The new Who costumes have been bland but that one takes it to a whole new level of bland. He might as well be working in an office.

Dynaman clearly speaks with authority, because all of the Doctor Who fans loved this non-bland costume *sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo* much!!!!

sixth-doctor-1.jpg

Dynaman clearly speaks with authority, because all of the Doctor Who fans loved this non-bland costume *sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo* much!!!!

sixth-doctor-1.jpg

The Cybermen are attacking, what do we do???

Find the guy who looks like he was dressed by a five year old.

To be fair, wasn't Tennant just wearing his own suits with a pair of All Stars? It wasn't until he added the trench coat that he looked Doctor-y,

This costume gives me a Pertwee vibe, but it needs a shoulder cape. The all-black seems odd for the Doctor, though.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

There are "rumors" of some season 8 work prints being leaked. If you watch them spoiler tag everything until it officially airs.

Yeah, not a rumor. BBC admitted that they're real. And let that be a lesson to never use an unsecured server to transfer things you want to stay out of the public view.

S8 episode titles, writers, and directors

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/New-Series-All-the-Episode-Titles-and-More

Episode 1: Deep Breath

Written by Steven Moffat

Directed by Ben Wheatley

Episode 2: Into The Dalek

Written by Phil Ford and Steven Moffat

Directed by Ben Wheatley

Introducing Samuel Anderson as Danny Pink

Episode 3: Robot Of Sherwood

Written by Mark Gatiss

Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 4: Listen

Written by Steven Moffat

Directed by Douglas Mackinnon

Episode 5: Time Heist

Written by Stephen Thompson and Steven Moffat

Episode 6: The Caretaker

Written by Gareth Roberts and Steven Moffat

Directed by Paul Murphy

Episode 7: Kill The Moon

Written by Peter Harness

Directed by Paul Wilmshurst

Episode 8: Mummy On The Orient Express

Written by Jamie Mathieson

Directed by Paul Wilmshurst

Episode 9: Flatline

Written by Jamie Mathieson

Episode 10: In The Forest Of The Night

Written by Frank Cottrell Boyce

Directed by Sheree Folkson

Episode 11/12 Dark Water/Death In Heaven

Written by Steven Moffat

Directed by Rachel Talalay

Now I saw it. Concept opening there, liked it more, had a nicer punch to it. The official, it's okay, it just doesn't have that same grab I liked.

Episode wise...not bad, typical steven moffat I think. Capaldi, I like him, but damn he's hard for me to understand from time to time. I think it's just cause he's scottish.

I haven't seen the whole episode yet. Hopefully I can finish it over lunch today.

So far, ok. But it always takes me about 3 episodes to get into a new Doctor.

I don't mind the music of the new titles, but I'm "meh" on the graphics. It seems a little too literal for me, and I miss the vortex. I still think it's better that the 6/7 opening credits, though.

I dislike the new theme song immensely. My mother put it best, "does it sound 'tinny' to you?" Yes, yes it does. Just get Paul and Phil Hartnoll to do the theme instead, it'll be better for it.

Oddly, I do have a hard time understanding Capaldi as well. And it's not like he has a terribly thick Scottish accent either.

For Christ' sake, how many goodbye's does Matt Smith get???

I do find the "acceptance" speech about the older doctor amusing. If we had started off this new run with an old guy all of you young people wouldn't have watched. Way to point a finger at your own audience. lol

I have a fondness for the time tunnel/vortex effect because I started watching Doctor Who with Tom Baker as the lead. And with John Pertwee before him, that effect has been around a while with a few subtle tweaks here and there. I was happy to see it return with NewWho

The old black & white openings were especially earie, though. I think Hartnell's rip-in-time is my favorite of all of the DW openings.

Capaldi's new opening is different. It reminds me of the jump in style from the vortex to the starfield opening in Tom Baker's later series that the BBC also used for Peter Davison and Colin Baker. Of all the openings, I think Sylvester McCoy was given the shortest hand. Those CGI asteroids should have been cut from the final version. :o

Update: My niece and I watched the first full episode with Mr. Capaldi yesterday, Deep Breath. I agree that a lot of the dialogue between Clara and the Doctor was written for the younger viewers and not for us older fans who have seen the Doctor regenerate from old to young,from athletic to squishy, and back again countless times. She did miss the beat from the previous openings and was not keen on the dissonance in the new version.

That said, I think she warmed up very quickly to seeing Peter Capaldi as the Doctor, recognizing familiar antics even though there are darker tones that contrast very much to Smith's portrayal. She is working her way through the new series again on Netflix, so it will be interesting to see what she thinks with everything fresh in her memory.

