Aircraft Vs Thread 5

12 percent drag isn't small, when Boeing sells $250,000 packages that'll reduce drag by 0.1% on an MD-80...

Looking at it from another perspective, you are carrying 50% more fuel with 88% less drag compared against a centre line fuel tank. If reducing drag by 0.1% is worth $250,000, how much is it worth reducing drag by 88%*(drag of centreline fuel tank) ?

I'm one of the F-16-CFT-haters. Makes 'em look fugly IMHO.

Look on the bright side, the CFT will mentally prepare you for the coming eyesore in the form of the F35.

Look on the bright side, the CFT will mentally prepare you for the coming eyesore in the form of the F35.

I don't get people hating on the F-35's looks. Sure the X-35 was ugly but how can you look at this and not say it's beautiful.

On a different note maybe living in Boston wont be that bad, I'm about 20 blocks from Fenway park and I just got to watch the B-2 that made the flyover for the Winter Classic make a long beautiful turn over my apartment. If I hadn't been as hungover as I am I might have thought ahead enough to have my camera ready.

::Edit:: and the Bruins win to top everything off. Nice!

Edited by Nied

I don't get people hating on the F-35's looks. Sure the X-35 was ugly but how can you look at this and not say it's beautiful.

It really depends on the angle but overall I don't find the F-35 aesthetically appealing as say an F-16, Rafale or even the F-22 to a degree but that's just my opinion though. Everyone has different tastes.

I watched that winter classic and saw the B-2 fly over but they cut it off as it was about to go right over the stadium. <_<

It's not beautiful ;) Sorry, it's just me. Can't say I like any stealth aircraft in an esthetic sense. There is something in their design that turns me off completely, think it's the use of diamond shapes and right angles. I like aircraft the way I like women, curvy with an hour glass figure :D

If i correct in assuming visual wise.. :unsure:

If the F35 is an eyesore what do you think of the X32?

Google Images link

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=x-32&...l=en&tab=wi

IMO the F35 looks better visually wise ( even the X35 did ) than the X32. :D

edit:sorry i am late with this

Edited by altermodes

+1

Chinese 3d animation video with several types of aircraft, hilarious. The A-10 just owns. The link was originally posted in an obscure thread.

Edited by Bri

The A-10 is only good thing about that video. I mean come on, there is no way in Sheol that a J-10 and a pair of F-4 would stand a chance against a pair of F-22 that had the drop on them.

The A-10 is only good thing about that video. I mean come on, there is no way in Sheol that a J-10 and a pair of F-4 would stand a chance against a pair of F-22 that had the drop on them.

I thought the bald eagle F-22's looked cool. real F-22's should be painted like that. ^_^

I thought the bald eagle F-22's looked cool. real F-22's should be painted like that. ^_^

I actually saw that cartoon several days ago I found out about it from a chines Forum. The cartoon was created for Chines consumption, and like many things created in china they are meant to instill a sense that any thing made for the Peoples Liberation Army/Air force, and Navy is invincible.

Edited by miles316

I actually saw that cartoon several days ago I found out about it from a chines Forum. The cartoon was created for Chines consumption, and like many things created in china they are meant to instill a sense that any thing made for the Peoples Liberation Army/Airforse, and Navy is invincible.

I have a hard time believing that people of reasonable intelligence would take a bunch of cartoon anthropomorphized airplanes seriously enough to draw conclusions about the PLAAF and navy's actual capabilities. This is like saying that the awesomeness of the VF-1 proves that the F-14 is the best fighter ever made.

$28.8 million NASA Cuts Price for Retired Space Shuttles

NASA on Friday slashed its multi-million dollar price tag for museums looking to acquire one of its three space shuttle orbiters after they are retired later this year. The due date for the reduced payment, which dropped by almost one-third, was also advanced to be six months earlier than previously announced.

