Battlestar Galactica Discussion III

^^They only said that the Cylon side-story would air some time in the fall. No specific date or anything though.

The other thing to remember about the finale is that these folks have been cooped up in their ships for who knows how long now. I'm sure a wee bit of cabin fever is coming into play here. I can also see a good chunk of the survivors preferring the change of pace, especially since the planet is a nice, warm, lush place with "more animals than the 12 colonies put together" (as Roslin put it).

I'm sure the idea of eating fresh steak instead of algae paste would appeal to a lot of the Colonials.

The other thing too is that if the "bad" Cylons ever rolled on by this Earth, they'd probably just pass over the planet without a second look. I mean there's no sign of Colonial ships orbiting the planet. No sign of a large, metropolitan city with skyscrapers and such. And the technological level of the people down below is nowhere near the level of a space-faring society. No need to nuke them back to the stone age, since they're practically at that level already!

Granted though, this theory would go to hell if one of the folks forgets to turn off the Colonial transponder on their Viper or Raptor (ala dead Starbuck). :p

The other thing too is that if the "bad" Cylons ever rolled on by this Earth, they'd probably just pass over the planet without a second look. I mean there's no sign of Colonial ships orbiting the planet. No sign of a large, metropolitan city with skyscrapers and such. And the technological level of the people down below is nowhere near the level of a space-faring society. No need to nuke them back to the stone age, since they're practically at that level already!

Granted though, this theory would go to hell if one of the folks forgets to turn off the Colonial transponder on their Viper or Raptor (ala dead Starbuck). :p

Well, once those Raptors and Vipers start running out of fuel carrying people around the planet, there's no point in keeping them around. They can start scrapping them for materials. It might be nice to have a Raptor canopy as a cabin window.

Well, once those Raptors and Vipers start running out of fuel carrying people around the planet, there's no point in keeping them around. They can start scrapping them for materials. It might be nice to have a Raptor canopy as a cabin window.

Especially since no one would invent glass windows again for a good 148,000 years. :)

Now that the series is over, here are my Top 5 6 Episodes/Moments in the series

1. The Viper Raid on the Cylon tylium refinery in the Hand of God (Season 1)

2. Boomer being activated right after nuking a basestar & putting two rounds into Adama's gut in Kobol's Last Gleaming Part 2 (Season 1)

3. The Blackbird being built in Flight of the Phoenix (Season 2)

4. The Galactica and Pegasus assault on the resurrection ship in Resurrection Ship (Season 2)

5. Galactica's Atmosphere drop and the Pegasus kamikaze in Exodus Part 2 (Season 3)

6. Galactica storming the Cylon Colony in Daybreak Part 2 (Season 4)

I like your list, but I'd probably remove the creation of the Blackbird and throw in the time jump from the Season 2 finale. That was a ballsy and creative move on their part.

My personal Top 5 Character Moments of the Series:

Honorable Mentions:

* Sleeper Agent Boomer popping a couple caps in Adama - Shocker of an ending. All of the fallout from this one act (both in terms of story and for the characters) gave us a ton of story fodder for the first half of Season 2.

* Baltar's "You know, I do know a little something...about. . . farming." - An appropriate bittersweet ending for this character (and Caprica Six's) story arcs.

5. Roslin hearing Leoben say "Adama is a Cylon," taking the briefest of moments, and straight-up ordering the sucker to be spaced out the airlock! (Season 1)

It was the first moment where the President showed she could a be tough-as-nails, hard-ass. If anyone was wondering whether the President had any kind of backbone in her, this was the moment that put all doubts to rest.

4. Dee telling Commander Adama to reunite "the family" (Season 2)

Adama choosing Dee to be a sympathetic yes-woman/sounding board. Dee unexpectedly stepping up to the plate, having her finest moment in the series, and reminding the Old Man of exactly what he should do.

3. TIE between Adama growling "Walk out of this cabin while you still can" (Season 1) and "I know what you are; you're my daughter." (Season 4)

The best quotes/scenes showing how strong that bond is between Kara and the Commander/Admiral. If it was anyone else revealing their role in Zack's death, Kara wouldn't have gotten out of Adama's quarters unharmed. The other quote from a few episodes ago was exactly what Kara needed to hear during her time of self-doubt and confusion.

