The All Things Video Games Thread!

Dragon Age looks really awesome. I'm looking forward to it, and it should be a nice holdover until ME2.

Picked up the Wipeout HD Fury pack on PS3 last weekend, probably the most fun I've had with the system since MGS4. Looking forward to the new Ratchet as well.

I'm looking forward to Dragon Age the way I look forward to all Bioware games... that is, expecting that it will be good enough to necessitate a day one purchase, without really thinking about it in the mean time.

For now, it's all about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. Already finished the pro-registration side, now I'm going to play the anti-reg side. Mind you, the game isn't short at around 12 hours for my first play through. I've just been laid up for the last three days with nothing to do except play the game that was conveniently released the day before I injured myself.

yeah im holding out for Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 as my main focus, but in regards to this month,im gonna pick up mini ninjas,marvel ultimate alliance 2 and halo 3 ODST.

im still debating on weather or not to give SW:old republic a go,i like the concept,but i dont like the visual style or am a big fan of the mmo..ill probably give it a go tho.

Saw this, laughed, had to post. It's the abridged version of FF8:

"Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, CGI cutscene, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Summon, Draw/Stock,Draw/Stock,Draw/Stock, repeat".

"Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, CGI cutscene, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Draw/Stock, Summon, Draw/Stock,Draw/Stock,Draw/Stock, repeat".

:( I loved that game you know........ though I can't argue against that.

Edited by shiroikaze

Gotta add "Aura, Limit Break=>Renzokuken, Rinse, Repeat" for every later boss battle too.

Not the best FF game, but it was enjoyable enough.

There was a time when the word "Elite" was spelt properly:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8261272.stm

Elite was, and is, one of the best and most important video games of all time. In just 32K of code - of which 10K was taken up by the screen and other computer operations - David Braben and Ian Bell created the first open universe game, where - within the limits of the game engine - your path through the game was up to you. Its space combat system has been a major influence on many of the space combat games that followed it. And it also had one of the best instruction manuals ever, too; chock full of details that weren't actually important - or even in - the game but which helped create a living Universe in the players imagination where the graphics couldn't.

Right on, Commander!

A buddy of mine picked up the new Batman game this weekend and I gotta say, I am floored. Fun gameplay, a decent original story, nice graphics and classic voices from the animated show of the 90s really make this a fantastic game. Oh and tons of collectibles and homages to all manner of things in the Batman universe.

There was a time when the word "Elite" was spelt properly:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8261272.stm

Elite was, and is, one of the best and most important video games of all time. In just 32K of code - of which 10K was taken up by the screen and other computer operations - David Braben and Ian Bell created the first open universe game, where - within the limits of the game engine - your path through the game was up to you. Its space combat system has been a major influence on many of the space combat games that followed it. And it also had one of the best instruction manuals ever, too; chock full of details that weren't actually important - or even in - the game but which helped create a living Universe in the players imagination where the graphics couldn't.

Right on, Commander!

And the second sentence...

"Elite was released on 20 September 1984 for the BBC Microcomputer and was one of the first games to use 3D graphics."

Because apparently saying "The first open-ended game you can do whatever you want in" is less impressive than "the first 3D game if you ignore all those games like Battlezone and Star Raiders that had been pouring out for 5 years when it hit shelves."

Also:

http://elecbyte.com/

MUGEN, the original absurdly mismatched crossover fighting game, is back after 7 years of nothing.

Edited by JB0

I'm looking forward to Dragon Age the way I look forward to all Bioware games... that is, expecting that it will be good enough to necessitate a day one purchase, without really thinking about it in the mean time.

Fortunatly, every Bioware game I've played thus far has lived up to the hype. Mass Effect even exceeded it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, just tried out Dragon Age: Origins character creator. It wasn't as robust as I thought it would be...

I wish all MMOs put out character creators for free. :)

Yet again----I really only want a Wii for the retro games and remakes. (Still don't have one, still costs too much when I don't really want any actual Wii games)

Tatsunoko vs Capcom maybe?

Edited by shiroikaze

What? Carry-over pre-order bonus? Explain please--I've not seen anywhere that links the two.

If you pre-order the Collector's Edition of Dragon Age, they'll give an exclusive armor that can be used both in Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2.

http://kotaku.com/5377194/dragon-age-and-m...or-is-dead-sexy

Edited by shiroikaze

If you pre-order the Collector's Edition of Dragon Age, they'll give an exclusive armor that can be used both in Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2.

http://kotaku.com/5377194/dragon-age-and-m...or-is-dead-sexy

I don't think you have to get the Collector's Edition. I was told any edition would do, and from what I'm hearing the code for it will actually be shipped with every retail copy of the game.

Is there a female version too? So many DLC/exclusives are male-only when it comes to things like that.

Sorry, no clue. But I usually play Bioware's games twice; once as a "bad" guy, and once as a "good" girl. The Blood Dragon Armor is definitely going on my guy.

Edited by mikeszekely

Question:

Does anybody remember a side-scrolling Macross arcade game?

Controls were a joystick and 2 buttons.

Button 1 = shoot

Button 2 = Jump

Hold Button 2 = Transform to Fighter

I played it once around 1984 at a Chuck E. Cheese. I'm pretty sure I hadn't been introduced to Robotech yet, although the coolness of such a game did not escape me.

Any info or memories of it would be great.

It sounds a lot like Aeroboto/Formation Z. I barely remember playing this in the arcades-great times.

Question:

Does anybody remember a side-scrolling Macross arcade game?

Controls were a joystick and 2 buttons.

Button 1 = shoot

Button 2 = Jump

Hold Button 2 = Transform to Fighter

I played it once around 1984 at a Chuck E. Cheese. I'm pretty sure I hadn't been introduced to Robotech yet, although the coolness of such a game did not escape me.

Any info or memories of it would be great.

The Killing Floor free weekend on Steam just started a little while ago... and my god, my first foray into the game was pretty terrifying. At first the monsters start slow, you can pick them off at a distance; when you're not looking they get alot closer more than you want them to be. Next thing you know, all distances are pretty damn uncomfortable. Playing with people or solo, you're going to get pounded at all sides at all times.

Now I've gotten used to it, it's damn fun. Now this may be my first digital purchase... I'm torn. :(

The Killing Floor free weekend on Steam just started a little while ago... and my god, my first foray into the game was pretty terrifying. At first the monsters start slow, you can pick them off at a distance; when you're not looking they get alot closer more than you want them to be. Next thing you know, all distances are pretty damn uncomfortable. Playing with people or solo, you're going to get pounded at all sides at all times.

Now I've gotten used to it, it's damn fun. Now this may be my first digital purchase... I'm torn. :(

Just start at Beginner. I can't believe I pick Hard matches and I'm getting n00bs with level 0 perks and asking for level-up advice. :angry: Well first thing loser is learn how to play or I'm just gonna let you die and save my stuff for someone who knows how to play. Even more infuriating is these people with a couple of hours under their belt trying to tell me how to play the game I paid for at launch. :rolleyes:

The way you go about it is try to have people getting distance kills and others covering them. You're going to get overwhelmed at times so everyone needs to look out over everyone, calling for help and giving it. Always have an exit strategy and a backup gun you like. Plus don't do stupid poo(which you can figure out pretty quick hopefully what is stupid, but alot of free-weekend people haven't been... <_< )

Yeah, I went solo at normal first, got overwhelmed pretty quickly since I didn't know I was supposed to get to the trader. :p

I went into multiplayer soon after though, and well, "When in Rome do what the Romans do". Luckily for me, I've been playing with really great people and I got the hang of things pretty darn quickly. :)

Just one thing I don't like is when either I'm not paying attention or spend too long with the trader, I get separated from my teammates. Because their indicators don't appear unless I'm within a certain distance, I usually have to madly dash towards a general direction and hope I run into them and not a fleshpound :(

The way you go about it is try to have people getting distance kills and others covering them. You're going to get overwhelmed at times so everyone needs to look out over everyone, calling for help and giving it. Always have an exit strategy and a backup gun you like. Plus don't do stupid poo(which you can figure out pretty quick hopefully what is stupid, but alot of free-weekend people haven't been...

Been sticking with that ever since I got the hang of things. It's darn good advice. :)

Edited by shiroikaze

Any chance anyone here has Ico, and would be willing to "rent" it to me? It's nigh-impossible to find now, and I really don't want to pay $$$$$ just to play it once.

You wanna borrow mine you can, as long as I get it back :)