Which is the best of Kawamori's Valkyrie?

valhary

Well, technically the VF-1 is the best Valkyrie as it is the ONLY Valkyrie. All of the other VF's have a different name.

VF-1 = Valkyrie

VF-11 = Thunderbolt

YF-19 = Alpha One

YF-21 = Omega One

VF-0 = ???

I'm not sure why, but its become common practice to use the term "valk" to refer to any of the Macross VF's, but it is really only correct when referring to a VF-1.

EDIT: Oh, and I vote for the VF-1 as Kawamori's best VF design.

Edited by mister_e

Personally I view the Zero as an updated VF-1 because it has the technology that is present on the YF-19 and the other newer Valks. The size is similar as well. Yes yes, it was only a testbed according to canon but a man can dream, no?

The VF-1 is a classic though. It's probably my favorite overall.

Edited by meh_cd

as far as the 3 toys, the zero is the shiznit, even with all its faults.

i feel the effort put forth in designing it was far greater than the other 2 combined.

otherwise VF-1 all the way, its a classic afterall.

just wondering....

VF = Variable Fighter or dare i say it, Veritech Fighter

YF = ????

Definitely the VF-0 'ZERO'. (I asked this awhile ago, and i think it was agreed "Zero" was the name like the VF-1 is the "Valkyrie"). Its like a more detailed and cool looking VF-1 to me. I do love the VF-11, though not the main head type we see. the 19 is cool, though the toy i find a little....i dunno, ungainly? The long legs dont grab me as much in 3d form.

just wondering....

VF = Variable Fighter or dare i say it, Veritech Fighter

YF = ????

Good question! Now I want to know too.

For me, it's a draw between the VF-1 and the VF-11.

The VF-1 because it's the mother of all variable fighters, and the VF-11 because it's, IMHO, the perfect mix of all that's sexy on the YF-21 and the YF-19. (in fighter mode anyway)

Hmmm. Picking just one favourite variable fighter is difficult. I'd love to say the YF-19, that hypercritical wing and it's whole "leaned forward" look in fighter mode is nice. I'm quite fond of the VF-9 as well (c'mon Yamato, where is my 1/60th -9 then?) for similar reasons.

However, if I had to pick I would say the VF-1J. The original airframe that inspired the rest, with the best battroid head of the lot. Mind you, the VF-11 Thunderbolt is a close runner up. It isn't glamourous or cutting edge, but it is a solid workhorse and I find that kind of endearing.

Karl

It's a coin toss between the 19 and vf-1.

19 looks "cool" in battroid mode and fighter mode, but the transformation look complex. Almost too dangerous if it were to happen slowly because it seems so messy.

The vf-1 has that simplicity that I like in a transforming robot whereby each mode is quick and efficient between transformations with little fuss and each weapon like the head laser can still be useful in each mode. When FAST packs are added they actually look pretty cool on a vf-1. The super valkyrie with its strike cannon and micromissile launcher has a beefy "well armed" look to it that complements the barebones appearance of the battroid mode.

Other valks like the vf-11 look a little strange in battroid. Ugly selection of heads.

The vf-0 is really the updated vf-1 (without retracting hands and heatshield) but to me is just "more of the same". The ghost drone booster looks more streamlined than the fast pack but did we ever see that useful for battroid mode like we did the FAST pack which acted like a big jetpack and an over the shoulder weapon? VF-1 FTW. VF-1 seemed to have lots of different extra added to it:

GBP - for a more armored tank look on the ground or floating in space

normal valk - for those fancy dogfights in fighter. Looks very light.

super - more firepower, speed, ammo without destroying the transforming ability of the mecha

It may not look as cool as later versions (like the GBP for the VF-11) but it's old school so it wins a few extra points with me. None of the conehead appearance of later designs or having parts of the shoulder look like they are different on different sides of the battroid mode. Also not so much anime magic. For eg the "boob" in the 19 would stick out too much if it wasn't shortened when transforming into battroid.

Other valks I like are the 21 (it looks cool with a single big eye with many smaller ones and a hood in battroid mode - reminds me of a spider or something) and the vf-4. (like the fighter mode)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Well.... I guess "YF" is used for prototype like in Air force.....

for example, YF-12 is the prototype of SR-71 Balck bird.. YF-22 and Yf-23 are the prototype of F-22 Raptor.. YF-17 is the first prototype of F-18 Hornet... etc...

My favorite Kawamori... ??? Hum... The Queadluun Rau of course for his allien design.... Yes.. I know... It's not a Valkyrie..... But it's my favourite Meca....

Edited by odr78

Well.... I guess "YF" is used for prototype like in Air force.....

for example, YF-12 is the prototype of SR-71 Balck bird.. YF-22 and Yf-23 are the prototype of F-22 Raptor.. YF-17 is the first prototype of F-18 Hornet... etc...

Close, but not quite correct.

The "prototype" for the SR-71 (originally to be designated the RS-71) was the A-12. The YF-12A was an interceptor variant of the A-12/SR-71 of which three were built.

YF-22 was the prototype for the F-22, however the YF-23 was an entirely different aircraft that lost the competition against the YF-22.

