Macross 25th Anniversary! New TV series coming!

wolfx

Here's CD Japan's description of the M+ HD release:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBA-3048

Limited edition HD remastered DVD box set release of the original "Macross Plus" series released to celebrate the 25 anniversary of "Macross"! Includes the four original OVA releases and theatrical feature "Macross Plus Movie Edition" with HD remastered video, PCM sound, bonus CD with music from the original PlayStation game and theatrical feature, and 24-page booklet. Four-disc box set available only until August 24, 200

wow! I so want this...

you think Yamato would accompany this with a 1/60 YF-21? *tisk tisk*

DEAR GOD MAN! 1/60 YF-21.. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Christmas time.... you betcha.

We SERIOUSLY need some information about the 1/60.... Graham HEULP!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hopefully the tv series is like plus with lots of space, ground, and air fighting.

I liked zero's use of trying to emphasise the strength and weakness of each mode. Transformations were slowed down to show it happening, and the fights didn't end with a simple one shot, they lasted for a while and ended in a stalemate. Like it was a duel between two people who were only limited by the machine they were using.

Maybe un spacy should make macronised humans who control thier own powered armor to compete with the Qrau pilots and these become replacements for valkyries which get turned into drones like the ghost?

Macronised humans would then be the next step in making humans who are adapted to use zentradi ships, equipment, as spies etc Because they are big, they could steal zentradi vehicles (like the glaugs and regult) and use them against the zentradi as well as handle zentradi weapons. Or act as soldiers and not just pilots forced to eject from the battroid when it gets destroyed. Much more useful since they are both soldiers as well as pilots of mecha. (just giant soldiers really)

The macronised humans would basically have transforming powered armor (like mospeada?) and stuff like variable glaug, variable qrau, would take over the role as anti-giant mecha. Fighters like the valk would be mainly speedy but lack firepower, while the transforming powered armor would be more suited to fight as ground mecha (but not limited to it) effectively being like the destroid but for offense rather than defensive use. (ie they move quickly and fly and don't just sit in an area guarding things) Now that destroids can fly and hover (konig monster?) it would be good to see more heavy stuff that transforms. (either destroid with variable modes or powered armor for macronised humans with variable mode which may fill a gap)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Man, the things I miss after being away for a few months. In order to save myself the pain of 41 pages of commentary, can someone lay it all out for me what's going on? Please? I understand M7 and M+ are being remastered and re-released, does that mean better subs on M7 as well? And what's the new series?

Man, the things I miss after being away for a few months. In order to save myself the pain of 41 pages of commentary, can someone lay it all out for me what's going on? Please?

Nothing at the moment. It sounds as if there will be no major announcement till summer.

I understand M7 and M+ are being remastered and re-released, does that mean better subs on M7 as well?

Probably not.

And what's the new series?

We don't know yet. A flyer/ad for the new series went out related to the casting call for a voice actor/singer for the female protagonist role. But that ended a month ago and word is, they have selected an individual, but the announcement will come when they announce the series.

Hopefully the tv series is like plus with lots of space, ground, and air fighting.

I liked zero's use of trying to emphasise the strength and weakness of each mode. Transformations were slowed down to show it happening, and the fights didn't end with a simple one shot, they lasted for a while and ended in a stalemate. Like it was a duel between two people who were only limited by the machine they were using.

Maybe un spacy should make macronised humans who control thier own powered armor to compete with the Qrau pilots and these become replacements for valkyries which get turned into drones like the ghost?

Macronised humans would then be the next step in making humans who are adapted to use zentradi ships, equipment, as spies etc Because they are big, they could steal zentradi vehicles (like the glaugs and regult) and use them against the zentradi as well as handle zentradi weapons. Or act as soldiers and not just pilots forced to eject from the battroid when it gets destroyed. Much more useful since they are both soldiers as well as pilots of mecha. (just giant soldiers really)

The macronised humans would basically have transforming powered armor (like mospeada?) and stuff like variable glaug, variable qrau, would take over the role as anti-giant mecha. Fighters like the valk would be mainly speedy but lack firepower, while the transforming powered armor would be more suited to fight as ground mecha (but not limited to it) effectively being like the destroid but for offense rather than defensive use. (ie they move quickly and fly and don't just sit in an area guarding things) Now that destroids can fly and hover (konig monster?) it would be good to see more heavy stuff that transforms. (either destroid with variable modes or powered armor for macronised humans with variable mode which may fill a gap)

Doubtful.

The Zentreadi are so yesterday... :rolleyes:

The latest trend in the productions (ever since Mac Plus) is variable fighter vs variable fighter. Hence Mac 7 and Mac Zero having no power armors.

Besides, compared to the SDFM battles against Regults and Glaugs, you have to admit variable fighter battles are far more interesting to watch...

Well you could still have the variable fighters, but they would just die in 1 hit like the vf-11 in macross 7 :D

The powered armor would be like the long drawn-out fights in macross plus. Just fights that last longer and gradually making each pilot more tired because it's not easy to score a hit (like the max and milia fights or hikaru and kamjin ones, more than cannon fodder ones in the tv series)

The emphasis could be in up close fighting and speed. While the VF is more at long range and relying on missiles. Missiles which can be shot with ease at a distance or blocked with pinpoint barrier blobs on the mecha.

Powered armor would be somewhere between a destroid (like the spartan) and a valk. (speed, but more from brute force than from being light)

So maybe the mecha would take on a less sleek delicate appearance to reflect this idea of being able to resist damage at close range.

In SDF: macross when britai fights hikaru in the vf-1 after they run out of ammo, britai ripping the chest plate of the vf-1 only showed how weak the vf is for that kind of thing where the pilot is in danger of getting killed very easily due to the lack of armor. Even when hikaru used the eject button to get away he would have still been doomed because of his small size and inability to run away from the giants or do anything.(of course the story had to be written so they escape but chances look much more slim for survival of a micronised person vs a macronised one)

And yes you culd say "we have gbp" for more armor, but that is more as an afterthought and upgrade, to address the problem, not the real design of the original valk which is the idea of dogfighting. More like a patch fix.

Whereas the valk is for fighting other valks, the human made powered mecha can be thought of as being useful for fighting other powered mecha with strong armor. (sort of an answer to the lack of firepower of the vf)

So the valk in battroid mode is the anti-giant "soldier mode" that fights other giant soldiers, while the powered armor is for fighting the powered-armor those giant soldiers wear. (which might require slightly more powerful weapons?)

Advantages are that:

-unlike the destroid it can move freely rather than be this clumsy robot with guns as limbs.

-It won't rely only on missiles to kill stuff (which at close is impractical since you end up destroying your own base (see the episode when the regults manage to get into the sdf-1. Also the fact that PPB may make that tactic less effective against a skilled and speedy pilot in a fast mecha)

-able to take more damage in robot mode so it can't be ripped easily by bigger soldiers of britai's size

-safer since it is designed for a mcronised soldier. Less chance of dying if you are not puny

-can turn on a dime much quicker than the typical destroids who can then concentrate on long range fighting

-unlike the spartan it wouldn't be glued to the ground since it can fight in space like a valk, and also transform

-fights are much more natural to the pilot (you never see destroids do fancy spins and strafing fire because they are glued to the ground. Valks can, but they look very skinny and scrawny as battroids and look like they could be killed in a single hit so no long, drawn-out fights for the cannon fodders which die instantly in one-hit kills)

Valks have gotten bigger but when they transform into robot mode the animators have to deliberately use anime magic to "beef them up". This is cheating to make the robot mode look tougher than it really is. When you look at it as more a fighter that transforms into a robot it has an almost feminine apearance: light, easy to break if grappled, and not suitable for taking damage. Its hands are so delicate and skinny that it looks like they can easily be snapped off. Its armor suggest that it is only very thin, and that it wants to be more a fighter than a hulking robot. It runs fast because it is light, but lacks muscle up close in confined area unlike the spartans.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Doubtful.

The Zentreadi are so yesterday... :rolleyes:

The latest trend in the productions (ever since Mac Plus) is variable fighter vs variable fighter. Hence Mac 7 and Mac Zero having no power armors.

Besides, compared to the SDFM battles against Regults and Glaugs, you have to admit variable fighter battles are far more interesting to watch...

Here's a thought:

What if something like the Anti-UN, but on a galactic scale, existed? Perhaps recruiting disgruntled Zentraedi, ex-UN soldiers, and other alien races to their cause, like the Confederacy in the Star Wars prequels? There's plenty of potential for variable fighter combat, new designs, re-tooling of old designs, a little something for everyone. And what if, in the end, they turn out to be the good guys?

Here's a thought:

What if something like the Anti-UN, but on a galactic scale, existed? Perhaps recruiting disgruntled Zentraedi, ex-UN soldiers, and other alien races to their cause, like the Confederacy in the Star Wars prequels? There's plenty of potential for variable fighter combat, new designs, re-tooling of old designs, a little something for everyone. And what if, in the end, they turn out to be the good guys?

Well it's always made me wonder why anything is STILL called "UN" anything? By 2040 there are at least half a dozen colonized worlds and yet they still refer to everything as "UN", would it not make more sense to be calling it the United Worlds or United Galactic, etc.... The nations as they once existed are no more....

Just my small rant on the subject... :rolleyes:

As for the "confederacy" idea, THAT is a more reasonable premise than yet another "terrorist group" notion.

An actual secession of colonies from the commonwealth of the Earth would be an interesting premise. It has all the political intrigue for complex stories with plenty of opportunity to show off VF to VF combat situations...

It would also be a great vehicle for any social commentary they may wish to throw into it. "When does a rebellion turn into a legitimate fight for independence and who is ultimately right?" ideas.

That may be a bit over a j-pop audience's head, but would certainly be an interesting premise to explore... ;) Worthy even of the original SDFM, IMHO.

Now whether Japanese audiences would appreciate such a premise as much as Western ones, is another matter?

Edited by Zinjo

An actual secession of colonies from the commonwealth of the Earth would be an interesting premise. It has all the political intrigue for complex stories with plenty of opportunity to show off VF to VF combat situations...

It would also be a great vehicle for any social commentary they may wish to throw into it. "When does a rebellion turn into a legitimate fight for independence and who is ultimately right?" ideas.

That may be a bit over a j-pop audience's head, but would certainly be an interesting premise to explore... ;) Worthy even of the original SDFM, IMHO.

Now whether Japanese audiences would appreciate such a premise as much as Western ones, is another matter?

I take it you`ve never seen Gundam?

Probably about Macross 18 fleet on the trail of Macross 7 fleet that lost contact with the Earth, with a rumored child of Basara, and fighting some galactic giant singing whales or something.

*Shudder*

Or the sequel to Macross Dynamite 7, with the main character:

Pukey- the radioactive space whale, as it travels from planet to planet, attempting to sing like that freak human, and barfing onto the planet. But the radiation keeps killing everything on the planet surfaces, so the whale thinks it must put more effort into singing and travels to more planets and kills everything on the surface of those too. :p

I'd be happy seeing a series about one of the Jenius daughters as a pilot. Maybe Muse and Therese, twins. :)

Why do I feel like this conversation is a runaway barrel going downhill fast? Actually, some of the ideas here, aren't half bad. It's always fun to speculate. :D

Or the sequel to Macross Dynamite 7, with the main character:

Pukey- the radioactive space whale, as it travels from planet to planet, attempting to sing like that freak human, and barfing onto the planet. But the radiation keeps killing everything on the planet surfaces, so the whale thinks it must put more effort into singing and travels to more planets and kills everything on the surface of those too. :p

I'd be happy seeing a series about one of the Jenius daughters as a pilot. Maybe Muse and Therese, twins. :)

"Jump Pukey Jump! .. ohh no Pukey won't make it!? Eeeeeeek! S P L A T ! Mooowarrr moarr mrrrrrrr

Arhhh! Look what he did to our little boy! Eeuurrhk, What a mess......." :lol:

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

When I watched the Kissdum, I think the New Macross will become a similar Macross 7 story by Shoji Kawamori. Some guys maybe despair~~~~~~~~

In Kissdum, there are new life race like ProtoDeviln, it is HardyAnn(ãƒãƒ¼ãƒ‡ã‚£ã‚¢ãƒ³) produce by other Culture Technology.

HardyAnn=Hades Arms or Hades Angel?

IPB Image

IPB Image

The story hero Aiba(哀羽シュウ) evolve into NecroDriver(ãƒã‚¯ãƒ­ãƒ€ã‚¤ãƒãƒ¼ï¼ˆä¼æ‰¿è€…)), when he killed by HardyAnn.

NecroDriver... Super Power... He can fly and his left hand change to gun~~~

IPB Image

IPB Image

Varda(ヴァルダ) is a servant of Dead Books(死者ã®æ›¸)

Vaire(ヴァイレ) & Valar(ヴァラール ) are servants of Abhoos Bones(アヴホースã®éª¨).

I figure they are cute fairy like Sivil.

Cute, tooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!

IPB Image

Varda

IPB Image

Valar

IPB Image

Vaire

IPB Image

the story is continued...

Edited by kresphy

That looks rather silly... like something that the immortal Rob Liefeld would come up with.

Pretty interesting that someone other than myself actually knows who Rob Liefeld is! I still have the 1st issue of some lame comic he came out with for image back in the day.

Pretty interesting that someone other than myself actually knows who Rob Liefeld is! I still have the 1st issue of some lame comic he came out with for image back in the day.

In my mid-teens I worked in a comic book store, and I was a collector. This was back in the early 90's, my first job. I stopped with all of it around '94. I still have several long boxes of books stored away that I'd love to just dump, but can't bring myself to do because of the money that was spent on them.

But yeah, guy with a gun for an arm... :rolleyes:

But yeah, guy with a gun for an arm...

C'mon man, that's the new Overtechnology given to humans fromt he Protocultures! You mean to tell me that you don't want to see guys walking around with gun arms and fairies all around?

(Of course I'm joking) :lol: