Macross 7: First time to view the series

Lethalzero

as a growing kid. i never had any chance of watching Macross saga except for Robotech ( <_< i know) re runs every 5 pm..

so know after long years of fascination with enough money on the pocket.. i started to relive an old passion..Valks.Macross

enough of the drama :lol:

so what should i be expecting in this series...

but i loled at the new star of the series a singing male ala Lyn minmei xD

its a bit off track but still being a macross fan at heart i think it deserve an audience ^_^

Basara is a combination of hikaru (the spiky hair) and max (the glasses) in look.

Unlike max he is very angry that the military uses weapons instead of music.

Unlike Hikaru he is not in love with any of the girls.

Like Minmay he sings, but it's rock. That's the good thing if you are a male who has issues with a a guy singing love songs to aliens.

I think he is pretty cool character, but this series is focused more on him, and his reasons for singing. So it might take longer to get started compared to other shows imo. It's like how the new batman movies are character studies and less about actions and stunts and fighting. (ie macross plus) I think there is less emotional charge in this show than others. But more excitement in the way basara outdoes the PD and is able to pretty much fly into danger without using harmful methods. There is combat in it, but I would say that since it is not the focus you'll see a lot of repeating animation.

The music is very good. Not as much drama. Mech design is high visibility and you'll find it different since the character is trying to attract attention to draw enemy focus away (kind of like Jazz in G1 transformers :D) from civilians while the military concentrate on fighting using normal methods.

Monsters: they are a bit cartoonish. They have enormous powers. So powerful they frighten Exedol who cowers at the sight of them. :D Although having said that he is scared of culture shock in the first tv series as well..

Overall the tone is lighter than other shows. This might not appeal to older fans who expected more of a SDFM show.

One thing a lot of people have said about basara's character is that they kinda respect his bravery for doing what he does despite not being a big fan of the idea that you can't use weapons to fight things. There are many ways of fighting, and it doesn't have to be violent. I think shoji kawamori wanted to throw a gandhi type figure in macross who is a pacifist to teach kids that "guns are bad mmmkay?" But to a lot of non-idealistic cynical adults that feels a little bit preachy? (maybe why americans who are gun owners don't like macross 7 as much? heh) Really though he doesn't care if the military do their job or try to stop them from fighting their way, just demonstrates that he can succeed without use of deadly weapons in hopes others will see him use the non-violent method. My main gripe is how he hogs the whole show and in a way we are used to seeing characters 'grow' and 'develop' but basara isn't like that: he just IS. Sorta like "Nobody understand him, so lets make this whole tv show an explanation of what basara is all about, yet not tell us who his parents are, what his hobbies are besides music, why his skills with a valkyrie are so good, and how he can fly with a guitar controller"

You just got to accept that the show is all about basara and his music. And you have to assume his way is the only way since the PD are far ahead of UN in terms of power. You will appreciate the phrase "Listen to my song." Military is pretty much useless without him. In the same way that if superman wasn't around to save loise lane, she'd have been dead long ago.

Fans of weapons have issues with macross 7. :D

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I recommend:

Macross 7 Encore: Fleet of the Strongest Women.

Zentrans have their Idols, Meltrans have their Rockstars.

Macross 7 Movie : The Galaxy is Calling Me

Max and Millia's giant fifth daughter Emilia, who kinda look like her when she was younger.

Macross Dynamite 7 OVA

Post Macross 7, Basara wanders the galaxy again and meets space pirates, a female alien cop, a alien loli, their giant father and Space Whales.

Basara just rock :> he's uber determinated to elevate his music to higher lvl xD

The best advice I can give on Mac7 is, "Be patient."

All but the most ferocious Mac7 fans would agree that she show gets off to a slow start. But it gains power as it goes along (it still remains pretty goofy throughout, though).

And don't expect many spectacular mecha scenes.

Yes, be patient. I thought it was very repetitive, cheesy and had horrible animation. The mech battles are laughable. If you're looking for action, this series does satisfy. Almost every episode went like this: 1. fire bomber practicing or in concert, 2. PD fold in for attack, 3. Basara flies in and sings for them, 4. PD fold out.

That said, after finishing the series, I grew to like and enjoy the characters. Although I will never respect Basara as a top caliber pilot, I was thoroughly entertained by him. I really liked Gamlin with his determination and dedication even though he wasn't too sharp in other ways.

I personally didn't care for this series, but I did find it enjoyable in some ways and it is Macross. So, if you're a Macross fan you should check it out. And if you like Frontier, you'll be able to appreciate the M7 references in it.

The best advice I can give on Mac7 is, "Be patient."