The YF-17 was only loosely the prototype for the F/A-18, as it was originally designed to go up against the YF-16 for the light fighter contract, and lost out mainly because GD gambled and tooled up their production lines before winning the contract and was able to come to the table with "We can start building immediately".

The YF-17 was essentially scrapped at that point, but was later resurrected as a possible basis for a Navy requirement and the design was further developed and refined into a true F-18 prototype. While it was used for a good bit of the early flight testing and training of the test pilots, the YF-17 wasn't strictly an F-18 prototype. The relationship between the two aircraft would be closer to that of the Hornet and Super Hornet. Very similar in design and characteristics, but not really the same plane.

But, you've got the general idea. :)

As for my vote, I've got to go with the Zero, simply because it's the most realistic. There's just something about that that makes it so much cooler than the impressive but clearly fictional technology behind the other VFs.

Edited by BinaryFalcon

I would have to say not the VF-1, since the VF-0 is basically the same design only improved. The way the hands and arms tuck and transition into the backpack in VF-0 fighter mode was a very big improvement over the VF-1's blocky underside. That, and the modern asthetic of the VF-0 just make the VF-1 seem more dated to me than "classic".

My personal fav is the YF-19 by a hair.

Any one of the following is a close second:

Yf-21

VF-11

SV-51

VF-0

Least favorites:

VF-1

VF-19

VF-17

VF-4

I have to agree that the VF-0 is just plain better than the VF-1 since it represents a more modern, cleaner take on the same classic design.

As to which VF is my favorite, I'd have to say the VF-11 along with the YF-21.

As great an artist and designer as Kawamori is, most of his designs just have something that I don't like about them. In the VF-1's case, I just hate the way the legs/engines attach to the nosecone, plus the fact that they're not actually permanently attached to the valk. It's just not a good idea to have your vehicles powerplants and propulsion clipped on at a couple tiny points.

The VF-11 represents an update to the transformation mechanism of the VF-1, much like the VF-0 is an esthetic update. The rotating part of the fusilage eliminates the whole detaching legs thing, plus it just manages to look like a next generation version of the original design.

The YF-21 is just plain slick. It takes the Q-Rau design and turns it into a VF that isn't the conventional engines = legs/ arms tucked between thing. The fact that it manages to pack arms and legs into it that aren't part of the the actual plane design is really interesting.

THE V-1 SEEMS DATED ONLT WHEN LOOKED AT IN THE ORIGINAL ANIMATION. IT FEELS MUCH SLEEKER IN DYRL, AND MODERN ART ON THE FIGHTER CAN MAKE IT LOOK QUITE IMPRESSIVLY SLEEK.

I JUST PREFER THE ASTEHTIC OF THE ZERO. THE COCKPIT, WING AND TAIL SECTIONS, AS WELL AS THE UNDERSIDE CARRIAGE ALL FEEL COOLER TO ME.

SCUSE CAPS IM AT WORK, AND WASNT WATCHING THE SCREEN

If I were to rate each one from the pic I would go with:

.- VF-19 variable fighter for best original design (not toy).

.- VF-1 best quality macross toy.

.- VF-0 best toy rendition.

As for best valk EVER ? Easy, I go with the VF-5000 all the way !

Edited by Aegis!

Oh, come on, guys, I think we all know the obvious winner:

Mechs=good

boob=very good

mechs with boobs=not so good.

but to answer the question, I would say the best fighter is the VF-4 the best gerwalk is the SV-51 and the best batroid is the VF-1(J)

the SV-51 is my personal favorite overall, it's the most aggressive and intimidating of the variable mechs.

VF-11B

Pure elegance and badassness. Sleek in all three modes. Bigass shield. Beefy, no-bullshit gunpod with anti-armor bayonet. CF-type cyclopian head. Fast-packs rock and don't make it look that much bulkier, unlike on the VF-1 or VF-19. Looks good in different color schemes.

Oh how a 1/60 needs to be made :D .

Otherwise it's a toss-up between the VF-4, VF-14, VF-22 (black), and the YF-19/VF-19A.

VF-1's. This is an easy question. :p

Love the VT. That's my favourite. Then Hiks 1S from DYRL? Then his 1J, then Roys 1S then the cannon fods, then...

After the VF-1 designs, Yf-21 CLOSE second to the VF-1 for favs. Then the 19, then the 11 etc etc....

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Mechs=good

boob=very good

mechs with boobs=not so good.

Not sure if anyone could tell, but I was joking about the MAXL. :D

I think I love the VF-1 the most, but I really hunger for a good toy of the VF-11 with fast packs and full armor. I also really like the VF-4 and would love for Yamato do make one. The VF-5000 rocks too!

VF-1 Valkyrie

It's simple, it's beautiful, it's original.

As far as the show goes its the least "super robo" of all the VF's in that it tended to only barely be up to the tasks it was presented with.

There is just so much to love about the VF-1. Including the fact that it's one of the few REALLY standard VF's in all of Macross. After SDF you started seeing the old standby prototypes and super duper custom jobs.

Dispite main character paintjobs, the VF-1 was a work horse, the VF of the common man.

The one and only VALKYRIE.