If Yamato made a 1/60 VF-4 would you buy it?

UN Spacy

390 members have voted

1. 1. If Yamato made a 1/60 VF-4 would you buy it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Oh - I do agree with you that this battroid design may be better than others, so that let's you know what I think of them.

As for go-bottish, I feel like the head and entire legs are lacking in what you may call creativity, or any sophisticated design -- or just coolness factor. The 'jumbled' comment comes from not being able to tell what parts you're viewing during the first 5 seconds of looking at the battroid mode (chest up).

I also do not like the wings dangling right over the arms where most of the combat action takes place. Shoulder guards are good but any action will likely result in not being able to take off again (original vf hides the wings and tailfins out of the way). And do we want to even talk about the nose cone?

Anyway - its was very cool in the original series - as a model being zoomed around in fighter mode . . .

:wacko:

wow... just... I can't even find words to...

Edited by anime52k8

Nice. :D

IF indeed it wasn't supposed to be variable (wtf, the variable element is the best thing since sliced bread air-to-air-to-ground-etc...<endrant>)

and it was just that an afterthought how about we let Yamato take some liberties in design with Lord K's perission to pretty it up, just like this baby -

med_gallery_3118_347_16832.jpgmed_gallery_3118_347_98726.jpggallery_3118_347_3304.jpg

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously people, David Hingtgen has already commented on the VF-4's transformation capabilities. On page 3, post 88, he links to The Macross Compendium: Fallacies. It is the third-to-last fallacy. Unless there is more accurate information someone would like to present?

For me, it is one of those grow-to-love designs. I enjoy it top-down in all modes. I feel only the VF-11 & further back, the VF-1 rival it.

Edited by marthf1

Fallacy: "The VF-X-4 and VF-4 are non-transformable." "The VF-4 is tranformable, but only now as a retcon."

Explanation: Although those fighters' GERWALK mode and Battroid modes were not protrayed when first shown, mecha designer Shoji Kawamori has specifically described both the VF-X-4 and VF-4 as transformable variable fighters since the begining when they were drawn (1983 and 1987 respectively). Their stated ability to transform is not a recent retcon.

Source of fallacy: Misintrepretation in Animag 11 and Mecha Press and lack of a official Kawamori-designed protrayal of the GERWALK mode and Battroid modes until recently. Animag 11 suggests that Kawamori "declines to describe" the VF-4 as transforming -- but actually, he does specifically state that it is transformable in an 1987 interview (The Super Dimension Fortress Macross:Flash Back 2012 Grafitti, p.63). Right before this statement on the VF-4, the questioner asks if the Megaroad transforms, and Kawamori laughs when he declines to say the Megaroad transform [in the video]. (He did not say the Megaroad is unable to transform.) This Megaroad statement (which appears right before the segment regarding the VF-4) is apparently how the overseas confusion began.

Kawamori statements got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read

it's like saying a specific cow will be on my dinner plate tonight, it's still a live cow eating grass, but it will be on my dinner plate when if I feel like it, it can stay a cow forever, but it can be my dinner too... right?, f*ck you

can't blame him, must be his way to cope with annoying otaku asking ridiculous question, so he just mindf*cks them and gets a kick out of it

Kawamori statements got to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read

it's like saying a specific cow will be on my dinner plate tonight, it's still a live cow eating grass, but it will be on my dinner plate when if I feel like it, it can stay a cow forever, but it can be my dinner too... right?, f*ck you

can't blame him, must be his way to cope with annoying otaku asking ridiculous question, so he just mindf*cks them and gets a kick out of it

Wow, that made absolutely no sense at all. I mean, not only is it not an appropriate analogy for what he said, it's not even an analogy at all. it's just gibberish.

I'm just going to assume you meant something that made sense; and that what you posted is the horribly mangled result of running it through babelfish or something.

Edited by anime52k8

hahaha

Nope, I meant to write such nonsense gibberish cause that's exactly what I got from "Kawamori's statements" just nonsense, his statements make no sense at all

hmm... it made sense to me. First he declined to state if the megaroad transformed (with the implication being that at the time he hadn't decided or didn't know), then he gets on the subject of the VF-4 and says that it (the VF-4) transforms.

so two completely separate statements becoming one because a magazine can't get its facts strait.

Well if you think about it, anything with a VF designation is meant to transform, since VF stands for Variable Fighter. So whether or not it was ever seen in animation doesn't mean it was never meant to do that.

• 7 months later...

So Graham just said Yamato chances of making a VF-0D were 0.0%.

As sad as that seems it's somewhat of a silver lining. We all know the VF-19 Kai and variants are on the way in 2011.

I also remember him mentioning the VF-17 wias most likely coming afterward. Well, remember that poll from a few months ago?

I kinda get the feeling the VF-4 is more and more likely coming in 2012. Right?

They'd be daft to miss out on such an easy marketing point. 2012 Flashback and posters and pictures with the VF4 on already, its previous association with 2012 and the fact that nobody else has ever bothered would surely make it a winner.

Edited by big F

I was watching the TV show today, and Hikaru was flying around a toy fighter in his apartment. It was one of the last episodes, cannot recall which.

Is that a VF-4 he's flying around? I know the VF-4 didn't allegedly appear until Macross: Flashback, but that aircraft had a lot of resemblance to the VF-4.

Maybe I'm wrong. My laptop screen is pretty small...

I was watching the TV show today, and Hikaru was flying around a toy fighter in his apartment. It was one of the last episodes, cannot recall which.

Is that a VF-4 he's flying around? I know the VF-4 didn't allegedly appear until Macross: Flashback, but that aircraft had a lot of resemblance to the VF-4.

Maybe I'm wrong. My laptop screen is pretty small...

It's a VF-X-4, the prototype for the production VF4.

Hell yes I'd buy one. Like has been mentioned before, it's one of the better looking Valks, both in Battroid and Fighter mode. As much as I would love to have a VF-0D, the VF-4 is much more likely to happen. 2012 is a ripe opportunity for this Valk to make its grand appearance, though I'd much rather see it sooner.

• 5 months later...

2012 is not only the year in which Flashback 2012 takes place, but also the 30th Anniversary of Macross. A 1/60 VF-4 would be a fitting way to celebrate, and I LOVE the battroid mode of the VF-4, fighter mode looks great too. I'd buy it.

They'd be daft to miss out on such an easy marketing point. 2012 Flashback and posters and pictures with the VF4 on already, its previous association with 2012 and the fact that nobody else has ever bothered would surely make it a winner.

Yamato is probably saving the VF-4 for 2012 to coincide with Flashback 2012. They can still milk Macross 7 territory in the meantime.

:wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Still my favourite Valkyrie design. Would still pick up one in a heartbeat, of course. It I get this job I've got lined up for later this year then I'd get at least three. Possibly four. Three to display (one in each mode) and one to play with and maybe display at my desk at work.