I thought Russel Davies introduced Eccleston's Doctor in a clever way. Like Hartnell's Doctor from the classic series, we were introduced to this strange, alien character. This time he didn't have any family with him (I never adopted JNT's interpretation of Susan), and it was evident from the beginning that something from his past was haunting him. He didn't start the show with any companions. It took that whole pilot episode for him and Rose to click, and it took one whole regeneration for him to warm up to Mickey.

I think Steven Moffat's retroactive additions are part of some plan to answer the questions that Davies left open. Perhaps we will see more of Gallifrey? At the very least I think we will see more Time Lords. Moffat has shown that he has an affinity for nostalgia in his storytelling. He likes to revisit ideas, and he likes to drop hints. Capaldi keeps referencing his character in The Fires of Pompeii. I wonder why that is? And I wonder what we, the audience should be taking away from that cue?

Time Heist was a really fun episode. Right on the level with Planet of the Dead, I thought. After a regeneration, the new Doctor has growing pains when transitioning into the role, but I think Capaldi keeps improving with each new week.

Edited by technoblue

I thought Russel Davies introduced Eccleston's Doctor in a clever way. Like Hartnell's Doctor from the classic series, we were introduced to this strange, alien character. This time he didn't have any family with him (I never adopted JNT's interpretation of Susan), and it was evident from the beginning that something from his past was haunting him. He didn't start the show with any companions. It took that whole pilot episode for him and Rose to click, and it took one whole regeneration for him to warm up to Mickey.

I think Steven Moffat's retroactive additions are part of some plan to answer the questions that Davies left open. Perhaps we will see more of Gallifrey? At the very least I think we will see more Time Lords. Moffat has shown that he has an affinity for nostalgia in his storytelling. He likes to revisit ideas, and he likes to drop hints. Capaldi keeps referencing his character in The Fires of Pompeii. I wonder why that is? And I wonder what we, the audience should be taking away from that cue?

Time Heist was a really fun episode. Right on the level with Planet of the Dead, I thought. After a regeneration, the new Doctor has growing pains when transitioning into the role, but I think Capaldi keeps improving with each new week.

In an interview earlier this summer Moffat straight up said he was going to address the fact Capaldi already showed up in Fires of Pompeii directly.

In an interview earlier this summer Moffat straight up said he was going to address the fact Capaldi already showed up in Fires of Pompeii directly.

Unfortunately, he never mentioned WHEN he would get to that.

Doctor Who: Steven Moffat has an explanation for Peter Capaldi’s earlier appearances

The whole am I good or evil seems unnecessary.

The War Doctor had to make a lot of hard choices.

The 9th Doctor was carrying a lot of baggage from what he did as The War Doctor. He's the Doctor that was trying to figure out if he's good or evil.

The 10th and 11th seemed to conclude they were good.

The current one is acting like the 10th and 11th weren't even there.

The 50th special gave hope to the 10th & 11th Doctors. Didn't?

The 11th Doctor died but didn't he do it saving Christmas and didn't act like he did terrible things.

The current one is trying to figure out if he's good or evil because?

Finally a sentence that doesn't start with the. Was anyone disappointed that the first episode of the news series skipping over a lot of stuff? It was like here's the new Doctor. You don't need to know about his first 2 weeks in a new body. I just want to stick him with my pet characters right away.

Actually the whole thing about whether or not he is a good man all hinges on the return of Gallifrey. Think about it, would a good man bring back the timelords and risk restarting the time war, or doom his people to being eternaly trapped in a terrifying moment in time?

• 2 weeks later...

After the moon episode I'm starting to think that the BBC wanted to get rid of Dr. Who but needed to make the fans hate the show first.

The season opener was excellent (Drax, can't have too much Drax) but I don't remember ANY of the other episodes at all, not a good sign.

I liked the first one, and the Robin Hood episode I felt was a very enjoyable bit of escapism. The rest... hmm. The trouble with having an unlikeable Doctor is that the stories had better be bloody good to compensate until he regains his bearings, and... I liked the premise of the episode, and the Doctors had the final few minutes coming the whole series, but every bit that touched upon science made my brain hurt...

