What Is...

Mechamaniac

I just finished re-watching SDF Macross for the umpteenth time, and aside from the cheesy recap episodes that all series have, one episode stands out as the most painful for me to watch...

Private Time

Why? - I just can't stand to watch Hikaru's STAGGERING stupidity rear it's head once again. In the preceding episode, he realizes in no uncertain terms that Misa is in love with him, and runs off to spend time with her. So, here you think that Hikaru is actually starting to make a concerted effort to at least be Misa's friend. But then, the dizbang Minmay calls, and he fubars his relationship with Misa yet again.

My least favorite part of Macross is the Virgin Road episode. Not only is it painful to watch, but the love story is REALLY REALLY far fetched.

"Hi, my name is Miriya and I'm here to kill you"

"Hi, my name is Max and you're beautiful. Want to get married you beautiful green haired alien? Oh, wait, let me humiliate you one more time in combat...."

Miriya is a good looking alien, but this is too much. I cringe throughout the episode.

Episode 14 "Global Report"

I cannot stand recap episodes. They are a vain attempt to either review for the audience what has happened up to this point (in case they slept through the first 13 episodes) or to update new viewers who weren't watching in the first place, so who cares? If there are some things that have been done, killed, then resurrected and killed again in science fiction, it is the evil twin, time travel, and the recap episode. Recap episodes should be illegal along with spandex, disco, and orange juice commercial jingles.

I also cast a vote for Virgin Road. The animation was execrable in it, and it was a key episode that shouldn't have been farmed out to AnimeFiend and Star Poo. It could have been so much better than it was. I can't, for instance, watch the knife fight between Max and Millia without cringing. Anyone who has seen how people fight with knives either on TV or in real life (I claim the former, not the latter) know that it's asinine to fence with them like they were epees. They also needed a few more beats to set up Millia falling in love with Max rather than making it a deus ex machina "Oh, I can't kill you , so I'll sleep with you" sort of thing.

Kung Fu Dandy was pretty bad, but it was a less important episode than Virgin Road. Max and Millia's wedding directly set up the events that led to Love Drifts Away.

Global Report. They should have scrapped this one, maybe saving some time for an extended ending showing us a bit more of what happened after. Show the vf-4, the megaroad, maybe a glimpse of some rebel zentradi out in space who had heard of what had happened on earth and were massing forces for another wave of attacks to keep the ending open-ended.

Oddly enough, Virgin Road is one of my favorite episodes due to all the cool Max and Millia action. Yes, it's unbelievable that he would hand her ass to her yet again, and she would mistake these feelings of shame and rage for love, but hey, it's no more unbelievable than 40 foot giant robots.

Mainly, the animation just KILLS me. Such a pivotal episode farmed out to what must have been a bunch of 10 year olds at AnimeFiend on "Bring your kid to work" day.

Sad.

Global Report. They should have scrapped this one, maybe saving some time for an extended ending showing us a bit more of what happened after. Show the vf-4, the megaroad, maybe a glimpse of some rebel zentradi out in space who had heard of what had happened on earth and were massing forces for another wave of attacks to keep the ending open-ended.

351485[/snapback]

chalk yet another, Glovals Report

Bah, I hate all the AnimeFriend episodes. Plotwise and besides the clip shows, I'd say Virgin Road sucks because it seems rushed. I realize it's because of the time limitations but it still sucks.

Also, Max tried to disable the pods instead of just blasting them. How lame is that? Just cuz his hot new green haired ho got all sad cuz they were her people. Lame.

is it just sdf macross?  I can see A1 saying he hates every ep of mac 7  :)

351414[/snapback]

Mechamaniac is cool so I knew he was talking about SDFM only... Only total pussies talk about M7.

Virgin Road. Just due to the worst animation ever. It pains me.

351703[/snapback]

Damn, here I thought the original Macross had better animation and "Wedding Bells" was just a hack done for the US... <_<

Can I get a discount on the set if I dont get this ep? :blink:

Seriously, what the hell happend there?

Episode 14 "Global Report"

I cannot stand recap episodes.  They are a vain attempt to either review for the audience what has happened up to this point (in case they slept through the first 13 episodes) or to update new viewers who weren't watching in the first place, so who cares?  If there are some things that have been done, killed, then resurrected and killed again in science fiction, it is the evil twin, time travel, and the recap episode.  Recap episodes should be illegal along with spandex, disco, and orange juice commercial jingles.

351461[/snapback]

I agree with you on that one.

Why is it that MANY anime episodes just wanna fill in space to recap what they've gone through. I mean, if people are just starting the series, doesn't it make sense to somehow start at the beggining of the series?

I supposed the only real thing is that in Japan, many school children have busy night schedules with extra curricular stuff and may miss some episodes, so this is to recap, but then I'd just use the VCR to tape the episodes I'd miss. <_<

This goes with Patlabor TV series as well, "Kanuka's Report" was pretty much a recap, but at least it had a small plot where the SV2 try to throw a bday surprise.

Gundam is probably the worst offender for doing recap episodes. Dude, my brains not that bad with it's memory, now is it?

