The All Things Video Games Thread!

I skimmed the last few pages and didn't see any mention of this potential gem.

From the makers of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus comes The Last Guardian

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-the-last/50284

We spoke of it in the PS3 thread, but this is no potential gem, it's a giant shining diamond made of love and tears. :)

From what I read somewhere, this game will conclude the trilogy.

Ahh ok, I managed to not read the PS3 thread. Still i think you're right, it's greatness is essentially assured.

I've managed to miss out on Ico and Shadow, though I saw Shadow played, I wont be missing this one.

I've managed to miss out on Ico and Shadow, though I saw Shadow played, I wont be missing this one.

You can pick up Shadow of the Colossus very cheaply nowadays... Ico on the other hand, is a bit harder to find. Oh wait... you have a Non-B/C PS3? :(

Well, someday they'll be in the PSN store...

Edited by shiroikaze

Actually mine is B/C, truth be told I've probably played more old games on it than new ones. Maybe I'll go hunt down a copy of Shadow.

Also, in terms of The Last Guardian, I really really hope the Penny Arcade prophecy is wrong: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/6/8/

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

• 2 weeks later...
Actually mine is B/C, truth be told I've probably played more old games on it than new ones. Maybe I'll go hunt down a copy of Shadow.

I've actually played more PS3 games than PS2, but I've probably put as many hours playing GoW1 and 2, Twisted Metal Black and SotC as most of my PS3 games. I;''ve considered thinning out my PS3 library, or atleast passing a few I'm finished with for good on to friends that haven't played them.

Did anybody pick up Ghostbusters? Not terribly far in it, maybe just around half way, but I really like the movie feel that was put into it. Not since Evil Dead Regeneratio has so much actual movie character been put into a licensed game.

I've actually played more PS3 games than PS2, but I've probably put as many hours playing GoW1 and 2, Twisted Metal Black and SotC as most of my PS3 games. I;''ve considered thinning out my PS3 library, or atleast passing a few I'm finished with for good on to friends that haven't played them.

I actually just borrowed SotC from a buddy, it's a lot of fun. I'd like to expand my PS3 library some truth be told, but so many of my friends opt for 360 over PS3 (even though several of us have both) it just makes sense for us all to get it on the same system, especially with games like Street Fighter 4.

On another note, while I know we have a Mass Effect thread, it looks like Bioware is hinting at a new piece of DLC for the first ME. They said to keep a look out next week for more potential info.

Did anybody pick up Ghostbusters? Not terribly far in it, maybe just around half way, but I really like the movie feel that was put into it. Not since Evil Dead Regeneratio has so much actual movie character been put into a licensed game.

I'm thinking of getting the PC version seeing how bad the PS3 one is.

Meh, complaints about the PS3 version are pretty overblown. And I can't help but wonder if it's some fixable glitch due to some error with the install.
More likely they simply ran out of video RAM and had to cut back on the textures, like several other PS360 games.

If you can't fit it in RAM, you can't fit it in RAM, and there's nothing that can really be done about it.

The 360's benefitted a great deal from the fact that it just has RAM instead of separate main RAM and graphics RAM.

If a game doesn't need a full 256 MB of main RAM, but DOES need more than 256 MB of graphics RAM, you can do that on the 360. You're stuck with a 256/256 split on the PS3.

The 360's benefitted a great deal from the fact that it just has RAM instead of separate main RAM and graphics RAM.

If a game doesn't need a full 256 MB of main RAM, but DOES need more than 256 MB of graphics RAM, you can do that on the 360. You're stuck with a 256/256 split on the PS3.

But couldn't they run it through both rams?

But couldn't they run it through both rams?

That's the thing... having dedicated video RAM means anything you need HAS to be present in video RAM before you can use it.

They could store it in main RAM until it was needed, but they'd have to have a few frames advance warning to clear some space and move it over to graphics RAM. And if they're being tidy, there's probably not a lot of "spare" data to move out.

It's Kotaku. Their EDITORS are retarded morons. What do you expect of their comments section, which draws the absolute bottom of the barrel out into the light on ANY site?

on a lighter note, moe fighting game by ex-capcom employee--for FREE:

http://kotaku.com/5306881/cute-fighting-and-totally-free

MobyGames has him listed as doing graphic design on 4 games. 2 are Capcom, 1 is Hudson, 1 is SNK/Playmore.

I suspect he's freelance.

I also suspect that MobyGames is fairly western-oriented and he's done art for more than 4 games in the last decade.

It's Kotaku. Their EDITORS are retarded morons. What do you expect of their comments section, which draws the absolute bottom of the barrel out into the light on ANY site?

I think you can generalize that to any gaming site out there... Though I like Kotaku really.

I think you can generalize that to any gaming site out there... Though I like Kotaku really.

Most gaming sites will not directly contradict an article they link to while discussing said link.

Most of the ones that WILL at least have the decency to not directly contradict a quoted excerpt they include in their own article.

But Kotaku? Will happily include a quote, then immediately go on to discuss the quoted portion and not only get it completely wrong, but DIRECTLY CONTRADICT it while explaining how wholeheartedly they agree with it.

But Kotaku? Will happily include a quote, then immediately go on to discuss the quoted portion and not only get it completely wrong, but DIRECTLY CONTRADICT it while explaining how wholeheartedly they agree with it.

I was talking about their commenters really...

But now I'm curious, which article was this?

Edited by shiroikaze

Bank Heist Causes Bank Run in EVE Onlne

I think the crew behind EVE Online set themselves up for this problem. I'd probably do it too.

As an EVE player I can say I'm not really surprised :p, though the scale of this is mind-boggling. Scamming and meta-gaming is so common in EVE that most players have developed a 6th sense to tune it out. It is also what makes this game stand out in the sea of MMO's (and why I love it).

I was talking about their commenters really...

But now I'm curious, which article was this?

I've seen it a few times.

I believe the most recent incident was an article about an editorial piece from a game developer about how game technology needed to evolve in more ways than just graphical impressiveness.

The article writer took it to be saying how game technology was evolving so amazingly fast because of the graphics.

The few commenters that called him on it got flamed religiously. It was embarrassing.

I believe the most recent incident was an article about an editorial piece from a game developer about how game technology needed to evolve in more ways than just graphical impressiveness.

The article writer took it to be saying how game technology was evolving so amazingly fast because of the graphics.

Well... that is one far-off statement, but I do think that there is some connection there... But I haven't read the article, so I can't really say anything.

Anyway, something to share via from Kotaku:

Remembering the Orphan: Final Fantasy VIII

Oh and, Happy Fourth of July everyone.

Just got a chance to play Blazblue tonight and my god is it awesome. I've been playing a lot of SF4, but this game is a really refreshing change. My only complaint would be a slightly small roster, but overall I highly recommend this game to anyone who is looking to expand their fighting game library.