Has everyone forgotten Eccleston's Doctor already? He had a rough personality that wasn't always "roses" for humanity. It reminded me a lot of Hartnell and Pertwee from the classic series. I love the stories that remind me that the Doctor is very much an alien, and even though he has adopted the earth, he does not always take humanity's side. I think these arguments between him and Clara are a long time coming.

And for those of us who have seen the classic series, this has also happened before. Moffat is weaving more nostalgia into the story. Colin Baker's Doctor often debated/argued with Peri. Tom Baker's Doctor was not on good terms with Adric. A number of the Doctors, although they respected the Brigadier, did not always agree with him or his methods. Nothing that Moffat is doing this season is out of character. I think everyone has become too used to the smitten Doctor. And the powers that be are taking their time wiping the slate clean.

My niece continues to watch the show and enjoy it immensely. Matt Smith is still her favorite Doctor and she is a preteen. Capaldi's performance was a bit of a shock for her at first. However, each new episode has given her something new to latch onto, which she likes. Courtney, for example, was a surprise addition to the TARDIS crew that she loved. IIRC, we haven't seen a younger traveling companion at all in NuWho. I'll have to watch the early Amy Pond episodes again. I think Matt Smith's Doctor was only ever visiting her as a child.

I also thought the crisis and the Doctor's actions really helped to develop Clara's character. I'm looking forward to the ultimate resolution.

Edited by technoblue

The Robin Hood episode, that WAS a fun little romp. How could I forget that?

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia - but it has to be done correctly, it does not excuse a boring show. Eccleston is a good comparison, the episodes continually improved throughout the season, while the episodes of this season started with a bang and have been hit or miss since.

I appreciate different opinions. That's cool.

The show was originally written for Matt Smith, but put on hold. I haven't been keeping up, so I don't know how many of Capaldi's episodes are actually recycled Matt Smith episodes cut from earlier seasons. Anyway, Wikipedia notes good numbers if you are into that info (The link is between spoiler tags because of Wikipedia's spoilerific plot summary):

Edited by technoblue

Thinking on the episode more, three Earth women were put in the position of choosing to save or destroy their own planet. It's not unlike the three Doctors (well, the one at first) and Galifrey, though the circumstances for the decision were different. I wonder if there will be another payoff (other than Clara's super awesome lecture) to this later in the season.

I like that Capaldi is like Hartnell. I just wish in the tradition of Hartnell that Moffat wouldn't try some over-reaching story arc. The reset to a Hartnell type doctor should be also a reset to more stand-alone type episodes.

Also the Pink character (name not the color), I just can't stand! It is like they took the worst of Rory (before he grew a set) and Mickey and merged it into Pink!

Still like Clara, and I think the kid has the potential to be a great character!

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last few years many talking heads have babbled about the Doctor needing to be a woman. I still think "needing" to be anything just because is stupid and unnecessary, but tonight Jenna Coleman proved to me a female Doctor could work with the right personality.

This and the Orient Express episode were very good, makes me forget the moon one. As for the episode Arc - since it is a lot like the first season one (really, the only "arc" in most of them was the word Bad Wolf popping up somewhere) I don't worry about it - all will be explained in the last episode...

• 2 weeks later...

The Missy reveal was a disappointment, I should have known they would go that way with the clues they left all season, but it completely negates that character's sacrifice from their last appearance. It does open certain other doors for next season though.

The Missy reveal was a disappointment, I should have known they would go that way with the clues they left all season, but it completely negates that character's sacrifice from their last appearance. It does open certain other doors for next season though.

Was it really a sacrifice though?

I agree. There were a handful of characters to choose from and going with who they did seems too easy. My hope is that we (and the Doctor) haven't seen Missy's full hand. With truths and half-truths there is room for some surprises and flexibility without ruining it for the audience. Still, the episode as a whole was fun.

So what is with the retcon about Clara's day job?

First she's a Nanny that takes trips with the Doctor.

We start this series and she's like always been a teacher.

You missed the 50th anniversary special didn't you?

When she said "Mistress" at first I thought "romana went bonkers?"

Liked this episode a lot, only problem is that it now gives gasoline and a match to the "next Dr. should be female" bunch.

My thoughts exactly, and I would have rather she been that character, especially based on the dialogue. This and the Flat Aliens episode definitely add fuel to the

next doctor should be female fire

which I am not for, but not against either depending on the casting.