Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

As usual people are freaking out before anything has really happened.

*Applauds*

I agree. So much concern over so little. This is GOOD news that a new Macross series is coming, but you'd never know it :)

Duke is Duke!

The cat worries me because it *could* say alot about where this series may go. The kicker here is that I think if it didn't have "Macross" tacked onto it, none of us would worry or care.

*Applauds*

I agree. So much concern over so little. This is GOOD news that a new Macross series is coming, but you'd never know it :)

Its a little like the reaction after Episode I & II. You were somewhat jaded by the time III came around.

Regarding people's concern over the cat, let's not forget that Mikimoto drew several pictures of Misa with a cat. If they had shown up as design sketches...

We wouldn't have given a damn, because we were kids who didn't know about Macross yet. :p

Like others said, this is just preliminary stuff. Way too early to tell.

Animal sidekicks do not ruin a show or make it great.

That's all down to the writing and direction, which can't be gauged by finished art even.

The most that can be said about the cat is that it is an attempt to make the character cute, which isn't neccesarely a bad thing.

This production being aimed at teens was to be expected, considering that's always been the prime market for (mecha) anime.

Edited by T.V.

The cat worries me because it *could* say alot about where this series may go. The kicker here is that I think if it didn't have "Macross" tacked onto it, none of us would worry or care.

Well its tacked to Macross now...and I still don't worry or care.

did anyone translate the text? there are some very encouraging indicators: Kawamori says the reason he didn't do a new TV series for such a long time was because the technology was not there to do a TV series that fans who watched the OVA series' could appreciate. Time and budget are much larger factors in TV making it harder to produce the same level of quality in TV series. However, after doing Aquarion, Kawamori now sees the ability to produce a TV series with production values that could be comparable enough to OVAs that fans of the OVAs wouldn't be disappointed by it. He feels that after 25 years from the 1st series, he will finally be able to make the kind of TV series that he's always wanted to see. He also adds that he likes "prototypes," therefore he wanted to work with an up and coming singer that could mature with the production of the show rather than working with someone who is already completely matured as a professional singer (sounds like a high risk high reward type deal).

Then of course there's the discouraging indicator as well, the one we've all already heard about, how he wants to always do something new with each production, even if it's a sequel, and how this one is gonna be about teenage students in their golden years, and how he wants teenagers to view this series above all.

Well, hell, everyone's been saying it's too early to tell how it's gonna be so I'm gonna stay optimistic. I may be too old to fit the demographic but who knows I might still like it. ^^;

Edited by cyde01

Well, hell, everyone's been saying it's too early to tell how it's gonna be so I'm gonna stay optimistic. I may be too old to fit the demographic but who knows I might still like it. ^^;

Many people on this board are too old for the target demographic. <_<

As for wanting to do something new....he's said that many times that each Macross does things just a bit different from the rest. This ain't your daddy's Macross.

Many people on this board are too old for the target demographic. <_<

As for wanting to do something new....he's said that many times that each Macross does things just a bit different from the rest. This ain't your daddy's Macross.

that's pretty obvious... well I hope the kids and the fangirls like it, cuz it looks like more kiddy grade crap.

did anyone translate the text? there are some very encouraging indicators: Kawamori says the reason he didn't do a new TV series for such a long time was because the technology was not there to do a TV series that fans who watched the OVA series' could appreciate. Time and budget are much larger factors in TV making it harder to produce the same level of quality in TV series. However, after doing Aquarion, Kawamori now sees the ability to produce a TV series with production values that could be comparable enough to OVAs that fans of the OVAs wouldn't be disappointed by it. He feels that after 25 years from the 1st series, he will finally be able to make the kind of TV series that he's always wanted to see. He also adds that he likes "prototypes," therefore he wanted to work with an up and coming singer that could mature with the production of the show rather than working with someone who is already completely matured as a professional singer (sounds like a high risk high reward type deal).

Encouraging, means a Basara character will not be returning. The show seems to be going back to it's roots with a Minmay type character.

Then of course there's the discouraging indicator as well, the one we've all already heard about, how he wants to always do something new with each production, even if it's a sequel, and how this one is gonna be about teenage students in their golden years, and how he wants teenagers to view this series above all.

Not necessarily a bad thing. If done right it could be quite good. No one complains about the teenage cast from Evangelion, so we'll have to see.

If they dumb it down like Mac7, then I'd have to agree, but if they go back to their roots and target adolescents this could be a fun series....

I think it is much to early to set our opinions on what the mecha and character designs are going to look like in stone. There is still a lot of development to come and from the early sketches this is pretty obvious. I look forward to a new show coming out finally, and hope to see more pics and sketches of the designs as they develope before I form an opinion of them. As for the story line about an academy or some such thing, I hope the entire series is not centered around a group of half trained wannabes. The characters would need to develope and graduate from training in order to step into the forefront of a good battle senario, and what is Macross without some sort of conflict envolving the mecha? There is going to be combat of some kind, and I would expect that newbies would not be sent to the front lines unless the fully trained pilots had all already been killed in action. Sure there may be a rising star or two at the academy, but if you throw a kid in the deep end too soon too many times they are going to start sinking sooner or later without skilled help.

I think it is much to early to set our opinions on what the mecha and character designs are going to look like in stone. There is still a lot of development to come and from the early sketches this is pretty obvious. I look forward to a new show coming out finally, and hope to see more pics and sketches of the designs as they develope before I form an opinion of them. As for the story line about an academy or some such thing, I hope the entire series is not centered around a group of half trained wannabes. The characters would need to develope and graduate from training in order to step into the forefront of a good battle senario, and what is Macross without some sort of conflict envolving the mecha? There is going to be combat of some kind, and I would expect that newbies would not be sent to the front lines unless the fully trained pilots had all already been killed in action. Sure there may be a rising star or two at the academy, but if you throw a kid in the deep end too soon too many times they are going to start sinking sooner or later without skilled help.

Who says you can't have conflict involving mecha at a training academy? Isamu and Guld weren't exactly on the front lines either. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a training academy and a test pilot/prototype competition.

IF it is about a flight academy, (and that's a big assumption given the small amount of info we have to go on), it could be a terrific foundation for mecha combat. Top Gun was about a flight academy too. I'm not saying that was a good movie, but there was plenty of drama and suspense in the dogfighting scenes even if most of those scenes were training and not actual life and death combat.

I actually kind of hope the new series IS about a valkyrie flight academy.

That would be pretty interesting IMO. ...Lots of potential in a story like that.

ok, I got the question, right now it's june, the 25th anniversary is in october right? that just leaves 4 months left (yeiii!), but my concern is this, we're at the stage that the singing idol has been chosen and is probably recording, we have just seen some very very very rough sketches and doodles, in the 25h anniversary, will the new Macross series be announced with a launch date or will it be launch?? is there enough time for it? I wouldn't want all this excitement and when octeber comes to just get a trailer with a launch date for next year...

Who says you can't have conflict involving mecha at a training academy? Isamu and Guld weren't exactly on the front lines either. There isn't a whole lot of difference between a training academy and a test pilot/prototype competition.

IF it is about a flight academy, (and that's a big assumption given the small amount of info we have to go on), it could be a terrific foundation for mecha combat. Top Gun was about a flight academy too. I'm not saying that was a good movie, but there was plenty of drama and suspense in the dogfighting scenes even if most of those scenes were training and not actual life and death combat.

I actually kind of hope the new series IS about a valkyrie flight academy.

That would be pretty interesting IMO. ...Lots of potential in a story like that.

In Mac+ Isamu and Guld were test pilots that were directly competeing with each other. No real combat was ever expected to take place in project super nova. None did, other than the training "accident", until Isamu stole the YF19 and took it to earth, and that was a rather short show in terms of episodes. I think this show will be a bit longer than Plus, and will have a broader scope than a competition between two rivals. Also to address the "Top Gun" comment, that movie while not well done, was about already trained pilots who were going through advanced air combat training not rank beginers starting on their initial training program. I did not mean that no combat at all would take place at an academy, but it would be against drones or against other trainees or instructors useing painballs. How long would it take for that being the only combat to lose it's appeal? I think eventually the characters would have to graduate so we could see what these new mecha can really do in a serious fight.

I suspect the series is probably already underway, at the very least all the designs and scripts are finished and Satelite is already building models and doing preliminary renders of sequences. There is no reason for Bigwest to publish any finalized designs so early on. They can release more and more in the many publications as the months progress toward the October premier. Thus building momentum for the show.

Mac Zero pretty much put all it's cards on the table and the interest may have peaked early for the project.

It is also conceivable that many of the fully rendered shots are well underway if SK wants to maintain the same production quality of Macross Zero, Satelite will require suffifcient lead time to complete the shots to be edited into the weekly episodes.

One thing is a real possiblity, that the series won't run to a 49 episodes like Mac 7 did...

One thing is a real possiblity, that the series won't run to a 49 episodes like Mac 7 did...

I hope so. Even though I enjoyed Mac7, the series did seem like it was artificially drawn out in order to meet the criteria of their contract. If the new Macross series is around 25 - 35 episodes that should be enough to sufficiently flesh out all the characters while keeping the story moving at a steady pace.

so YOU'RE the one! :p

It was society that did it to me, I swear! :D

HAHAHA. Zing! take that march o dimes!!! lol.

I'm going to blame you for that :):p

I liked the Phantom Edit version better.... :p

Never seen that version. I may have to check it out.

Guys, we were only talking about valkyries by now.

But remember!

We will see most probably a brand new SDF-XX also!!

How about a SDF-25 :)

Or we will continue on planet Eden??

Edited by charger69