Macross TV or DYRL?

Area88

Macross VS DYRL  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite?

• Macross TV
    • Macross: Do You Remember Love

But the main falling out was over the photo album - Misa's doing the dishes, laundry, cleaning - and Hikaru's got pictures of a nother woman up all over the place and a photo album full of cute Minmey pictures.

Were they supposed to have been romantically involved? Maybe it was bad translation (I've recently watched the ADV version, still didn't seem like they were more then just friends at that point - but I don't know of female friends that clean up the house...)

Welcome to the forum! :)

Pete

Thanks!

PS - I'd put DYRL as my favorite, strictly for the scene where Hikaru chooses Misa after Minmey runs off (he was obviously about to tell Minmey that when Misa walked in). The reason is the emotion Misa's Voice Actress put into it - she really sounded like someone trying to hold it all together, but just couldn't...

(but the movie needs the TV series as a reference or it just doesn't fill in enough details)

Were they supposed to have been romantically involved? Maybe it was bad translation (I've recently watched the ADV version, still didn't seem like they were more then just friends at that point - but I don't know of female friends that clean up the house...)

I personally think they definitely were. It's not as obvious that Misa and Hikaru slept with eachother as it was in DYRL? - but I think that following Space War I they definitely are together and romantically involved.

The problem - as I see it - is that more than likely they slept together because MISA wanted to. This is actually usually the case; despite the stereotype that guys oogle over and always want to sleep with girls, it's the girls who ultimately decide and go through with it and coax the guy, lead him along or sometimes even drag him into it.

In the case of Misa - she probably not only dragged Hikaru into bed, but into a semi-coherent relationship.

Hikaru, however, is a) independent minded (and it's hard to be serving under "Demon Commander" yet also sleeping with her - experiencing both sides of her - on the one hand she can't live without him and goes all soft, but on the other hand she bitches at him during missions and criticizes him at work all the time) and b) completely unsure of whether or not he wants to "tie the knot" with Misa.

I expect that part of the problem is that many viewers might be inclined to consider that since they're not married, talking about marriage, engaged, planning a family etc etc then they are not romanticallly involved.

I see it differently: they both have demanding and stressful jobs - they are both independent minded and in many ways "loners" and "solitary figures" who need one another... but also sometimes need space, time alone, and freedom.

This tension builds - between their need for eachother and their jobs/demands of work and is augmented by the Zendradi rebellion and resumption of the war.

Ironically - the imminent death that stares them in the face due to the war was what brought them closer together - their most intimate personal moments were always at times of highest danger. So when the war revives, their love is tested and pressed and strained - but it is also re-strengthened again - because Hikaru might be pissed sometimes at Misa and Misa might be bitchy - but when she or he could die - they are very passionate about not wanting this to happen.

I think also that if you notice how Misa reacts when she over hears that Hikaru lets Minmey stay with him - she thinks he's going to sleep with her. But Hikaru doesn't - he sleeps on the couch. Why? Because he's romantically involved with Misa.

However - I do wonder whether later, as Minmey stays a while and starts getting al "wifey" - whether or not Hikaru does end up also sleeping with her? Possibly.

In any case - Hikaru is quite un-manly in many ways. I don't really understand what girls see in him. It must be the abrasive nature combined with that big lock of hair he has, like in his filipino doll version... but SDFM TV Hikaru is very very very bad at "deciding" about love - obviously - probably because, as Minmey's song puts it "he loves his airplane more than he loves me."

Hikaru's obliviousness to women makes him attractive I guess? ...

Although - I think he only had true feelings for Misa...

But - tough question. Hard to say. Not as obvious as in the movie...

Pete

Hi Pete:

Can't argue with you, you could be right. It's just that later dialog does not seem to add up - the trip to the forest / woods being an example, it sounds more like a first date rather then getting back together. The bridge bunnies especially, they are happy Misa has a date rather then saying they are happy she and Hikaru are getting back together.

Be that as it may, here I am still dying to know what happened to these two characters 25 years later - the show certainly did something right!

(just got my first and second set of the Animego DVDs, 3rd is on the way - so I'll be watching it all again)

It's just that later dialog does not seem to add up - the trip to the forest / woods being an example, it sounds more like a first date rather then getting back together.

Naturally, it's largely a matter of interpretation - and I admit that I might have an overly active imagination - but... here's how I explain the trip to the forest/woods sounding like a first date:

1) Misa has ZERO experience with men in a romantic setting EXCEPT for Riber - but she was what? 15 or 16 or maybe even 13 when she was in love with Riber. And that love ended tragically.

She is a naive and uncorrupted woman. She is not as cosmopolitan and wordly as Minmey. Her whole life has been dedicated to duty and to her family tradition of a military life. Her father sometimes showed her affection because she reminded him of her mom - but in the main - he was stern with her and treated her like a lower rank officer.

Notice also - how this relationship with her father impacts Misa's relationship with Hikaru (who is a lower ranking officer). Misa is accustomed to only one aspect of a romantic or personal relationship: just like her job got in the way of her relationship with her dad (because of the duality of father/daughter vs. high ranked officer/lower ranking officer) - so the same thing happens with her and Hikaru.

Anyways - Misa is very provincial. She is not into the latest fashions. Her beauty is the natural beauty of a woman who is born beautiful - not the "manufactured" and "powdered" beauty of Minmey.

Also, while Minmey PRETENDS to be innocent - Misa actually really is.

So - I would say that even though she is in love with Hikaru and they have slept with one another - she remains with a very large dose of female shame.

Female shame is a particular womanly emotion or character trait and even if you are sleeping with a girl - she could still act with shame in public - uneasy and uncertain and "like on a first date."

Also - Misa is extremely jealous - because she doesn't understand how to "snag" a man - she wants to keep Hikaru for herself, but she's not confident enough or determined enough to bag him ...

In any event - this is how I explain the dialogue.

That and the time-frame it was made - when romantic scenes were made with more subtlety than nowadays.

The bridge bunnies especially, they are happy Misa has a date rather then saying they are happy she and Hikaru are getting back together.

Well - again - it all depends on how we define "being together" - besides, the bridge bunnies were never the most perceptive of girls :)

Pete

• 3 months later...

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I saw DYRL losing out and I just can't ignore it. :p

I like DYRL because it tells a very tight story: concert to battle to being trapped to being rescued to a date to being captured to escape to Earth to... there's no useless nor redundant scene. Like others said, it captures the essence of the TV series. There's still a love triangle, although it's different from the TV series. Also, I thought it was self-contained (quite rare for movies of TV series, I found). You don't need any background info. (Even the questions in earlier posts are answered, or implied, in the movie. You just need to watch it more closely.)

Many a times, I told myself I would just watch the first ten minutes to reminisce. Right. I always ended up watching all the way.

Now, if there's a more tightly edited version of the TV series of 20 episodes, I may feel differently.

Sorry for digging up this old thread, but I saw DYRL losing out and I just can't ignore it. :p

I like DYRL because it tells a very tight story: concert to battle to being trapped to being rescued to a date to being captured to escape to Earth to... there's no useless nor redundant scene. Like others said, it captures the essence of the TV series. There's still a love triangle, although it's different from the TV series. Also, I thought it was self-contained (quite rare for movies of TV series, I found). You don't need any background info. (Even the questions in earlier posts are answered, or implied, in the movie. You just need to watch it more closely.)

Many a times, I told myself I would just watch the first ten minutes to reminisce. Right. I always ended up watching all the way.

Now, if there's a more tightly edited version of the TV series of 20 episodes, I may feel differently.

I don't know about "You don't need any background info". Some friends of mine saw DYRL without seeing Macross back in college days, and they all thought it was cool and pretty (especially when its made in 1984), but hard to follow storywise. Not like its too complicated, but things happen and change very sudden and drastic, so the flow of the story is odd. As if the viewer was supposed to know more than what is shown...which is exactly the case. A movie made for fans that is already familiar with the characters.

For me, I like TV & DYRL just as much, and see them complimenting each other as a whole, so I didn't vote. :p

I don't know about "You don't need any background info". Some friends of mine saw DYRL without seeing Macross back in college days, and they all thought it was cool and pretty (especially when its made in 1984), but hard to follow storywise. Not like its too complicated, but things happen and change very sudden and drastic, so the flow of the story is odd. As if the viewer was supposed to know more than what is shown...which is exactly the case. A movie made for fans that is already familiar with the characters.

For me, I like TV & DYRL just as much, and see them complimenting each other as a whole, so I didn't vote. :p

I'm one of those people that saw DYRL before I saw Macross, and like I said somewhere earlier in the thead I can attest to that. It's pretty, but the plot is a string of events that don't really hang together at all and don't effectively make any of the real societal or relationship points of the TV show. It's really meant for fans of the TV series and that's it.

I found DYRL much better visually but I think if you didnt watch the show you would be kinda lost. Everything kinda happened quickly in the movie. But the movie was much more "adultish" then the run of the show. Of course I have only watched homotech... errr I mean robotech.

Bugt on a plus side of robotech the biggest contribution was the good intro music over the odd macross song.

Edited by ErikElvis

I found DYRL much better visually but I think if you didnt watch the show you would be kinda lost. Everything kinda happened quickly in the movie. But the movie was much more "adultish" then the run of the show. Of course I have only watched homotech... errr I mean robotech.

Bugt on a plus side of robotech the biggest contribution was the good intro music over the odd macross song.

MA KU ROSS! MA KU ROSS!

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAC ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSS!

Seriously, I like both intros.

Me on the other hand can't take the Robotech intro. It feels very American, like I would expect that intro as a nice GIJoe or Transformers animated special intro music or something, but doesn't fit Macross's feel at all, especially when you are familiar with SDFM's music score (which is very awesome to this day).

I felt that DYRL could be a better self contained movie, if they gave more time showing how Earth got wiped out (even as short flashback scenes would work), and give more time develop the love triangle, so that we actually know and feel whats going on with Hikaru, and know why he chose Misa over Minmay (not based on our knowledge of TV). As is, it feels like Hikaru just hopped around from one girl to another (and barely know any of them), just because who is convenient to be around at the moment.

"Minmay got captured, so I better find someone else."....

"Minmay is back now, but Misa is hot and got a sad story to tell! I'll pick Misa. I don't know Minmay much anyway. Only went out with her a couple times." (Not that Hikaru spent a lot of time with Misa either :lol: ).

I've got to put my vote for the TV series. To me, the movie is very pretty but very empty. Characterization suffers greatly in DYRL, and I very much disagree with the opinion that the DYRL version of the love triangle was somehow better than the TV version, or that it was somehow a more mature storyline.

Almost every character except Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay are reduced to paper-thin backdrops in DYRL. Scenes such as Max and Milia's duel and Kakizake's death have no resonance or impact at all, 'cause you never know these people. They're included simply as homage to the TV series. Even Roy's death, while marginally more involving, is flat as he's reduced to an obnoxious, borderline misogynist drunkard instead of the seasoned mentor and friend that he is in the series.

As for the love triangle, it's the TV series that gives it all its depth and emotion. You watch Hikaru grow and mature as a person as he evolves from his crush on the self-absorbed Minmay to a deeper emotional connection to Misa. And it's the post-final-battle episodes that really make it all pay off, as Minmay finally starts to grow up too, realizing what she's lost. Rather than seeing the last episodes as the "slow down", for me those are the episodes that make the series worthwhile, rising it above a simple action story to a real character drama.

While it boasts better animation and some better songs, DYRL just can't hold a candle to the series.

Edited by Penguin

I love DYRL. I know I've seen it more than the original series. But I don't think the movie stands very well on it's own. If you were to pull random people to form a test audience and watch it...they are going to walk out very confused.

During the first battle, Macross fans are bathing in....well..."Macross awesomness..." from music, missiles, and Macross Main Cannon.

A fresh, random viewer is going to be too busy wondering wtf is going on.

DYRL is a love letter to the fans. The movie is made directly for the people who love Macross, and when taken in that regard it is awesome.

IMHO, DYRL is an awesome companion to the original series....but my wife will never understand why I like that movie with the "silly song."

Edited by OptimusX

i have no real preferance one way or he other, but dince this thread is here Ill use to to raise a debate:

Was DYRL supposed to replace macross within the stories universe?

Now, i know DYRL is supposed to be a movie within the Macross universe, but i dont buy that it was always meant that way. In almost ALL the later series, refereances are made to the original, but they are almost all DYRL related, at least that I can think of. the only overt series referance i can think of is milia's fighter in mac7 being hr TV fighter.

but movie references everywhere:

-in M+, The macross looks like the DYRL version, and not the series version. Many of the Zenradi also look like the green versions found in the movie

-In M7, Exodore looks like his DYRL design

-In M7, Mylene and Basara wear the equivilant of DYRL flight suits.

-In the flashbacks shown at the start of MF, The clips show the characters as they appear in DYRL.

-In MF the school has Hikarus DYRL fighter on it.

-In MF we see the guy running SMS is a DYRL style Zentradi.

So what do u guys think? Is DYRL more closely resembling what REALLY happened?

so...my 2cents

I came to this first as robotech. Then DYRL. THEN the macross series.

I absolutely prefer the series. It is the story. It's what happened. And it's a long one. It's exciting, but there's some great moments for reflection. moments that really mean something. There's also a fantastic character arc. Especially for both Hikaru and Minmay. In DYRL, Hikaru met her as a superstar. That completely negates the point of their arcs. It's about his slow journey from being a civilian pacifist into his life with the military. And you can't relly see that without her arc into pop superstardom.

The way I see DYRL is like the film Pearl Harbour. It's just a hollywood version of a real life situation. Sure it's condensed and great to look at. But it's those little parts of life that truly defined an event. The parts that aren't there in DYRL, because they had to do a blockbuster flick.

If I could have my dream series, they would re-animate the original series and get the robotech voices to perfom the dialogue of the AVG english dub.

And here's why, The voices for robotech were simply more natural. Sure, it was a garbage re-edit/dub. But the naturalism of voice acting was pretty great. I REALLY can't handle both Misa and Roy in the macross versions. The japanese portrayal of roy seems more like a parody of the drunk hot shot american stereotype. I loved those great conversations between hikaru and roy in robotech. You could tell that they had history.

I know I'll be burned at the stake for my comments.

Well - in the Anime Topic, there's a thread on translation in anime, and part of the discussion centers on Dub vs. Sub... Or...maybe there's a seperate Dub vs. Sub thread - you might want to check it out - I remember we all had a long debate over this one. I personally prefer the original Japanese with the sub-titles. So far, the only anime I could tolerate in english dubs is Mobile Suite Gundam.

Anyways... I'm not re-watching SDFM TV - so the pendulum will likely swing back to the series... it's ultimately hard to say.

Pete

i have no real preferance one way or he other, but dince this thread is here Ill use to to raise a debate:

Was DYRL supposed to replace macross within the stories universe?

Now, i know DYRL is supposed to be a movie within the Macross universe, but i dont buy that it was always meant that way. In almost ALL the later series, refereances are made to the original, but they are almost all DYRL related, at least that I can think of. the only overt series referance i can think of is milia's fighter in mac7 being hr TV fighter.

but movie references everywhere:

-in M+, The macross looks like the DYRL version, and not the series version. Many of the Zenradi also look like the green versions found in the movie

-In M7, Exodore looks like his DYRL design

-In M7, Mylene and Basara wear the equivilant of DYRL flight suits.

-In the flashbacks shown at the start of MF, The clips show the characters as they appear in DYRL.

-In MF the school has Hikarus DYRL fighter on it.

-In MF we see the guy running SMS is a DYRL style Zentradi.

So what do u guys think? Is DYRL more closely resembling what REALLY happened?

Nothing "really" happened, it's all fiction. :p

Here's what we know.

They made SDFM.

They made DYRL.

They made FB2012, which had some footage from the show, but mostly seemed to center on DYRL (in both story and designs). (Yes, I said story. Minmay was shown getting mad at her parents and storming out. That was referenced in DYRL, not in SDFM.)

No word on "canonicity" at that point. With no sequels forthcoming, what would have been the point? In '87 or '88, Kawamori said in Animag that neither one is the "real" story. It's like WWII...if you make a TV series, you'll tell the events one way, if you make a movie, you'll tell the same events in a different way.

