Toynami:

yeah, just logged in to my account on BBTS and the price was adjusted to 149.99 for my pre-order

gonna cancel also

this might be good though, maybe BBTS will relay to Toynami how many people canceled after the price adjust

Roger, tell your sister.....

you were right

oh yeah and the part in the BBTS email that says "but on the bright side, with a MSRP, the figure should be that much more amazing." gets a big LOL from me

Should be and what what will be from Toynami could be vastly different

Edited by chowyunskinny

*cancels his betas orders* =[ ahh so it was only a dream...

wonder if twpanime is going to do something like this too.

edit*

this was on the twin moons anime site...

IMPORTANT NOTICE ABOUT TOYNAMI ROBOTECH BETA MPC PRICE

We recently had the Toynami Robotech Beta MPC figures listed at $79.99 based on pricing information that we had received from Toynami. However, we were recently informed by them that the pricing provided was INCORRECT and that they would retail for around $150-$200. Due to this reason, we have had to cancel all pre-orders for these and will re-solicit them once we have exact pricing from Toynami. We apologize for any confusion caused, but unfortunately this is beyond our control.

Edited by Hikaru's VF-1S

It is interesting that when the price was $80 there was a great deal of interest and pre-orders.

Then the price is increased as a result of Toynami's pricing error.

I like to give people and companies the benefit of the doubt but it seems that Toynami is trying to milk a cash cow.

The situation is questionable since there was an offer and acceptance but no exchange of value...so the distributor and we as the consumers may not have a legal contract.

Toynami will say that the $80 was not an offer but an advertisement.....bla bla bla.....

Either way... companies like Twin Moons and BBTS are left holding the bag publicly and financially due to Toynami's error or deceit, whichever side of the coin you want to be on.

This is the side of toy collecting and being a member on Macrossworld that makes things fun... trying to guess how decisions are made relative to the products we want.

The sad fact is that the stores will be the ones left with unsellable items if Toynami's nonsense alienates the customer which will translate into wasted capital and inventory that will only be moved once the prices are dropped.

Toynami will not care because they will have already made a profit but Twin Moons and BBTS will be the ones taking the loss.

Either way I only want a Blue and Shadow Beta. Perhaps need to revisit the idea of making my own non-transforming version since all I want is it for fighter mode and at the most complex, the Beta version of "GERWALK".

Oh and for those that will say "I told you so in the future"... yes I am worried about quality control but will buy one hoping that the wings will not fall off just sitting in a display case.

I don't see why retailers would be left "holding the bag," so to speak. This is a pre-order item being offered six months in advance. The retailers base the amount they order on the pre-order numbers, so theoretically, when the stock arrives, most of it goes right out the door. If the price changed closer to the release date, then I could see this being an issue. That's not what happened here, though. The price changed just a few days after the pre-order was offered.

I can understand the idea that retailers might sell more of these if they were priced at $80 instead of $150-200, but that's true of everything. They'd probably sell more of those $8 Star Wars figures if they were priced at $3, but they're not. The toys still find their audience. The people willing to pay $8 or $150 for a Darth Maul toy line up with their their pre-orders, and that's it. If companies like BBTS couldn't handle this well, they wouldn't be around.

About 2 years ago, I had written in a thread (here, or on rt.com) that the Beta toy shouldn't cost more than $150.

So here we are, 2 years later. Given the changes that have happened since 2006, like the sharp rise in the price of crude oil (which affects plastics and shipping costs), the rapidly weakening dollar, and the rising costs of labor in China, do you think it should cost the same, assuming that they're doing a run of just 10,000 (as reported on CollectionDX)?

Just curious.

I agree, nobody really got screwed by this screw-up. I doubt anyone (Tam or Joel) had actually put an order in with Toynami for tons of cases of these things. Neither one will probably be placing their orders for quite a while from now. Then, when you consider the fact Toynami has never even come close to hitting an initial release date, they would both have even more time to change orders around. The only thing that sucks here is that Joel and Tam have a bit of egg on their face for putting something up that had the wrong price and those things happen. This is nothing as shady as when Toynami upped their production run figures on the first MPC VF-1 series after preorders had already been taken. "Lots of diecast and only 10K made!" That was a bit more of a debacle. I didn't even preorder this Beta at the $79.99 mark for that very reason. I want to see a complete fact sheet about what it comes with, which ones are being made, and what features it has before I agree to purchase it at any price.

Heh, knew that was too good to be true. I was actually going to order a couple. At least one to match one of my green and one of my shadow Alphas and possibly more for the rest later.

Now... I'll definitely wait until the markdown and then probably only buy one for my Shadow.

Yep, cancelled mine too. Toynami can say whatever they want, but that toy shouldn't be more than $100 at the most. It lacks elements to justify a higher cost (complexity, guaranteed QC issues, etc).

Maybe they really will see how many people cancel their pre-orders and decide to make it reasonably priced.

Guys, guys (and gals?) do yourselves a favor and quit painting yourselves into an

"idiot corner". Just preorder 1 of what you would like and be glad you got it for

the "shelf price". Because we all know that when it comes out it will be sweeter than

the "piss and moan" crowd paint it out to be (even if only marginally...) and I am

quite sure nobody wants to have to face the spectre of paying secondary market

prices for these.

Yep, cancelled mine too. Toynami can say whatever they want, but that toy shouldn't be more than $100 at the most. It lacks elements to justify a higher cost (complexity, guaranteed QC issues, etc).

I agree, this toy lacks the guaranteed QC issues that justify the higher cost of Yamato's toys.

I agree, this toy lacks the guaranteed QC issues that justify the higher cost of Yamato's toys.

Heck, Yamato's toys lack the guaranteed QC issues that justify the higher cost of Yamato' toys... :ph34r:

However, I agree that what Toynami puts out aren't even worth their standard MPC MSRPs. At most the Beta could retail for 1.5 times the Alpha's retail price ($119.99)... I think I could talk myself into swallowing that; but $150-200, with their track record, is most definitely too much.

Sorry but that's crap...If a store puts something up for a price they legally have to honor that price. If they have a problem with it they can take it up with Toynami. I guess I'll call the shop I ordered from and relate this point. If they don't honor the price they won't be getting my business anymore. :angry:

Sorry but that's crap...If a store puts something up for a price they legally have to honor that price. If they have a problem with it they can take it up with Toynami. I guess I'll call the shop I ordered from and relate this point. If they don't honor the price they won't be getting my business anymore. :angry:

Legally they don't. I've had a similar problem with big name online retailers like Amazon.

So you expect the shop to take it in the ass because of a mess up? And if they don't you won't do business with them? Wow, you sound like a stand up customer. I'm sure they'll miss your patronage.

Legally they don't. I've had a similar problem with big name online retailers like Amazon.

So you expect the shop to take it in the ass because of a mess up? And if they don't you won't do business with them? Wow, you sound like a stand up customer. I'm sure they'll miss your patronage.

Actually, in this case a contingent purchase of an alpha was made due to the pricing of the beta. Now I'm stuck with an alpha without a beta because there's not a chance that I'm paying $149 or more for a beta.

Also Stand-up stores take responsibility for their mistakes rather than shafting their customers. This has happened more than once on products I've preordered from companies and every other company I've had this happen with has "taken it the ass for their loyal customers"

BTW...love the snideness of your remarks. You sound like a real stand up guy....

Actually, in this case a contingent purchase of an alpha was made due to the pricing of the beta. Now I'm stuck with an alpha without a beta because there's not a chance that I'm paying $149 or more for a beta.

Also Stand-up stores take responsibility for their mistakes rather than shafting their customers. This has happened more than once on products I've preordered from companies and every other company I've had this happen with has "taken it the ass for their loyal customers"

BTW...love the snideness of your remarks. You sound like a real stand up guy....

I actually e-mailed BBTS saying pretty much the same thing. We'll see if they do anything about it b/c it's BS that they changed the price, even if it was only partially their fault. I think a store takes a chance when they assume the price is something instead of inquiring first. BBTS just wanted to put out the pre-order first to get as many people as possible. If the price changes, then they should have to eat the cost difference for putting it out before the price was finalized...

Why should BBTS, Twin Moons, or any store have to honor prices when no money actually changed hands? Nobody actually paid for anything, they just made a reservation which they could cancel at any time, for any reason.

Word of the day: entitlement.

Stores should not lose money, and their business, because the manufacturer made a "mistake". It doesnt make any sense. The stores are honorable enough to tell the clients now. It is not their fault. YOu guys should take your anger on Toynami, not the stores. Imagine it was your business, and your means of a living. If manufacturer made a mistake, either manufacturer has to pay, or if thats impossible, and really so early on, then no way should a store pay the price, comon guys, think about it.

Got my BBTS notice. I fount this part too funny.

"I again apologize for the error, but on the bright side, with a MSRP, the figure should be that much more amazing. "

"They don't know Toynami every well do they."

Time to log into my account and cancel, at least I can go back and say "when hell freezes over".

Why should BBTS, Twin Moons, or any store have to honor prices when no money actually changed hands? Nobody actually paid for anything, they just made a reservation which they could cancel at any time, for any reason.

Word of the day: entitlement.

B/c BBTS knew the price might not be $79.99 but put that out as quickly as possible to draw as much business as possible. If you read BBTS's reply, it says $79.99 minimum, which means that's the cheapest. They didn't even note this on their page. I actually suggested to them that they may want to contact Toynami and see if they can come to some kind of agreement on an in-between price for pre-order customers since it's kind of both BBTS's and Toynami's faults. That way, neither company should lose any money, but neither will make a substantial profit off the pre-orders so far. That way, they both take responsibility for a mistake in judgement/business.

Edited by protostar8

Actually there is a law here in Minnesota requiring online companies to uphold their prices to Minnesota residents no matter what the cause of the mistake or price change or the location of the business. All I have to do is simply file a case in civil court...its a rather open and shut deal. I've known a few people who have done this and won without even hiring a lawyer. And if they did the courts would have made the offending business pay those lawyer fees.

Also I happen to own and run my own business and If I make a mistake with one of my clients, I EAT THE COST. simple as that. That is what upstanding businesses do.

Edited by jwinges

Oh yeah, it's totally their fault that you bought that toy. It was pretty well established the price wasn't confirmed. Logic and previous comments all placed the Beta's price at $150-200.

You guys whining about stores not honoring these prices sound like spoiled children. You thought you were getting away with a sweet deal and now that you aren't you're acting like you've been ripped off and are entitled to something.

This is one of the key difference between online stores and actual store with a building. If there is a pricing error an actual store tends to honor the listed price.

yeah but everyone here jumped on it knowing the price could be wrong... I don't think anyone really expected BBTS or Tam to cover almost half the price of the Beta. The debacle is Toynami's fault.

yeah but everyone here jumped on it knowing the price could be wrong... I don't think anyone really expected BBTS or Tam to cover almost half the price of the Beta. The debacle is Toynami's fault.

QFT.

People jumped on this very clearly with the knowledge that the price could be wrong. It was implied throughout the thread.

Grand scheme of things, it's another proverbial feather in Toynami's crap-filled cap.

Already cancelled my pre-order yesterday with BBTS. Nothing personal against them mind you. But it's just business. They offered a ridiculously good price; I placed a pre-order. They changed the price to something else; I went ahead and canceled it. Again, it's just business. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll probably still wind up getting the Beta (ASSUMING THE PRICE IS REASONABLE). But at this point, I'll probably go with one of the reliable dealers/sellers that posts here on our boards.

Unless BBTS can offer the Beta at a significantly lower price than them, I'll just go with the dealers/sellers I've usually bought my Macross and Mospeada goodies from in the past.

I really don't know what everyone is on BBTS's case about. if you pre-ordered the figure and don't like the revised price just cancel your damn pre-order. No one's been ripped off, and they sent you a notice telling you about a significant price change. If they had waited til the thing was released and then dumped the suprise increase on you, then you'd have a case. Sheesh. The people saying BBTS should honor that price are just moaning because they want a 150 dollar toy for 80.

By the same respect, BBTS posted the price knowing it could be wrong as it was the "minimum" price, but failed to tell customers that information until after they changed the price. Also, there isn't any reason the Beta couldn't have been $80 other than Toynami wanting to milk the cash cow. I honestly thought Toynami figured out how to sell a ton of them for a decent price instead of over-charging. And again, I think BBTS and Toynami should "meet in the middle" to come up with a price for pre-order customers that ordered for the incorrect price.

Grand scheme of things, it's another proverbial feather in Toynami's crap-filled cap.

Already cancelled my pre-order yesterday with BBTS. Nothing personal against them mind you. But it's just business. They offered a ridiculously good price; I placed a pre-order. They changed the price to something else; I went ahead and canceled it. Again, it's just business. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'll probably still wind up getting the Beta (ASSUMING THE PRICE IS REASONABLE). But at this point, I'll probably go with one of the reliable dealers/sellers that posts here on our boards.

Unless BBTS can offer the Beta at a significantly lower price than them, I'll just go with the dealers/sellers I've usually bought my Macross and Mospeada goodies from in the past.

So, which sellers will probably have the lowest cost Beta? I'd be interested in finding one as cheap as possible. Thanks in advance.

Edited by protostar8

I half agree... I doubt that both BBTS and TMP would make the same mistake unless they were lead to believe that that was the actual price.

The sheet said the price was 'to be disclosed' at a later date, but there was an asterisk '*' by the item number, and a asterisk '*' note on the bottom of the page stating that all Masterpiece items with the asterisk were to be priced at a $79.99 minimum price.

As you can see they READ the catalog very carefully and tried to offer it at a really low price for their customers. And as payback they get the pitchfork and torches treatment.

Like I mentioned previously in the thread, low prices isn't a reason to buy from BBTS. If anything, they're normally a bit pricier than their competitors. If you want a wide selection domestically, fast shipping, and excellent customer service, then that's why'd you buy from them.

Although I'm sure based on the last couple pages of this thread people here with the aforementioned pitchforks and torches in hand will continue to contest the customer service from them based on changing a *pre-order* price for a product to be released months and months from now, where absolutely no money changed hand, where they were notified with an apology in very short order that it was wrong, and which was ultimately based on a misleading vendor catalog from Toynami which also mislead other online stores into thinking the same thing.

Really. This thread is becoming quite silly.

180px-Graham_Chapman_Colonel.jpg

Any thread concerning Toynami becomes a downward spiral. Except for the one toy they got right... voltron. Hopefully they dont screw up the plastic version or else that one will begin it's slide also.