Speculation: One Toy To Rule Them All...

Chet

With the sporadic releases from Yamato and nothing new from Bandai, one could be led to believe that Macross toy collectors have seen better days. Sure, there are still some releases from Yamato coming out...eventually.

So what's the one thing that could revitalize the industry? I'm beginning think that the design and release of one particular toy could rock Macross fandom and set fans on a feeding frenzy again, just like they did with the Bandai reissues and the early Yamato releases. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's already being considered.

What would this toy be?

How do you think you would react to the announcement of a 1/60 scale Valkyrie toy which featured PERFECT TRANSFORMATION (no parts removal) and diecast parts? :ph34r:

Just think about it. Doesn't it make sense? The smaller size should make it cheaper and easier to produce. I also read somewhere that the presence of diecast doesn't significantly increase the production cost of toys, so gokin snobs should be pleased.

More importantly, the technology is already there. I'm no engineer, but isn't it just a matter of adapting the technology of the 1/48 scale Valkyrie for a smaller toy, probably retaining the diecast in the legs that the old 1/60's had? I don't really know, but it sure seems that way to a layman like me. : :unsure:

Is it just a coincidence that, according to HLJ, almost all the old Yamato 1/60 scale Valkyries are discontinued? I guess a new 1/60 Valkyrie wouldn't render too many currently available Yamato products obsolete, eh? ;)

And Yamato probably wouldn't have to worry too much about collectors of the 1/48 scale Valkyries. These collectors are hard-core. If they lasted with this expensive hobby this long, they'll probably finish their collections of 1/48 toys regardless.

A new 1/60 Valkyrie would also open up the possibility for related products. Was the VF-0S sized at 1/60 scale precisely for this purpose? (yeah, I know it would've been frickin huge at 1/48 scale, but stay with me!) Perhaps newer 1/60 scale Valkyries would revitalize interest in Yamato's 1/60 Queadluun Rau's and even pave the way for more 1/60 Zentraedi mecha toys. Heck, if there was significant interest in a new 1/60 scale line, that could pave the way for the resurrection of the 1/60 scale Monster, the production of other Destroid toys in 1/60 scale, and may be even *gasp!* 1/60 scale Macross Plus toys, starting with a 1/60 scale YF-19 with Fast Pack?! :blink:

What do you guys think? B))

Edited by Chet

One toy to rule them all? Not sure. But i'm thinking if they can make the Yamato as a Chogokin, why not a perfect transformation, die-cast, super detailed DYRL? SDF-1? That would be fun. ;)

Hehehe, I'm glad I sold the only 1/60 Yammie I ever owned a few years back :)

Personally, the 1/60 scale VF-0 is the best thing Yamato could have released. Only 1/60 or 1/72 scales of the Macross Plus mecha in a comparable quality design to the 1/48 series could match my excitment over the VF-0.

As far as small stuff goes, I'm not interested. Neither am I interested in significantly larger stuff. Stuff like the 1/48 Yammies, the Aoshima dropship, and other like-sized model jets are the perfect scale in my opnion. They make perfect set pieces, like a good hardcover book. I'm not interested in toys as much as I am in replicas.

While I would love for the 1/48 mechanism to be shrunk down and mashed to the 1/60, I doubt it would be easy to accomplish, although it may sound like it. The parts in the nosecone would be TINY. And even if the hinges and Tbar were made out of diecast they would be very very thin, and prone to snap. A new more simple method of transformation might work better than to just copy the 1/48 mechanism. If anything, an all new mold high diecast perfect variable 1/60 would be more efficient. This might also increase 2ndary value of the original 1/60s in the collectors market since they could be valued for what they were and would be substantially different from the PV 1/60, similarities only in name and look.

But like I said, I am all for it, especially if its cheaper and has uninhibited articulation.

I think a highly realisticly detailed, perfect variable 1/18 VF-1 would be the be all end all of all macross toys. Before you all get paranoid and say its too huge, remember, in scale a VF-1 is similar in size to a F-16. The BBI F-16 was 1/18 and its wingspan and legnth were both a little over or under 3 ft. Plus it includes a gijoe size articulated pilot figure. The bigger size enables yamato to work larger and this of course makes things easier for them. Plus more room to hide hinges and such.

For all I know its a pipe dream but it would be awesome if a japanese company became incredibly ballsy and produced a big ass toy like that. I doubt it will ever happen but it would be awesome if it did.

One toy to rule them all? Not sure. But i'm thinking if they can make the Yamato as a Chogokin, why not a perfect transformation, die-cast, super detailed DYRL? SDF-1? That would be fun. ;)

346775[/snapback]

Totally agree. I don't understand the mind of yamato's product planning department. Do they really think they can sell more VB-6 than SDF-1?

Give us the SDF-1 we all wanted!

The 1/60 design still beats the 1/48 for better overall proportions, ESPECIALLY for battroid. I never could get over the 48's skeletal hands... I do agree that the diecast content in the 1/60 is overrated (flaking paint isn't cool when you didn't plan for it!) - it just needs to be in the right places, maybe as a ballast block in the lower legs etc. Judicious use of precision plastic molding would add heaps of details.

As for a perfect transformation? Not necessary to me if it jeopardizes the proportions like in the 1/48. Integrated heatshield is doable (many custom examples), but the best improvement it could have is a proper, durable and functioning locking mechanism in the fuselage for the hip joints. And a to-scale 1S head that doesn't suck.

You want a new Product or ONE TOY TO RULE THEM ALL!! Make the VF-2SS!!YOU HEAR ME YAMATO!!!

My precious!! My precious!!

:)

Take care guys!

Roberto

The 1/60 design still beats the 1/48 for better overall proportions, ESPECIALLY for battroid. I never could get over the 48's skeletal hands... I do agree that the diecast content in the 1/60 is overrated (flaking paint isn't cool when you didn't plan for it!) - it just needs to be in the right places, maybe as a ballast block in the lower legs etc. Judicious use of precision plastic molding would add heaps of details.

As for a perfect transformation? Not necessary to me if it jeopardizes the proportions like in the 1/48. Integrated heatshield is doable (many custom examples), but the best improvement it could have is a proper, durable and functioning locking mechanism in the fuselage for the hip joints. And a to-scale 1S head that doesn't suck.

346869[/snapback]

Perfect grade, perfect transformable, proper proportioned 1/60 vf1 by bandai would be nice. All the little mechanisms from the lineart should be included like the magic hands in the forearm, the insides of the robot (ie see the episode where britai rips the chest plate off the valk) and ejectable removable seat and all. (the seat would even have those little thrusters underneath) It should also have a slide mechansism for when the pilot wants to get out in robot mode and see what's outside by standing atop the shoulders of the robot.

You could easily pull apart the arm (the toy would be designed to have everything easily come apart like the banpresto toys) :D, swap the heads, and change hands (1/48 got this right) and also pose each individual finger.

Make it as superposable as possible so that you can even have the toy kneeling down and stuff. It would also destroy the old 1/60 in proportions and details because everything was built of tiny individual pieces by you and assembled with care.

Joint tension would be adjustable so you could have a floppy limb for easy poses for the camera, or really stiff if you want to keep it in a dramatic pose for a long time and need it to hold that way for a glass display which no one is suposed to touch.

That's it: 1/60 Bandai perfect grade vf1 would be my dream. It would also include the fast pack with the model. And you can easily convert it to be tv or movie valk. Then they would follow that up with PG yf19. :D And maybe include GPB armor set later.

Because the vf1 is smaller than a gundam it would have to be really skillfully made. I would like to see details underneath the toy for the hips in mid transformation like the lineart and no cheating. This would be the ultimate toy: the object would be to demonstrate how much detail you can cram into as small a space as possible without running the risk of making it easer to break.

You would have little details like max's reverse gunpod seen in DYRL, different looking feet thrusters inside the feet according to the type, LED lights on the shoulders, openable covers and stuff. It would feel like the thing was a real, living breathing miniture vf1 shrunk down to size with all the parts put together individually. (eg things like the front landing gear able to turn and the insides of the head turret having actual individually put together pieces behind the glass visor)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

If they ever did a perfectly variable 1/60 I'd be very wary of it. They better make darn sure that those little screw covers didn't come off in a stiff breeze. I was honestly quite underwhelmed by the VF 1/60s so I am very hesitant to rally behind the idea of them trying again. I think they made the right move by going to 1/48. If you dislike the hands so much it shouldn't be difficult for someone to mold a fist that barely fits within the hand chamber and flips out.

Like many MWers, I've had enough of the VF-1. The 1/48 VF-1 is fine for me. I'd have no interest in a Yamato perfect variable 1/60 VF-1 series. The only VF-1 related product I want to see from Yamato after the GBP comes out is a 1/48 VT-1 & VE-1.

I also think that 1/60 scale is perfect for the VF-0 (and hopefully an SV-51 as well :-) ). Any larger would be too big, any smaller could lead to durability issues or the need for parts swapping.

Hopefully, Yamato will revisit the Macross Plus toys, or at least just the YF-19 and release improved sculpts in a larger scale. For myself I'd be happy if they are in 1/60 or perhaps 1/55 scale.

Graham

a diecast replica of the sdf-1 and zentradi (sp) cruiser *two-pack* not sure what scale but about 12 inches long and sdf1 must transform!! oh and little vf1s to land on the deck. :p

But if they ever do another vf1 line, make it as posable as possible. Something equivalent to the Bandai GQ gundam seed destiny toys. If it is small and has less detail than 1/48, at least make it more posable, have tight joints, and is easy to balance and stuff.

Same thing with any future enemy mecha or destroids. Smaller scale stuff needs to be more lighter, and more fun to handle and pose. I would pay extra to get something that looks cool because it can move like it can in anime. :D

I'm happy that there is macross 0 stuff coming, but when they've finished with this, bring on the 1/60 macross plus stuff. (or maybe do some macross 7 toys: VF17S and D, VF11, VF19 Blazer valk and also the max and milia VF22S. You can just reuse what you did with the macross plus line :) )

Let's ust hope for a 1/60 YF-19, YF-21, and most importantly a VF-11B. Any of them would be just perfect!

Come on Yamato listen to your fans. We have made you rich enough...

347208[/snapback]

I completely agree! :(:)

348701[/snapback]

I don't.

:D Only all of them would be perfect.

I disagree with 1/1 LowViz Lurker though. With what they did for the 1/72 Macross + line, they should just drop it and come up with a brand new design while making them as big (+/- 2 cm - 3 cm) as the 1/48. 1/72s are not without their flaws. They should just go for it and make a perfect YF-19 and VF-11. With nothing left to improve, they should consider their job complete. Except for yearly reissues of course. :D Just in case we want a few extra....

But 1/60 would match up with 1/60 macross toys. (I don't mean match up in size, but when standing together they look at corect scale so when displaying them you can say "they are to scale with each other")

I figure if they have to increase size even more, then yeah I'm all for it, but if they don't need to, I'd be happy with 1/60. The bandai mac7 stuff is pretty big at 1/65 scale and these are pretty sturdy. (I'm a fan of: "make them as small and detailed as you can, but make them bigger only if necessary and it means more details and more durability that you can't get at smaller size")

Then after the 1/60 macross plus line, do the 1/60 macross 7 line and just borrow what they learned from 1/60 macross plus line. eg after 1/60 YF-21 with FP they can make the macross 7 VF22S. I like the head of the vf22 and it wouldn't be that hard after finishing macross plus. This is what I mean by "borrowing"/milking what was already complete.

As for 1/72, I'm not a fan of those either. This is why they should upscale them to 1/60. But start with yf19 fp first. :)

A 1/48 yf19 is too big. I don't think I can afford that anyway what with the prices of things going up. :(

The more affordable the toy, the faster the cashflow and the more that can buy it. The more that can get it, the more money they can make to fund a line of super posable 1/60 destroids. :D

I would still buy a 1/48-sized macross plus toy too, if it meant we got the same level of details as 1/48 vf1. But something too big is going to be taking up lots of space and hard to transform and stuff. Things that are too big for no good reason just aren't practical to own imo.

See the thing is 1/60 is pretty decent for a variety of stuff. The QRau is pretty hefty and if they were to in future do more 1/60 (like with Mac 0 toys) it would look good when you stand stuff together of the same scale. I would rather stand a VF0 in battroid mode near a 1/60 VF1 and 1/60 Qrau and a 1/60 destroid so they are correct size to the viewer and they can see the difference.

If in the end they go 1/55 I would be happy. As long as they don't look like a chunky monkey :D or become too expensive that most of the cost goes into the sheer size of the thing rather than its quality.

I agreed with the 1/60. You'd be silly to wish for something in 1/48. I don't like the idea of rehashing the same old 1/72 line with the Macross+ toys taht's all. I hate those toys to be honest. Not Yamato's best.