Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

The 25 is obviously just a placeholder name because it is the 25th anniversary. Don't be silly.

Probably, but i am hoping for a VF-25.

I would reserve judgement on what Kawamori has up his sleeve for the story until i see at least the first 3 eps. We have to remember that Macross is a relatively small franchise. Of the series in it, Mac7 and Mac0 had the metephysical stuff and SDF:M and Mac+ were more realistic.

As i said before if this new series does have mystical content i just hope they try to explain it properly. (not that lazy-assed explination in Mac7 or the no-explination in Mac0)

My ideal Macross TV series would cover the fate of Hikaru, Misa and Minmei in deep space. From what I`ve read in this thread there is about 0 chance of that happening but theres always hope.

I find it funny how none of the metaphysical stuff in Plus is acknowledged, simply because it was being performed by a computer :)

Sort of case in point.

The events in Sharon's final concert can be explained easily in that she was using holograms and some sort of mass hypnosis. Now if the events in Mac0 or 7 could be explained this easily there would be no arguement. I'd say these two series would be far less confusing if there was more emphasis on explaination and realism rather than relying on mysticism and suspension of disbelief. I don't really mind the fantasic content in many sci-fi anime, i just want to not have to suspend my disbelief all the time.

Now back on topic, is the series slated for a september premeire?

I find it funny how none of the metaphysical stuff in Plus is acknowledged, simply because it was being performed by a computer :)

I'll just repaste my post from another thread:

On the 'spiritua' thing, two things I took away from Macross 7 in context to the other series. First, it does not seem to me that spiritua is intended to be as "magical" as the directing in 7 often makes it out to be. I imagine if Kawamori directed a DYRL style movie version of M7, you wouldn't see the glowing light shooting from Basara or Mylene as they break in to song, it was more of a visual interpretation for the audience. Rather, it seems to be more of an emotional/willpower sort of idea. Technologicially, the Protoculture were able to tap into that. On another level, the Protodevlin can draw sustenance from it.

"Anima spiritua" seems to be a regenerating form of this will/energy/emotion. Anyone "could" create anima spiritua. Basara is not some superhuman because he's able to generate it, rather he simply has the right mindset/attitude, and the willpower to do so. In fact, it seemed to me a major plot point and the entire crux of the story was Basara trying to convince everyone of this, though he didn't think of it in terms of spiritua, but rather an outlook on life.

I agree with you Keith. I simply believe it's a matter of presentation. In M7, it's presented in a way that seems like magical power beams, whereas if Kawamori had done M7, while someone else did Plus, it probably would have been presented in a way that would have been more palatable to fans of Plus. Additionally, I also think Arthur C. Clark's "any significantly advanced technology" comment applies to Protoculture technology such as the "magical" things we see in Zero.

*edit*

Just thought I'd add, I prefere the Plus approach (and Zero, given it's context). I hope any new series takes more that sort of approach, though I'm definitely a fan of the themes (which are not at all different from the themes in every other Macross presentation) and characters from M7. I'd also prefere a new era and new characters explored. New mecha, too, unless they give us a series based around the VF-4 (I realize I'm in the minority opinion with my adoration of that particular VF). Of course, hopes and idle speculation are just that. I'm looking forward to having some actual news on the series, it's setting, mecha, and characters.

Edited by Radd

Now back on topic, is the series slated for a september premeire?

Most likely, October.

Somebody mentioned that Egan Loo & Graham have contacts with Big West & Yamato. I was wondering if Egan & Graham aren't having a bit of a blast with all of our idle speculation and what we hope to see & not see.

Assuming they even know enough to say anything.

I'll just repaste my post from another thread:

I agree with you Keith. I simply believe it's a matter of presentation. In M7, it's presented in a way that seems like magical power beams, whereas if Kawamori had done M7, while someone else did Plus, it probably would have been presented in a way that would have been more palatable to fans of Plus. Additionally, I also think Arthur C. Clark's "any significantly advanced technology" comment applies to Protoculture technology such as the "magical" things we see in Zero.

