New Robotech Shadow Chronicles Vid

This is probably the dumbest thread we've had in recent memory.

422270[/snapback]

No... they earn the nomination for dumbest comments in a thread.

422277[/snapback]

you guys expected more from the subject matter?

energy source (you would still get the annoying English songs though).

But this master plan has a fatal flaw… What would today’s whiners whine about if there is no Shadow Chronicles to hate/whine about?

Hmm, good question. I'd guess about not getting a proper release of Space Battleship Yamato!

Whining in the Internet makes some people happy so HG made a lot of people in this forum happy by making the whole Robotech thing. Shadow Chronicles continues that blessing.

422265[/snapback]

And don't forget, it also makes 9 out of 10 fiberglass cat robots shake with fear.

For the sake of RT fans I just hope they manage to make some toys if this sells well:

-plastic equivalent to the masterpiece alpha (with beta link up, learn from all the mistakes from the earlier alphas. Just like how we got diecast binaltech transformers and plastic alts that's what I want to see for RT. I hate floppy limbs)

-cyclones (give us anything new that appears in this show. Are they going to be using new designs?)

I love mospeada, so I actually hope this doesn't suck. Because if it really does suck it won't just be macross purists that will be battying, but the rt fans who waited 20 over years to find out what happened to all the character from Macross Saga. I'm going to watch just to get a complete ending to the story.

If this turns out to be another sentinels......

422282[/snapback]

I bet it will and after TSC they will be forced to wait another 20 years.

you guys expected more from the subject matter?

422363[/snapback]

The more important question is if I expected MW members to not sound like stupidly obsessed paranoid fruitcakes.

(I don't, anymore)

422429[/snapback]

Hush! You are destroying the purpose in life HG has given these people.

Alrighty. Enough with the bashing. Either discuss Shadow Chronicles Story/Animation/thoughts on plot or dont post at all. Kthxbai.

No baiting either. If you want to Discuss HG and its "buisiness" dealings than use the debate thread at the top.

Hmm, HG's '..big, debut screening...during Cannes festival', but just so happening in a back alley theatre, involved w/the actual, world-renowned cinematics event only by reason of timing?

Anybody here a fan of the old "Bob & Doug MacKenzie/GWN", 2nd-City team of Doug Flahrety & Rick Moranis? Re-watch the first 10-15 mins of their movie, "Strange Brew" for a possible parallel 'film debut screening event' for comparisons. ;)

:D

I LOLed. Every time someone thinks happy thoughts about TSC, God kills a hot asian supermodel. Please... think of the supermodels.

Trailers looked meh. The fact that ADV wouldn't release this pap under their label is an absolute riot (c'mon, ADV will publish ANYTHING...). I'm sure I'll give it a check, but they're making it really hard to approach it with anything close to an open mind.

I was told that HG was looking for distributors with greater reach than ADV.  I'm pretty sure this was also covered earlier in this very thread.

423691[/snapback]

I don't see how ADV how ADV has any greater reach than Funimation. Besides TV (cable or broadcast), neither one IMHO, has any clear advantage. Unless we get down to the finances issue.

The previews I've seen so far have been rather bland. Too much CGI for my liking.

What the heck was Macross Zero? :p

I agree it doesn't impress as much (by a long shot). The thing is you can do cell shading so that it doesn't look so forced and plastic - GITS: SAC comes to mind. I've seen stuff in commercials the local community college's computer animation program that looked as good as this.

Edited by Batou

Maybe the CG studio was holding out with the "good" renders until HG coughed up the money to pay them. Just as the mythical screenings were a ruse to get a licensor, perhaps the final CG will be improved now that the cash exists to fund it.

I for one can't wait to see how they make those cat robots crumble apart with modern technology!

And I can't pass up mentioning the design of the women – all of whom were given triple-D cup breasts. Sure, while any guy likes to look at big boobies, the way the women are depicted here is more ridiculous and distracting than sexy. Honestly, it feels like it takes away a small portion of the movie's credibility.

What a retard! Don't he know that their melons are big to hold extra protoculture?

ok there's finally a review by someone:

Aint It Cool News Review

424621[/snapback]

So...the verdict is "good but not great." No surprises there.

I wish they hadn't felt it neccesary to bring in new characters who were in some way related to old favorites. I may be in the minority on this, but such tricks always make a multi-tiered story seem much more provincial and less epic in scope.

I understand the desire to please fanboys though...but it always seems a bit cheap (like putting chewbaca in the prequals, that kinda stuff).

Thanks for posting the link to the review chowyunskinny, much appreciated. And Darkwater is a big fan of the show, famous on the RT.com forums, so I think his review is very credible. Good, but not great. Ah well. There was just way too much anticipation for this movie. But I'll still buy the DVD.

:)

I wish they hadn't felt it neccesary to bring in new characters who were in some way related to old favorites.

One thing I've always hated about Robotech is their insisting upon using this trick. In the actual animation it's not too bad, Dana is M&M's kid, no big deal. The books though seemed to connect everyone to someone else. Sure, it's a much smaller world, that doesn't mean every character has to directly relate to the 10-15 characters who were previously established as being important a generation ago.

It sounds like this film is exactly what MWers should be looking for. Those who hate RT will be able to blast the show for having crappy animation and an uninviting storyline and those who like RT will enjoy the obscure references and the sentimental return of some characters. For me, I'm just thrilled it sounds watch-able and that potentially means we might see toys for it :)

And I can't pass up mentioning the design of the women – all of whom were given triple-D cup breasts. Sure, while any guy likes to look at big boobies, the way the women are depicted here is more ridiculous and distracting than sexy. Honestly, it feels like it takes away a small portion of the movie's credibility.

What a retard! Don't he know that their melons are big to hold extra protoculture?

424626[/snapback]

I'm sorry, were you saying something? I was breast...busy reading the article. The review tit...touched on some good points. It's nice to know that someone has actually seen this f*ck...flick. Now we can ass..all stop complaining about who has seen it. Can't say I wasn't ejaculating...expecting that kind of review though. The hype aroused...around this flick from the HG realm has been quite high. I won't expect people's hopes to be penis..put down in the end though.

Edited by azrael

Thanks for posting the link to the review chowyunskinny, much appreciated.  And Darkwater is a big fan of the show, famous on the RT.com forums, so I think his review is very credible.  Good, but not great.  Ah well.  There was just way too much anticipation for this movie.  But I'll still buy the DVD.

:)

424644[/snapback]

I'll rent it first. I don't feel "safe" for me to buy it since a hardcore RT fan gives it 3/5. I'll probably give it a 1 or 2 out of 5 since I am not a RT fan.

As for SC's 3D, I think HG try their best with limited resource to make it. (I'll try not to compare it with Macross Zero. :lol: )

As for SC's 3D, I think HG try their best with limited resource to make it. (I'll try not to compare it with Macross Zero

And yet, there will be quite a few Robotech fans out there that will say that SC 3D is way better than Yukikaze or Macross Zero <_<

At the end, it doest sound that SC will be the Daikatana of the Robotech Franchise.

Any how, I like to sufer, so I'll pick it up as soon as it comes out :p

LOL, the second review makes me totally want to see this. It almost sounds like the guy is reviewing a sequel to The Bible. "Robotech was bigger than GI Joe and Transformers and now they've ruined it!" Um, no, Robotech was not. I think this reviewer may be just a bit too into Robotech and may have had their expectations a bit too high. Still, if it's craptacular enough to get 1/5 stars from the dude then I know I'm going to be amused by it one way or the other. I think all we're missing now is a review by the "HG can do no wrong!" guy and we will be able to gleam a collective nothing from three different reviews.

they added a 2nd review to the link I posted

this one's a worse review than the 1st

scroll down for 2nd review

424797[/snapback]

I don't get it, he knows how to spell kinesiology, but not canon? How seriously can I take him, honestly?

He seemed to only be reviewing it in relation to the previous shows, so it's no wonder it came up short. Even with dubbing and editing, Macross and Mospeada are damn good shows with great characters...

I think Darkwater also kind of hit on something, it sounds like this OVA is meant to be part of a series (Oh God, can you imagine how long that series would take to come out???). So, it's like watching the first three episodes of MacrossZero or some other small series like that and then reviewing it. Obviously, the story will have sucked, the characters will feel undeveloped, and the resolution will be unsatisfactory.

Oh god, I can't watch this even for laughs if someone sings "We will win" in it.  :ph34r:

Well Macek's "Sentinels" was abandoned so hopefully the powers that be shelved the notion that Minmay stowed away on the SDF-3.

At the very least, SC could be a decent sequel to Mospeada.

Maybe they'll sell it in Japan and we'll get to see how the Japanese would tell the same story, without the RT universe... :p

That could be cool, considering Mospeada's premise was pretty good.

Anyway, I'm going to Anime Evolution in Vancouver next weekend and HG is going to have a panel, so I'll go and check it out... :rolleyes: