Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

Here's the scan of the double page spread on the new TV series from the July 2007 issue of New Type Magazine.

Medium size scan. 3000x2121 pixels. 2.27MB.

Large size scan. 4960x3507 pixels. 5.66MB.

Graham

Thanks.

Looks like he's been revisiting the YF-21 and YF-19 for inspiration.

*Reads previous page* D'oh! :lol:

The character art style looks the same as with the Kiss Dum characters, which isn't suprising.

Edited by T.V.

The New VF looks like a total desgn mesh of the VF-19 & 22.

The preliminary designs look like a mesh between the VF-22, SWA-1 and the SV-51 (possibly with the engine verniers doubling as the feet like the SV-51). Though with the cockpit further back on the fuselage I can see how some see the Kissdum fighter in there too.

The Battroid is very reminiscent of his work on Eureka 7 and the Nissan mecha, which seems to be his new direction for robots these days.

Actually I may be wrong about the feet, it appears that the engines may end up on its back like the VF-22, if the sketches in the top right hand corner are any indicator...

Thanks for the scans Graham... :D

Edited by Zinjo

As always, the scans are very much appreciated Graham. This is great stuff, even just to see the early concept work.

I can really see the influence of the YF-21/VF-22 in these early fighter designs. It's hard to say which way Kawamori will go with the finished design. Based on the concept art for early work on his past Valkyries, sometimes the finished design is really close to his original sketches. In other cases, he's done a complete reworking to such a degree that the actual final design is nothing like the pictures that started the process.

I must say, I am really impressed with several of the head unit concepts. I've felt for a while that several of the latest Valkyries could really have used more detail and style in the head units.

The only thing that saddens me about the new Macross series so far is the knowledge that a proper book of line art is not likely to be forthcoming early in the release of this series. I'll have to get by on scans from magazines and such if I hope to build mecha profiles for inclusion on the M3. Oh, the burden of being a fan :)

Edited by Mr March

Remember these are rough sketches, not actual drawings. Things can change in the final design

The battroid seems to be following an Aquarion/M0/Eureka 7 feel to it. The heads (hero/cannon fodder heads) remind me more of those series so that looks seems to be where we're heading. It looks like he wants to separate the feet from the main engines ala-the-VF-22 but that could change.

The fighter design-direction reminds me more of a VF-5000. It looks like a modern VF-5000-ish design with both fighter and battroid mode. I wonder if he's gonna stay in that direction.

Thanks for the scans Graham. I'm liking the fighter design, the battroid could be good, but it is tough to judge on theses pics. I'm seeing a little of the YF-23 Black Widow II in the the rear of this fighter.

post-2177-1181766241_thumb.jpg

post-2177-1181766384_thumb.jpg

Edited by valk1j

Thanks for the scans Graham. I can't wait to see more of this.

You were saying? :lol:

Being at home with a fever and having not much else to do besides laying in bed, I had a "Big Froating Head" moment. ;)

I'm no Kawamori though and I half assed this sketch, not bothering much with perspective and spacing: Anime magic FTW!

I agree with Azreal's general assessment and based the drawing on that, besides on Kawasan's sketches.

I imagine the final design having a regal and angelic feel to it.

Slender legs, wings sprouting from the shoulders, engine exhausts on the back (think Classics Jetfire), etc.

post-4752-1181767285_thumb.jpg

I'm no Kawamori though and I half assed this sketch, not bothering much with perspective and spacing: Anime magic FTW!

That's an interesting interpretation. I like the general concept, but a bit of refinement would definitely make it look nicer. Nontheless, a fine sketch!

Thanks Graham, your help is much appreciated.

These new scans have brought hope back to my soul. I´m really liking the character designs, quite worthy of the 25th anniversary, with pointy ears and all ( I´m hoping they intagrate zentradi and zolan characters). They certainly have that Mikimoto appeal to them,although I´d still prefer his work, particularly in this project.

The cat issue is just paranoia IMO, it´s still to early and this is just conceptual work.

