Aircraft Vs Thread 5

Well, a big factor is that a lot of stuff of that era doesn't have any other name---they simply don't name things like the West does. Fulcrum is the ONLY name for a MiG-29 AFAIK. Same for the Flanker. The Flanker is nicknamed "Crane" by pilots etc, but it is not officially called that---kind of like "Viper" for the F-16.

Missiles and the like we now know the proper designation (R-27 instead of AA-10) but again---they're not named like the Sidewinder, Sparrow etc.

A "fagot" as opposed to a "happy person" is apparently a bundle of sticks or similar (or metal pieces) tied together. Its worth bearing in mind that in Britain at least, "happy person" can also refer to a type of meat-ball, something that has caused some embarrassing confusion throughout the ages. :)

we got a airshow coming up this month in townsville which is going to be great,the US are sending there F-16 Thunderbirds to perform which will be a sight to see,and the RAAF are going to do the last F-111 'Dump'n'Burn' and also the Last flight of the townsville based DHC-4 Caribou squadron before both F-111 and the DHC go out of service, im abit sad really, F-111 is one of my favorite aircraft and knowing i wont see them fly over again is alil depressing. it'll be a good show tho and im looking forward to it,will be taking alot of videos and photos. F-111 here is getting replaced by F-35's but that wont be seen till years down the track,and a new lot of Super hornets are on the way but im not a big fan of the F/A-18 so seeing more of them come isnt as cool.

Edited by Vepariga

To add to anime52k8 pic here's a shot of the belly and I marked the area for the chaff and flare dispensers right behind the snake bay. Oh yeah there's one on each side too, but I'm unsure of how many rounds each side holds.

post-8467-1253001198_thumb.jpg

Edited by hobbes221

I went to the Sacramento Capitol Airshow this past Sunday, and I realized that I'm getting incredibly spoiled as 5 out of the last 8 air shows I've been to have had the Raptor performing. It's almost becoming routine!

th_DSC_0014.jpg th_DSC_0063.jpg th_DSC_0111.jpg th_DSC_0115.jpg th_DSC_0144.jpg th_DSC_0197.jpg th_DSC_0326.jpg th_DSC_0340.jpg th_DSC_0498.jpg

This is the first time I've tried shooting in RAW mode on my camera and I have to say the effect is subtle but the pictures are noticeably better looking.

P.S. Mustangs and Corsairs don't got nothin on the sound of a P-38. B))

This is the first time I've tried shooting in RAW mode on my camera and I have to say the effect is subtle but the pictures are noticeably better looking.

NIIIICCCEEE!!

Love the photo of P-38 at take-off.

P.S. Mustangs and Corsairs don't got nothin on the sound of a P-38. B))

In terms of sound level or harmony?

In terms of harmony, I think the Merlin engined Mustangs and Spitfires are the best. ^_^

Edited by Vifam7

This is sickening. F14

damn, that's PAINFUL to see. the F-14 was always my very favorite real-world aircraft, ever since since early childhood, no less...

well, Que Sera, Sera. THANK GOD i'm a big boy now, and as such, able to own one of these beauties, NEVER to fall prey to "Reclamation" by trash collectors;

DSCF2569.jpg

Edited by Shaorin

MOAR!!!

th_DSC_0017.jpg th_DSC_0159.jpg th_DSC_0023.jpg th_DSC_0029.jpg th_DSC_0039.jpg th_DSC_0112.jpg th_DSC_0149.jpg th_DSC_0267.jpg th_DSC_0457.jpg

In terms of sound level or harmony?

In terms of harmony, I think the Merlin engined Mustangs and Spitfires are the best. ^_^

Both, the two part harmony of those twin engines is one of the sweetest things I've ever heard, and as you can see I had a P-51 on hand to compare it to.

Nied, some of those shots are excellent, love the one with the P-51,saber and Raptor amazing. i love old warbirds, and i agree the P-51's sound is a marvoulous thing,but i must say im quite fond of the old JU-87 stuka,shame ther isnt any operational ones anymore.

Have you heard the deep growl of a RR Griffon on a Spitfire? Its not as harmonious but the growl is pretty awe inspiring...

Also wonderfully distinctive. There was one at the airshow at East Fortune not to far away from me this year and even though I was inside at the time I could still tell without doubt when the Spit had arrived. There were quite a few folk who looked at each other, observed "that'd be the Spitfire then" and nodded.

