Yamato's 1/60 SV-51.

UN Spacy

Damn it!!!!!!! I cancelled my preorder due to other finacial obligations that sapped my saved money that was going to pay for this!!! Meaning I felt guilty spending $200+ for this one thing when My wife and I are expecting our second child in Nov. I want this soooo badly!!!!

Chris

Yea I sense a first batch of broken SV-51 to go with the first batch of broken VF-0S(s). I've pre-ordered one already, but just like my VF-0S that came from the first wave... the SV-51 is going to stay in the box. I'll just order spare parts if possible in the future when I order a second one with less QC probs. Eventually one of them is going to get modded.

L.E.D. LIGHTS!!!! YOU HEAR THAT YAMATO!!! YOU NEED L.E.D.s!!!!! IN THE EYES!!!!!

be quite man!! don't you know that Yamato must add a 25% increase in box size and add 40+ bucks to the final price for L.E.D. lights, haha, just loot at the Fold booster, ahaha :lol::blink:

The SV-51 is just an amazing design. Possibly Kawamori's most interesting Valk. I'm blown away by these pics. Yamato nailed it perfectly. It still looks like it could be a potential QC nightmare, but the look is flawless.

Anyone know if the air brake / heat shield / turbo fan cover piece can flip up in F mode? The way the fans position in F mode with the heat shield and the lower vents, and then all re-position in B mode to double as a pseudo-backpack thruster is just genius. it would be a shame if the airbrake couldn't flip up to reveal the fans in F mode.

And I'm still a little bit peeved about the non-gold canopy, but whatever. It's a small gripe on an otherwise near flawless interpretation of the 51.

Edited by Vic Mancini

damn, im glad i did preordered it but at the same scared of the potiential problems might come with the 1st version. It was really out of my trend to go for a 1st release (VF-0A Shin is begging for company), then to wait for the 2nd release after reviews. Oh well this sv-51 is going to stay in its fighter mode till all is clear and well.

Edited by recon

ugh, this "QC" term is driving me nuts. Every time I read a post that quotes Yamato's "QC" issues I cringe, and usually just let it go. But I think I need to say something, even if it doesn't help.

When people quote the Yamato "QC" issues we all know what it's referring to. My issue is that 90% of the problems are not QC problems, but design flaws and I think a general misunderstanding is propegating this term.

QC stans for Quality Control, a process used during production to ensure that what's being produced on the assembly line matches the product design.

a QC issue would be:

• two left arms on a valk
  • magnets put in backwards causing fast packs to repel instead of attract
  • screws tightened too much causing stress marks
  • too little glue used to hold a part in place
These are all things not in the design, but result from someone not doing their job right on the production line. As far as QC goes, Yamato has been pretty good.

The Design Flaws are what are common to all valks and what most have complaints about, but we keep calling them "QC" problems.

Design Flaws:

• YF-19 shoulder gap
  • YF-19 neck hinge fitting improperly causing it to stress/ break
  • VF-0 Shoulder cracking because the material was too weak
  • YF-19 gun pod mis-aligned
  • YF-19 wheels not extending all the way out
These are things QC can't do anything about, and require a designer to fix, usually new molds.

Idealy Yamato will check what is produced from their final molds before they run however many valks from them, and redo the molds if a design flaw is found. But in the past they havn't been that careful and usually end up fixing a mold only for the second runs.

Anyway, I've said all I want to on this. Back to the SV-51

I'm hopeful that Yamato has done a more thorough job of checking the final products for design flaws, but I won't be shocked if they turn up. It might be a product of them being unfamiliar with using CAD to design molds. The first Valk they designed in CAD was the yf-19, wich had the most flaws by far, and this is the first truely new valk the've produced since. Hopefull they put what they learned from the 19 into the SV-51 to keep the issues to a minimum. But who knows. I have mine on preorder still, and I don't think I'll cancel it.

The first Valk they designed in CAD was the yf-19, wich had the most flaws by far, and this is the first truely new valk the've produced since.

I'm pretty sure the 1/48 VF-1 is the first Valk they produced using a CAD based design. Anyone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dante74 is right, the 1/48 was yamato's first CAD design.

Can we please stop derailing every yamato thread with crap from previous/other releases. The yf-19 thread has like three threads now, all of which have devolved into non stop bickering. The VF-0 has/had four threads now, devoted to the shoulder issue.

mid august? I guess the wife doesn't need to go to Akihabara after all, too late. I guess this gives me more time to consider

wether the 1st release is safe enough... Still i would have liked to get this one from Japan delivered by a hot blonde. :p :P :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

mid august? I guess the wife doesn't need to go to Akihabara after all, too late. I guess this gives me more time to consider

wether the 1st release is safe enough... Still i would have liked to get this one from Japan delivered by a hot blonde. :p :P :p

Ah, so I'm not the only one that's still on the fence about getting the Ivanov SV-51. I've still got a pre-order going, but the Nora version is looking sweet ^_^ too and I'm not sure I can afford both. With Yamato's record for first releases I'm not sure what to do. :mellow: I'd love to have the Ivanov ASAP and I just put my toys in a display and look at them so it probably won't break, but still...

Meh, what the hell, you only live once right?

Anyone else think this will be the first Yammie to be over $200?

it strikes me that the YF-21 didn't take as much work to do as the YF-19 or the SV-51, so I don't think so.

EDIT: not that it was easy either.

Edited by kensei

Ah, so I'm not the only one that's still on the fence about getting the Ivanov SV-51. I've still got a pre-order going, but the Nora version is looking sweet ^_^ too and I'm not sure I can afford both. With Yamato's record for first releases I'm not sure what to do. :mellow: I'd love to have the Ivanov ASAP and I just put my toys in a display and look at them so it probably won't break, but still...

Meh, what the hell, you only live once right?

lol, well i was thinking of getting it only if it got 90% good reviews and for the fact the wife can pick it up while she waits

for the transit flight (around a whole day) and pick up the SV-51 without me having to pay for the shipping fee.

Umm, yeah i'd be saving, the train ticket via Narita Express ain't that much... i can't remember lol. I'll wait with ya Dante.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

it strikes me that the YF-21 didn't take as much work to do as the YF-19 or the SV-51, so I don't think so.

EDIT: not that it was easy either.

That is because yamato uses the sv-51 to test some ideas for the yf-21.