Anyway, I´m VERY glad with the valk designs so far. I really hope Kawamori keeps with the VF-5000-ish look. By the looks of things we´re looking at a post M+ series ( yay!), we have zentradi characters so it´s clearly post SW1, and the valks look more advanced than the VF-11.

I´m wondering if this new series will finally reveal the events of M0 as said when M0 was first released.What I think would be interesting is to see some kind of plan by the protoculture, and have humanity and the zentradi play different roles ( maybe not even consciousy ) as everything unfolds, while discovering how the AFOS event triggered everything.

I'm really liking this new valk design. I was kinda paranoid that we'd get some new, awkward looking design, but it seems like Kawamori is liking to make all the Macross planes have a sort of evolution from one generation to the next. That is a great thing, it's brings up the realism in the Mac universe.

Actually I may be wrong about the feet, it appears that the engines may end up on its back like the VF-22, if the sketches in the top right hand corner are any indicator...

I sure hope SK doesn't have the legs stored away in the belly and then pop out when it tranforms like the YF/VF-22... That is one of the wonkiest, and most disappointing, examples of anime magic in VF transformation.

You were saying? :lol:

Being at home with a fever and having not much else to do besides laying in bed, I had a "Big Froating Head" moment. ;)

I agree with Azreal's general assessment and based the drawing on that, besides on Kawasan's sketches.

I imagine the final design having a regal and angelic feel to it.

Slender legs, wings sprouting from the shoulders, engine exhausts on the back (think Classics Jetfire), etc.

Very nice sketch T.V. You pretty much got the idea pinned down based on doodles.

Those legs look too weird for me. Like gigantic sneakers or something.

So disappointed: I think with the introduction of bendy skin in macross plus that SK would put a face on the battroid that had a mouth that moved like characters in the transformers with articulated lips and moving chin. :D hehe Maybe they could have designed a crazy character who is a fan of basara who modifies the battroid to look like that as an in-joke? He would be like kakizaki from SDF:m and then get killed somewhere in the series while singing firebomber songs and trying to pull off some crazy stunt to show off.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Thanks for the scans!

I'm not that excited about this series. Atleast not as excited as I was with Macross Zero during these planning stages. What dissapointed me about Zero was that THERE WAS NO CAMEO APPEARANCE OF THE VF-1!!! :angry:

Everybody knows that all Macross Series includes the apearance of the beloved VF-1!!!!!!!

THERE WAS NO CAMEO APPEARANCE OF THE VF-1

The low visibility vf-1 should have appeared and then it could be upgraded to canon status. The gummy pilot in the flightsuit on the yamato 1/48 toy could then be roy. That would have been good. You would see the evolution from f14 (at the start of the ova) to vf0 (with transformation) to vf-1. ("we decided to make it look old and boxy" :D)

The inclusion of a cat will be interesting. I wonder if it will get spacesick and vomit in the cockpit while the pilot is flying around doing fancy acrobatics to avoid micromissile swarms. You've seen some of the crazy things the qrau does..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

The low visibility vf-1 should have appeared and then it could be upgraded to canon status. The gummy pilot in the flightsuit on the yamato 1/48 toy could then be roy. That would have been good. You would see the evolution from f14 (at the start of the ova) to vf0 (with transformation) to vf-1. ("we decided to make it look old and boxy" :D)

Yeah, the low-vis should have... :( tsk, tsk..

Good evolution analysis, "Old and Boxy". :lol: "and way smaller!" I'd say!

Edited by Bub

Thanks for the scans!

I'm not that excited about this series. Atleast not as excited as I was with Macross Zero during these planning stages. What dissapointed me about Zero was that THERE WAS NO CAMEO APPEARANCE OF THE VF-1!!! :angry:

Everybody knows that all Macross Series includes the apearance of the beloved VF-1!!!!!!!

Actually I liked that fact.

It allows Studio Nue and BigWest to alter the appearance of the VF-1 if they ever wanted to re-animate SDFM and distinguish it from the partly owned Tatsunoko version. I've always liked the idea that the "actual" VF-1 resembled the SWXA-1 which is more in line with the design elements of the variable fighters of subsequent series'.

Though it would be nice if we finally get to see actual Supervision Army forces in this series. :p

Very nice sketch T.V. You pretty much got the idea pinned down based on doodles.

Those legs look too weird for me. Like gigantic sneakers or something.

Thanks.

I based them on the leg doodles, which show a heavy Aquarion influence.

So, I figured he's contemplating on pulling a YF-21 and have the legs stored internally.

It would allow for more flexible legs and better feet, while not having to bother with aerodynamic efficiency.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Aquarion-ish direction the sketches are going.

They look too busy with needless details that don't look efficient.

I'm more of fan of the sleeker VF-0 approach to VF design.

I figured it would be interesting to see a blended-wing-body design, since that's more apparently futuristic IMO.

Doing something radical like making the landing gear part of the feet design, instead of the thrusters..

Based on the initial SV-51 sketches though, the design could evolve a lot.

Even the VF-1 of old started out vastly different from the design we came to love.

Eh, I dunno...that's a pretty boring looking valk if you ask me.

I was hoping for something different, like we saw with his "air chronicals" or whatever it was called. Continuity of design is nice, but look at an FH-1 Phantom and a F-4 Phantom, or a BAC Lightening and the Eurofighter.

I'm not saying it's a bad design, just that it seems uninspired and kinda boring at this point.

VF-1 CAMEO SOLUTION

We mentioned that there is a school story in this new series, so...

School means education rigth? :p

I imagine that in one of the episodes students will go a special place like

MACROSS AVIATION MUSEUM to understand the technology behind valkyries. In this museum VF-1 and also other valks are ready to see and there are some special big rooms to see them transforming in zero gravity.

What do you think? Just a suggestion :)

Edited by charger69

Interesting sketch TV, one glaring problem I see, if the engines are on the back, why are the intakes still on the legs? The intakes would need to be on the chest or back then in order to make it work. Otherwise nice work.

VF-1 CAMEO SOLUTION

Simpler would be a simple display piece (on a pole).

Just like current day practice, having the VF displayed as a museumpiece, showcasing its chapter in history. ;)

Interesting sketch TV, one glaring problem I see, if the engines are on the back, why are the intakes still on the legs? The intakes would need to be on the chest or back then in order to make it work. Otherwise nice work.

"Half assed" at it's best. ;)

I could say that the inlets lead into ducts feeding both the top rear and bottom rear engines (4 engine layout.. in the legs and on the back) in fighter mode and the top slits being the intake in battroid mode, but that would be BSing you. ;)

Just out of curiosity, it would be interesting to see a single engine layout design IMO.

Not thinking Kawamori would move away from his tried and tested 2 engine layout, but it would be a novel idea at least.

Eh, I dunno...that's a pretty boring looking valk if you ask me.

I was hoping for something different, like we saw with his "air chronicals" or whatever it was called. Continuity of design is nice, but look at an FH-1 Phantom and a F-4 Phantom, or a BAC Lightening and the Eurofighter.

I'm not saying it's a bad design, just that it seems uninspired and kinda boring at this point.

Thinking in the same vein.....i am one of the very few who like the VIC Viper from Zone of the Enders 2 game. :ph34r:

http://www.konami.jp/gs/game/zoe2/japanese/leo.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Viper#Zone_of_the_Enders

Very excellent designs! I can clearly see how this takes place after the VF-22. I personally LOVE the green sketch on the bottom left, next to Kawamori. The heads look like something from aquarion but from what I can tell the finalized versions of these will look great!

This reminds me a lot of what would later become Escaflowne, “Aerial Knightsâ€.

Very exceited and looking forward to the new Macross! :D

Regarding people's concern over the cat, let's not forget that Mikimoto drew several pictures of Misa with a cat. If they had shown up as design sketches...