Oh, and she loved Smith's encore. For my part, it reminded me of the end of Logopolis. Baker's words were even echoing in my head, "This moment has been prepared for."

Edited by technoblue

• 4 weeks later...

After watching the past three episodes...I'm still not sure. I like the older doctor and the fact that he's basically told Clara that he doesn't find her attractive at all..great more for me!! But I still don't know about the doctor..He's something, and I can't quite figure out just what! It's like he's trying real hard to be the doctor instead of just being the doctor..Does that make any sense? :blink:

He's the doctor that's trying to figure out if he's good or evil and Clara doesn't know. He's differently then 11 as he doesn't just drop in and grab the companion when he wants him/her, 12 goes "hey you busy? Yes? I'll come back later. Oh good you aren't busy. Yoink!" Not that he isn't above manipulating situations so that she isn't busy... :p

The whole am I good or evil seems unnecessary.

The War Doctor had to make a lot of hard choices.

The 9th Doctor was carrying a lot of baggage from what he did as The War Doctor. He's the Doctor that was trying to figure out if he's good or evil.

The 10th and 11th seemed to conclude they were good.

The current one is acting like the 10th and 11th weren't even there.

The 50th special gave hope to the 10th & 11th Doctors. Didn't?

The 11th Doctor died but didn't he do it saving Christmas and didn't act like he did terrible things.

The current one is trying to figure out if he's good or evil because?

Finally a sentence that doesn't start with the. Was anyone disappointed that the first episode of the news series skipping over a lot of stuff? It was like here's the new Doctor. You don't need to know about his first 2 weeks in a new body. I just want to stick him with my pet characters right away.

The whole am I good or evil seems unnecessary.

The War Doctor had to make a lot of hard choices.

The 9th Doctor was carrying a lot of baggage from what he did as The War Doctor. He's the Doctor that was trying to figure out if he's good or evil.

The 10th and 11th seemed to conclude they were good.

The current one is acting like the 10th and 11th weren't even there.

The 50th special gave hope to the 10th & 11th Doctors. Didn't?

The 11th Doctor died but didn't he do it saving Christmas and didn't act like he did terrible things.

The current one is trying to figure out if he's good or evil because?

Finally a sentence that doesn't start with the. Was anyone disappointed that the first episode of the news series skipping over a lot of stuff? It was like here's the new Doctor. You don't need to know about his first 2 weeks in a new body. I just want to stick him with my pet characters right away.

The War Doctor only made hard choices because the 8th Doctor wanted no part in the time wars, but after his accident and the death of someone he tried to save who declined because she thought the Time Lords were just horrible people, he felt he needed to find a way to end this fight himself.

9th Doctor, I dunno how to really place him. Because in that first episode he makes comments over his regeneration like it had not happened very long ago. Yet when Rose is researching him, there's pictures of him all over different ages and history lik ehe's been around for centuries in that body. Even in the end of the first season he exclaims it's been a long time since he regenerated.

10th Doctor, he still had some anger built up and even defied his principles as a time lord cause he was the last. It was always about establishing who he was and what he could do and to damn with the rest. But this attitude of his got a lot of people killed. There aren't a lot of episodes I can think of where there were many, if at all, survivors of his battles.

11th Doctor threw all of that away, it was like he was saying time for a fresh new start and saw that happening with the help of Amy. And with this new face and attitude he tossed everything aside and made peace with his mistakes. Though the mention of it tears him up and he tries to run from it.

This doctor, he hasn't established himself I think, and like many times after the Doctor regenerates he gets jumpy and misplaced and takes time to adjust. Memories get jumbled and sometimes lost. Is he good? is he evil? He's a bit of both. I dunno, I"m getting deep and rambling. But he's only 4, now wha? 5 episodes in? It took a while for ppl to grow with Matt Smith, even I wasn't big on him. I think Capaldi is trying to be a doctor that everyone related too way long ago. But we got so use to Matt Smith's version that we're forgetting what the Doctor really is.

This doctor, he hasn't established himself I think, and like many times after the Doctor regenerates he gets jumpy and misplaced and takes time to adjust.

That's probably the point of this season. Establish who he is. I don't think it's a question of is he good or evil. The line of "Am I a good man?" could imply "Am I a person who does the right thing, regardless of how it's done." He may perform an act of cruelty but do the ends justify the means? He doesn't see himself as a hero but others do, so is he a hero? He's afraid even if he puts on a show to make you think he isn't.