Kind of a running theme with Macross. Don't be a nice guy like Hikaru. If you want the chicks, you have to be a badass ( Roy) or have no freaking clue (Max)

Whoa now, Max is considered a stud in Macross. Hik even gets a bit jealous when Max threatens to swoop on Minmei. Doesn't he even boast he's a great singer or was that just in Robotech? Eh, regardless, while Max may look dorky I believe you're supposed to have the impression that he's a lady's man although not in the style of Roy. Then again, I'll bet any man on the Macross could be a lady's man eventually. The girl you like has a boyfriend? Just be patient... he'll be dead soon. :)

Kind of a running theme with Macross. Don't be a nice guy like Hikaru. If you want the chicks, you have to be a badass ( Roy) or have no freaking clue (Max)

Whoa now, Max is considered a stud in Macross. Hik even gets a bit jealous when Max threatens to swoop on Minmei. Doesn't he even boast he's a great singer or was that just in Robotech?

He doesn't boast, but he DOES volunteer to sing in his commander's place(Longest Birthday, I believe. Hikaru neglects to bring Minmay a present, and she demands he sing for her guests as pennance).

Eh, regardless, while Max may look dorky I believe you're supposed to have the impression that he's a lady's man although not in the style of Roy. 

I always thought Max looked cool...

Anyways, it's not that Hikaru's a nice guy so much as he's hopelessly inept in personal relationships.

Worst: Phantasm or Virgin Road

Best: Miss Macross (detail on GBP-1S is awesome) or whatever #27 is called with the finale.

Seriously though, it would not hurt for someone to re-create Macross. They could make it a lot better and drum up more interest from the modern kiddies...unfortunately, however, you wouldn't have the original cast.

But from what I gather max was handsome enough to be a threat to hikaru which is why hikaru was warned that he might end up losing minmay to some other pilot. :D Especially in that scene. I don't think max was attracted to any of the girls apart from milia though, he was just being polite. I gather that people tend to be more self conscious around people whose looks they admire. And the people who know those people personally over years, notice a change in that person's behaviour when around that person they like. (ie explains why hikaru was given such sudden relationship advice)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

He doesn't boast, but he DOES volunteer to sing in his commander's place

How does volunteering to sing make you the ultimate ladies man?

It doesn't. Was totally unrelated to the rest of the conversation.

Max struck me as a stone cold killer as a pilot but thats all he was good at. Hes like one of those niche professionals in real life who are great at X ( dentist, accountant, welder) but can't cook scrambled eggs.

He struck me as something totally diffrent.

Max only got laid becaues he was better than a chick at the one single thing that they had in common and the one single thing they were both good at.

It was implied he was not new to the act.

Also: random excerpt from his bio on the Compendium.

"His unusually deep voice is a great asset in his "girl hunt,"... "

There you have it. He's a white Luther Vandross.

Edited by JB0

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa now, Max is considered a stud in Macross. Hik even gets a bit jealous when Max threatens to swoop on Minmei. Doesn't he even boast he's a great singer or was that just in Robotech? Eh, regardless, while Max may look dorky I believe you're supposed to have the impression that he's a lady's man although not in the style of Roy. Then again, I'll bet any man on the Macross could be a lady's man eventually. The girl you like has a boyfriend? Just be patient... he'll be dead soon. :)

351849[/snapback]

was he really a ladies man? or just a cool geek that eventually charmed a hot babe without him even knowing it? hehe. i think it's the latter. so even before guys like Quentin Terentino and the like made it cool to be a geek, max was there way before anyone else. :)

Btw, this is my first real post. Go Macross!! :)

No, I don't think Max was a geek at all, I think that's more robotech's bastardization that taints the views some have of Max. He was obviously always sukube.

356959[/snapback]

Oh crap, i got my versions mixed up again. yeah, you're right. he was a geek in robotech and not in SDF Macross. Damn you Carl Macek for giving me these false memories!!! :angry:

but, to finally go back to the topic, Max still sucks as a knifefighter (well, coz of the terrible animation in that episode, of course). :p

Gundam is probably the worst offender for doing recap episodes.  Dude, my brains not that bad with it's memory, now is it?

351843[/snapback]

Don't punish all of Gundam just because of SEED. Until SEED, the most clip shows Gundam ever had was two in Wing. SEED and DESTINY only recently set the trend for 4 clip shows in each series.

Episodes done by animefriend. is the ones I can't stand. Poor Quality in artistic skill. :(

360259[/snapback]

Word... the converse is also true: episodes that would have otherwise bored/irked me are saved by some of the best animation in the series (ie, Private Time and Romanesque - I'm a Misa fan).

Back on topic, Global Report blew <_<

Don't punish all of Gundam just because of SEED.  Until SEED, the most clip shows Gundam ever had was two in Wing.  SEED and DESTINY only recently set the trend for 4 clip shows in each series.

Wolf's Rain had 4 recap episodes in a row, and it was a 26 episodes series. I consider that the worst you can do.

Anyway, I do like Phantasm, and in fact I think it was one of the best episodes; Kawamori worked on it. I especially like the scene with 0-G Love, I love the kind of oxymoron of a tense scene with catchy pop music; for a beginner, like Kawamori was, that scene really showed talent. Also the magic bycicle scene was pissing hilarious.

Global's Report on the other hand added very little and was plainly boring.

FV

Definitely did not enjoy:

Kung Foo Dandy - sick of Kaifun and his antimilitary agenda

Global Report - damn recaps <_<

Virgin Road - craptacular animation and I honestly could care less about them getting married.

Phantasm - honestly I didn't dislike as much as others possibly b/c Hikaru had was becoming aware subconsciously of Misa.

Edited by Fortress_Maximus