing on Yamato's Macross products is so far superior and an SDF-1 in this scale would certainly be super detailed.

Going off the unpainted, unfinished pictures we've seen - you might think it looks simple, lacking in detail and effectively "easy" to mass produce.

But try to imagine for a second what that thing would look like if it was ready to go out into the world...

Pete

I don't think it was a case of "couldn't make this happen" but, being an accountant, probably more likely a case where the accountants won. I imagine they did up their prototype, it was super awesome, and some of the cooler heads thought "A lot of people want SDF-1 toys and this is going to be too big and too expensive for them." So, the cooler heads probably started designing a smaller scale SDF-1 toy that would be more in line of the cost of Yamato's ordinary releases ($100-$200). The camp working on the super scale super expensive toy seem to have then run into problems where they over-designed the toy and would need to be made with more but smaller pieces and the expense kept escalating.

In the meantime, the camp working on the smaller scale toy probably made great progress and started showing a really promising toy that would work for a ton of people. Suddenly the huge SDF-1 didn't seem at all worth the additional cost and the accountants said "profit margin x units sold = yay". Rather than scrap the 1/2000 they said "Hey, for our folks who worked on it and those few who it did appeal to, we'll make some available rather than leaving it as a one-off display piece for our corporate headquarters."

OK, had a long talk on the phone with Yamato last night and here's what I was told.

• 1 The $2,000 SDF-1 is an exact replica of Yamato’s prototype and is being marketed as such. It is neither a toy, or a model kit per say.

**So this is basically an artist(s)' proof. Not really to the point of being a model, but basically it is.

• 2 Each one is being individually built by the prototype maker, not mass produced in a Chinese toy factory. This is why the high cost. I was told that it can often cost a million yen getting prototypes made. Yamato will only be having a small run of these made and had to negotiate quite hard with the maker to get the price they did.

**Why not ship it off to G-System? They can easily make a 4-foot gundam with an overwhelming number of parts and options and still keep it far below Yamato's price point. If possible, the item can be sold through G-System and royalties can be paid to Yamato. Licensing has already been paid for via Yamato. They're just outsourcing and having it distributed via the manufacturer.

• 3 It will be sold unpainted.

** $2K for a proof? Seems ridiculously priced.

• 4 It will be sold partially assembled. The major sub-assemblies, such as the ARMDs, body, legs, etc will be pre-assembled and then the customer just has to bolt everything together.

**Why not break it down to smaller assemblies so it can be produced in machine molds? The body can be broken down further, just as, the arms, legs and main-canon.

• 5 The joints will be ratchet joints and will be made of hard nylon for durability.

**Why not save this for a mass produced toy?

• 6 The main material IIRC is High Density Polyethylene (HDP), which has excellent tensile strength and impact resistance. I was told it is 6 times stronger than the type of resin used for garage kits. As mentioned, HDP is widely used on cars.

**Refer back to aforementioned answers.

• 7 Why are Yamato even selling this? – Well, when they originally had the prototype made, Yamato thought that it would be possible to produce it in ABS at a lower cost. Unfortunately, with the tooling limitations of the toy factories they use, it was not possible to mass produce it. So rather than scrap the whole project and write it off as a loss, they decided to still offer it to those hard-core fans who just had to have a large scale SDF-1.

**The price point itself will scare off most customers and being that it would have to be produced on a pay-first-then-produce format there is nothing here that shows true potentional for sales. This is basically killing off something that could have been great.

• 8 For those wanting a smaller, more affordable SDF-1, I’ll just say that patience is a virtue and the virtuous are often rewarded.

**F@#$ making it smaller. I've already seen the 1/2000 toy and I want it...not as a proof, or model, or anything else.

And yes, for those curious, I have been offered one and call me crazy, but I will probably turn it down, as a) it's too big for my shoebox sized Hong Kong appartment and b) I'd honestly feel guilty about accepting such an expensive gift for free.

**It takes a big man to turn down something so trully awesome. Good for you, Graham.

Graham

**Thanks for info, but this is really dissapointing and unacceptable.

That's a harsh assesment. I know in manufacturing that there are instances where designs lie between mass-production quality and art-house quality, so they release limited amounts. Its sort of like back w hen hybrid cars were rare, they still made em because people wanted them, no matter that back in the 90's Toyota sold like 10k hybrids. If there's a costumer for something, then someones gonna sell it.