*edit*

Just thought I'd add, I prefere the Plus approach (and Zero, given it's context). I hope any new series takes more that sort of approach, though I'm definitely a fan of the themes (which are not at all different from the themes in every other Macross presentation) and characters from M7.

I'd have to agree. I'd be particularly interested in picking the man's brain as to what his "vision" of Mac 7 was intended to be. If we explore all the stuff he has directed in the Mac universe, it is much different from how Mac 7 was presented, some have pointed out that his story telling is more westernized compared to his contemporaries.

As for the Mac 25 title, I'm aware it's a placeholder, but these days who knows... :rolleyes::p

===============================================

Last update:

Jun.7, 2007

1:16(Japan Standard Time)

===============================================

Jun.7, 2007

The news from Macross Official website

http://www.macross.co.jp

Jul, There is a new live "Listen my song!!"(オレã®æ­Œã‚’èžã‘ï¼ï¼‰by JOYSOUND.

Macross fans will use the new Karaoke music box sing popular Macross songs(Macross 7 + DYRL)

But Offical said that Live detail is coming, please wait...

The other info in here:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/ld_anime02/archives/50977172.html

The fans will gain something in this Live

1ã€Macross 25th Concert ticket

2ã€Macross 7 DVD Box

Edited by kresphy

I hope they're both on board. Beyond doing the tech designs, I'm not concerned with exactly how much Kawamori is involved so long as the show turns out decent.

I'm not certain I understand the sentiment against him, though. He's only really made on OVA that people didn't fall all over with glee, and that was Zero. Macross 7, which seems to split the fanbase, is exactly what Terry suggest, Kawamori did the basic plot, and other writers handled the rest, and yet another person directed.

At least, that's how I understand it.

I'm not certain I understand the sentiment against him, though. He's only really made on OVA that people didn't fall all over with glee, and that was Zero. Macross 7, which seems to split the fanbase, is exactly what Terry suggest, Kawamori did the basic plot, and other writers handled the rest, and yet another person directed.

After accepting that Macross 7 was supposed to be a whimsical satire, I actually enjoyed watching it. Now let's look at some other projects that Kawamori had a heavy hand in.

• Macross Dynamite 7 - No real parody here, but the story was terribly bland. With the exception of Liza (who got precious scant screentime), the new characters were forgettable. In the end, the story was pointless and contributed nothing valuable to the Macross chronology. And oh yeah, there was oodles of nature loving going on.

• Macross Zero - A very serious setting with a bland, and at times absurd, plot. Again, the characters were typical of what you'd find in any other generic anime, yawn. In a surprise to no one, the ending was pointless and contributed nothing of value to the chronology (the events of Zero were apparently swept under the carpet in the Macross universe). And oh yeah, there was oodles of nature loving going on.

• Arjuna - Only saw the first episode, but the story was absolute drivel and featured even more oodles of nature loving.
If Kawamori is heavily involved with the new Macross series (which I imagine he is), I expect the first two episodes to show tremendous potential, then it'll all fall apart under a predictable storyline, cookie-cutter characters, and tons of nature loving. Can't Kawamori just put out a new mecha artbook and leave it at that :p Edited by TheLoneWolf

At least, that's how I understand it.

Obviously you didn't watch Earth Girl Arjuna or any of the other random vaugely explained "OMG HUMANS NEED TO DIE THEY POLLUTE TEH EARTH" unsubtle preachy Captain Planet stuff he has been putting out in the last ten years or so. And then there's Spring and Chaos, omg it's a biopic about a writer, but everyone is anthropomorphic animals for no reason, or would you enjoy some mediocre mecha shows with vauge spiritual crap and CG robots that clash badly with 2D environments and characters? Because he's got you covered there, too.

I don't think Kawamori has done anything good where he was the sole director. Even Macross Plus was co-directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, the director of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo.

No, I haven't watched Arjuna, so I can't comment there. Still, a lot of these complaints baffle me. "Contributed nothing to the chronology"? Not everything needs to be a major, history making event. One might very well be able to argue the point with Zero, though. Yes, the events were classified, but the series adds the VF-1 testbed plane to the chronology, and introduces aspects which could easily be expanded upon in a later series. Keith keeps bringing up how he'd like to see a series tie in humanity's first encounter with the Protoculture (In Zero!) with a big end all series and mankinds final "test". I can definitely see what he's getting at there. There's definitely enough there to set up a 'passing of the torch' between the galaxy's outgoing major civilization with the rising human civilization across the galaxy.

"Oodles of nature loving"? I can understand it not being a theme one might be particularly interested in, but in Dynamite and Zero it was not really the central theme, and there was plenty of other things going on. Neither series was exactly "Captain Planet NATURE IN UR FACE YO!"

And actually, while most of the characters IN Zero were never fleshed out all that much, I really appreciated that Shin broke out the stereotype he starts out as. Grim, humourless loner. Best at what he does, but too unfriendly to make friends. He busts out of that pretty quickly. From a writing perspective, I'd say he breaks out of the archetype mold more solidly than Guld or Isamu.

Can't say I see M7 as whimsical satire. Seems more like a good story that just got bogged down with less than stellar writing and directing. Between the themes, characters, and overall story I find more than enough to enjoy it, but...well, I've stated my view on that already in this thread.

I haven't seen Spring and Chaos in years, but I recall enjoying that aside from the terrible CG. I don't see why the anthro animal thing puts you off so much. Seemed a rather stylistic thing to me.

But I digress. Even though we might not see eye to eye on the specific points, I can see why people might not want Kawamori involved beyond "OMGM7sucks!", which is usually what I see people saying, and I can certainly understand that. Kawamori did Aquarion too, didn't he? That didn't really hold my attention. It just seems to me that the absolute vehemence directed towards his storytelling capabilities is more than slightly exaggerated.

To be fair, I will admit that Kawamori does tap excellent songwriters and composers. The soundtracks to Dynamite, Zero, and Arjuna were very well done.

Agreed, and as far as that goes we can hope he does the same with this new series no matter his level of inveolement otherwise. Again, I just hope the show is "good". The other details I'm far less concerned with.

And actually, while most of the characters IN Zero were never fleshed out all that much, I really appreciated that Shin broke out the stereotype he starts out as. Grim, humourless loner. Best at what he does, but too unfriendly to make friends. He busts out of that pretty quickly. From a writing perspective, I'd say he breaks out of the archetype mold more solidly than Guld or Isamu.

You're right on that one, it was refreshing to see Shin develop as a character. It just seemed cliche' that he grew out of his shell, then died (at least in the physical sense) shortly thereafter.

Can't say I see M7 as whimsical satire. Seems more like a good story that just got bogged down with less than stellar writing and directing. Between the themes, characters, and overall story I find more than enough to enjoy it, but...well, I've stated my view on that already in this thread.

It was definitely a satire, albeit an enjoyable one.

• Valkyries that look like rockstars
  • Instead of rounds, Basara fires stereo speakers
  • Instead of a HOTAS setup, Basara uses a guitar to pilot his VF
  • Battle 7's main cannon was actually a gun. A gun that it needed to point while holding it in its hand
  • In order to fire Battle 7's main cannon, Captain Max also has to hold a little gun in his hand and pull on its trigger
  • Sound boosters that, inexplainably, just had to be launched seperately and then attach themselves to Firebomber in the midst of battle
  • The gunpod Gamma
  • One of the best pilots (Basara) ever featured in a Macross series, and he absolutely abhors violence
  • One of the first pilots to get knocked out in episode 1 (Docker) returns from his coma and is suddenly put in charge of Battle 7's elite squad, Emerald Force. Did UN Spacy forget that they have several other more qualified pilots? Namely all the pilots who survived past the first episode? :lol:

The list could go on, but Macross 7 definitely parodied a lot of the elements from SDF Macross. This comes as no surprise since Macross itself was originally envisioned as a parody and ended up retaining some of those elements when it finally aired.

After accepting that Macross 7 was supposed to be a whimsical satire, I actually enjoyed watching it. Now let's look at some other projects that Kawamori had a heavy hand in.

[*]Macross Dynamite 7 - No real parody here, but the story was terribly bland. With the exception of Liza (who got precious scant screentime), the new characters were forgettable. In the end, the story was pointless and ...

Nooooooooooooo, I think it is a good thing.

There is a truth, The Macross series become Kawamori personal Macross.

So what, Because every Kawamori produces include some special things, Peace Hope, Environment Problem, Overpopulation... Kawamori think give us some deep things, not only War.

We do not like Macross 7 and Zero, becasue the Aliens mechan have Super Power and non-Robot Surface. Aliens must have Robot like Zentraedi, isn't it?

BTW, Macross 25 include Battle 25 and City 25...

hey hey hey

^^

and...

I am 1000 post~~~~~~~~~

Edited by kresphy

Nooooooooooooo, I think it is a good thing.

There is a truth, The Macross series become Kawamori personal Macross.

So what, Because every Kawamori produces include some special things, Peace Hope, Environment Problem, Overpopulation... Kawamori think give us some deep things, not only War.

SDF Macross (1982) was about war so it makes sense that most Macross fans like stories about war. If we wanted to watch stories about the environment and so called overpopulation and other left wing doomsday bullshit then we`d watch an old American cartoon called Captain Planet.

Macross is about Love also, there has to be some type of (dare i say) love triangle or a few separate developing couples.

Plus didn't work out as well as SDF (for the obvious reason there wasn't enough time in an OVA to build on the story) and i haven't watched 7 or Zero but i imagine Zero doesn't have squat like SDF has for lovey dovey stuff.

That's what made Macross king for me as a kid, good ol Hik, Mis and Minny (rick, lisa and minmay as first experienced :p )

Anyone thinks that their enjoyment factor was not influenced by the original love triangle is kidding themselves. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Macross is about Love also, there has to be some type of (dare i say) love triangle or a few separate developing couples.

Plus didn't work out as well as SDF (for the obvious reason there wasn't enough time in an OVA to build on the story) and i haven't watched 7 or Zero but i imagine Zero doesn't have squat like SDF has for lovey dovey stuff.

That's what made Macross king for me as a kid, good ol Hik, Mis and Minny (rick, lisa and minmay as first experienced :p )

Anyone thinks that their enjoyment factor was not influenced by the original love triangle is kidding themselves. :p

Word! Of course the love triangle and cute girls was also key (One of the reasons I liked Macross 7 in the end - cool love triangle and Mylene) , as was music, but I`m still not seeing why fans of SDF Macross should like a Kawamori series about "deep" topics like the environment when SDF Macross was primarily about War (and love triangles and music).

Edited by MilSpex

"Oodles of nature loving"? I can understand it not being a theme one might be particularly interested in, but in Dynamite and Zero it was not really the central theme, and there was plenty of other things going on. Neither series was exactly "Captain Planet NATURE IN UR FACE YO!"

By the way, I think Dynamite has just a little Kawamori more than the film of Escaflowne. Macross 7 was a project he had not his hands on in a heavy way (most mecha design was even refined by Miyatake), it wouldn't make sense he were more involved Dynamite, despite what the ending photography could make think.

Macross Zero was more about culture.

And actually, while most of the characters IN Zero were never fleshed out all that much, I really appreciated that Shin broke out the stereotype he starts out as.

One of the main flaw of Macross Zero is the baddies, which were hastily characterized, especially Ivanov. Aside from this I like Shin, he comes off more mature than most anime lead character. He just needed to be designed more consistently.

Can't say I see M7 as whimsical satire. Seems more like a good story that just got bogged down with less than stellar writing and directing.

There are indeed parodic elements, but not demential humour like Spaceballs (well, maybe the Battle 7 was a tad off, although still cool) so the story can still be appreciated in its own.

I haven't seen Spring and Chaos in years, but I recall enjoying that aside from the terrible CG. I don't see why the anthro animal thing puts you off so much. Seemed a rather stylistic thing to me.

In one novel of Miyazawa people turn into cats at the end. The movie makes several metanarrative references to Miyazawa. For example, the beginning references the quote "We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey." I found the beginning of Spring and Chaos one of the most poignant sequence ever. In Aquarion once there is a reference to the "mechanism of universe", maybe it's something from Miyazawa.

Kawamori did Aquarion too, didn't he?

Yes. The best episodes of Aquarion were his (either the serious ones and the comic ones). The other people were not always on par.

It just seems to me that the absolute vehemence directed towards his storytelling capabilities is more than slightly exaggerated.

I like Kawamori for his mecha, characters and ideas. In his anime there are a lot of awesome sequences. I noticed though that he'd need someone good to write "filler" contents between the concepts he likes to talk about.

FV

I think Graham has the right idea. We should avoid irrational and ill fitting left/right diatribes (which, last I checked, were wisely considered verboten on this forum anyways), and concentrate on what we know or speculate of the upcoming show. Personally, I don't believe Macross' primary themes have ever, not from DYRL to M7 or Zero, strayed much from the main themes and ideas in SDF. Presentation is what has changed, and that's pretty much it. They've given more weight to some themes over others, but they're the same themes we grew up with Hikaru, Minmay, Misa, and all the rest. I don't expect this to change with the new series, but the question of presentation is certainly valid.

As for the name? As far as I know there is no set name yet. Isn't that just a placeholder for the show given it's the 25th anniversary or somesuch? Until there's an official announcement of the series name I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

It was definitely a satire, albeit an enjoyable one.

• Valkyries that look like rockstars
  • Instead of rounds, Basara fires stereo speakers
  • Instead of a HOTAS setup, Basara uses a guitar to pilot his VF
  • Battle 7's main cannon was actually a gun. A gun that it needed to point while holding it in its hand
  • In order to fire Battle 7's main cannon, Captain Max also has to hold a little gun in his hand and pull on its trigger
  • Sound boosters that, inexplainably, just had to be launched seperately and then attach themselves to Firebomber in the midst of battle
  • The gunpod Gamma
  • One of the best pilots (Basara) ever featured in a Macross series, and he absolutely abhors violence
  • One of the first pilots to get knocked out in episode 1 (Docker) returns from his coma and is suddenly put in charge of Battle 7's elite squad, Emerald Force. Did UN Spacy forget that they have several other more qualified pilots? Namely all the pilots who survived past the first episode? :lol:
The list could go on, but Macross 7 definitely parodied a lot of the elements from SDF Macross. This comes as no surprise since Macross itself was originally envisioned as a parody and ended up retaining some of those elements when it finally aired.

If Mac 7 is a parody of the existing Mac universe, that would go a looong way for it to gain my acceptance! The irony of a show lampooning it's own universe, considering SDFM was initially going to do that very thing, is quite palatable... :D

I wouldn't say Basara is "One of the best pilots ever featured in a Macross series", however he was the one of best ones flying at the time of Mac 7. The best ever = Max (who still had it, albeit a bit rusty) commented on Basara's skill, but never went so far as to say the singer was better than him.

Macross 7 makes much more sense looking at it as a parody. Even with that, the show is severely hurt by low production values and too high of an episode count.

But this is all totally besides the point. What we have to hope for is a production that exceeds what Macross Zero was. I don't think the franchise can afford another dud like that. Its been 12 years since Macross Plus...

Macross 7 makes much more sense looking at it as a parody. Even with that, the show is severely hurt by low production values and too high of an episode count.

But this is all totally besides the point. What we have to hope for is a production that exceeds what Macross Zero was. I don't think the franchise can afford another dud like that. Its been 12 years since Macross Plus...

I wouldn't go as far as to say that Macross Zero was a dud. It had everything that a Macross fan could ask for: music, love, war...a plot. The detail in the animation of the Valkyries transforming was awesome too if you ask me. In my opinion, Macross Zero in its entirety is at least 10 times better than most of the new anime out there. Aside from Bleach, Gurren Lagann, Eureka Seven, Ghost in the Shell, School Rumble, and Naruto (the latter of which I'm slowly starting to care less for)...there really hasn't been anything else out there that I'd consider good. Again...I wouldn't go as far as saying that Macross Zero is a dud. I'm just glad that Macross is still alive and kicking...that we're getting a new series!

Keep in mind Plus was not as well received in Japan as it was here... Mac 7 was more popular, however considering Plus was more of a mature theme, and Japanese adults tend to be wary of anime since the stigma of the Otaku killer, it is no real surprise 7 did better in terms of ratings.

If Mac 7 is a parody of the existing Mac universe, that would go a looong way for it to gain my acceptance! The irony of a show lampooning it's own universe, considering SDFM was initially going to do that very thing, is quite palatable... :D

I wouldn't say Basara is "One of the best pilots ever featured in a Macross series", however he was the one of best ones flying at the time of Mac 7. The best ever = Max (who still had it, albeit a bit rusty) commented on Basara's skill, but never went so far as to say the singer was better than him.

The Macross 7 pilots were the worst cannon fodders ever, they couldn't even get a decent shot away before getting blown up, at least in the old SDFM we see them take out a pod and then bite the dust.

They even got to face a Zentradi fleet against old Q-Rau's in superior VF-11 that's supposed to be miles ahead of the old VF-1's and yet they could not even put up a fight, even Milia on her old VF-1 got to kick ass

Their elite pilot, Gamlin and Docker, weren't that very good, only cool character was Kynriu; Diamond force got destroyed twice and even Emerald foce in the mightly VF-19 got destroyed also, so in conclusion, Basara wasn't that good a pilot, it was just that the pilots around him were soooooo bad that he looked good, besides, he just had to dodge fire...

Need to have sad times in the new series, SDF killed off heaps of the goodies :( Roy, Kaki, Global etc, in Plus we saw Guld

die and that was seriously sad but got seriously cool in the movie version, DAMN that was cool (Roys death in DRYL was a

bit lame.. Guld died with style) Look at Nadesico, poor Joe! JOOEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :(

Sad deaths spark a good series!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

He never got any conclusion if Global and the rest of the bridge crew besides Misa were killed

and oh yeah, I totally hated how they killed Roy in DYRL, it was pathetic, getting killed by and unnamed zentradi soldier...LAME!! the TV version was so much honorable

Need to have sad times in the new series, SDF killed off heaps of the goodies :( Roy, Kaki, Global etc, in Plus we saw Guld

Global didn't die in SDFM.... "Gloval" died in Robowreck... :p

He never got any conclusion if Global and the rest of the bridge crew besides Misa were killed

and oh yeah, I totally hated how they killed Roy in DYRL, it was pathetic, getting killed by and unnamed zentradi soldier...LAME!! the TV version was so much honorable

I always thought the unnamed soldier was the DYRL? version of the rogue Zentran Kamlin (spelling?).

Makes more sense than a no name, lol Millia killed Roy, and so did Kamlin haha the circle is now

complete. Actually Roy flying through even with gunpod at the ready was crap, he should have

atleast pasted some and let the hopeless Hikaru in the VT do some work! The leg thrusters on

that VT are powerful as, surely he could have wrestled himself out. Misa and whatshisname nah they

were toast. So i guess Roy was thinking more of Misa too. *meh! shugs*

:lol: It's safe to say they did kark it.