Finally the truth comes out. NINE! Patrick Troughton episodes have been recovered, including ALL of the missing episodes from "Enemy of the World" and most of the missing episodes from "The Web of Fear". (There is still one episode missing from that story, D'oh).

All in all, a very big haul and an excellent way to celebrate the 50th anniversary. It brings the total number of missing episodes down to 97. While it is for certain, realistically, that they will never all be recovered, it gives us hope for the future......

Yeah. It would have been great if they had recovered some Hartnell stuff but I think that the Troughton era has the most missing episodes, so I think that this was one of the best possible results.

There are still murmurings of more stuff having been found, but that still has to be considered as unconfirmed rumors....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh, what a tease! That was a fantastic eight-minute episode, and now I'm thinking of what could have been if history had been just a little bit different all those years ago. If McGann is available and the BBC is willing to make it so, I would definitely watch a prequel or extended mini series in some format.

Loved seeing McGann again. I loved the Eighth doctor got all the audio dramas and movie he done, so it was a real surprise to see him here. Really made my day. I had a hunch that Hurt would be the Eigth as his doctor was in alot of warzones and the last time he went back to Gallifrey before Ninth.

Today's the 45th Anniversary of Doctor Who and no one even gives a shout-out?

You disappoint me, Taksraven.

Cheers for that five years ago, Gubaba.

Today is the real prize that the fans were eyeing though.

HAPPY 5OTH ANNIVERSARY, DOCTOR WHO!!!

William_Hartnell.jpg

I saw it at the cinema. Great atmosphere, everybody really enjoying the show. THIS is the moment when the room ABSOLUTELY EXPLODED with cheers and applause!!!

1185671_393836507414932_84134359_n.jpg

Edited by taksraven

Talking of fan-service... :) (slightly spoilery and iPlayer, so unfortunately might not be available in all regions... )

http://io9.com/classic-doctor-who-actors-try-to-join-the-special-in-a-1470442008

Yeah, that show is really good too. The Ian McKellan cameo is *funny*. Everybody does a great job taking the piss out of themselves.....

Edited by taksraven

Oh my gosh, I cracked up when Tom says: "Greetings, but I seem to be stuck in the sodding time vortex....AGAIN!! :lol:

I think it's really Culshaw doing "Tom" though, not that I have a problem with that....

Bravo! One of the things I really enjoy about Moffat's take on Doctor Who is how well he weaves together the classic show with the new series. It was also very nice seeing John Hurt again in a Sci-Fi role without something bursting out of his chest.

The cameos (in the preview and the episode) were just thick timey-wimey icing on an already well dressed cake.

Still...

Seeing Tom again, brought tears to my eyes as well. That was an epic scene.

Edited by technoblue

Saw it last night in a theater packed with a bunch of Nerds (self most assuredly included!). The Doc's favorite Sontaran Strax (I think) started off the fun by telling everyone proper theater etiquette, then the Doctors do a little stint. Those two alone almost made up for the 30 MINUTES of filler they stuffed in before the show started.

As for the show itself, loved it. Loved the little featurette at the end as well as the narrator.

Last night, caught an article, don't know if anyones read it. But Moffat has gone on record stating that Math Smith isn't even the 12th Doctor, he's actually the final regeneration of our beloved Doctor, the 13th. He's putting it down that all Time Lords can only regenerate 12 times, and that this is science fiction and you just can't break those kind of rules.

Now before anyone blows up on this, here's what he states, The War Doctor counts as Doctor #9, then Eccelston as 10, Tennant as 10 and 11, why both? Because the Doctor had a Meta-Crisis Regeneration when he faced Davros and the Daleks sending his Regeneration energy into his severed hand creating an additional Doctor. And then finally we have Matt Smith as the 12th, or 13th incarnation if you count from Hartnell up.

Fans who've found out about this are rather outraged some poking plot holes such as in the impossible astronaught episode the Doctor was Regenerating when he was shot. But then again, that wasn't the Doctor.

Later in Let's Kill Hitler, River gave him her Regeneration powers. So he should be freshly topped off shouldn't he? Let's not forget he even used some of his abilities to heal River from a broken wrist in the end of the first half of series 7.

Also let's not forget, the blue berry man (Can't remember his name) refers to him as the 11th as well.

However the Doctor did say he is burried in Trensolaur and there's nothing he can do to stop it, and of course we now know that the christmas special is taking place there and will be the final appearance of Matt Smith.

My theory is Capaldi is a completely different time lord who the Doctor bumps into and his character is probably filled with regrets or something from the Time Wars himself and in an act of bravery redeems himself in some way with helping the Doctor continue his legacy and gives Capaldi's Time Lord the name, The Doctor since it's a name chosen.

Hikuro, you are over thinking this, especially considering that Moffat is known to lie from time to time.

Very true, I'm taking it with a grain of salt. But Moffat has also taken the years Davies established Series 1-4 and the movies and thrown them out the window as well.

Last night, caught an article, don't know if anyones read it. But Moffat has gone on record stating that Math Smith isn't even the 12th Doctor, he's actually the final regeneration of our beloved Doctor, the 13th. He's putting it down that all Time Lords can only regenerate 12 times, and that this is science fiction and you just can't break those kind of rules.

FYI, the "12 regenerations for a Time Lord" rule was first set out in "The Deadly Assassin" in 1976. The Master had used up his 12 regenerations and was seeking to give himself a new set of regenerations by harnessing the powers of the Eye of Harmony (which was located in the Gallifrey capital at that time, NOT in the Tardis). That plan failed.

When the Master appeared next in "Keeper of the Traken" he was still seeking to regenerate his decayed body. At the end of the story he "body snatches" a new body from the Traken "Tremas" (anagram of Master, geddit) which is another way that Time Lords can regenerate.

I think when the Master returned in the new series it was explained that the Time Lords had revived him and given him a new set of regenerations so he would fight for them in the Time War.

I am not even going to try to figure out what was going on with the Master and his body in the 1996 Telemovie. LOL.

Edited by taksraven

And the rules set in The Deadly Assassin were not even hard and fast in the classic series. Remember The Five Doctors? The Time Lords were prepared to use the power of Rassilon to give the Master a complete set of regenerations during that episode. Anyone getting upset about the number of regenerations needs to take a deep breath and remember it's just a story. The rules change to satisfy the plot. We even got thosed funky fob watches to make the Doctor and the Master human!

Also, I thought Day of the Doctor was pretty clear on one point:

Introducing Peter Capaldi as the thirteenth Doctor when he and the rest were placing Gallifrey into the time bubble.

Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Moffat has something else up his sleeve, but I don't think it is the end of the world either.