2. The looks of acknowledgement, approval, and pride between Lee and the Commander at the end of The Hand of God (Season 1)

No words, no dialogue. Just a couple of knowing looks between a father and his son. Considering all the sh*t that went down between them before the fall of the Colonies, it was nice to see them sharing a genuine father-son moment during a joyous celebration.

1. Tigh killing Ellen down on New Caprica (Season 3)

Tigh showing himself to be the hardest bad-ass around. Ellen pouring out her guts and heart, telling Tigh exactly why she did what she did. The two of them sharing a drink, as they've done a million times before. Only this time. . . it ends adruptly. :blink: This was a gut-wrenching and raw scene that made Tigh into one of the most compelling characters of the last half of the series.

^^They only said that the Cylon side-story would air some time in the fall. No specific date or anything though.

The other thing to remember about the finale is that these folks have been cooped up in their ships for who knows how long now. I'm sure a wee bit of cabin fever is coming into play here. I can also see a good chunk of the survivors preferring the change of pace, especially since the planet is a nice, warm, lush place with "more animals than the 12 colonies put together" (as Roslin put it).

I'm sure the idea of eating fresh steak instead of algae paste would appeal to a lot of the Colonials.

This is my main opinion too about the ending. Over 4 years of war, occupation, death and every other bad thing to happen. Steak, clean air, do what ever I want. I'd probably ditch the mechanics too, Besides the Battlestar was almost a total loss and the other ships were badly worn through as well. I think for the survivors of Caprica it was time for a simple life, let future generations decide if they want to be more advanced, As Lee said "We end the cycle and start over."

Sometimes with the way our current world is, Living life a few hundred years ago sounds tempting at times. B))

I am wondering:

What happened to the human survivors back on the original 12 Colonies? Statistically speaking, out of 18 billion people, there are survivors who did not leave on those ships and who were not captured or killed by Cylons. Speaking of, what happened to the Cylons back at the 12 Colonies? They had baseships there, troops on the ground.

Again, for me, the lack of a coherent storyline and plan for the endgame through the mini-series and first few seasons (which RDM admitted on several occasions) really hurt the story at the end. The biggest problem is that the first half of the show's life seems totally different than the second half, and I am not sure you could watch them all together and be satisfied. It's almost like being married to a woman for 3 years, having a kid, then waking up one day and she's a man. And you can't quite explain WTF just happened, and what was going on those past 3 years.

I just don't know if I buy the explanation that all of this happened because Baltar had to be made to believe, REALLY believe in something greater than himself, so he could convince Cavil to stand down in that pivotal sequence.

With the ending we received, I would have preferred RDM just ended BSG with the Cinder Earth scenes at the end of Season 4. Season 4.5 was such a mess for the most part, and the ending was less than satisfying. RDM painted himself into a corner by saying they would find Earth. But you are correct BSG is almost 2 different TV shows. The mini, S1, S2 being one show. Then Season 3 and 4 being the second show.

But I guess this is what happens with you actually have no plan. RDM readily admits to this. They really should have at least plotted the highlights for the whole show before they got into the narrative story telling so they didn't have a ton of ret-cons and other mis-steps along the way. Still though, BSG was/is better than 99% of the current trash on TV. I think the point where BSG started to take a turn for the worse was when they revealed Tigh, Galen, Sam, and Tori were cylons and the ommission of the #7 model. The creators had to retcon far to much and let's be honest other than more or less saying "we are one of the final 5 cyclons" the F5 really did nothing. They had no great insight, no great revelations until Sam was shot in the neck and even then only he remembered anything.

Anyways I would have rather the story ended 150,000 in the future, instead of 150,000 years in our past.

Edited by Evil Porkchop

I am wondering:

What happened to the human survivors back on the original 12 Colonies? Statistically speaking, out of 18 billion people, there are survivors who did not leave on those ships and who were not captured or killed by Cylons. Speaking of, what happened to the Cylons back at the 12 Colonies? They had baseships there, troops on the ground.

Well we never saw the condition of the other 11 worlds on survivors except Caprica. Those left were either killed or used in rape farms.

The Skinjobs abandons the Colonies to chase the Colonials and their destination Earth.

Cylons chose Earth to be next home. Besides who wants 12 irradiated planets anyway?

Without radiation drugs those in the colonies would slowly die.

As for those stuck in space. We don't know if the fleet Cain scuttled got caught by Cylons.

I could say that the Loyalist and Rebel Cylons are still fighting a Civil War but RDM seems to say in finality that they are all dead.

The Colony was concluded to fall into the black hole. Though we only saw it nuked, we didn't exactly see it fall into pieces.

So the only wild card out there are the Red Stripes chromejobs. (For all we know starting another frakked up cycle.)

For all we know Earth 1's Toasters are out there but alas RDM says they're dead too from being nuked. (Which is pretty stupid as they are machines.)

Edited by RedWolf

wow, fantastic ending, one of the absolute best I've seen in my life, and the long epilogue was brilliant...

The writers from Frontier should learn a thing or two from this about wrapping up loose ends

by the way, I believe the chief broke the download and kill that bitch (don't remember her name), so there would be no absolute chance she would resurrect

only doubt I was left with was that why was kara called "the harbinger of death" ???????

still...I watched this show cause I really didn't have anything better to see, don't know squat about the original (don't care), but for me the show fully satisfied my sci fi entertainment needs, hahaha

Harbinger meaning messenger of death. RDM admitted he was making up stuff along the way. Unlike B5 or say DS9 that had planned ending.

Now the weird thing is why did the First Hybrid say they must not follow her?

Is it because the cycle would start up again? Well in the cases of the colonies and Earth 1 they brought their technology, history and excess baggage with them.

Earth 2 is too random in 150,000 years for the same thing to happen again. Besides with robot fictions we are smarter than they are. LOL

But frak me this could be used as a prequel in a BSG TOS fanfic. Explaining the origins of the 12 colonies and Terra.

On another note Glen Larson is working for his two babies Battlestar Galactica and Knight Rider for movie pre-production.

I think the point where BSG started to take a turn for the worse was when they revealed Tigh, Galen, Sam, and Tori were cylons and the ommission of the #7 model. The creators had to retcon far to much and let's be honest other than more or less saying "we are one of the final 5 cyclons" the F5 really did nothing. They had no great insight, no great revelations until Sam was shot in the neck and even then only he remembered anything.

Anyways I would have rather the story ended 150,000 in the future, instead of 150,000 years in our past.

The only people that knew of the eighth cylon model was cavil, and the final five it did not make any difference. We didn't even know of David's existence on till the forth to the last episode.

Final five, Cavil, Caprica, Sharon, Simon, Liobin, D'anna, bureaucrat guy(forgot name), and the eighth David.

It did end a hundred fifty thousand years in the future their future.

The only people that knew of the eighth cylon model was cavil, and the final five it did not make any difference. We didn't even know of David's existence on till the forth to the last episode.

Final five, Cavil, Caprica, Sharon, Simon, Liobin, D'anna, bureaucrat guy(forgot name), and the eighth David.

It did end a hundred fifty thousand years in the future their future.

Semantics.

Saying our present is BSG's future, and BSG's preset is our past. It's a cop-out at best, and horrible storytelling at worse.

Hell the ending would have been more satisfying if they would have just left out the whole Proto-human/Eve thing and never flashed the 150,000 years later thing. Some people liked it, some didn't. I just felt it cheapened the story. I've went back and watched S1, S2, S3, and S4.0 before S4.5 started and the first two seasons really are quite different from the last 2. Season 3 meshes relatively well, but as soon as Starbuck came back and 4 of the final 5 were revealed at the end of S3 RDM has to retcon so much of the first 2 seasons.

I won't blame just RDM for the way BSG ended or the way S4.5 went. Some of this was the writer's strike that happened. So RDM had to create a plausible ending (the end of S4 with Cinder Earth) just in case S4.5 never saw the day of light. Besides discarding all the technology the Colonials had and bascially vanishing into the pages of "our history" no lessons are taught, nothing is remembered and from the ending provided, you can see signs of the cycle starting again.

I would have ended it 6000-8000 years in the future. They could have landed on our Earth and for whatever reason the planet could be un-inhabited (God/It could have made that happen), or on any other planet and just called it Earth. They don't leave all the technology behind, but the Colonials do decide to become more "naturalistic" and live in peace with the rebel cyclons etc. etc.

I've went back and watched S1, S2, S3, and S4.0 before S4.5 started and the first two seasons really are quite different from the last 2. Season 3 meshes relatively well, but as soon as Starbuck came back and 4 of the final 5 were revealed at the end of S3 RDM has to retcon so much of the first 2 seasons.

Yes, if you go back and look at those first few seasons (having seen the ending, now), its quite obvious.

I won't blame just RDM for the way BSG ended or the way S4.5 went. Some of this was the writer's strike that happened. So RDM had to create a plausible ending (the end of S4 with Cinder Earth) just in case S4.5 never saw the day of light.

Not entirely true. Had they not been able to go back into production, it would have ended with that shot of the planet, and it would have been left at that. No Cylon world, no Nuclear fallout, no cinder Earth. It would have been Earth, period, and the rest left to our imaginations.

For all we know Earth 1's Toasters are out there but alas RDM says they're dead too from being nuked. (Which is pretty stupid as they are machines.)

Well the gist of is that the conflict on [the original] Earth was wholly contained to that planet alone. It can be assumed that is similar t why they all left Kobol as well. And Earth's Cylons (or Centurions for that matter) did not posess FTL travel, so they probably did not have much of a space fleet.

I have to admit I was a little underwelmed by parts of the season finale.

The First 2/3 or so were strong but the last act really lost it for me.

I plan on watching it again but some parts ruined it for me

Kara just disappearing what the frack was with that, what happened to her being the harbinger of death?

Lets abandon tech and go native? Okay I can understand keeping a low profile but come on with the flash-forward to today it sounds like in the end they all died with nothing to show for it. I mean they fought tooth and nail to survive and in the end it seems like they just gave up.

And what happened to Hera? She was someone who was hailed to be the savior of the human race only to die as a child and her bones found in the future next to her parents

Personally I think I would have preferred them showing the fleet arrive and then fade to black.

I have heard that when this hits DVD it could be longer does anyone know if this is true

Lets abandon tech and go native? Okay I can understand keeping a low profile but come on with the flash-forward to today it sounds like in the end they all died with nothing to show for it. I mean they fought tooth and nail to survive and in the end it seems like they just gave up.

And what happened to Hera? She was someone who was hailed to be the savior of the human race only to die as a child and her bones found in the future next to her parents

It was obvious Hera survived for long enough to bear children as well. I forgot the exact wording Caprica uses in the end to describe the remains, but it's implied that if she is Mitochondrial Eve, then she had children of her own.

Anyone else notice that Deanna Biers/Lucy Lawless was no where to be found in the finale?

... didn't the last of her model decide to stay on Earth v.1 to just die peacefully?

Edited by Ghost Train

Hera is still representative of the future of both races. She contains biological elements from BOTH. She represents something that at the time was unheard of and unthinkable, a human/cylon hybrid. She represents a union of two races that were on a course to wipe one another out.

In terms of Kara and some of the other metaphysical stuff in the end I think Baltar put it best with his speech in CIC, essentially saying that it doesn't matter how or why, just that there is something greater at work. Did anyone honestly expect a complete clear cut explanation for the more mystic elements of the show? I sure didn't, getting all the answers/not leaving questions would have made the ending weak in my opinion.

The biggest failing in the end, for me, was the lack of an explanation for the Lords of Kobol and the Cylon's one true god. From what I can gather from online sources, if you go back to the first few seasons, there are some vague references to a fracturing amongst the Lords of Kobol that led to the exodus of the 13 colonies, and the rise of the one god (who is hinted to be one of the Lords of Kobol). I'm big on mythology, and I think they missed an opportunity to add another dimension to the backstory while making the plot at the end a bit cleaner.

^_^ You never watched it yourself?

Anyone else notice that Deanna Biers/Lucy Lawless was no where to be found in the finale?

Umm...she's been gone

since they found the original Earth. She stayed behind to die there.

I am wondering:

The only reason the survivors were able to gather the weapons, and anti radiation med's was because of Cavil who was tormenting Sam.