>BAAAAWWWWWW, being physically impossible and economically unfeasible aren't valid enough reasons why my totally unrealistic demands can't be met!

:rolleyes:

ITT: people who don't understand the realities of economics and engineering, and that businesses are not charitable organizations.

ITT: people who don't understand the realities of economics and engineering, and that businesses are not charitable organizations.

This... a hundred percent this. nmb4m, your post is full of nonsense. The monstrosity wasn't viable... end of discussion. The fact that they're trying to swing some sort of product for the ultra-dedicated is commendable and completely unprecedented (that I know of).

I agree with Jenus here. There's usually more than one prototype or design in the works - maybe real soon Yamato will surprise us with something smaller but more feasable.

The one thing from the big one that I really wanted was a fully painted Macross city.

Pete

Meh.

If people think the bitching and complaining is bad because Yamato DIDN'T release this to the general public...

Imagine just how many "screw you Yamato!" threads there would have been if Yamato HAD released it, and it started breaking in people's hands :)

If anything - this is a QC victory - they concluded it wouldn't work...yet. Back to the drawing board.

Good. Bravo.

Like Graham said - be patient.

I for instance am holding out for a 1:1 Minmei android who does everything we possibly could dream of :)

Pete

This and i guess im the only one but im happy with my wave!!!

a scale close to the quarter is fine by me but I dont want a movie version I want a tv version.

I think its ridiculous wanting a toy that big. Why not make ideon that large or Aquarion or Voltron. Its rather silly and greedy i think. Im glad they backed off

Edited by nugundamII

Wow, talk about having the "wool pulled over your eyes".

I am not going to claim that I am in the toy industry and understand every aspect of it, but I will say this; when it comes to a sale and you know you can sell a lot of units and still make a profit (be it small and looking at the bigger picture) it would be best to do what it takes to make it happen. If it can't be done at at an attractive an end user price point then why bother making it at all.

If the toy is within our grasp, why pull it farther away by placing a ludicrious price on it.

Lets pretend here that they made it. If in so they did then not only will it cost more then 2grand but if it's close to 5 ft tall imagine the difficulty and stress, you and many people will go through to bring that to you or to even carry that to the post office to pick it up because of its immense size.

so...Yamato makes 1/60 or 1/48 or whatever and decide to engineer small moving fragile parts and we have to deal with it cause of the size, and then they move to a humongous 1/2000 SDF-1 with moving parts so big and heavy that need a harder/expensive/special resin material to hold themself...

to me, it seems kind of STUPID and RETARDED, figure out a way to make moving parts in a proper resistant size, seriously...

anyway, Graham, any possibility that if Yamato makes a production version later, we could see it TV style?

so...Yamato makes 1/60 or 1/48 or whatever and decide to engineer small moving fragile parts and we have to deal with it cause of the size, and then they move to a humongous 1/2000 SDF-1 with moving parts so big and heavy that need a harder/expensive/special resin material to hold themself...

to me, it seems kind of STUPID and RETARDED, figure out a way to make moving parts in a proper resistant size, seriously...

anyway, Graham, any possibility that if Yamato makes a production version later, we could see it TV style?

they should make a 1/1000 instead of 2000 or at least a 60 or 48

<Sigh> Not this again. :rolleyes:

(Hey! Why's my 1/60 VF-0S so much bigger than a 1/48 VF-1?)

I've still got this sneaking suspicion that Yamato's trying to hit us with "sticker shock" now. So that when they do finally unveil their smaller, mass production version, we won't think twice about a $500 price tag. <_<

Also, I wonder if making the 1/2000 version out of less expensive materials such as ABS or regular plastic ratchet joints (instead of nylon) would help to lower the costs? (I'm no plastics expert. So please, go gentle if you have to rake me over the coals for my ignorance.)

In any case, let's wait and see what develops.

•Why are Yamato even selling this? – Well, when they originally had the prototype made, Yamato thought that it would be possible to produce it in ABS at a lower cost. Unfortunately, with the tooling limitations of the toy factories they use, it was not possible to mass produce it. So rather than scrap the whole project and write it off as a loss, they decided to Release a limited run to cover the costs for R&D and prototypes, knowing they could still offer it to those hard-core fans who just had to have a large scale SDF-1.

From a fan's PoV:

Knowing it's possible but not feasable is one thing

Knowing it's possible, feasable, but unobtainable sucks balls

Like the 1/60 monster, they should've kept it vapourware

Edited by Nightbat

the pricing is ridiculous, all they're stuff is overpriced but yamato and their vendors know something that you all haven't figured out yet....

THEY CAN CHARGE AS MUCH AS THEY WANT FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYONE STILL LINES UP TO BUY IT.

its not so much that they're greedy or anything, its just most of us are stupid and haven't set any limitations on what were willing to spend on one of their toys. you can't blame them because we have little to no self control and its been like that since they started producing macross toys...dudes lining up to get reamed in their anus.

as long as you're willing to bend over for them and their vendors, they're going to continue to pump you in the bum.

i love the series, i love their toys, but my ass has been way too sore for way too long.

i mean every time i purchase one of their toys, i can barely walk the next day!

no thanks as usual yamato but don't worry, you have tons of 'catchers' that will continue to have anal with you as long as you keep pitchin!

the pricing is ridiculous, all they're stuff is overpriced but yamato and their vendors know something that you all haven't figured out yet....

THEY CAN CHARGE AS MUCH AS THEY WANT FOR ANYTHING AND EVERYONE STILL LINES UP TO BUY IT.

its not so much that they're greedy or anything, its just most of us are stupid and haven't set any limitations on what were willing to spend on one of their toys. you can't blame them because we have little to no self control and its been like that since they started producing macross toys...dudes lining up to get reamed in their anus.

as long as you're willing to bend over for them and their vendors, they're going to continue to pump you in the bum.

i love the series, i love their toys, but my ass has been way too sore for way too long.

no thanks as usual yamato but don't worry, you have tons of 'catchers' that will continue to have anal with you as long as you keep pitchin!

teehee funny

Be prepared to be flamed now as you are on a board that drools with anything labeled Yamato and a board thats owned by yamato. But good point. I really like their New Ingram Line. But come on 400 plus. Seriously. And yet they ask you to self repair it. Double face palm.....Thats why waiting on the cheaper blue version and I will still shop around to see if its cheaper. However i think im going to pick up the PG Red Astray instead

Lets pretend here that they made it. If in so they did then not only will it cost more then 2grand but if it's close to 5 ft tall imagine the difficulty and stress, you and many people will go through to bring that to you or to even carry that to the post office to pick it up because of its immense size.

??? What are you talking about??? :blink:

teehee funny

Be prepared to be flamed now as you are on a board that drools with anything labeled Yamato and a board thats owned by yamato. But good point. I really like their New Ingram Line. But come on 400 plus. Seriously. And yet they ask you to self repair it. Double face palm.....Thats why waiting on the cheaper blue version and I will still shop around to see if its cheaper. However i think im going to pick up the PG Red Astray instead

This board is not owned by Yamato. Yamato bought ad space on the board and hooks Graham up with the inside scoop but there's a big difference there.

dudes lining up to get reamed in their anus.

This made my day.. thank you.. lol..

That guy's obviously nursing a grudge.

not at all. for the most part i think yamato makes awesome toys. i still own quite a few of them and enjoy staring at them with a rare swoosh or transformation in between.

in reality, i speak the truth because for the past however many years, we've all been walking around bowlegged and butt hurt but somehow we're always ready for another pounding from yours truly....

more yamato more, those pics are making me cum!

faster yamato faster, you know i'll pay any sum!

again yamato again, i love it in my bum!

you've had your cock in my the ass since 2001!

not at all. for the most part i think yamato makes awesome toys. i still own quite a few of them and enjoy staring at them with a rare swoosh or transformation in between.

in reality, i speak the truth because for the past however many years, we've all been walking around bowlegged and butt hurt but somehow we're always ready for another pounding from yours truly....

more yamato more, those pics are making me cum!

faster yamato faster, you know i'll pay any sum!

again yamato again, i love it in my bum!

you've had your cock in my the ass since 2001!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: