Macross 7: First time to view the series

Lethalzero

Did they ever say what the objective was...? I don't think they ever said how Ray even got the damn thing in the first place (apart from some vague "He had connections because he was in the Pink Pecker Squadron" excuse). I like Macross 7, but it's not strong on the hows and whys of almost anything in the backstory.

The implication is it's part of Project M, or another similar endeavor.

But clearly, what made him annoying was the fact that he treated Minmey's singing as a business rather than a cause. Sure, he did say "keep singing!" when the Zentrans attacked inside the Macross - another big up for him - but beyond that and the aforementioned Kung Fu scene - he seemed to be intent on just marketing Minmey as such. He didn't care about the people Minmey sang for and - especially in the period after Space Wars I ended, he became a drunk, violent, disrespectful... he had very much antipathy for people.

Also - he became a rabble rouser. He made his stand by rousing emotions of anger (not love) - anger towards the military, anger towards the government, anger towards soldiers.

Which is actually a fairly understandable, if distasteful, development.

He disliked the military intensely from the start.

The conclusion of SW1 was a huge shock to everyone, and it would be easy for him to blame the military he already disliked for everything that happened.

Especially since he wasn't there from the start of things. He can merrily conclude that the warriors aboard the Macross have been pushing and pushing and dammit the zentradi would've left us all alone if we hadn't started shooting at them, because he wasn't there for the "running away with our tail between our legs while they try to blast us to death" part.

Even BEFORE the end of SW1 he's speaking out against the war, though admittedly he wasn't inciting riots.

It was only right before the final battle that the reality of the situation impressed itself on him, and apparently it didn't impress itself very well. Just enough to get him to participate in the single most lopsided assault in all of military history.

Post-war, he extends his hatred to the military-controlled New UN.

i've recently finished watching M7 2nd time and i think this anime is perfectly suited for music fans ( not only rock'n'roll ). @_@

moments like

"It just takes one song of Rock and Roll

Echoing away into the sky

Off into the light of dawn

To make all your troubles start to...

melt all away~!"

I'm gonna move it today~!

The Mountain

The Galaxy

Listen to my song~!

are priceless xD that's why i love Macross 7

and all ppl that are against this series im always saying STFU and turning ignore mode on xD

Edited by crescens

Some parts were funny. Like when the barman says to Max that Mylene is too young, and Max answers: "she is my daughter". I think it would have been better if it were more realistic (like more people dying when the episode title says so) and just 25 episodes so it could develop faster.

Have to admit that I've had a really hard time getting into Macross 7... but I'm starting to, if not getting totally into it, at least thinking it's okay. I'm on episode 25 or 26 and it's finally starting to get decent. I'd read that a lot, actually- hang on until episode 20-something and it gets good.

I hope it keeps getting better- I want to like the show, I really do.

I actually think that Macross 7 is ingenious precisely because of the fact that rather than building up a large fan base, it is able to build up a large anti-pathy base.

I know there are some shows out there which people "love to hate," but usually they hate the show because it doesn't fulfill expectations; because it doesn't live up to the plot or spirit or whatever...

Macross 7 seems to be disliked because of the way it IS, not because of what it isn't.

So, you are in fact saying, that because lots of people dislike M7, that makes it success? Oh, I get it finally! Why so many defend a series which by any dispassionate review is sub par! Its good old fashioned martyrdom and elitism. Well, to each thier own. I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean that other people can't enjoy it.

Thank you, that's been bugging me for a while now.

Edited by Ork_dreadnought

To bastardise Basara:

"LISTEN TO MY BITCH, Bee-YOTCH!!!"

^_^

ahahahahaha :lol: i loled badly xD

anyways, for me M7 pwnz, if some1 think different im cool with this - not my problem D_D what i don't like is bitching w/o good reason xD

Edited by crescens

Have to admit that I've had a really hard time getting into Macross 7... but I'm starting to, if not getting totally into it, at least thinking it's okay. I'm on episode 25 or 26 and it's finally starting to get decent. I'd read that a lot, actually- hang on until episode 20-something and it gets good.

I hope it keeps getting better- I want to like the show, I really do.

I think that it DOES get better, but don't expect it to get super-serious and chock full o' mecha. It flirts with superseriousness AND mecha battles on occasion, but primarily, it remains a rather goofy show about a band.

No. GAMLIN is his bitch, not mylene. :lol:

he was annoying to some point but in the end he's ok i must say @_@

I've heard about this several times, but honestly I never noticed ^_^ ;;

When exactly was the music used? :huh:

The upbeat Wendy Rider song from the moon base festival scene was what the Jamming Birds tried to sing. I recall them singing it when they were training (jogging behind the jeep) and I think in a few space fight scenes for a short while before getting shoved aside by Fire Bomber.

The upbeat Wendy Rider song from the moon base festival scene was what the Jamming Birds tried to sing. I recall them singing it when they were training (jogging behind the jeep) and I think in a few space fight scenes for a short while before getting shoved aside by Fire Bomber.

A lot of background music from both II and Plus gets used as well. Primarily, "Scooper" gets played whenever there's a City 7 broadcast. The speakers on the farm ship playing "classical" music where actually playing Plus music ("Up in the air," I believe...).

A lot of background music from both II and Plus gets used as well. Primarily, "Scooper" gets played whenever there's a City 7 broadcast. The speakers on the farm ship playing "classical" music where actually playing Plus music ("Up in the air," I believe...).

Well the plus music was very easy to notice. Heck the very first thing you hear after the opening in the first episode is the macross national anthem from plus...

Guess I'm just not as knowledgeable when it comes to Macross II. :unsure:

I also enjoy the people complaining about Bassara because it reminds me of the characters in Macross 7 always complaining about Basara :)

So true to life! :)

Pete

Its like the writers knew they were creating an abomination.

The Jamming Birds and their uselessness FTW. Just an example of the usage of Macross II music. Oh, and Miria's presidential campaign short. The humor in how the music is used almost perfectly describes what I believe is SK's view of Macross II.

Ok, stop.. Rewrite this. You may have an interesting ides, or you may be out of your mind.. I can't tell. It makes no sense.

he was annoying to some point but in the end he's ok i must say @_@

"bitch", meaning that Basara PWNED gamlin on a regular basis. and even despite that, gamlin looks up to basara halfway through the series, and sometimes goes against mylene to side with basara's point of view.

clearly, gamlin IS basara's bitch. :lol:

You know Vrlitwhai and Exsedol being shocked at the Shao Pai Long charcter of Kaifun throwing a energy blast. Making Exsedol think that is how the omni-directional barrier worked just amuses me.

Irony is that 34-35 years later a real pacifist with star power came emmiting an energy beam and barrier that can withstand a SD energy canon.

Kaifun is a phony while Basara is the real thing.

You know Vrlitwhai and Exsedol being shocked at the Shao Pai Long charcter of Kaifun throwing a energy blast. Making Exsedol think that is how the omni-directional barrier worked just amuses me.

Irony is that 34-35 years later a real pacifist with star power came emmiting an energy beam and barrier that can withstand a SD energy canon.

Kaifun is a phony while Basara is the real thing.

hmmm... now that you mention it. i'm surprised exedole didn't lash out at max: "i knew it! you lied! you did have that power all along!"

nevertheless, that's not a fair analogy. whenever you put kaifun and basara in the same sentence, basara comes out as 100% the best character/hero ever. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to watch Macross 7 for the very first time over the last week. I started out mostly unspoiled on the show, but have avoided it all this time because flying a valkyrie with a guitar was too much for my brain to handle. I tried to be objective as a Macross fan ("tried" is the operative keyword there). I watched episodes 1-49 and briefly skimmed over the other episodes, as they weren't central to the plot.

Review thoughts (potential spoilers):

1. Wanted to rip my ears off after the first episode. This is a very unique reaction to a very unique Macross.

2. I can have a healthy suspension of disbelief, given enough technical jargon. Having said that, no amount of technical jargon can prevent me from throwing up spiritia all over my screen while watching M7.

3. Show starts off very slow. I lost count of how many times the enemy attacks and gets chased away. I don't really think the slow pace of the show works with the amount of content given.

4. As ridiculous as the song energy idea is, I'll actually say that they didn't take the idea far enough (if they wanted to make the show comically entertaining, that is). Basara is already glowing and shooting out beams, he should go full super-saiyan and fly around without the valkyrie. Indications that it's a comedy:

a. Flying valkyries with guitars. Include other nitpicks here like valks with faces, speakers, etc.

b. Song Energy, Sound Force.

c. Heroes & cast (those with names) constantly sidestepping gunfire only for unnamed valkyries and battleships to take the hit instead, resulting in a loss of life much greater in quantity.

d. Jamming Birds.

e. Basara keeps his valkyrie like a car parked in an abandoned lot.

f. Diamond Force. Emerald Force. Not quite as frightening a name as Skull squadron. Sounds instead like soem Care Bear power :)

g. Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidra were protodevlins!

5. The action is pretty weak.. even the high profile action scenes with Max or Miria are pretty underwhelming.

6. Interesting, no real love triangle. I thought it was a law that any real Macross (SDFM, DYRL, Plus, Frontier) must have a true love triangle. Here is the longest Macross series of all time, yet relational development is quite lacking... instead we get a lot of concerts.

7. Had I been 7-10 years old when watching this, I might have enjoyed it. If growing up with it, it has a potential nostalgia factor. It's pretty light fare and can be entertaining in its own way. Unfortunately I'm much older than 7 now, and it's like eating a 15 year old hamburger instead.

8. Flower girl was very amusing, I'm almost ashamed to say.

9. I do like how the characters have multiple outfits, unlike a lot of anime out there where it's the same thing all the time. Mylene has a new outfit like every episode! She must have one enormous closet.

10. Isn't it difficult to close the shell where there are buildings going up beyond the ceiling of the dome?

Review conclusion:

I reiterate my opinion, that no Macross with a number (0, 2, 7) can be good. Though not good, M7 provides its moments of entertainment, but it's only on the comedy aspects, not in an engrossing plot or heart thumping action. Side note: depending on how it ends, we'll see if Macross Frontier should really have been named Macross 25. :)

10. Isn't it difficult to close the shell where there are buildings going up beyond the ceiling of the dome?

No not really there is clearance and if notice the shelldome has spaces that fit builidings like City Hall.

8. Flower girl was very amusing, I'm almost ashamed to say.

Yes she's very cute isn't she? She also appears once in the Frontier manga during a Sheryl concert.

Though a paradox Flower Girl was also present during Macross Classic drama bumping into Hikaru. She's a Minmay fan in 2010? Same Seiyuu.

Though the reason Flower Girl doesn't speak is pretty much like the case of Mina and Nene having the same Seiyuu. Flower Girl's seiyuu also played Sivil.

9. I do like how the characters have multiple outfits, unlike a lot of anime out there where it's the same thing all the time. Mylene has a new outfit like every episode! She must have one enormous closet.

She's the daughter of Millia THE PRESIDENT so having a large closet is given. Though I suspect the rest of her sisters made Mylene a sacrificial lamb for their mother who likes to make marriage interviews.

6. Interesting, no real love triangle. I thought it was a law that any real Macross (SDFM, DYRL, Plus, Frontier) must have a true love triangle. Here is the longest Macross series of all time, yet relational development is quite lacking... instead we get a lot of concerts.

It was Macross Plus light. The friendship of the boys was important than who gets the girl.

You should see the ending of Dynamite 7.

Thing is in Macross 7 it is a love polygon when it comes to Basara.

Mylene likes Basara, Gamlin likes Mylene, Mylene also starts to like Gamlin, Rex likes Basara, Sivil likes Basara, Flower Girl likes Basara, Chlore and her entire fleet likes Basara and Emilia fifth daughter of Max and Millia likes Basara.

Basara loves music, nature, and the galaxy. Worse maniac compared to Isamu or Alto.

I decided to watch Macross 7 for the very first time over the last week. I started out mostly unspoiled on the show, but have avoided it all this time...

watched all M7 just a couple of months ago after avoiding it like the plague for almost 2 years, just sitting in my HD all that time... since i wasn't really expecting much coz of all the flak it has gotten, i can honestly say that it was ok... compared to kiddie-fied cartoon shows, that is. granted it is my least fave macross show, it was still macross coz of the mechs, the pseudo love triangle/triangles and familiar characters like max & milia. of course the music, some of it i liked but just too much repetition, it even made me remember what i was like in the nineties always having my guitar w/ me. i liked gamlin even if he was kinda "slow"... but what i just couldn't get is how the writers could have conceived a main character as extreme, abrasive, one-dimentional (always resorting to singing) and obnoxious as basara. granted he would show some vulnerability from time to time, it's just overshadowed by his obnoxiousness. i wish he could have somehow ended up with sivil w/ whom he showed the most vulnerability to, and just forgot about gigil (i couldn't stand his singing at all, had to fast forward!). and he just showed up in front of a mountain w/ his guitar out of nowhere? and i don't believe the rumors about where he came from, especially the rumor that he's minmay's and hikaru's love child (preposterous!)

Dynamite was better for me. better animation. But it could have done without the

hot springs bath w/ lolicon (sorry forgot her name) and almost mylene rape scene w/ of all things, a trannie (at least that's what i thought he/she was at the time. lesbian maybe? )

IMHO. But, like many (even my wife), i too was hoping for a resolution to the love-triangle. BTW, what the hell is wrong w/ basara, every girl he encounters just falls for him, even mylene's sis (emiria, i think) and he just blows them off... anyways, all in all it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be, it just didn't excite me as much as SDFM/DYRL, Mac+ and the first few eps of MacF w/c had similarities to SDFM. 2¢.

Thing is in Macross 7 it is a love polygon when it comes to Basara.

Mylene likes Basara, Gamlin likes Mylene, Mylene also starts to like Gamlin, Rex likes Basara, Sivil likes Basara, Flower Girl likes Basara, Chlore and her entire fleet likes Basara and Emilia fifth daughter of Max and Millia likes Basara.

Basara loves music, nature, and the galaxy. Worse maniac compared to Isamu or Alto.

You forgot a whole lot Zolan girls, a Space Whale and doctor Chiba (you can't deny it). Heck, I love Basara too! :p

Basara loves.

FIRE!

Edited by Nexx Stalker

The names are Elma and Emilia.

There was no romance between Elma and Basara or anything like Mao over Shin but they had to make Elma ask Basara if he's married yet.

I was like "You're going to wait years to grow up and see if can pin this bastard down huh?".

Laiza, Elma's sister, would have fallen too if she didn't have an Whale maniac geek scientist not-boyfriend.

You know Fire Bomber went through several female bassist before Mylene. Wonder if they had the same frustration both professional and sexual with Basara.

Basara is like a one of those rebellious bad boy types girls like to tame.

Macross Dynamite 7 to me was less a story about Basara more about Laiza and her family.

Sounds to me SK was experimenting about female pilot protagonists.

The defunct Macross 3D before Macross Zero was suposed to be a female protagonist.

You forgot a whole lot Zolan girls, a Space Whale and doctor Chiba (you can't deny it). Heck, I love Basara too! :p

Basara loves.

FIRE!

yea, i love him also ;] oups, sorry Minmay @_@ dun kill me ROFL ;]

When I look back on Macross 7 I don't think you're suppose to identify with Basara at all but everyone else around him instead. Granted he's one of the main characters you don't really get an insight into him when viewing just him alone. I know for me I understood Mylene and Gamlin a lot more and saw things through their eyes until the end when Basara started to make sense. Even then it was mainly as a result of how the other characters saw him.

I think this in a large part is why some might not be able to get into the series or the character. Now this might not have been the intent and I could be viewing the whole thing wrong. My advice is just don't try to follow Basara as the main character and your eyes into the series. Use Mylene and Gamlin for that.

Personally I didn't like Basara until Gamlin did.