Karl

I'm fairly sure that there were some canadian pilots in the RAF during the Battle of Britain. I see to remember reading that there were several squadrons formed from volunteers from all across the Commonwealth. (But that's as I recall, and my memory may be faulty).

Karl

I'm fairly sure that there were some Canadian pilots in the RAF during the Battle of Britain. I see to remember reading that there were several squadrons formed from volunteers from all across the Commonwealth. (But that's as I recall, and my memory may be faulty).

Karl

Their was the Eagle squadron made up of US pilots volunteers and the RAF established many Flying schools to trainee pilots in Canada for the war.

James Dohann (Star trek Scotty) was a member of the Canadian ARMY and fought on D-Day and losing a finger so I would assume many Canadian pilots were sent to Great Briton before the start of the war.

The Eagle Squadrons were actually formed after the Battle, but there were several US pilots who volunteered to join the RAF and fought in it before the Eagle Squadrons were set up.

Canadians - what I was trying to get across is that I can't name any names from 1940 off the top of my head; if I did some research I probably would find Canadian pilots who participated in the battle (and they wouldn't have to have been flying Hurricanes or Spitfires, either; Bomber Command had a role to play during that summer as well... ) I also can't say with absolute certainty, but the impression I've always had is that country-specific squadrons generally formed a little bit later than 1940, after the "panic" had died down a bit. Theres no doubt all the so-called "British" forces were truly multi-national, including Poles, South Africans, Czechs, Free French, New Zealanders, Australians, - heck, I think there was even an Austrian prince in the RAF at one point!

Edited by F-ZeroOne

The Eagle Squadrons were actually formed after the Battle, but there were several US pilots who volunteered to join the RAF and fought in it before the Eagle Squadrons were set up.

Canadians - what I was trying to get across is that I can't name any names from 1940 off the top of my head; if I did some research I probably would find Canadian pilots who participated in the battle (and they wouldn't have to have been flying Hurricanes or Spitfires, either; Bomber Command had a role to play during that summer as well... ) I also can't say with absolute certainty, but the impression I've always had is that country-specific squadrons generally formed a little bit later than 1940, after the "panic" had died down a bit. Theres no doubt all the so-called "British" forces were truly multi-national, including Poles, South Africans, Czechs, Free French, New Zealanders, Australians, - heck, I think there was even an Austrian prince in the RAF at one point!

No there was a 'Canadian' RAF specific squadron (242) as well as a bonafide Royal Canadian Air Force Squadron (401) which was deployed from 1940. This does not include Canada's contribution to Coastal Command, FAA and Bomber command.

While Canada made a large direct contribution, they also helped train over half of all Commonwealth pilots who served during the war through the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan.

Edited by Noyhauser

Aside from commonwealth forces stationed in England during WW2, I'm pretty certain Polish pilots sortied from English airfields long after their homeland were rolled over by the Blitz. I forget the name of the squadron but circa Battle of Britain it was a polish squadron with the highest number of air to air kills.

IIRC I read somewhere that the Polish pilotes involved in the Battle of Britain used to have a lot of random banter going on over the radio to confuse the enemy and make their numbers larger than they actually were.

Say, I got a question for the more knowleadgable guys around here.

A little while ago I found this picture online of an F-22 adaptation for the U.S. Navy's cancelled NATF program:

f22-natf.jpg

Now I was wondering, what are some of the things you would need to consider when trying to design a stealth aircraft with swing-wings? Would it be possible to do so if you made the wings so that they had certain fixed possible positions and angles, each one being in line with other lines on the airplane?

Also, why give it swing-wings? Wouldn't it be easier to just give it folding wings for storage instead, like an F/A-18, and keep the basic shape of the regular F-22's wing? Or is the regular F-22's landing speed so high because of the angle of the wing that it would then need some special flap system or some other method to slow down enough to be able to land on a carrier?

Also, some nice F-19 pics I found online ;)

Seen from another plane flying underneath:

F-19-underside-view-of-airscoops.jpg

Refueling:

F-19-refueling.jpg

Retirement:

F-19s-at-Tuscon-AMARC-airplane-grav.jpg

~Bowen

Edited by Bowen