Then Macross II came along in '92, billed as a sequel to DYRL.

Then in '94, in the short film "Macross: A Future Chronicle" that came with the first MacPlus LD, it was said that DYRL was a 2031 movie.

So that's where it started, and that's the hard-line answer. However, as you say, they've drawn freely from DYRL designs for every Macross story since then.

Some people try to rationalize it with "SDFM story, DYRL designs," but I think that's reading too much into it.

They both "happened," in that they both were made. Forget trying to figure out why Milia's VF-1J in Mac7 looks like the SDFM version, but Exsedol looks like the DYRL version. There's no way to make it make sense.

Don't overthink it, just enjoy it.

Edited by Gubaba

Minmay was shown getting mad at her parents and storming out. That was referenced in DYRL, not in SDFM

But in SDFM: TV, she was also shown getting mad at her parents... she goes to visit them in Yokohama with Hikaru, and they get all like "you're going to stay here now right?" "what do you mean you're a star?" "hey young Man - can you marry Minmei and live with us and make her have babies?" until Kaifun comes along as is like "Yo! Minmei might be my sister, but I ain't believin' dad traditionz shiznits and I be all for me takin' her back to me room...er..that is back to dee Macrozshizniz and takinz care of her (wink wink)!" and the parents are all like "oh well that's ok."

In DYRL, yeah - it's true that Minmei recounts to Hikaru about her parents being all stern and stuff - but she is flirty and likes to be melodramatic and tease Hikaru - so who are we to know how much is fact and how much fiction? Plus - it's quite possible that she was recounting the Yokohoma episode (albeit...it...er..happened "later?") and in DYRl that's where Kaifun came in and that's why Kaifun's on the Macross in DYRL?

In the end - Gubaba's right though: thinking is bad for you.

Pete

Nothing "really" happened, it's all fiction. :p

Here's what we know.

They made SDFM.

They made DYRL.

They made FB2012, which had some footage from the show, but mostly seemed to center on DYRL (in both story and designs). (Yes, I said story. Minmay was shown getting mad at her parents and storming out. That was referenced in DYRL, not in SDFM.)

No word on "canonicity" at that point. With no sequels forthcoming, what would have been the point? In '87 or '88, Kawamori said in Animag that neither one is the "real" story. It's like WWII...if you make a TV series, you'll tell the events one way, if you make a movie, you'll tell the same events in a different way.

Then Macross II came along in '92, billed as a sequel to DYRL.

Then in '94, in the short film "Macross: A Future Chronicle" that came with the first MacPlus LD, it was said that DYRL was a 2031 movie.

So that's where it started, and that's the hard-line answer. However, as you say, they've drawn freely from DYRL designs for every Macross story since then.

Some people try to rationalize it with "SDFM story, DYRL designs," but I think that's reading too much into it.

They both "happened," in that they both were made. Forget trying to figure out why Milia's VF-1J in Mac7 looks like the SDFM version, but Exsedol looks like the DYRL version. There's no way to make it make sense.

Don't overthink it, just enjoy it.

oh it doesnt keep me up at night, Ive just always found it interesting. It feels like the preferred design choice is DYRL style, which Im cool with; the film feels less 80s and dated than the series does.

i prefer SDFM story wise, but prefer the look and design of DYRL?. I still enjoy both.

I've got to put my vote for the TV series. To me, the movie is very pretty but very empty. Characterization suffers greatly in DYRL, and I very much disagree with the opinion that the DYRL version of the love triangle was somehow better than the TV version, or that it was somehow a more mature storyline.

Almost every character except Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay are reduced to paper-thin backdrops in DYRL. Scenes such as Max and Milia's duel and Kakizake's death have no resonance or impact at all, 'cause you never know these people. They're included simply as homage to the TV series. Even Roy's death, while marginally more involving, is flat as he's reduced to an obnoxious, borderline misogynist drunkard instead of the seasoned mentor and friend that he is in the series.

As for the love triangle, it's the TV series that gives it all its depth and emotion. You watch Hikaru grow and mature as a person as he evolves from his crush on the self-absorbed Minmay to a deeper emotional connection to Misa. And it's the post-final-battle episodes that really make it all pay off, as Minmay finally starts to grow up too, realizing what she's lost. Rather than seeing the last episodes as the "slow down", for me those are the episodes that make the series worthwhile, rising it above a simple action story to a real character drama.

While it boasts better animation and some better songs, DYRL just can't hold a candle to the series.

I couldn't have said it better. Definitely agree with you.

TV all the way.

It's what makes DYRL? a classic, the love for the characters you already know... only prettified.

I loved the TV show, but I liked the quality of animation of the movie way better. My dream, which I know will never come true is the entire TV series re-animated with at least the same quality as DYRL. I don't want them to change the designs of the characters or mechs, just better animation quality. And I want them to use the original audio....no new dialogue or anything, just new animation. Besides, voice actor for Hikaru passed away quite sometime ago.

But I know, never going to happen.

Edited by peter

But in SDFM: TV, she was also shown getting mad at her parents... she goes to visit them in Yokohama with Hikaru, and they get all like "you're going to stay here now right?" "what do you mean you're a star?" "hey young Man - can you marry Minmei and live with us and make her have babies?" until Kaifun comes along as is like "Yo! Minmei might be my sister, but I ain't believin' dad traditionz shiznits and I be all for me takin' her back to me room...er..that is back to dee Macrozshizniz and takinz care of her (wink wink)!" and the parents are all like "oh well that's ok."

In DYRL, yeah - it's true that Minmei recounts to Hikaru about her parents being all stern and stuff - but she is flirty and likes to be melodramatic and tease Hikaru - so who are we to know how much is fact and how much fiction? Plus - it's quite possible that she was recounting the Yokohoma episode (albeit...it...er..happened "later?") and in DYRl that's where Kaifun came in and that's why Kaifun's on the Macross in DYRL?

Yeah, but in the show, she never got mad enough to walk out on them, whereas she said she did in DYRL, and that's what's shown in FB2012. And anyway, if it's supposed to be a scene from the show, she's wearing the wrong clothes. ^_^

In the end - Gubaba's right though: thinking is bad for you.

Wow, you really know how to cut through all the BS and get to the heart of the matter, don't you? :p

until Kaifun comes along as is like "Yo! Minmei might be my sister, but I ain't believin' dad traditionz shiznits and I be all for me takin' her back to me room...er..that is back to dee Macrozshizniz and takinz care of her (wink wink)!" and the parents are all like "oh well that's ok."

Hell yeah! Lynn 'The Shiznitz' Kaifunn rulez!

oh yeah, also a plus for the SDFM is the way they killed off roy, in a legendary way very similar, if not, inspired in the red baron deaths and of course the several dark episodes after his death with Kakizaki dying too and the Macross getting booted out of Earth

instead of just getting blown up by an unnamed zentradi in DYRL, a tear is shed, 5 min Hikaru is wining about Minmei again and getting bitchslap by Misa

• 9 months later...

I have finally gotten my girlfriend to watch some macross. It is pretty exciting for me.

She watched episode 1 of SDFM and liked it. She said that she liked the 80s animation, reminded her of watching cartoons as a kid.

Then last night I got her to watch DYRL? all the way through with me and she really liked it. There was a lot that she wanted me to explain to her. Probably partly in due to the bad subtitles. She really liked animation style - much more than SDFM. But she said that the story was hard to follow having not seen the tv series in its completion. But overall she really liked the movie and said that she wanted to see it again and may even want to watch SDFM all the way through. She also loved the Minmay songs, especially Zero G Love, Shao Pai Lon, and DYRL?.

I am pretty stoked. She said that since I watched Bridget Jones's Diary that she would watch macross. I think the next one I will show her is Macross Zero. So I just wanted to share my excitement with all of you.

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this but I searched and searched and could not find a general forum on DYRL? the movie that looked better. And once she watches SDFM maybe I can have her join as a member here and vote on this poll.

Over and out. ..

SDFM TV... for the complete story and epilogue

DYRL is all eyecandy, for a non macross watcher, the story doesn't make any sense ay all... I DON'T LIKE RECAPS!!

Yeah pretty much the same.

I love SDFM for the story and DYRL for the visuals. I still have not voted on this poll though as I find it a bit difficult to make a final decision.