Interested educational institutions and science museums will now only owe the space agency an estimated $28.8 million - down from the $42 million set in December 2008 - if they are chosen to receive either shuttles Atlantis or Endeavour. Discovery, the oldest of the orbiters, has been promised to the National Air and Space Museum, although the Smithsonian will still need to pay the same fee.

The lower price comes as a result of NASA releasing the shuttles' recipients from having to underwrite the "safeing" of the vehicles, preparing them to be safely exhibited. The museums will still need to pay for ferrying the orbiter atop the agency's modified Boeing 747 from NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida to a U.S. destination airport.

While updating its formal Request for Information (RFI) to museums, NASA also revised its schedule for transferring the orbiters to begin six months earlier than previously stated in 2008.

As such, the earliest NASA will announce the final homes for Atlantis and Endeavour will be in July 2010, giving the selected museums approximately a year to fundraise and erect the required indoor housing for the orbiters.

NASA has set a Feb. 19, 2010 deadline for institutions to reply to the updated request in order to be considered to receive an orbiter.

In the interim, NASA is continuing to ready Endeavour to fly the first of five remaining shuttle missions to complete the International Space Station. STS-130 is scheduled to launch on Feb. 7 on a 13-day mission to deliver the third and final connecting node for the orbiting outpost.

I am kind of slow....is that real? I mean, I know the pictures are of a model but was his little story fiction or...? o.o;;

Sadly, as awesome as that would be (and it would only be surpassed by the more awesome news of the F-14 being pulled out of retirement), it's just a silly week article on aircraft resource center.

Still, pretty cool.

Sadly, as awesome as that would be (and it would only be surpassed by the more awesome news of the F-14 being pulled out of retirement), it's just a silly week article on aircraft resource center.

Still, pretty cool.

Actually the proposal to bring over Su-27 or Su-33s was actually penned by the former head of Grumman Aircraft and their former chief test pilot. I still have the article they wrote about it at home somewhere.

Actually the proposal to bring over Su-27 or Su-33s was actually penned by the former head of Grumman Aircraft and their former chief test pilot. I still have the article they wrote about it at home somewhere.

You're kidding me. You mean this was actually given some serious thought?! Now THAT'S awesome!

You're kidding me. You mean this was actually given some serious thought?! Now THAT'S awesome!

Probably not for line service on carriers. The US Navy nor the public would never accept a Russian fighter no matter how good it is. It's just not realistic. More likely for aggessor role. Afterall the US Navy reportedly purchased two Su-27s from Ukraine for such a purpose.

I know this is a bit of a stretch for this topic, but I'm jealous of awesome this guy is:

I fail to see how a Top Gun fanboy playing Ace Combat is awesome, maybe if he had a nice simpit, and not just a dressed up desk and flight suit

I fail to see how a Top Gun fanboy playing Ace Combat is awesome, maybe if he had a nice simpit, and not just a dressed up desk and flight suit

Hey, give the guy some time. I mean, that whole getup wasn't cheap to start with...

Heck, I've got a simple flight suit I put together a few Halloweens back to dress up as Major Kong, and I don't have a pit... I would like one, but I don't have the cash to actually put one together.

Actually, my first thought was: "if you got the cash to spend on the flight gear, why not up your tech to a full pit?"

Exactly, I built my first sim pit for less then $50 and it wasn't that complex, I will build another in a few years after we expand the house as we just don't have room for it right now. Also, I have no idea where people come off thinking that the flight gear is SO EXPENSIVE. Not counting the flight gear I have been issued I have put together a full fighter flight gear kit, suit, g-suit, harness, helmet, mask (working comms), boots, survival vests (AF and Navy) etc... for less then $150 by shopping around, hitting the right mil surpluss stores, ebay, and craigslist. Yes if you go for the brand new kit it can get into the thousands, but if you can use a needle and thread then pick up some slightly distressed or used pieces at yard sales, thrift shops, etc... and make it nice yourself. And I'm sorry even the helmet deco he has is easy, it's all tape people, unless he painted it himself.