The All Things Video Games Thread!

Guitar Hero III first game to reach $1 billion in sales...

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars...illion-in-sales

Not that impressive when you factor in that (1) GH III was released in two variations (bundled with guitar vs no guitar), (2) the GH III bundle costs a lot more than the average game, (3) it's a multi-platform game, and (4) the sales figure may or may not include DLC sales. But hey, it makes a great headline.

Not that impressive when you factor in that (1) GH III was released in two variations (bundled with guitar vs no guitar), (2) the GH III bundle costs a lot more than the average game, (3) it's a multi-platform game, and (4) the sales figure may or may not include DLC sales. But hey, it makes a great headline.

Does it really matter in this case :lol: ? Billion dollars in sales whether it's by itself or packed with fruit baskets is still a billion dollars. No more crazy than Wii Sports becoming the number one selling video game of all time.

Well I contributed to GHIII's success once again last week. :p The bundle with the wireless Les Paul and a copy of the game were on sale at Best Buy for $50. One of my wired Xplorer's finally went bad on me the week before. I'll probably sell this extra copy of GHIII to a friend or trade in for store credit.

Anybody looking for a new copy of GHIII for the 360??? :D

Kojima says he should quit being Japanese lol

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172266

I'm not a huge fan of Kojima but at least he gets it..

Yeah. He's long shown himself as one of the more intelligent people in the japanese gaming market.

He's not the only one to make statements like that, but he's one of the more visible. A LOT of the established japanese developers have grown frustrated with the way their companies conduct business.

Clover Studios is probably the most visible example.

Capcom got all their big-name developers out from under their roof and into a semi-independent company so they could make games without getting into arguments with their corporate overlords. And then they all left because Capcom's corporate overlords were coming in and telling them what to do anyways.

Still waiting to see their new company put some software out.

Hey gurus- quick question:

I remember this old arcade (?) game where your in a space ship, but you don't have too much control of where your going (you mostly just control where on the screen you shoot), but it was pretty cool because there were parts where your flying through fleets of ships and whatnot. The graphics (for the time) were pretty cool.

But I can't remember the name to save my life. Any ideas?

Drew, my guess would be Galaxy Force II.

Anyone else played Thunder Force VI? Fun, short game, but a little underwhelming...

Gee, I forgot about that game, but no.

This one was like an FPS kind of thing where your viewpoint is inside the spaceship. It basically follows a preset course allowing you to shoot away.

I remember this old arcade (?) game where your in a space ship, but you don't have too much control of where your going (you mostly just control where on the screen you shoot), but it was pretty cool because there were parts where your flying through fleets of ships and whatnot. The graphics (for the time) were pretty cool.

You've only described a ton of rail shooters. I like the Star Wars Trillogy. You can try looking here: http://www.vgmuseum.com/

How long ago did you play this game. It does sound like Galaxy force but it also sounds like another game I played once. Were you flying through clouds and asteroid fields?

Taksraven

Valkyria Chronicles is a great title.

On another Sega note, I picked up PS2 Thunder Force VI. It's...really easy. Like kiddie easy. For one, you have all weapons right at the start and don't lose them when you die. Now Overweapon is wayyyyyy too strong. After you beta the game, you can use other ships. Which have variants of the main weapons and you lose them when you die, which is what the default should have been and the no losing weapon ship should have been the unlocked prize. Levels are very short. Bosses are very easy. Buy it if you're a Thunder Force fan but be warned...you'll finish in no time. Too bad...TFIV still remains the best.

Drew, my guess would be Galaxy Force II.

Anyone else played Thunder Force VI? Fun, short game, but a little underwhelming...

yup :)

OK, why would a PS2 d-pad fail other than wear? My PS2's D-pad lost up and left, and trying to fiddle with it, now it doesn't work in any direction. The controller is only 2 or 3 years old, and didn't see much use as I got my 360 soon afterwards---really, Ace Combat Zero and VP 2 are about the only games it's seen. It's got FAR less hours etc than the old pad, and never saw 2D fighters or anything. Heck, the D-pad itself is almost brand-new.

OK, why would a PS2 d-pad fail other than wear? My PS2's D-pad lost up and left, and trying to fiddle with it, now it doesn't work in any direction. The controller is only 2 or 3 years old, and didn't see much use as I got my 360 soon afterwards---really, Ace Combat Zero and VP 2 are about the only games it's seen. It's got FAR less hours etc than the old pad, and never saw 2D fighters or anything. Heck, the D-pad itself is almost brand-new.

Is it a Sony controller? I never had any problems with my Dual Shock 2, and my Dual Shock 3 is pretty solid too, but my SIXAXIS feels cheap. Maybe certain batches from certain factories are just shoddy.

I'd use the excuse to get the Logitech wireless controller. They've been popping up kind of cheap lately, I've noticed. I bought one around the time I bought SMT: Nocturne, and it's the first (and pretty much only) third-party controller I've preferred to the first-party version. Solid feel, good vibration, and excellent battery life.

It's a launch-batch (but only recently opened and used) PS2 controller. I bought it because the one that came with my PStwo felt inferior to my launch PS2's. So I hunted around until I found some OLD stock controllers. Have used it since. My launch PS2 controller never wore out, but I sold it with my launch PS2. I didn't know newer ones weren't as good. (mainly it's the buttons, not the D-pad that's different---was very evident playing Ace Combat)

Possibly dirty. I had to open my first DualSuck 2 after a few months of ownership to clean it. Was losing sensitivity in the buttons after going on a shooting spree, and just tapping the fire button didn't register.

To be fair, I only had to do it once ever, but...

Take a pencil eraser to the electrical contacts(which are on the underside of the plastic circuit "board" if it's constructed like mine is).

I'm fairly comfortable with the process, being a shameless Atari 5200 fan.

The 5200 controllers are horrible horrible pieces of crap from a reliability standpoint, and breaking the sticks down becomes almost instinctive.

I'd probaby buy an original gameboy if they sold it as a 20th anniversary thing.

I still have two.

Great size and weight, excellent buttons and d-pad, HORRIBLE HORRIBLE displays.

I'd buy a GBA in an original GameBoy shell with original controls.

Maybe even a GameBoy Color.

But an original GB?

Aww, heck. They probably can't get the old LCD panels anyways. At worst it'd be a GameBoy Pocket with green-tinted screen in there.

Can anyone reccommend some halfway decent Wii games? I'm considering buying a Wii and Wii Fit, but would like to think that's not the only good game for that platform :)

Metroid Prime 3 is decent. The subfranchise has been going steadliy downhill, but it's still good.

I'd settle for a DS original GB game adapter, even if it required an extra battery to poewr the games.

Well, it'd have to be a complete GameBoy in a cart, like the old Super GameBoy.

There's no way to shift the GBA hardware in the DS into 8-bit mode(assuming the 8-bit hardware is still present), and the ROMs communicate use different voltages than the GBA mode even if they were understandable.

Not that it'd really be hard to do.

I've seen other devices that dump audio and video straight into the DS before, and an 8-bit GameBoy is CHEAP hardware at this point.

The big problem is convincing Nintendo there's money to be had there.

Can anyone reccommend some halfway decent Wii games? I'm considering buying a Wii and Wii Fit, but would like to think that's not the only good game for that platform :)

Mario Kart Wii, which is probably my second-favorite Mario Kart game after the DS version. Super Mario Galaxy, which is my favorite 3D Mario game. Super Paper Mario, which is probably my favorite Wii game over all. Yeah, you could add Metroid Prime 3 to the list, but I thought it was kind of boring. Likewise, Super Smash Bros Brawl was less entertaining to me than Melee was.

Super Mario 3, Punch Out for the virtual console. (seriously, it's what's demoing at the local BB, and they catch my eye more than anything else I see) Oh, and Castlevania III and ActRaiser just came out for it. If I ever get a Wii, I'm going to have Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy, and a TON of virtual console games.

Wii Sports, which comes with the system, is incredibly good.

The system is excellent for party games:

Excite Truck

Mario Kart

Smash Bros.

Raving Rabbids 1 and 2

Wii Play (which comes with a Wii Remote)

Wario Ware

For more traditional games:

Mario Galaxies

Metroid Prime 3

No More Heroes (No More Heroes 2 has already been announced!)

Twilight Princess

Metal Slug Anthology

There's also a great selection of Wii Ware and Virtual Console games.