Toynami:

hiya, well i got my shadow fighter i bought on ebay for $5 (paypal had this $50 coupon that i somehow got to work and i only then had to pay for shipping of $5 =P), is there a way to push the arms back closed in fighter mode cuz its still slightly not connected fully. also does the grey box piece on the back of the fighter open up to tuck the radar flap thing? seems kinda hard to open and i dont want to force it XP

also any directions online on how to transform? i dont want to open the book =P seems pretty cool...

Edited by Hikaru's VF-1S

If it doesn't seem like it opens, it probably doesn't. Until you can post pics I definitely wouldn't apply more than a miniscule amount of pressure. If you're talking about the area that the destabilizer gun attaches to in fighter mode then that definitely does not open backward (interestingly enough, it does open backward on the Aoshima versions undoubtedly because so many people broke their Toynami ones). That area just pushes inward so the canopy from fighter mode can sink into the butt a little bit and make for a more flush soldier appearance. On the non shadow fighters you can't fit the shoulder-mounted sensor array in so don't even try.

Also, fitting the arms 100% closed is almost always impossible for a couple reasons. Even if everything is 100% where it should be the fit is normally off just enough where the arms don't lock closed all the way and spring open a millimeter or so... you just have to kinda live with the gap.

Maybe we should start looking around for good replacement hands more seriously, and ask one of our resident recasters to make some sets.

I wasn't that concerned about the hands when I first got my Alphas, but since I broke one of them I'm terrified to even touch the toys, because it didn't even offered any resistance when it broke.

I don't even care if the hand has moving fingers as long as it can be stored in the forearm and hold the gun.

Maybe we should start looking around for good replacement hands more seriously, and ask one of our resident recasters to make some sets.

I wasn't that concerned about the hands when I first got my Alphas, but since I broke one of them I'm terrified to even touch the toys, because it didn't even offered any resistance when it broke.

I don't even care if the hand has moving fingers as long as it can be stored in the forearm and hold the gun.

I'll second this idea. I'd buy at least a half dozen sets to cover what I have and have an extra for each.

I'm not too familiar with the figure, but would the Alpha poseable hands work at all? I know the scale is similar.

Supposedly the Superposable hands were a good fit for replacing the hands on the MPCs, but then you had to have one of those lying around to steal the hands from... it'd be great if we could get someone like Eternal_D to make and cast some fixed pose hands that really work here...

Just bought my first Aoshima. I'm scared to hell of opening it and having it explode/implode/disintegrate/all of the above in my hands.

I have some spare Stealth 1/48 hands that I can swap for if the hands on this DO fall apart. Can anyone post a few pics of alternate hands ON theirs?

so i got my Blue Alpha, looks pretty cool, looks a lot better with the stickers applied. I notice his joints are loose thou =[ is there anyway to make them tighter? also is there ways to fix the flap panel (where the radar thingy goes by its head) cuz its really loose and falls out sometimes. i'll probably leave him in fighter mode but just wondering if hteres ways to fix theses. Hands are in good condition at least =]

now im ready for a beta! =D

Hey guys, since the Toynami Alpha isn't out of my budget, I am thinking about getting one in the future. I've always liked the Legioss mecha design. Is there any way to avoid breakages? I've been staring at jenius' pictures at anymoon.com, and at yaco's gallery pics on his blog. The Toynami doesn't look bad. However after seeing a severed arm at anymoon on a red MPC, and hearing about the numerous breakages some of you had, I was wondering if there were any ways to avoid it. I am starting to think there isn't. I would hate to buy one MIB off robotech.com and to open the box to see an arm fall off. That would irritate me to no end. I am a fan of Toynami's VF-1 MPC's, and concluded that the Alphas must be better. However after reading several reviews, I was surprised to find the notion that maybe the VF-1 MPC's were actually more durable.

Thoughts>?

Hey guys, since the Toynami Alpha isn't out of my budget, I am thinking about getting one in the future. I've always liked the Legioss mecha design. Is there any way to avoid breakages? I've been staring at jenius' pictures at anymoon.com, and at yaco's gallery pics on his blog. The Toynami doesn't look bad. However after seeing a severed arm at anymoon on a red MPC, and hearing about the numerous breakages some of you had, I was wondering if there were any ways to avoid it. I am starting to think there isn't. I would hate to buy one MIB off robotech.com and to open the box to see an arm fall off. That would irritate me to no end. I am a fan of Toynami's VF-1 MPC's, and concluded that the Alphas must be better. However after reading several reviews, I was surprised to find the notion that maybe the VF-1 MPC's were actually more durable.

Thoughts>?

Unfortunately about the only way to avoid breakages that many of these suffer from is to not take the thing out of the box. Even then it could be broken already. Most of the problems people have had, including myself, don't involve any mishandling at all, just poor design and poor materials. Like the hands. All I did was gently open the fingers on the right hand on my Aoshima and the pin popped right out as the plastic cracked. The right arm itself was assembled incorrectly so it couldn't turn or bend at the joints, and couldn't be fixed easily because the parts are glued together. Every single problem on the Toynami and the Aoshima I had were straight-out-of-the-box defects. And that's pretty common. It's too bad, because with more care from Toynami's end this could have been a really fantastic Legioss toy.

If you never touch the hands you might be alright. Also take extreme caution with the front landing gear's door as there's a little piece of plastic that maintains its ability to stay closed and can easily be broken or bent. Beyond that you're looking at elevated odds of getting a lemon but not so elevated like you need to feel like you have a 50/50 chance of getting crap. Chances are you'll get one that will be decent enough... but there are chances you won't. Of all the ones I've owned only one had a limb fall off on its own accord, I had another that had crooked landing gears, and another that had the peg on the arm affixed to the slot in the leg. You'll probably also have a crooked head :/

the best way to avoid disappointment is to pickup modelling skills and repair them with modifications and such when possible..

i did it mysaelf and i had a great blue and green legioss ( aoshima's version) and my CM corp's legioss is coming soon also.. i think i can rest assure that will be better.. maybe..

When is this thing finaly comming out?

I mean you can say what you want about the CM legioss & Tread, expencive, not a good link-up...etc. but the time between prototype and finisched pruduct just flew by. while i am looking at a painted version of the Toynami Beta for over 2 years now.. :(

Edited by gilermo

I mean you can say what you want about the CM legioss & Tread, expencive, not a good link-up...etc. but the time between prototype and finisched pruduct just flew by. while i am looking at a painted version of the Toynami Beta for over 2 years now..

Last time I counted it was 3. Remember the MPC VF-1 series? Those were delayed a LONG time even after their preorders.

As for the Beta, I'll think it will come out for sure if BBTS ever gets them in a factory. Other than that, I'll wait for the CMs to hopefully drop down in price, or for Toynami to finally junk the diecast in the lower arms, and ratchet them shoulders.

Ah. what brilliant and Witty responses you have.

Don't you Americans wear armour when you play football to prevent injury? does it have a so-so success rate or soemthing?

Now that's funny! :lol::lol::lol:

btw LMFAO = laugh my f@#$ing A## off.

Do I believe the Beta will eventually be on sale? Yes.

Do I think Toynami will meet their projected release date? No. I'd expect to see the first Beta out by this time next year at the earliest... hope I'm wrong on this, though.

Do I expect the toy to have exorcised Toynami's poor engineering, material choices, and abysmal QC? IMO, we'll see little, if any, improvement over the Alphas.

Do I hope Toynami will revise their MSRP (currently proposed to be anywhere from $150-$200)? No. If anything, I foresee them proposing the final cost to be closer to the upper limit then the lower one... hoping to be wrong here too. However, I believe that we'll see them selling under MSRP within 4 months of release. Unless reviews are absolutely stellar I'm not shelling out full retail for this. IMO, their Beta should be no more than $120 (1.5 x the price of the Alpha) each.

Seein how simple the CMs toy is and how not-overwhelmingly-large it is has me wondering what Toynami must be smoking if they think there version should retail for $150. I do think we'll see less problems with it than their MPC Alpha. If the MPC Alpha is a 10 on a scale of complexity the Beta is a 5. If they go the smart route and include two connecting booms they won't have to worry too much about complexity there either.

Ah, Crystal-balling. :)

Do I believe the Beta will eventually be on sale? Yes.

I tend to agree. Now, with CM already proving there is a market -- although not sure how big it is at the moment -- Toynami has more incentive to sell their Beta. There probably are manufacturing problems at the back end and they probably won't produce as many (since they still have leftover stocks of Alphas..), so I'm guessing we might not see one Beta of the four possibles. At this point, I'm guessing Shadow Beta..

Do I think Toynami will meet their projected release date? No. I'd expect to see the first Beta out by this time next year at the earliest... hope I'm wrong on this, though.

I'm thinking end year '08, first version for the Christmas rush. They have most of the hard work done, it's really just sourcing for the right manufacturers and any other business decisions.

I'm also thinking, if we don't see a first release by, say, your date, we're unlikely ever to see one from Toynami. Interest wave would have passed and demand probably drop lower, especially with CM now more readily available than the old Gakken.

Do I expect the toy to have exorcised Toynami's poor engineering, material choices, and abysmal QC? IMO, we'll see little, if any, improvement over the Alphas.

Agreed. In terms of complex, transformable toys, Toynami simply does not have the track record.

Do I hope Toynami will revise their MSRP (currently proposed to be anywhere from $150-$200)? No. If anything, I foresee them proposing the final cost to be closer to the upper limit then the lower one... hoping to be wrong here too. However, I believe that we'll see them selling under MSRP within 4 months of release. Unless reviews are absolutely stellar I'm not shelling out full retail for this. IMO, their Beta should be no more than $120 (1.5 x the price of the Alpha) each.

Agreed, I think it'll hit the higher range for MSRP, but it would come with a nice box. (As an aside, maybe the box design is what's holding things up. Hard to design a box sufficiently big to hold the Beta and the required dead air space...)

Will it come down in price on the reseller market? Probably. How far? Depends on how big a lemon. If it's ok -- meaning Toynami-ok, QC hit-and-miss, etc -- I'll think it'll fall to what, 75% to 80% of MSRP? If it's terrible, lower, but we probably won't want to get it. If it's stellar, well, bullet-biting time.

Yes, the little tab on the gun should fit in the little slot opposite where the VTOL thruster would be if the Shadow had one. It's not the best fit in the world and it gets really tricky because if you have to apply pressure you might just push the area it's supposed to fit in downward instead of getting the gun to stick.

i been trying to fit the cannon in but for some reason its not working. oh wells im leaving it in guardian mode displayed for now.

btw, anyoen interested in the blue toynami alpha? i have an ebay auction for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Robotech-Masterpiece-A...1QQcmdZViewItem

also have other stuff there like mangas and other figures. Help me recieve a legioss/tread combo! lol