• 1 month later...

Didn't know the GI was an old enemy. Had to google that one. The only older Doctor Who's I've watched were what was brought over by the networks and that was mainly the Bakers and the GI wasn't in those years.

Steven Moffat seems to be more keen than Russell T. Davies was to pay homage to previous Who lore.

• 4 weeks later...

According to reports, next series to debut in the U.K. on the 30th March. If its not postponed for snooker or international welly flinging [1].

Didn't know the GI was an old enemy. Had to google that one. The only older Doctor Who's I've watched were what was brought over by the networks and that was mainly the Bakers and the GI wasn't in those years.

Bit of a late follow-up, but I just re-watched the Christmas special and did some background reading - apparently even the biscuit tin is a reference to a previous adventure, and the Doctors lack of memory about meeting the "Intelligence" before is a shout-out to the fact that the adventure in question was one of those wiped during an archive purge at the BBC in the 70s...!

[1] For the younger generation: in the days before catch-up on demand services or personal media recorders, and when the choice of channels in the UK was limited to 3, having a favourite sci-fi programme postponed - or worse, not shown entirely - because some sporting fixture couldn't finish at the agreed time was the most annoying thing in the universe. And, this being the UK, in those days everything on TV was sport... :)

Edited by F-ZeroOne

• 1 month later...

dalek_2490953b.jpg

A sad farewell today for Ray Cusick, the man who actually designed the Daleks. I think he never got enough credit for his outstanding work with these SF creations, Terry Nation only scripted them and gave a rough description. It was Ray who actually created the iconic design. He will be missed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well when T-Baker left he didn't want to come back for the 5 doctors becuase he had just finished his run like the year before, and after doing it for so long, what 6-7 years, he had to seperate himself a bit, so it is understandable, but he did not throw a fit about it, and after that said he would love to get back into it. Eccelston has completely sworn off Dr Who, partially becuase he did not like the direction the show runners were taking the show, most notably he did not like the gay storylines that were slipping in, and he had some issue with the doctor having a romance with his companion, there were other issues too, but from what I have heard that is the biggest one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yay! Time for a new Doctor that isn't so flaily and spastic. Maybe a new showrunner who won't take half year mid season hiatus after only 8 episodes too? That'd be nice.

Could still happen though.

Either way, heard rumors that Damian Lewis is up for consideration, that would mean the Doctor could finally be Ginger! However I don't see the actor right now BEING the Doctor. There's also rumors going around of Tennant coming back. No idea how that would all play, but Paradox's do happen.

Just a piece of advice, considering we are talking about a UK-originating show, that last word has a different and much more insulting meaning in the UK than I believe it does in the US.

Learn something new every day. No idea how disabled people are connected with that word(wiki) but at least I know not to call someone that when I'm in the UK.

Learn something new every day. No idea how disabled people are connected with that word(wiki) but at least I know not to call someone that when I'm in the UK.

I've seen it to describe my son's condition by a couple UK folks in the past, it seems to be regarded similarly to the word retarded or retard here in the states.

Hasbro actually had to rename a "Transformers" toy in the UK because of this issue; thats how I became aware of it in the first place. However, similarly, though I've heard the word used several times in US media (most infamously, by Frank Millers "All-Star Batman"), I hadn't previously been aware that "retarded" has similar connatations in the US; I think when its used here in the UK its intended in a generally milder manner and probably because its something people have picked up from imported TV without realising.

Anyway, back to the Time Lord... :) Regards all the speculation about casting, I very much think that - ahem - whoever is it, its going to be a similar situation to the last three choices i.e. someone who has done some previous work in TV/film, possibly even critically acclaimed work, but not someone who is generally known to the public.

Edited by F-ZeroOne

There is talk of it being a woman...........

Not sure how that would work or how they would run that plot line.

I have also heard rumors of them considering casting an actor of Afro Caribbean origin.

What ever they choose I'm sure we will all still love it.

Although in the last episode they revealed John Hurt as the new doctor http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/23/doctor-who-john-hurt-50th-anniversary-show_n_3324473.html

Edited by big F

> There is talk of it being a woman...........

There has been talk of that since the eighties, and it would be a BAD idea. They want a woman they should bring Romana back and give her a show for a season (they have an excuse, she is in an alternate dimension).

> There is talk of it being a woman...........

There has been talk of that since the eighties, and it would be a BAD idea. They want a woman they should bring Romana back and give her a show for a season (they have an excuse, she is in an alternate dimension).

She is? I thought she was that old woman in the End of Time movie?

She is? I thought she was that old woman in the End of Time movie?

If she is I did not catch the reference, last I remember she was stuck in E-Space.

[edit] - I see that some DW books pulled her out of E-Space, but I have no idea if they are considered Cannon or not.

Edited by Dynaman