All but the most ferocious Mac7 fans would agree that she show gets off to a slow start. But it gains power as it goes along (it still remains pretty goofy throughout, though).

And don't expect many spectacular mecha scenes.

Why we need spectacular mecha battles when we have Basara spectacular singing ?

This is me as me not as a moderator.

I like SuperRobot shows. I watch SuperRobot shows for SuperRobot shows. I don't watch Macross for SuperRobot shows. I dislike Macross 7 and Basara, I don't own a gun, and I've always said that a certain friend could speak for me during M7 debates here. To quote him from a recent discussion:

F**** mecha with tits man.. How retarded.

Nevermind sh!t like flying planes with a guitar, or the pink pecker squadron, or Max in a dress, or the stupid parasitic enemy who feeds on song energy.

If Kawamori hadn't redeemed himself with Zero I would have kicked him in the nuts for M7.

Jesus, you got me all worked up again. SNIPPED

I've watched the whole fracking series 3x to see if multiple viewings would change my mind. Nope. If it wasn't for the military valks, and I will say the songs are pretty good jpop, I wouldn't dislike the show I would hate it.

"What should i expect from Basara ?"

A "LISTEN TO MY SONG !!!" every five minutes.

Indeed.

snips from my fic Frak Deculture:

Cylon Refugee Baseship

The Cylon humanoid models admit inside the basestar’s hanger their giant savior.

But they are uncertain of what it is and who they are dealing with.

The humanoid machine then transforms into a hybrid mode of a fighter. Lowering its nose section the cockpit opens revealing a man with small spectacles and unruly hair. Having what looks like a guitar of some sort.

“Who the hell are you?” asks Natalie Six

The man doesn’t understand her language but he did get her meaning.

“NEKKI BASARA! Ore no Uta wa Kike!” Then he starts singing again

Meanwhile on City 7

“That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever…” Baltar was about to say until he has heard the most terrible singing that he has ever heard.

Blasting his ears with loud noise

Okay it is starting Saturday night how are you guys doing?

Let’s stand up, do you feel the beat?

This is a flying paradise. A forgotten energy,

Now hurry up, and take it back.

No more wastin’ time! It’s like we’re in a dream.

Before everything gets swept away

Hey everybody! Aim at the light

Let’s dance Dancin’ on the Planet Dance

“Arrrggghhh Stop it!” Even Baltar can’t project with this noise. Where is Six when you need her?

“Boy…You people give some cruel and unusual punishment.” said Kara Thrace

The Colonials watch behind the glass mirror Baltar’s in agony with the song, much to their satisfaction. He always was a fan of Classical Caprican music anyway.

“Who is the singer?” asks Kara of Max and Millia, liking it

And here it comes... <_<

Don't you love it when you see it coming a mile away? :lol:

Dangard, thank you for finding this. My thoughts on M7 are pretty much like this :lol:

F**** mecha with tits man.. How retarded.

Nevermind sh!t like flying planes with a guitar, or the pink pecker squadron, or Max in a dress, or the stupid parasitic enemy who feeds on song energy.

If Kawamori hadn't redeemed himself with Zero I would have kicked him in the nuts for M7.

Jesus, you got me all worked up again. SNIPPED

and

"What should i expect from Basara ?"

A "LISTEN TO MY SONG !!!" every five minutes.

Well, I'm sure your daddy have one explaining why you dislike M7 so much.

Really? Your reasoning for my father owning a gun would be? Think carefully now before submitting baseless accusations that could be misconstrued as something else. Look at my Group and look at the MW rules before going further.

My two cents, and a Petite Cola:

Slow start. Sad, but true. You WILL be tired of Planet Dance before it goes anywhere.

Basara is freaking annoying. And he gets no character development. Mylene and Gamlin are FAR more interesting lead characters, despite their secondary status. Just focusing more on them would've made the show a LOT better.

The show totally crashes after Operation Stargazer. But it's almost over at that point, so ride it out.

It features a few interesting concepts, but they're poorly handled.

Macross 7 is an OK show. It could've been a great one, but... it's not. I've seen FAR worse, though.

Focus on Mylene and Gamlin. Pretend Basara is a secondary character. And pace yourself. Don't try to plow through it too fast, or you'll wind up stabbing yourself in the face.

Oh, at least say SOMETHING. Just don't go ranting. :)

Personally, I hate Basara. And the enemies are lame. But I like Mylene and Gamlin a lot. IMHO, the main problem is that the series focuses on the least-interesting aspects---Basara, Gigil, Sivil. The music's good, no doubt about it. Basara's great as a singer, few people disagree with that---most people just don't like his personality. Whereas Mylene can sing AND is cute. And Gamlin just rocks. (anyone trained by Milia and having her approval of piloting competance has to)

Just watch it. If you hate it, you hate it. If you like it, you like it.

But please, don't whine about it being so long. There are people out there currently watching some longer series, then watching M7 and whining about its length.

And, remember, listening to Fire Bomber mellows the effect of pineapples. :lol:

Although there are some homages to old tv series:

You get to see miria in flight suit piloting the vf-1.

Destroids are back and one old guy get to fire the monster cannon inside the ship. :D

Basara plays as hikaru from DYRL.

My fave characters were the biker babes onboard the ship. They don't really add anything to the story but it's like it is part of the atmosphere of the city. You actually get to see different characters beyond the main ones inside city 7. In frontier it seems they've only got time to show us the main ones only. Frontier is big. Maybe if it was 52 eps they would have had more time to show us the different people living in it? Take a break from the vajra and have a few eps on these background characters living inside the islands? Even the bridge bunnies got to go dancing with those spies in SDFM and have fun.

The overall tone of the show is it's a more fun relaxing show. Frontier is going back to the roots of macross and the war in space and how it is dangerous with aliens that are quite scary and mysterious. Macross 7 has less of that drama and more humour. You'll be kinda freaked out how exedor must stick his giant head up through the floor. If that was real life I wouldn't want to be anywhere near him if he sneezed.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Basara plays as hikaru from DYRL.

People need to quit making reference to this. It is such a junk fact... Kawamori added this in to M7, 10 years later after DYRL was produced.

Slow start, ramps up as the show goes. It's by far my favorite series ever but it's definitely not for everyone.

One thing to understand is that Macross 7 focuses on the daily lives of the characters more than it does the overall story so you'll be hit with repetitive flying and singing sequences from episode to episode. Watch the show for the interactions between the cast and their wacky adventures during the first half of each episode. The second half is mostly there to fill out the rest of the show.

You'll probably enjoy it at first, however as time goes on you'll probably expect some kind of change. I saw it when it first aired, not too long after Macross Plus came out. I keep expecting the series to shift from Fire Bomber to the military, and it never really did. I think what really turned me off was the length of the series, plus I expected the series to shift focus and it didn't. The best way is to watch it with no expectations, and don't listen to what the Mac 7 haters (I happen to be one) say about Basara; just enjoy! ^_^

Slow start, ramps up as the show goes. It's by far my favorite series ever but it's definitely not for everyone.

One thing to understand is that Macross 7 focuses on the daily lives of the characters more than it does the overall story so you'll be hit with repetitive flying and singing sequences from episode to episode. Watch the show for the interactions between the cast and their wacky adventures during the first half of each episode. The second half is mostly there to fill out the rest of the show.

That is very true.

For the actual events of the war the series could be condensed down to about half of it's length, IMO.

I think Mac F did a better of job with the music, by introducing a new song every other episode it keeps the musical monotony down to a minimum.

Mac 7 is not a favorite for those who enjoy the Macross mecha pron! Unfortunately the suspension of disbelief and acceptance of the incredible was too often stretched to its limits...

I enjoyed Mylene the most and Basara the least.

i actually expects something new that is very ralated to macross saga..

About protoculture, its history, new knowledge,

ive watched zero and plus already.. and i definitely enjoyed them both..

especially zero..which i learned more of the protoculture ( was it MacZero, the birdman ?)

i am more interested in the continuity of the saga of macross..rather than the character details..

i started the first Episode actually, cool song btw, because its rock... and the diamond force/squad is cool too

So powerful they frighten Exedol who cowers at the sight of them. :D Although having said that he is scared of culture shock in the first tv series as well..

Give the old man a break, all he wants is to retire to some tropical planet and be surrounded by cute girls in bikinis.

Ya know what..Give it a try.

Some here like it, some here think it is the most pathetic thing ever.

I must abstain from giving you MY opinion.

Who are you and what have you done to our Agent ONE? -jk :lol:

Come on, tell us what's on your mind. Roy already is braced for it.

And Gamlin just rocks. (anyone trained by Milia and having her approval of piloting competance has to)

NOT IF THEY WRECK HER PLANE!

People need to quit making reference to this. It is such a junk fact... Kawamori added this in to M7, 10 years later after DYRL was produced.

Actually, it's junk for another reason.

Regardless of whether you think Kawamori should be allowed to make DYRL exist within the Macross universe, Basara isn't in DYRL.

He's in The Lynn Minmay Story, which is a DIFFERENT in-continuity movie about Space War 1. It seemed to be a lower-budget, "made for TV" type of thing than DYRL.