When Starbuck, and her expedition returned from Caprica they said that all the Cylons had left Caprica.

Those anti radiation med's would not last very long so unless they were able to find some part of those planets were the radiation did not spread to they would not last very long.

why did they not Wait on till all of the wounded had recovered before hurling the fleet in to the Sun?

I guess it is ironic that hello started the series being shot threw the leg and ended the series being shot through the leg.

Edited by miles316

Hera is still representative of the future of both races. She contains biological elements from BOTH. She represents something that at the time was unheard of and unthinkable, a human/cylon hybrid. She represents a union of two races that were on a course to wipe one another out.

In terms of Kara and some of the other metaphysical stuff in the end I think Baltar put it best with his speech in CIC, essentially saying that it doesn't matter how or why, just that there is something greater at work. Did anyone honestly expect a complete clear cut explanation for the more mystic elements of the show? I sure didn't, getting all the answers/not leaving questions would have made the ending weak in my opinion.

My sentiments exactly. That's the thing about the spiritual and mystical side of life: it refuses to be easily explained away, even with all the science and additional understanding we can throw at it. That spiritual and mystical stuff has a funny way of forcing you to accept it and deal with it on its own terms. And sometimes you just have to take a "leap of faith." ;)

Now, I'm not gonna stand here and say that everything was perfectly planned out by RDM and company. But for the most part, you gotta give them credit. They didn't always shy away from the where they could take the story. Our heros weren't always the finest example of human beings out there. In fact, they could be just as downright ugly and violent as the Cylons.

And God bless them for showing the Galactica looking like she took the massive beating that she did over the years. After the New Caprica drop and the passage to the Algae planet, she never did look the same again.

For those of you complaining about what we got, don't forget: this series could have been so much worse. We could have gotten Star Trek Voyager. :blink:

For those of you complaining about what we got, don't forget: this series could have been so much worse. We could have gotten Star Trek Voyager. :blink:

Lol All teched out with anti-Borg weaponry.

We got to see old raiders ans Centurions, too bad the old Basestars weren't around.

According to RDM the Colony was grown around the Final Five's original ship. For all its size a couple of nukes can take it out.

How big was their ship originally Sam said that they had put ship in to orbit to weight for Armageddon, and it had the ability to accelerate to three quarters the speed of light?

Because the colony was several dozen time bigger than the Galactica, and she is like fore kilometers long.

Did they use automated robots to build it in orbit from asteroids, or lunar material just using rockets to deliver the vital components?

Did the Colonial Cylons just adapt the technology from their ship/colonies, and did not really invent any thing themselves?

KITT is a Fraking Cylon the car must die.

Edited by miles316

Don't forget Knight Rider 2045, the post apocolyptic Knight Rider movie...

That clip is strangely compelling despite itself. Didn't they for one minute consider that building a car in the same colors using the same menacing voice as the first KARR might result in a similar end? Foolish scientists. And poor Peter Cullen for being dragged into it :) Hell, Val Kilmer was Mad Mardigan & Doc Freakin' Holiday, why is he being reduced to the garbage he's doing? Who'd he piss off in Hollywood?

Don't forget Knight Rider 2045, the post apocolyptic Knight Rider movie...

That clip is strangely compelling despite itself. Didn't they for one minute consider that building a car in the same colors using the same menacing voice as the first KARR might result in a similar end? Foolish scientists. And poor Peter Cullen for being dragged into it :) Hell, Val Kilmer was Mad Mardigan & Doc Freakin' Holiday, why is he being reduced to the garbage he's doing? Who'd he piss off in Hollywood?

The "Mad Max" Knight Rider 2010 movie with a dead chick in a piece of junk?

I deliberately forgot that one. It had no links to the original.

Its original script was butchered. The 2010 original script called for a soldier driving a Knight Rider car. Knight Rider being a term for government agents that drive AI cars. Michael and KITT being a legendary team.

Well if any of the TV Knight Rider series had in common beside the friendly cars were renegade prototype cars before them. Knight Automated Roving Robot, Knight Reformulation One, and Knight Auto-Cybernetic Roving Robotic-Exoskeleton.

Anyway I have a beta chapter fanfic of KARR I, KRO and KARR II teaming up under Garthe Knight and his truck Goliath.